DC Cinematic Universe

TheVader66

Ah, Thank You for the link, I can't wait to re-watch the film now, are those Injustice Character Models in you avatar and signature?

Welcome. :) Same here, there's something about watching a good movie at home that sounds more comfortable to me than watching it at a cinema haha.

Yes they are, from the mobile version actually. I can send you the link to all the renders via pm If you want.

• Like 1

Still mixed about whether I liked it or not.  It's probably a 6/10 overall for as a film and a 7.5/10 as a fan of the lore.

As a DC fan I enjoyed seeing all the stuff taken from the source, older Bruce Wayne and the Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns batsuit looked great on screen.  The conflict between the two title characters was setup well.

The death of superman and the Darkseid / parademon portents were a decent nod of the hat, but maybe a little too soon

Gal Godot was surprisingly good, but doomsday looked a little too much like a Lord of the Rings troll.  Overall it felt like too much was squeezed in here and it just wasn't executed that well.  Eisenberg was a real low point, just didn't work for me.  I would prefer older Lex rather than young Crisis era Alexander.

I loved it. Though a few things that I didn't really like. Jesse Eisenburg as Lex Luthor, he seemed more like a watered down Joker than Lex Luthor. The film was spread thin, they tried to introduce more than a film could actually contain without seeming jumbled. Which I can see why the average film goer would rate the film lower. As the film wasn't meant to seem jumbled, as apposed to films that designed to be jumbled like Memento, which was a pretty good movie..... I thought Ben Affleck was a great batman and can't wait for his solo batman movie.

• Like 2

I'm a long time comic collector, with a collection in the thousands, going back to the Golden Age, and I am surprised that so many other long time fans liked this movie. It was pond scum. Mostly, it was boring, and any (non)subtle nods to history were immediately ruined by unnecessary, loud explosions and what not.

I thought DC made a mistake giving its universe to hack Zack, and I wasn't wrong. But unlije hus earlier outing Man of Steel, I thought this movie was flawed in concept, so even a good director probably coukdn't save it.

Oh well - at least DC is getting its TV shows right on CW.

Edited by starcrunch061

I just saw Batman v Superman tonight and thought it was excellent. Although Lex seemed to try to be a bit of the Joker and the Riddler which was odd but mostly he was good.

Surprised to see Ben Affleck be so good as Batman. I expected him to be absolutely shit. Also liked Jeremy Irons as Alfred, great pick.

Just came back from BvS. All I can say is that walking into the theater, I was optimistic that the fans were right and the critics were wrong. Sadly I agree with the critics on this one. Movie was garbage. 2 and a half hours of garbled mess, too many things happening at once, and so much of the plot either felt rushed or empty. Affleck's Batman was good, and I enjoyed Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. I fucking hated Lex Luthor. They tried so hard to make him a quirky, eccentric villain but instead he was so cringy and annoying to watch that I eagerly waited for any of his scenes to be over. And Doomsday? I'd rather they scrap his character out of the movie and just make Lex the big bad.

I had great expectations that DC would make a good comeback but after this honestly I was disappointed, especially considering how long this movie has been hyped for. Well, let's hope Suicide Squad delivers at least.

I fucking hated Lex Luthor. 

*snip

This probably annoyed me more than anything else in the movie. I was really excited for a return to the old redheaded Luthor of the Golden Age; he was a great, evil mastermind that sold arms, killed scientists, manipulated stock markets and crime families, etc. This one...was just a ham. 

In regards to the rest, I agree as well. Why not put Lex into one of his old robot suits or something? Was there really any need for Doomsday? 

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

This probably annoyed me more than anything else in the movie. I was really excited for a return to the old redheaded Luthor of the Golden Age; he was a great, evil mastermind that sold arms, killed scientists, manipulated stock markets and crime families, etc. This one...was just a ham. 

In regards to the rest, I agree as well. Why not put Lex into one of his old robot suits or something? Was there really any need for Doomsday? 

Doomsday is considered one of the strongest beings and biggest threats to Superman in the DC lore and they reduced him to Lex Jr.'s science experiment with 20 minutes of screen time and nowhere near as powerful/frightening as he was supposed to be. They unnecessarily shoehorned him into the movie just to boost viewer interest. 

• 3 months later...

Wonder Woman Trailer

I'm getting a captain america first advenger vibe from this

Yeah, a lot of heroes from both DC and Marvel were created during the 2nd World War to raise morale for the Allied Forces fighting overseas. Though it seems that they moved Wonder Woman origin to taked place during the 1st World War instead of the 2nd, maybe so it won't be too similar to Captain America

After the events of SDCC 16, you can tell DC is taking reactions to BvS to heart. Heck they even put jokes in the Justice League teaser. I'm not sure about the Flash actor yet, but I'm all in for the Wonder Woman movie!

Yeah, I can't wait for Wonder Woman either. She is my favorite female superhero.

I can't really say I'm pleased with DC's cinematic universe, to be honest. Batman v Superman was a catastrophic failure and Man of Steel just bored me to death. I'm really looking forward to Justice League and Suicide Squad, though, so maybe they can coax some love out of me yet. I was never a Wonder Woman fan so I won't even bother with that, and the other movies are too far in the future for me to care about right now.

Honestly, Marvel is kicking so much cinema ass that I don't see how DC could ever outmatch them in the theater. 

After the events of SDCC 16, you can tell DC is taking reactions to BvS to heart. Heck they even put jokes in the Justice League teaser. I'm not sure about the Flash actor yet, but I'm all in for the Wonder Woman movie!

The guy can certainly act, he's super sinister in 'We need to talk about Kevin', interesting to see how he works as a good guy though.  The Wonder Woman film is significant in it's own way as Marvel still hasn't put out a film with a strong female lead despite putting out a bajilion films already.

Still hopeful for Suicide Squad this weekend.

As much as I prefer DC as a whole, DC will never outmatch Marvel in cinema. Marvel has been establishing a solid cinematic universe for almost 10 years, and consistently pumping out great movies each year (some bad ones I'll admit, like Thor 2 or Iron Man 2, but mostly good). DC on the other hand has been taking forever and is trying to catch up.. And so far they did a lousy job with BvS. Hopefully Suicide Squad redeems them, however now I even hear that movie is getting mixed reviews.

So I've been sinking in with my thoughts on Suicide Squad for a few hours now after watching it, and man. This truly is the biggest disappointment I've seen of a movie in all year. I'd say it's even more disappointing than BvS, because this Had the potential to be not just a good DCU movie but a good movie overall.

All the trailers looked really good, it was even directed by David Ayer (Not Zack Snyder) who's done some great movies (End of Watch, Fury, even Training Day) but here? It felt like he was mimicking Zack Snyder with the slo-mo scenes, choppy editing, and really felt like he didn't gave a fuck for a lot of it.

Ok, this movie has seriously plenty of big problems, the movie was bad, well not That bad, but it certainly was not very good at all.

I feel like I wanna throw my biggest criticisms to this movie so here it is.

Spoilers:

Dead Shot and Harley Quinn were alright and no shocker because they were the main characters in the squad, the Joker was fine but that's because he was barely in the movie to even tell. Captain Boomerang was cool but doesn't do much, like literally it feels like he only threw two boomerangs through the entire movie. Killer Croc doesn't do much also. Diablo was a very cool character, but towards the end he completely get's wasted off the movie through out a really shitty climax. Katana looked very cool in the trailers, also get's fucking wasted in this, a scene shows her whining about her dead husband turning her character to complete cheese. Slipknot? Dead on arrival. Rick Flagg wasn't that very interesting of a character. Amanda Waller was also alright. And last but not least Enchantress, who really wasn't that strong of a villain and looked like she was dancing some shit through out the entire movie.

Oh and Ben Affleck was cool as Batman again, I guess.

Problems, movie puts way too many songs in scenes, like their introduction scenes were appropriate for songs but they keeps adding more songs that felt offplace, the soundtrack is not even that good. Guardians of the Galaxy felt like it used it's songs on the right time, here it feels like it puts its songs whenever it wants to

Also like BvS, movie goes way too fast in some part. I'll give credit that some moments made me chuckle, but it really felt like a chunk of this movie was cut, just like in BvS but perhaps even worst.

So, the 1st half was alright, meeting the crew and all (Pretty much only giving Deadshot and Harley development for their characters), 2nd half tbh was kinda boring and I couldn't tell if I was getting tired or the action scenes were really that numb. Because if an action scene was good I would've stayed more awake and be entertained, I literally almost felt asleep on the second half of this movie. They were just fighting zombie looking dull minion guys by Enchantress.

But then we get to the 3rd act of this movie, which is a complete shit show. The climactic battle against Enchantress, while she dances more. Diablo gets some really strong moments until then Enchantress calls out her shitty looking CGI brother, but then Diablo out of nowhere turns into a giant shitty looking CGI flaming skeleton and fights the brother. From then on this looks like some shit out of the Syfy channel, THEN DIABLO FUCKING DIES with the brother, and Diablo was turning into one of my favorite characters in this, gets fucking wasted. Then Enchantress who looks like the strongest being out of these people, falls off a really dumb trick by Harley then they kill her, and the possessed girl goes back to normal.

Edit: I forgot to mention, but Deadshot also hesitates to kill Enchantress for no fucking reason too, by thinking about her daughter when her daughter has nothing to do with the situation and danger their in.

Truly, this climax was even worst than the one with Doomsday in BvS, I'd say it's up there with the one of Fantastic Four 2015, and that's saying something since I saw Fantastic Four 2015 not too long ago, even though the entirety of the movie was not as bad as that one.

So yeah, this movie was not great. Guardians of the Galaxy is far better than this, and has done the same far better than this.

Even more disappointed that I feel more negative to this than I did with Batman v Superman.

If the next DCU movie is also like this then I'll stop giving a shit for these movies.

I give this a 4/10, it would've been like a 5 or 6 if it wasn't for the last 30 minutes of the movie.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention, not really a spoiler but the movie was filmed in Toronto my home city. I swear they went around in circles through Dundas Square in that Harley/Joker and Batman car chase scene, because I've seen that Rock Hard cafe spot like twice in there.

Edited by CrazyMv94

I've been hearing a lot of mixed reactions to Suicide Squad, just like I did with BvS.

Back when BvS came out, I went to the movies in hopes that the fans were right and the critics were wrong. Sadly I agreed with the critics. And now this is the same situation with SS, I'm apprehensive about watching it as I'm expecting I'm just going to dislike it again. 

I really don't get the amount of hate the DCEU movies get in general. Maybe it's because Marvel has been doing their cinematic universe longer, since that seems to be the case since everyone won't stop comparing with their movies. I mean in all seriousness how actually good was the first Captain America movie? or Iron Man 2? I for one really appreciate Snyder's approach in making DC's cinematic universe more dark then Marvel's. Maybe the fans are not used to this kind of tone when it comes to superhero movies, but I'm glad he's taking the feedback to heart as it can easily be seen in Suicide Squad.

