Rise of the Tomb Raider

I love TR games, but this is ridiculous with the timed exclusive for the Xbox and wanting almost as much for a year old game than a new one. So I'll sit this one out and wait if they come to their senses when they release another one. They probably won't but there are enough games out there I can play instead so no harm done.

I refuse to buy it after they pulled that exclusive crap. If they didn't want my money last year, they aren't getting it this year.

Or if you actually love this series like I do, just buy it later when it drops to $20 used; they don't see a dime of it and you enjoy a great game for cheap!

EDIT: Ha, the guy above me has the right idea!

Edited by jjjkur
  • Like 2

If they are going to release this game on October for the PS4, then Square Enix must be having a lot of confidence with it.

Because if they do, then that means they are releasing Final Fantasy XV (Sept 30), World of Final Fantasy (Oct 25) and Rise of Tomb Rider all in the span of one month. I sure would love to play all of them, but I think I won't be able to buy all of them at the same time. Maybe I'll buy Final Fantasy XV first and then wait for the others to go on a sale.

Edited by NatsuOne-ID

I persoannly will buy it on first day release because I thought the remake 2010 was a good game. Multilayer let it down so much, so I'm glad they're going back to some roots and keeping it single player... I would prefer a sequel to Underworld from the brilliant trilogy with Keeley Hawes as the voice of Lara Croft or a sequel to Temple of Osirus

New information from Eurogamer:

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration, as it has been dubbed, will contain the aforementioned new chapter, named Blood Ties, which can be played with or without a PlayStation VR. It also includes new online co-op Endurance gameplay, more outfits, weapons, and Expedition Cards plus all of the previously released DLC. There's also an even harder Extreme Survivor difficulty, with all automatic checkpoints stripped out.

Finally - and this one is funny - you'll be able to play the game via five classic Lara Croft models from games over the years. Which means you can actually do this:

146893308413.jpg

Edited by NatsuOne-ID
  • Like 2

I'll add in the Blog link:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/07/19/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-arrives-on-ps4-this-october-with-new-ps-vr-mission/

I'm a bit torn, as tbh, it sounds pretty sweet...the 20th Ann. Ed.   I enjoyed the first and I'll take others word for it on this thread that RoTR is better, so I might just be tempted, really depends on pricing, even with all the extras it's still a year old, and a year old for reasons many of us weren't too pleased with.   Decisions, decisions...

I'm pleasantly surprised! Of course I was hoping for a complete edition but in all honestly wasn't really sure we'd actually get one, and now to find out we're not only just getting it complete but expanded! It's great news! Of course this doesn't mean all is forgotten but hopefully we can now start to forgive? :P It will help if the price is right too obviously.

I'm happy classic Lara isn't forgotten about either. It is her anniversary after all. :) ...and Croft Manor! *high pitched squeal*

...Oh wow. Now I am very conflicted.

I love Croft Manor, it was easily one of my favourite levels (if you can call it that) in Legend and Anniversary, and I was gutted when it wasn't in Underworld to explore freely, instead being confined to a linear level instead. And then 2013 took it away altogether -_-

If the DLC is actually long, and isn't a joke like the DLC tomb in 2013... wow. But, who am I kidding, it'll only be 30 minutes at best.

Likewise, including the classic Lara skins is a neat touch considering it's the 20th anniversary. Not exactly on the level of Tomb Raider Anniversary, but ah well. Imagine if they used the voice clips from the classic games while jumping, swimming, etc. when using them.

I was totally uninterested in this game after 2013. Tomb Raider should be a platformer/adventure/puzzle game, not a shooter. But that Croft Manor DLC has me very interested. Will I get it at full price? lol no. Square don't deserve a full price purchase. But I'm suddenly a lot more excited.

Edit: I also wonder how they'll handle the trophy list - whether or not the DLC will be integrated into the list and necessary for the platinum, like Guacamelee PS4.

The icing on the cake would've been if the Croft Manor DLC, and all the other extras, were exclusive to PS4 for a year.

Edited by madbuk

• 2 months later...

So Lara finally made it a second time on PS4. How are you people liking it so far? As for me, I purchased it a second time and it was worth every penny! So much additional content and a overall fantastic game for roughly 55€. I really hope the game gets the attention it deserves this time.

Edited by GrandPoseidon

So Lara finally made it a second time on PS4. How are you people liking it so far? As for me, I purchased it a second time and it was worth every penny! So much additional content and a overall fantastic game for roughly 55€. I really hope the game gets the attention it deserves this time.

Everybody was saying it was more classic Tomb Raider than the first game in the reboot series, so now I am disappointed at how much the same it actually is as the 2013 game. The prologue and following flashback are classic Tomb Raider but after that it's same old, same old... too little platforming, too much fighting against humans, same old base camps with thought updates, abandonded Russian stations instead of Japanese stations, resource grinding, plot twists that I can see coming a mile away...

Note that I do not think it's a bad game, on the contrary. I think it's a very enjoyable game. I just think Tomb Raider would be better with less action and more huge tombs to platform through. Basically the entire game should be what was teased by that flashback early in the game, in my opinion.

Everybody was saying it was more classic Tomb Raider than the first game in the reboot series, so now I am disappointed at how much the same it actually is as the 2013 game. The prologue and following flashback are classic Tomb Raider but after that it's same old, same old... too little platforming, too much fighting against humans, same old base camps with thought updates, abandonded Russian stations instead of Japanese stations, resource grinding, plot twists that I can see coming a mile away...

Note that I do not think it's a bad game, on the contrary. I think it's a very enjoyable game. I just think Tomb Raider would be better with less action and more huge tombs to platform through. Basically the entire game should be what was teased by that flashback early in the game, in my opinion.

I agree mostly with this. It's still not "Tomb Raider" but it is a smidgen closer than the last game, but then I haven't finished it yet so I don't know if there are more "classic" moments to come. The challenge tombs are certainly a darn sight better than the noob fest the last one offered. I mean they're still spoon-fed to you if you use survival instincts, but there's no doubt they're more fleshed out that before. I remember being so disappointed the last time when there were some that were literally do one tiny thing and done, challenge complete, to then pick up some dumb map or something from a massive chest full of treasure! :facepalm: I've heard Croft Manor offers up some more traditional TR experiences though which is exciting, gonna save that until after the main story.

Rise is definitely a better game than the reboot was for sure. I was really not a fan of it, found it so boring and lacklustre. This one has more sparkle to it, there's at least some interesting story to follow and actually it is a fun game. I feel like I've warmed to the new Lara when before I resented her. It feels like she has more substance this time around. So hopefully with the third game they'll mix the old and new even better, reintroduce more classic aspects into it so it's maybe 50/50? They won't just drop the new that's for certain so the best I think we can hope for is an equal balance.