Sequels That You Don't Think Should Exist

LeeMcD-

Essentially, when did the devs fuck up by making a new sequel? When would things have been better off if they just left stuff alone?

My list so far...

Final Fantasy X-2. I was quite a fan of X when I played it. Some of the voice acting was iffy but overall I had fun with it. When X-2 came about I thought it would be similar to X and simply carry on the story. I was wrong. It was just so drastically different that apart from the characters and some plot links it felt like an entirely new game that was in its own series. Also since when did Lulu play dress up?!

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One. I haven't played this and I really don't want to. I'm not going to go into details, but it's not a true RaC game and shouldn't have been made.

God of War: Ascension: It's not out yet but do we really need another gow title? The story is complete. This is just milking of a franchise for easy $$$...

Super Duper Street Fighter 4 Rage Turbo ++ etc: All of Capcom's extra titles should be expansions not new retail games....

Dragon Age II: Haven't played it, mainly because 90% of the people who have played it say it's crap... (and I loved Origins)

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe: We all love a moral kombat game with less violence more super heroes. Right? Right? NO!

Essentially, when did the devs fuck up by making a new sequel? When would things have been better off if they just left stuff alone?

My list so far...

Final Fantasy X-2. I was quite a fan of X when I played it. Some of the voice acting was iffy but overall I had fun with it. When X-2 came about I thought it would be similar to X and simply carry on the story. I was wrong. It was just so drastically different that apart from the characters and some plot links it felt like an entirely new game that was in its own series. Also since when did Lulu play dress up?!

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One. I haven't played this and I really don't want to. I'm not going to go into details, but it's not a true RaC game and shouldn't have been made.

I would actually like to disagree with your ratchet and clank one. While I get that not everyone will like it, and I don't expect that, saying "it's not a true RaC game" doesnt really make sense. I think they did a great job on that game. They tried something new, added co-op (something I personally have wanted since the second game in the series). Granted it wasn't perfect, the camera was frustrating, the AI was terrible, when you get playing with 3 or 4 players the game almost seems to not be able to handle all the action on the screen. All of this does not mean you should condemn them for trying something new, they should be encouraged to try new things otherwise we get the same game over and over again. They tried something new, it wasn't perfect but maybe they can make it better. Now if you just don't like the addition of co-op, then that is your opinion and I am not trying to say you are wrong, just trying to defend the idea of devs trying new things.

Co-op in a horror game is a mistake :facepalm:

Why is this? I thought the Left For Dead series did a great job of handling what modern 'horror' games are with co-op options. I think that if a true horror game had a co-op option, and you were both running for your life and at every turn ran the risk of losing your friend, it would add a whole new dimension to the horror genre. Rather than just fear of dying yourself, you are now working with your friend and you are both thrown to the wolves. You have someone to back you up, but you also need to be scared for their life. The problem with Dead Space, is that it isn't really a horror game anymore. It was close playing on the hardest difficulty, where you don't always have enough bullets and sometimes just need to run or come up with another way to kill things. When you are playing a 'horror' game, but you have more firepower than an army squad, its not really that scary.

I will actually agree with the Dead Space 3 idea, but not for the same reason. I think that it is becoming too much of shooter, and less of the horror game it has so much potential to be.

I also agree with FF X-2. I love the final fantasy series because each new game is a whole new world with new people to love and hate, new areas to explore, and a whole new story to enjoy. Making a sequel to FF X, kind of ruins that whole line. Rather than waste their time on FF X-2, or FF XIII-2, I wish they would give me a whole new game.

EDIT: Just found out that they have announced FF XIII-3, this is just getting pathetic ... I want a new world, not the same one as the last 2 games.

Edited by Sir_Bee
  • Like 1

I actually enjoyed Ratchet and Clank All 4 one. It is different from the rest but it is still fun to play, for me at lease. Only downside is you have to have a different character than you friends as the guns purchased only apply to the character that purchased them.

But I am rather disappointed in the direction my beloved Dead Space is headed. But I'll still buy it none the less, to hopefully have some closure on the story line.

It's not really valid to say that if you haven't played the game in question. As someone who has played it, I think it's weaksauce, but it's entirely unreasonable to judge a thing you haven't played.

As for me, my answer would be Final Fantasy XIII and XIV. Just no. (And of course XIII-2 as well.)

Any Final Fantasys after X.

XII was fantastic, in many ways better than X. Seriously, saying that shouldn't be made is lunacy.

XII was fantastic, in many ways better than X. Seriously, saying that shouldn't be made is lunacy.

i couldn't agree more with this statement... i haven't played X but XII was my all time favorite so far by a long shot... If they made an HD remake of FF:XII i would lock myself away and no one would see me for about 140 hours or so, lol...

anyway... as for me... I don't think they should have made a sequel to Tales of Symphonia (gamecube/wii)... was completely weak and the story wasn't even in keeping with the same tune... different characters with the original cast in the background... bah! otherwise i LOVE the Tales games...

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations come to mind. They are decent games but they just seem like milking to get more money instead of releasing a third installment.

Halo 2 and 3. I love Combat Evolved, Reach and ODST, but I felt 2 and 3 were awful and needed a lot more development time. They didn't even come close to the magic the original had.

I'll agree with XIII-2 and XIII-3 as well, they need to move on.

Parker

Final Fantasy XIII-2. (spoilers on 13 and 13-2 incoming)

I absolutely LOVED this game and Caius is my favourite villain of all-time right now. However, honestly? It shouldn't even exist. XIII ended on a perfectly happy, yet bittersweet ending (with Vanille and Fang) and the events that began XIII-2 didn't even occur in the ending of 13. No idea why they messed around with it and it's made a lot of people angry on the fact they're essentially delaying Final Fantasy Versus XIII on a trilogy (with XIII-3 coming out) nobody asked for.

Final Fantasy X-2 (spoilers on X)

Okay, I know X ended with Tidus waking up underwater so there was obviously gonna be a sequel, but come on, was it necessary? Game ended epicly, even if it was depressing as hell. Ended up being a load of crap, only redeeming feature was gamplay and humour.

I understand that back when it came out, it was pretty terrible. But it's been pretty playable and enjoyable for months. Also, they have been charging subscription fees for some months.

God of War: Ascension: It's not out yet but do we really need another gow title? The story is complete. This is just milking of a franchise for easy $$$...

Have to agree with you. We all under the assumption when they were going to end the franchise, and instead of doing something different (i.e., maybe a Hercules spin-off) they make a prequel with online MP. :hmm: