eso's negative comments and why

i have read much forums about eso but lots of people have negative comments about the game.

i have not yet played the game (because i don't have an ps4) but for what i know about the game it should be a great mmo.

*an incredible large world  *an extremely hard platinum  *possibility to go where you want when you want it  *lots of things you can do in the game. and who knows what i forgot to mention right now.

so in short: for what i know about it, it should be a great game. but for what i know about the comments it is not.

so my question is: why do you think it is(nt) a good game?

It's an average game. Honestly I think its biggest problem is the Elder Scrolls name. It doesn't really live up to the quality of the single player games. The quest lines are dull, the graphics are meh, and it lacks a lot of depth in skill trees and leveling. It has tons of content but it's repetitive. It's a game I really wanted to like but I have a hard time playing it for any length of time.

• Like 2

There is nothing hard about the plat it's just extremely time consuming. Anyway for a mmo I think it's a really fun game although the quest are really becoming repetitive at some point. The thing I like the most is doing stuff together with friends and pvping.

There was a lot of negative comments about the original ESO.  It was pay to play (not exactly a bad thing though) and extremely broken (in both beta and original release).  Pretty much, it was going to be an MMO that failed if they didn't toss the subscription and fixed stuff up, the original didn't even come out on consoles I believe.  I haven't really heard anything super bad about the re-release but I tend to stay away from the ones that couldn't survive with their subscription and had to go free.

I actually think that the game looks great for a console MMO. The quests are not as deep as the single player games, but the story is still there. I think people who enjoy Elder Scrolls lore will appreciate the game like I do. I'm just stoked over the little things such as seeing more of all the different races and even just seeing the different Argonian names.

Coming off of Oblivion and Skyrim on PS3, I had really high hopes for ESO. The biggest thing for me was the button configuration. I could get over the nerfing of the races, I could get past the lack of scaling, but the button config and limitation in spells really disappointed me. I'd like to get back into this eventually though. Skyrim really set the bar high.

There's lots of pros, and lots of cons really. Is it worth a buy? Sure, only if you know exactly what you're getting into. 

- The game isn't 'Go anywhere, Do anything'. You're confined to 3 factions, and each faction only gets 1/3rd of the overall map to explore. If you pick the Aldmeri Dominion for example, you'll only see green trees for your entire main story playthrough. This could sound smart, maybe it was the devs way of increasing replayability. But I believe that having the entirety of Tamriel open to explore is rather the point of the game, let me go to Skyrim, and when I get bored of that, I should be able to go to Hammerfall, not have to grind through the main story to get varied environments to explore.

- The combat feels hit or miss. PvE can feel great at times, but I don't know if it's when you're lagging or something, but sometimes it just feels like you're not even damaging the enemy. Emphasis on this point x10 in the PvP, I have no idea what goes in PvP, I either absolutely demolish someone, or all my attacks will just crumble before making contact. PvP is relatively decent but requires you to be apart of a large force to do anything meaningful

- The group dungeons are actually really fun. The four player areas with minibosses and bosses are awesome to play through. One requires a player to destroy a orb that floats to the boss to heal him, while the rest of the team kills the boss, otherwise he'd be invincible. In my 30+ hours of playtime, this was by far the best part. 

- The social aspect is actually pretty cool, going to towns and starting a band with the pages upon pages of emotes is good fun  :dance:

- The average quest is repetitive dull and uninteresting. Go here, talk/kill/take this person/monster/item, add more if necessary, repeat. I can't speak about the end game content on account of not being there. 

Final Verdict: 7/10 with a consistent group of friends, 4/10 solo. 

If they ever try to market an online Elder Scrolls or Fallout, it should be a 2 player co-op experience, not an MMO.

Edited by Saltyie

I actually think that the game looks great for a console MMO. The quests are not as deep as the single player games, but the story is still there. I think people who enjoy Elder Scrolls lore will appreciate the game like I do. I'm just stoked over the little things such as seeing more of all the different races and even just seeing the different Argonian names.

As far as story goes, I think this is a great point. Are you looking for a new, dynamic storyline? If so, you'll be disappointed; I think of this more as "days in the life of Tamriel". If you're looking for the actualization of some of the stuff you read in the books in the game, this might be for you.

