DOOM open beta is up.

Daniel_Shadow170

Had fun ended my night with top 5 highest K/D in the game at 2.9k/d. Now while i had fun it still has problems 1. The shotgun is overpowered no reason to use any gun at all. 2. You can get shot while doing a melee kill animation terrible design. 3. Biggest problem is the controls they feel off it's definitely not like black ops 3 turning is abysmal you might as well never turn around in the game.

1.The shotgun isn't overpowered. :P It's a shotgun. It's supposed to be incredibly effective up close. Its longer reload time, rate of fire, and spread help to balance it at longer distances.
2. I don't think that's terrible design at all. I think that's great design, actually. Doing it at the wrong time and place should get you killed. There should be some risk/reward with trying to show off.

3. Have you looked in the options for aiming sensitivity? You should bump that up if it's there.

• Like 4

Nice. Might give it a go this weekend. I missed the closed beta a few weekends ago due to a stag-do. 

But, probably more likely I'll just play Dark Souls 3...

Not sure that being killable during melee animations is a bad thing. From the point of view of the person killing you, they'd be pretty cheesed off if you could avoid death because you're invulnerable for a few moments. 

IIRC, Halo let you kill people during a melee animation (sometimes leading to hilarious results, where you'd have a long chain of people backstabbing one another). It didn't detract from the gameplay IMO.

1.The shotgun isn't overpowered. :P It's a shotgun. It's supposed to be incredibly effective up close. Its longer reload time, rate of fire, and spread help to balance it at longer distances.

2. I don't think that's terrible design at all. I think that's great design, actually. Doing it at the wrong time and place should get you killed. There should be some risk/reward with trying to show off.

3. Have you looked in the options for aiming sensitivity? You should bump that up if it's there.

Basically everything I was gonna say. I hate when games design shotguns properly (like this one) then people bitch that they're deadly up close and the devs nerf them. This is exactly what happened to Black Ops 3 and the shotguns are beyond useless in that game.

As for the melee animations, that comes down to efficiently using your ammo and constantly reloading to avoid having to use melee in the first place.

Ah well i never played halo the melee animation bugs me since its the first game that i've played with it but maybe that'll pass. I still stand by a shotgun nerf shotgun is doing 31-100+ damage while the little pulse gun did 9 whole time i played it was a shotgun feast reminded me of destiny. Definitely recommend everyone try it as it's hit or miss.

I'm going to try it on my PC just to know how bad it's going to run on my PC. When DooM 3 was released there back in 2004, it was a slideshow for me. Now, 12 years and two PCs later, i'm in the same situation with this one :°)

EDIT: AAAAAAAAND it runs at 14FPS on the main menu, definitely not worth the try lol.

Edited by Lance_87

shame demos have pretty died off in the era of connectivity.

Demo's died off because they didn't generate sales in most scenarios. Worse, they could sometimes reduce sales, e.g. if player reaction was "This is shit" or "Meh, I've had my fill of it now."

Much more effective for pubs to spend the money on marketing instead, and allow the developers to get on with the actual game rather than taking resources away to make a demo. 

• Like 1

Demo's died off because they didn't generate sales in most scenarios. Worse, they could sometimes reduce sales, e.g. if player reaction was "This is shit" or "Meh, I've had my fill of it now."

Much more effective for pubs to spend the money on marketing instead, and allow the developers to get on with the actual game rather than taking resources away to make a demo. 

Agreed and I even love demos. If a developer can't take an early mission/level, sandbox it and push it into a demo-form, then generate interest (leading to pre-orders these days), they should probably make sure they get their paycheck and hop into a new project asap after gold master ships.

What I really think is more influential these days is the sheer number of games coming out. With digital games coming out by the truckload daily/weekly through services like Steam/Android/iOS, I think bean-counter publishers are more worried about how much spaghetti they can throw against the wall, rather than coming up with the stickiest noodle.

I liked Doom. I played the crap out of it and probably put in a couple hundred hours of Doom II when it came out. But once Doom 3 hit the scene and PCs got into the full upgrade treadmill, I had my fill. Played it on a buddies beast-computer and thought meh, not my glass of scotch.

I'll probably play this when it releases on PS4 at a cronies house, just to see if I still suck horribly at FPS. Suspicions tell me I probably do.

• Like 1

Had fun ended my night with top 5 highest K/D in the game at 2.9k/d. Now while i had fun it still has problems 1. The shotgun is overpowered no reason to use any gun at all. 2. You can get shot while doing a melee kill animation terrible design. 3. Biggest problem is the controls they feel off it's definitely not like black ops 3 turning is abysmal you might as well never turn around in the game.

Eh, its not suppose to be black ops.

• Like 1

They need to power up other weapons lol. Especially the assault rifle, at the moment there is no use for it because it blain sucks. The Vortex rifle is fucking great, I love it. Already played the closed beta and will try open with my friends as well. Today I went to pay my collectors edition and can't wait for this awesome fucking game!

I get that and all, but I still enjoy a good demo. There's been a fair few times, even recently, where a demo has convinced me to buy the full game. Honestly, a demo secures my interest. If I'm unsure about a game, I'll just buy the thing, play it for a week or two, then return it for a full refund anyways, and in that way, I get a super demo.

• Like 1

1. The shotgun isn't as overpowered as in, say, Battlefield 4, where you can be one shot from the other end of a long hallway by a guy using Full Choke. I didn't really see the shotgun as being any worse than the rocket launcher.

2. Yeah, that sucks, but as it is in BF4 when you're trying to knife someone. Perhaps they need to make the finishing move animations a bit quicker? Should post in the DOOM forums.

3. Adjust your sensitivity in the options.

Played a couple of hours and I can't say I really like it. It feels very similar to Unreal Tournament to me and I've never been a fan of those kinds of shooters so if I pick this up it will be for the campaign. I'm glad others seem to be enjoying themselves though. 

Parker