I'm actually one of those rare fans that actually liked BvS, sure the scenes could have been handled better in the theatrical cut since they were indeed all over the place, but if I'm gonna be picky on Marvel movies, Civil War wasn't actually all that different (Peggy's random funeral, Hawkeye's random return after being supposedly retired, Black Panther all rage mode mode on Bucky for no solid reason? and no his father's death isn't a reason, the only reason he did go after Bucky was because half of the 'Avengers' were coincidentally tailing him too). Also the amount of hate BvS got for that Martha scene, but when Cap. mentions Bucky everyone is in awe.  :facepalm:

After watching Suicide Squad today again I can't say I agree with the critics like BvS. I think everyone had a good and equal amount of screen-time and back story, except for a certain member whom I won't spoil, but I guess I can let that slide since he hasn't had a spotlight in the comics for years also. The movie was a bit too soundtrack heavy in the beginning of the movie that I can agree on. I also think Joker should have had more screen-time since he and Harley were the highlights of the movie. Obviously enjoyed the cameos as well and a certain cameo was a huge surprise and certainly wasn't expecting him. Batfleck from his short scene's only continued to prove me how much of an amazing Batman he is. 

Overall I think the movie in general was well handled with the amount of characters and content it had. Most of the squad members are easily likable, especially Harley Quinn and her related easter-eggs. BvS is still my number one superhero movie of 2016, but Suicide Squad is a hard second or third for sure.

Edit: Since no seems to be talking about this, I really enjoyed Leto's performance as The Joker. The movie really nails that psychotic and twisted character straight out of the comics and I do prefer this Joker than Ledger's Joker. Not saying that Ledger's performance was terrible, far from it, but he wasn't even remotely close to his comic book character in almost any aspect.

Edited by Yukizm69

I actually got pulled into seeing it at the last minute tonight. All I can say is it was MUCH better than I expected. I'm very pleased the way it turned out. Was it perfect? Of course not. But it's definitely a step above the convoluted garbage that BvS was. Only thing is, you have to be a comic fan to get what's going on with a lot of the characters. If you're just a casual movie goer, this movie will be confusing and random as all hell.

Overall I give this a solid 7/10. 

DCU's movie universe is trash because there is simply no passion going into it and alot of executive meddling.

Suicide Squad is not the 3rd movie you make in your universe its the 8th or 10th. They needed to build up Superman first with a Superman 2, introduce Batman in his own solo movie, have Batman vs Superman without the garbage third act [which is really what brought the movie down from ''mixed'' to ''trash with Affleck being the exception'' for me], introduce WW, Flash, Justice League, and then start thinking about an SS movie. They can introduce Deadshot, Harley, Joker and maybe a few other through the preceeding movies and that will make SS much more satisfying seeing all those character interact with each other.

I have no problem with a darker tone, i'll always be a bigger DC fan than Marvel fan and Batman is closer to me as a character than Marvel superhero but the thing about Marvel is they UNDERSTAND comic books. They understand their material. DC's stuff is grimdark for the sake of being grimdark without any real substance behind it. Marvel knows that the key to a good cinematic universe, much like the key to a good comic book series and intersection is build up and pay off.

And the funny thing is nothing will probably change. They'll keep pumping out rushed hack jobs, say they're ''for the fans'' as an excuse and then have rabid fanboys* defend them to death so they can feel like they're the hardcore real fans. The only thing i'm excited for is the standalone Batman movie because I feel like Affleck actually cares and he's a genuine Batman fan.

*not saying anyone that likes BvS/SS/etc is a rabid fanboy.

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD

I went into Suicide Squad expecting a popcorn flick, nothing more; I was pleasantly surprised thoroughly entertained.

The villain[...] was a bit silly, though the film went along at a nice clip and plenty of characters got nice chunks of screen time. I empathized, which is a plus.

I'm actually one of those rare fans that actually liked BvS, sure the scenes could have been handled better in the theatrical cut since they were indeed all over the place, but if I'm gonna be picky on Marvel movies, Civil War wasn't actually all that different (Peggy's random funeral, Hawkeye's random return after being supposedly retired, Black Panther all rage mode mode on Bucky for no solid reason? and no his father's death isn't a reason, the only reason he did go after Bucky was because half of the 'Avengers' were coincidentally tailing him too). Also the amount of hate BvS got for that Martha scene, but when Cap. mentions Bucky everyone is in awe.  :facepalm:

I agree that the Martha scene was one of the few good scenes in an otherwise shitty flick but idk how that relates to Bucky and Captain America. The situations are not the same what so ever.

