Final Fantasy XV megathread

DPtheGod

Ah, thanks guys.

Huh... That's kind of strange. So basically, once you reach the latter half of the game, it goes from an open world experience to a linear one. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean all Final Fantasy games have times when your freedom is taken away, but this seems different. I mean it probably makes sense from a story perspective. There's always that disconnect in open world games when you have to go and save the world or whatever, but you can say "screw that" and go do fetch quests for 20 hours. It makes sense that you'd have more freedom at the beginning of the game when shit hasn't hit the fan yet. I just hope they give a clear indication of when the point of no return is, because from what I understand, you can't go back and continue where you left after a certain point. I hope it's done right.

Edited by Undead Wolf

Sorry I disappeared guys! I just got back into the groove of things on a personal level, so I decided to mark my comeback by overhauling the OP and making it much more mobile & browsing friendly :)

Big thanks to @Xeliot for his major contributions to this thread!!!

Also,

Ah, thanks guys.

Huh... That's kind of strange. So basically, once you reach the latter half of the game, it goes from an open world experience to a linear one. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean all Final Fantasy games have times when your freedom is taken away, but this seems different. I mean it probably makes sense from a story perspective. There's always that disconnect in open world games when you have to go and save the world or whatever, but you can say "screw that" and go do fetch quests for 20 hours. It makes sense that you'd have more freedom at the beginning of the game when shit hasn't hit the fan yet. I just hope they give a clear indication of when the point of no return is, because from what I understand, you can't go back and continue where you left after a certain point. I hope it's done right.

To be fair, he did note that the game's second half being linear is simply only in the main narrative. So, the story itself will progress in a linear fashion, but you can still run around and explore. Think of FF7. Once you leave Midgar, you half to go to Kalm to progress the story. That kind of linear!

• Like 1

To be fair, he did note that the game's second half being linear is simply only in the main narrative. So, the story itself will progress in a linear fashion, but you can still run around and explore. Think of FF7. Once you leave Midgar, you half to go to Kalm to progress the story. That kind of linear!

I'm a little confused. If the latter half of the games main narrative is linear, what does that make it in the first half? If you're still free to explore the open world, how is it any more linear than it was? Sorry if these are dumb questions.  :P

EDIT: My guess would be that it means less side quests are available later in the game.

Edited by Undead Wolf

I'm a little confused. If the latter half of the games main narrative is linear, what does that make it in the first half? If you're still free to explore the open world, how is it any more linear than it was? Sorry if these are dumb questions.  :P

EDIT: My guess would be that it means less side quests are available later in the game.

Actually, on the contrary! In the same interview, Tabata stated that the later half of the game has a ton of optional stuff to do. His comments looked out of context due to the entire discussion not being translated. Basically, he went on to say that while it becomes "linear" in the pathway, the player is still free to roam around and explore and treat it like a open world game, it's just the story guides you down a narrow pathway. So, for example, if we go back to FF7. Think of towards the end of the game, you go to Mideel and Tifa and Cloud have their lifestream event together. Afterwards, you have set locations you are supposed to go to after, all the way up o the Midgar invasion. Now, you don't HAVE to do that, but the story is a linear path in that sense. Also, one thing to keep in mind, every FF that has done this, always had more areas that opened up as you get further into the game.

• Like 2

Actually, on the contrary! In the same interview, Tabata stated that the later half of the game has a ton of optional stuff to do. His comments looked out of context due to the entire discussion not being translated. Basically, he went on to say that while it becomes "linear" in the pathway, the player is still free to roam around and explore and treat it like a open world game, it's just the story guides you down a narrow pathway. So, for example, if we go back to FF7. Think of towards the end of the game, you go to Mideel and Tifa and Cloud have their lifestream event together. Afterwards, you have set locations you are supposed to go to after, all the way up o the Midgar invasion. Now, you don't HAVE to do that, but the story is a linear path in that sense. Also, one thing to keep in mind, every FF that has done this, always had more areas that opened up as you get further into the game.

Ah, thanks for the explanation! I think I get it now.  :)  

• Like 1

I read today that the first half of the game would be an open world and the second half would be linear because of the story.This is a little weird.I'm curious about the optional bosses and stuff you will have to do.I mean,normally when you reach the end of the game,you level,grind,collect the best equipment, etc.Unless this FF has a post-game part

Better than XIII though, right? Which was the opposite.

Beginning was linear as all fuck, and then only towards the 40 hour mark of the game did it actually open up.

I'm going out on a limb and assuming it becomes linear later in the story because Noctis (may) be on a time limit. Regis aged pretty fast, and there is a reason for that. I kind of suspect Noctis might go through the same thing. And if that happens, the story going linear makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Valyrious

Of course.It makes sense now.I mean they couldn't afford to travel with planes,or they didn't have the nerve to steal an airship from those empire soldiers who were coming after them in the demo,or they didn't think to go to space and find a lost supership infested by colourful monsters.No.Trains can get you in places that airships can't anyway,so let's make the second half of the game linear.

I think i should stop reading things about FFXV.It's frightening

Of course.It makes sense now.I mean they couldn't afford to travel with planes,or they didn't have the nerve to steal an airship from those empire soldiers who were coming after them in the demo,or they didn't think to go to space and find a lost supership infested by colourful monsters.No.Trains can get you in places that airships can't anyway,so let's make the second half of the game linear.

I think i should stop reading things about FFXV.It's frightening

Well, technically, for reasons only Kingsglaive may be able to answer, stealing an enemy ship would require far more hassle than they want to put effort into? Not entirely sure, so I'm not saying one way or the other. But, Nifelheim is definitely too far advanced for them to want to risk such a thing, I'm sure. As for the lost supership idea, I don't think any ships exist in the world of FFXV except for the Regalia's secret flying ability, and the Nifelheim ships. And, if there were, you can bet Nifelheim already seized them considering they own everything outside of Lucis lol.

I guess 7.5 out of 10 on reviews

I'm not expecting a metacritic average above 9, but I am expecting it to be at or above 8 personally.

Metacritic is not giving out big ratings to most games that come from Japan, anyway.

Metacritic doesn't give out ratings :P It's a review aggregator. It does add more weight to some specific critics' reviews though, so it's not an entirely fair system either.

Too early to assume a review score without having played the game first, no?

OT:

Aranea Highwind artwork:

Versatile artwork:

What's funny about Aranea's design to me is I've always wondered what her "no mask" look would be, just in terms of how her face would completely come together. After seeing it, I personally prefer her with her mask haha.

There are some Japanese games that review quite well and gain a collective average you'd be surprised by on Metacritic.

For example,

Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid V, Persona 4 Golden, Dark Souls III, and Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel to name a few that have come out since the start of 2015 (except Persona of course). However, I do agree to the extent that many Japanese games do receive a little too much hate sometimes.

Edited by DPtheGod
  • Like 1

Why would you think that would be 7.5 out of 10 on reviews if the game hasn't been released yet!?  :blink:

Just wait and watch people give it a 0 on Metacritic for the silliest reasons. The negativity surrounding this game is astounding. It's beyond my comprehension.

Well, as long as it impresses me that's all that matters to me anyway.

• Like 2

Just wait and watch people give it a 0 on Metacritic for the silliest reasons. The negativity surrounding this game is astounding. It's beyond my comprehension.

Well, as long as it impresses me that's all that matters to me anyway.

But the only I don't get it is why people shall give it a lower score if they haven't played the game yet, even the game still hasn't been released yet .  -_-