• Like 1

There is nothing hard about the plat it's just extremely time consuming. Anyway for a mmo I think it's a really fun game although the quest are really becoming repetitive at some point. The thing I like the most is doing stuff together with friends and pvping.

Nothing hard about the plat? u wot m8? I'm assuming you have the emperor trophy then?

Nothing hard about the plat? u wot m8? I'm assuming you have the emperor trophy then?

I tried once but i didn't have enough time to play. Really nothing hard about it.

There's lots of pros, and lots of cons really. Is it worth a buy? Sure, only if you know exactly what you're getting into. 

- The game isn't 'Go anywhere, Do anything'. You're confined to 3 factions, and each faction only gets 1/3rd of the overall map to explore. If you pick the Aldmeri Dominion for example, you'll only see green trees for your entire main story playthrough. This could sound smart, maybe it was the devs way of increasing replayability. But I believe that having the entirety of Tamriel open to explore is rather the point of the game, let me go to Skyrim, and when I get bored of that, I should be able to go to Hammerfall, not have to grind through the main story to get varied environments to explore.

After you completed the main story of your own factions you have to do the quests of the other factions on your same account though

I tried once but i didn't have enough time to play. Really nothing hard about it.

After you completed the main story of your own factions you have to do the quests of the other factions on your same account though

I don't buy it. 

Got any tips then for any aspiring emperors? 

I'm going to go for it soon, so I'll build and do whatever you recommend, if you're right and it's as easy as you say I'll get the trophy. 

I don't buy it. 

Got any tips then for any aspiring emperors? 

I'm going to go for it soon, so I'll build and do whatever you recommend, if you're right and it's as easy as you say I'll get the trophy. 

It's been a while since i played so i try to explain as best as i can.

Well first of all you want to have a lot of time. 

In order to play PVP you have to join a Campaign. Not really sure what all of em were but they were something like a 5 day campaign a 7 day campaign a 14 days campaign and a 30 day campaign(i'm pretty sure that im wrong but it kinda looks like this) which means that the leaderboards  will be reset when the time of the campaign runs out meaning everyone has a chance at being emperor again. You want to score as many points as you can in the given time. I still don't really know when exactly when the emperor gets chosen but just make sure you'll stay at the 1st spot in the leaderboard. When i tried going for it i was on the 1st place for pretty much the whole starting day of a campaign, but when i went to sleep and woke up someone stole my place by doing an all nighter and turned out to be emperor which was pretty annoying. So if you have the 1st spot and you want to make sure to keep it that way you probably want to do the same thing or you have to be lucky that no1 would do that.

You could make an account for each faction so you can always be in the winning faction. 

Also when you reach level 50 you unlock champion points which can give you extra passive skills and all of those skill will carry over the your other accounts i believe. So you can easily farm champion points on your main character, then create a new account and rek some noobs in the low level campaign. Although i don't know how all of this works since im not level 50 myself yet so haven't tried it. It's just what a friend told me. 

As for best build there's nothing i can really tell you since everyone has their own play style and patches will always be there to change things. As for me i wanted to play a Imperial Nightblade with Dual Blade and Bow, so i just searched a "best build" for what i wanted on google and gave it my own spin.

This is about all i can think of now, if you want to know anything else, just ask me.

• Like 1

It's been a while since i played so i try to explain as best as i can.

Well first of all you want to have a lot of time. 

In order to play PVP you have to join a Campaign. Not really sure what all of em were but they were something like a 5 day campaign a 7 day campaign a 14 days campaign and a 30 day campaign(i'm pretty sure that im wrong but it kinda looks like this) which means that the leaderboards  will be reset when the time of the campaign runs out meaning everyone has a chance at being emperor again. You want to score as many points as you can in the given time. I still don't really know when exactly when the emperor gets chosen but just make sure you'll stay at the 1st spot in the leaderboard. When i tried going for it i was on the 1st place for pretty much the whole starting day of a campaign, but when i went to sleep and woke up someone stole my place by doing an all nighter and turned out to be emperor which was pretty annoying. So if you have the 1st spot and you want to make sure to keep it that way you probably want to do the same thing or you have to be lucky that no1 would do that.