And the Panther saw that TWS is being accused of the bombing and he went after him.

I'm only commenting on this because it was on the home page but fuck it

BvS I enjoyed but like, there was a whole lot of what the shit moments.

I saw Suicide Squad yesterday, and for a movie with a paper thin plot it actually did a decent job of keeping me interested, due in no short part to the fantastic casts. And by that, I mean Will Smith's charismatic self and Harley Quinn. 

Joker was shit. 

Cara Delefuckinghoweveryouspellit was terrible to watch as usual.

Killer Croc was basically "oh, you know how Drax was a surprise hit? Well, here's DC's Drax!" but less interesting.

Harley was pretty good, not fully fleshed out but otherwise alright.

Deadshot was pretty dope, but then it's Will Smith. I don't really give a fuck for him either way, but he's pretty good in this.

Diablo was alright until the whole

I got angry at my wife for being annoyed that I'm a murderer so I killed her and the kids

thing, at which time I gave up on giving a shit about his ass.

Jai Courtney (Cap Boomerang) surprisingly didn't piss me off *too* much to look at, which is a rarity for him. His accent was dope doe, I turned to my friend and said that, she said he was an actual Aussie, if he is, then that explains why his accents in everything else are so shit. I fucking hate him man. Why does Hollywood have such a boner for him? He sucked in Die Hard 5 (there was a 5th one by the way, it was shit), he was a fucking TERRIBLE choice for Kyle Reese in T5, but then so was everything else in that movie, and the only thing he was even tolerable in was Jack Reacher, which is probably because it was the first time I saw him and wasn't so familiar with his shitty "acting" ... Stop trying to make Jai Courtney a thing, Hollywood. Also, he would have been a perfect choice as a Terminator in T5, since he's an emotionless tank, but whatever.

And other than army dude Rick Flag, that's about it for the main cast. Fairly decent performances from everyone, except Leto, who I think didn't do *horribly* as the Joker, I mean, he was shit, sure, but like, he would have done fine if it wasn't for all the hype, all the interviews, all the freaky shit he did in the name of pretending to be a method actor and trying to be all "wow, being the Joker just fucks you up" to draw attention to Heath Ledger's infinitely better portrayal and ugh. Just. He would have been fine if he was a surprise, you get me? Knowing everything they said before release, he was by far the biggest let down of this movie.

Anyway, the plot's pretty basic but it never feels boring, and the squad are pretty damn fun to watch in action, even if they really only needed Diablo and Deadshot since everyone else is useless. 

I agree that the Martha scene was one of the few good scenes in an otherwise shitty flick but idk how that relates to Bucky and Captain America. The situations are not the same what so ever.

And the Panther saw that TWS is being accused of the bombing and he went after him.

Marvel trolls bashed that Martha scene because they found it as a not good enough excuse to stop beating the living daylight out of Supes, but it's alright for their Captain America to turn into a jackass every time the name Bucky comes up, even though it has been the same concept for two movies. 

And other than army dude Rick Flag, that's about it for the main cast. Fairly decent performances from everyone, except Leto, who I think didn't do *horribly* as the Joker, I mean, he was shit, sure, but like, he would have done fine if it wasn't for all the hype, all the interviews, all the freaky shit he did in the name of pretending to be a method actor and trying to be all "wow, being the Joker just fucks you up" to draw attention to Heath Ledger's infinitely better portrayal and ugh. Just. He would have been fine if he was a surprise, you get me? Knowing everything they said before release, he was by far the biggest let down of this movie.

You can blame the studio for that. Leto himself was also pissed on how many of his scenes were cut during an interview with IGN. Link. Also some scenes from the trailer weren't even in the final cut. (The bar scene where Harley is pouring drinks for everyone comes to mind).