Same currency psn card trouble

HardXDXtraga

I'm currently living in Austria and bought a 20€ psn card today thinking it would not be a problem since it's the same currency as in my home country (Portugal) but it says it's not valid or as already been used

My question is why doesn't it work? it's the same currency, surely there should be no problem

I'm currently living in Austria and bought a 20€ psn card today thinking it would not be a problem since it's the same currency as in my home country (Portugal) but it says it's not valid or as already been used

My question is why doesn't it work? it's the same currency, surely there should be no problem

Regardless of the same currency the code works only for one country. I can't buy Austria Euro to use on my German Account for example, it just don't work!! Although it might be more obvious with British Pound it's the same thing...

If you want to use that cash you have to create an austrian account...

Edited by Evil_Joker88

Hey, it could be that the card will only activate or be compatible with the same country of purchase. So if you have a Portuguese account or region then perhaps only cards from that region will work. I'm not sure if this if accurate to be honest but I'm only speculating. Somebody has to confirm this.

Welp :/

Anyone wanna buy an austrian psn card? xD

I'm kidding but thanks for the answers, don't really understand why that is though, doesn't make much sense to me

Because SCEE has a different instance of the store for each country/region, and while the products are the same IDs across all instances, the stores themselves are technically different.  Because of this, codes created for one store only work on that store.  If SCEE had just one store for all it's countries and territories, then it wouldn't be an issue.  But your Austrian PSN card is effectively credit for a different store than the Portuguese PSN Store.  That's just how Sony set up their SCEE region.  It'd be nice if they could just integrate everything and go worldwide with one store, like how XBLM does, but considering SCEE can't even properly communicate within their own region, I doubt Sony will ever find a way to properly unify SCEE, SCEA, SCEJ, and all the rest under one worldwide brand.

Because SCEE has a different instance of the store for each country/region, and while the products are the same IDs across all instances, the stores themselves are technically different.  Because of this, codes created for one store only work on that store.  If SCEE had just one store for all it's countries and territories, then it wouldn't be an issue.  But your Austrian PSN card is effectively credit for a different store than the Portuguese PSN Store.  That's just how Sony set up their SCEE region.  It'd be nice if they could just integrate everything and go worldwide with one store, like how XBLM does, but considering SCEE can't even properly communicate within their own region, I doubt Sony will ever find a way to properly unify SCEE, SCEA, SCEJ, and all the rest under one worldwide brand.

If not unite all of them, then at the very least they should unite Canada and USA, but nope, it will never happen.

It's because EU is so vast, with so many regions with different incomes. For example Spain uses the Euro just like us, but they people gain much more money and stuff costs a lot more there, for example we can buy a lot more stuff with 20€ then they can because everything is so much more expensive there. That's why SONY has so much trouble with prices and deals in here, to many different countries, each with their own rules and cost of life, even with so many sharing the same coin.

It's because EU is so vast, with so many regions with different incomes. For example Spain uses the Euro just like us, but they people gain much more money and stuff costs a lot more there, for example we can buy a lot more stuff with 20€ then they can because everything is so much more expensive there. That's why SONY has so much trouble with prices and deals in here, to many different countries, each with their own rules and cost of life, even with so many sharing the same coin.

That's wrong, the pricing on PSN is the same on all Euro zone.

The problem is that SCEE represents the European continent (not just the EU union or Euro zone), as well as Africa, middle east, India, Australia, New Zealand and probably other areas, and all have different currencies, this is why they keep individual PSN stores, since it's easier to do it this way (same stuff with game rating boards and all, that's why not all countries under the SCEE get all games, otherwise they would either release a game everywhere or nowhere, and with German and Australian rating boards, that would be stupidly bad for everyone else under SCEE)

That's wrong, the pricing on PSN is the same on all Euro zone.

The problem is that SCEE represents the European continent (not just the EU union or Euro zone), as well as Africa, middle east, India, Australia, New Zealand and probably other areas, and all have different currencies, this is why they keep individual PSN stores, since it's easier to do it this way (same stuff with game rating boards and all, that's why not all countries under the SCEE get all games, otherwise they would either release a game everywhere or nowhere, and with German and Australian rating boards, that would be stupidly bad for everyone else under SCEE)

I didn't say they all had different prices.

I didn't say they all had different prices.

Sorry, but the comparison you did with being able to buy more stuff with €20 here then in Spain made me thing that you did, since we were talking about PSN not other stuff..

And also, I'm unsure to what extent that's true.. a lot of stuff cost the same in Portugal and Spain, and when it comes to fuel, it's even cheaper in Spain then Portugal, so I don't think it's good to make a generalization there... It would be nice if prices did reflect the income of people of a country, but sadly that's not true.

Oh well, now I know, now to choose what I'll spend my money on since it's not gonna be on Hotline Miami 2 for the vita :(

I'm thinking The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Everybody's gone to the rapture or Salt or Sanctuary, I'd get Life is strange but that has a physical copy which I prefer, thoughts?

Edit: I was browsing through the store just now and realized Hotline Miami 2 is at 4.99€ instead of 14.99€, which means I actually had money to buy it, happy ending! (sort of)

Edited by HardXDXtraga

I would say the context of your post made it pretty obvious =D

I was talking about European countries in general, only place when I mentioned the PSN was when I said "That's why SONY..." I was giving a reason why the PSN had to be separated by regions, because of the different countries, well, differences.