You could make an account for each faction so you can always be in the winning faction. 

Also when you reach level 50 you unlock champion points which can give you extra passive skills and all of those skill will carry over the your other accounts i believe. So you can easily farm champion points on your main character, then create a new account and rek some noobs in the low level campaign. Although i don't know how all of this works since im not level 50 myself yet so haven't tried it. It's just what a friend told me. 

As for best build there's nothing i can really tell you since everyone has their own play style and patches will always be there to change things. As for me i wanted to play a Imperial Nightblade with Dual Blade and Bow, so i just searched a "best build" for what i wanted on google and gave it my own spin.

This is about all i can think of now, if you want to know anything else, just ask me.

Thanks for the tips, I will absolutely put them in to practice. 

Do you still play it? 

PM me if you're gonna reply as we shouldn't spam the thread. ;)

I really like this game and find it to be a lot of fun. The story is decent and definitely feels like an Elder Scrolls game. The community can get very elitist in the end game though so try and group with people you know and/or are willing to lend a helpful hand. And about the Emperor trophy, you're vastly underselling it. It is impossible to get solo. It requires you to be on the winning faction, in first place, and your faction has to hold the keeps surrounding the Imperial City to even have an Emperor crowned. Getting the emperor trophy demands the cooperation of dozens of people. If you are going to go for it, I recommend playing as a healer. They're usually at the top of the leaderboards for Alliance Points.

• 1 month later...

I have been playing mmo for all of my existence. There is trully something addicting and unique about ESO. The leveling is very much like EVERY other mmorpgs out there. You do quests, fetch this kill that over and over. It just how these or really any leveling games are. You kill things. Except here they tell you what to kill or do. People need hand holding. I can only think of a few MMORPG that tries to do away with quests. Like FFXI, GUILD WARS 2. But you still got to kill X times X so many million times. Anyways I been addicted to dungeon runs lately. I love their loot system and also dailies for keys to open chests for loots. RNG base. (Random Numeric Generation) something like that. You can actual get some nice PHAT loot. Now.. The graphics isn't the best I've seen but considering it's a console mmo, I could understand the limitations. Overall ESO isn't bad. Oh and... Nake some friends on your travels!

• 3 weeks later...

I've never really been into MMO's, but I wanted to try it as I really enjoyed Oblivion/Skyrim and was put off for a long time because of all the crappy reviews I heard about it. It's not amazing but I guess I'm kind of impressed because of all the negativity (I should also note I only got it because it was £6.50)

The only friends I have in real life don't have a PS4 so I've been playing it solo so far, I have found that a LOT of the stuff you don't get told. I still barely have any idea how the game works, and when it does decide to tell me about something it tells me in tiny text in the top left hand corner whilst I'm in combat so you can't really read what's going on anyway. I'm not really aiming to get plat on it, I'm just enjoying it right now, but the plat does seem really hard. Without openly trying I've played about 10-15 hours ish and have 2 trophies.

But the feel to it is good, I'm enjoying it right now and I am pretty pleased with it!

• 4 weeks later...

It's a very average MMO. The game lacks coop in a lot of ways and that was what struck me as rating it lower. Yeah you can do the sides coop, but why not have some of the story (or all of it) be coop? Why couldn't they write it that way?

The guild having no achievements makes them pretty pointless too... 

Dungeon syncing is a joke as well. Good luck when it pairs you with a lvl 12 when you're lvl 50.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only really played solo for 15 levels, left it for several months and played it again on Saturday. All my stats had been reset and I needed to teach myself how to play it again. It really isn't a bad game but with no Oceanic server I'm stuck with Europe or North America, I don't ever use a mic and haven't teamed up with anyone yet. I think I've had more fun with Neverwinter on the XB1 to be honest though both games have been way better than Final Fantasy 14. That was my first experience of mmorpg console gaming and I've copped so much shit from other players.

In short, I rant allot ;) Eso kind of reminds me of a heavily populated Morrowind, I like it but really just stick to myself.