Final Fantasy 15 Has Over 200 Sidequests

Xel

Final Fantasy 15 director Hajime Tabata reveals that the forthcoming entry in Square Enix’s long-running RPG franchise contains over 200 different sidequests.  

According to a recent interview in the latest issue of Game Informer, which was transcribed by the Final Fantasy news site Nova Crystallis, Final Fantasy 15‘s director Hajime Tabata stated the title already has upwards of 200 sidequests, and that developers are constantly working to add many more before the game’s release. As it happens, not all of the missions are alike, as the Final Fantasy 15 team undoubtedly wants players to experience a wide variety of gameplay.

Final Fantasy 15‘s different quests will be broken up into four separate categories, with some pertaining to the main story, several being monster hunts, and a few being regional quests, while others are just for fun – fishing and Chocobo racing were given as examples. Furthermore, Tabata proclaimed that he isn’t averse to adding post-launch materials with DLC, but the producer explained he has no intention to use FF 15 to make offshoot sequels like Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13-3.

On top of Tabata’s revelation involving Final Fantasy 15‘s glut of sidequests, the director also divulged that fans shouldn’t expect the game’s Summons to react the same way each time they’re called into action, as their activity depends on the context of the situation. For instance, Tabata said that a Titan could run toward an enemy to hit them, chuck boulders at bad guys, or even leave the battle if the going gets too tough. Not to mention, Summons will apparently even act differently in a dungeon than in the main world.

The Final Fantasy 15 director also discussed the role of the title’s cars — as seen in this driving gameplay video — and explained that trunks operate as party storage. Plus, in order to inject a small bit of realism into the release’s fantastical world, players may have to gas cars up occasionally, using in-game currency to do so. What’s more is that car radios “play remixes of classic FF themes” such as the main tune from the very first entry in the franchise.

Taking all of this into consideration, Final Fantasy 15 seems to be shaping up as one of the most massive releases in the series thus far. Keeping in mind that Tabata recently disclosed the game’s campaign length has more than 50 hours, an extra 200 sidequests ought to keep players busy for a long while. With so much to do and so many interesting qualities inherent in FF 15, it makes sense that even someone who considers themselves to be a non-fan of the franchise wants to get it.

In the meantime, Final Fantasy 15 fans can play through the RPG’s Platinum Demo, which is surprisingly in-depth, as it contains brief examples for some of the aforementioned features, such as glimpses at Summons, the ability to use vehicles, as well as a sizable boss battle. And with a several more months to go before its release date in September, it’s highly likely there will be even more intriguing surprises to come.

Final Fantasy 15 is set to release on September 30, 2016 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Source: http://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-15-200-sidequests/

If they can make them as interesting as the ones in the Witcher 3, that would be cool. I hope they are not like " Go fetch this and that" 

• Like 2

200 is a high number.  That's all that is.

200 "go and collect a rabbit, cook it and eat it" quests are not fun.  Density does not equal fun.

If anything, this worries me slightly - as stating a number completely out of context makes me think the wrong thing is viewed as important.

That said, I like the usage of the car as storage - but hope gassing the car isn't too painful.  What happens if you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere for example?

Run to the nearest gas station whilst getting hunted down by Flans?  Maybe you can cram them into the gas tank?

Further, the game will definitely have DLC - they have to - and there will definitely be a spin off - there has to be.

Edited by LastPisTolman

Didn't FF13 consider their stupid monster hunter things individual side quests?

I'd much rather have 50 deep and awesome side quests, as opposed to 200 "fun" side quests. Kill a monster, find 10 Chocobo nutsacks, win a race, etc. Western developers seem to handle side quests a lot better.

• Like 2

Honestly not that interesting.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but outside 11,12, 13(1-3), and 14 the main Final Fantasy games have never really had an abundant of sidequests.

Not wrong, IX stepped it up and that had 30ish, with X going back down again.

This is a vastly different game though - so does need more content.  I'm just worried about a dilute main quest if their focus is side stuff.

I do not want a Final Fantasy where it's praised for a sandbox world and its story is a side note.

Edited by LastPisTolman

And my excitement for XV continues to grow. This may well turn out to be the most financially successful entry into the series at the rate things are going. A hugely successful demo, a fantastic reveal, and the Collector's Edition exceeded $7,000,000 in preorders. Square Enix is on a roll.

That said, why the hell would they put realism in a game series that contains dragons with feathery wings and mouths for asses, machine gods and 7 foot tall chickens?

Not wrong, IX stepped it up and that had 30ish, with X going back down again.

This is a vastly different game though - so does need more content.  I'm just worried about a dilute main quest if their focus is side stuff.

I do not want a Final Fantasy where it's praised for a sandbox world and its story is a side note.

Who's to say they didn't work on the main plot before doing these side quests? An abundance of side quests doesn't mean the main plot took a backseat in development. Final Fantasy has always been about the plot, side missions be damned.

200 is a high number.  That's all that is.

200 "go and collect a rabbit, cook it and eat it" quests are not fun.  Density does not equal fun.

If anything, this worries me slightly - as stating a number completely out of context makes me think the wrong thing is viewed as important.

That said, I like the usage of the car as storage - but hope gassing the car isn't too painful.  What happens if you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere for example?

Run to the nearest gas station whilst getting hunted down by Flans?  Maybe you can cram them into the gas tank?

Further, the game will definitely have DLC - they have to - and there will definitely be a spin off - there has to be.

Why does there have to be either of these things? XIII did just fine without DLC - it was the most successful game released in the series up until XIV released. There probably will be some sort of a spin-off or sequel to XV, but that doesn't mean there will be either.

• Like 2

If u read all of the Game Informer article they said that the game won't have a sequel and their doing FF7 Remake next. We get some DLC stuff, movie, anime, and a pinball game. I really don't think they'll make a sequel unless they do sell more than that 10 million goal. IX had a bunch of quests, XII had a bunch of monster hunts and side quests that equaled around 100 quests. I'm sure the main story will not get overshadowed at all, plus there is a game+ mode as well so there u go.

Haha, I like your enthusiasm!

But 200 side quests, with possible plans to add more?  I don't know if I can handle that. :rolleyes:

Eheheh the witcher 3 has a lottt of side quests and i never got tired :)

The difference is in the way the producers "draw" the missions! obviously for some people will be upset, but I prefer to do 200 missions than spending one week (or more) to farm CP ,farm GIL, farm Material, farm .... baaghhhh that's enough :D :D

• Like 1

And my excitement for XV continues to grow. This may well turn out to be the most financially successful entry into the series at the rate things are going. A hugely successful demo, a fantastic reveal, and the Collector's Edition exceeded $7,000,000 in preorders. Square Enix is on a roll.

That said, why the hell would they put realism in a game series that contains dragons with feathery wings and mouths for asses, machine gods and 7 foot tall chickens?

Who's to say they didn't work on the main plot before doing these side quests? An abundance of side quests doesn't mean the main plot took a backseat in development. Final Fantasy has always been about the plot, side missions be damned.

Why does there have to be either of these things? XIII did just fine without DLC - it was the most successful game released in the series up until XIV released. There probably will be some sort of a spin-off or sequel to XV, but that doesn't mean there will be either.

It has, but evidently in this one side quests have been a focus - hence my stating I hope it hasn't been at the expense of the main quest, hence my "worried" about it rather than stating it is dilute. I hope the side quests were actually built in tandem with the main quest - because that is what will turn this into the fantastic game it can be.  It will be so much more engaging if the side quests echo the sentiment of the game rather than "let's fill up the large areas we've built".

There has to be DLC and a spin off because they have an engine running this game that is only running this game, a decade long development cycle and a massive red pit that they need to fill before this game is anywhere near in the black.  Its business, they have a lot of product to shift before this becomes an endeavour worthy of its investment.  It isn't just about being profitable - its about being profitable enough for the length of time its been MIA.

No one wants this game to be successful more than I do, but that doesn't mean at the same time I'm going to have blinkers on.  

The Platinum Demo was a strange choice to provide to the general public if I'm frank.  I wish Duscae and Platinum had traded places, because Duscae is a fantastic pull for anyone not knowing what Final Fantasy is.  Platinum starts as you running around as a child, collecting glowing orbs and having the engine shown off to you.  At first it seems more like Jak and Daxter - a casual downloader of that demo will not have a clue what this game is meant to be.  Its getting praise from those of us engaged in the community, the 1%.

The game dies on its ability to get people other than you or I to buy it - those preorder numbers aren't impressive yet.  

There's still a long road until release - I'm just hoping that the messaging won't be "look at the high numbers we can quote" and trust that they'll be enough.  They've got to mean something - people's time is at a premium more than money these days so you've got to make the time investment attractive.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

200 Side quests but I have seen that  Cid upgrading weapons are coming up as side quests, So not sure how many weapons this applies to and if they’re in that 200.

Though in the trophy list it only wants 80 completing 

It's not like you get those quests handed to you though, still involves finding the items for Cid.

Shane the game is really overhyped and not as good as we all hoped

Been as good as I was hoping so far.

• Like 1