Tips for Pokemon Go

AkasunaUchiha

The game has become incredibly dull over the last week. Being level 22 the game boils down to catch pidgeys/ratatas to level up. Gyms were fun in the beginning but they really don't give much gameplay value. The new updates do not help either. No tracker and increased difficulty on the catch rates pretty much killed it for me. Good thing the game still has the social aspect going for it because without it, i would have dropped it already.

It's a real shame though.

• Like 1

Here's a tip for pokemon go: be lucky! Luck seems to be a huge factor in this game. You have to be lucky that the pokemon you want spawns near you. If it does, and you decide to chase it, you have to be lucky that you're walking towards it and not away from it ( because the in game tracker is broken and they shut down pokevision). If you were lucky to find it, you have to be lucky that it stays in the pokeball. And if you weren't lucky and it broke out of the pokeball, you have to be lucky that it doesn't run away. If it does run away, you have to look for another one and hope you get lucky with that whole process again. Even the amount of cp it has and it's attacks are random. And you have to be lucky enough not to live in a rural area or it would be hard to find pokestops and pokemon.

Even hatching eggs incolves luck. You have to be lucky that the egg is a 10 km and not 2 or 5 km, and then you have to be lucky again that the 10 km egg you luckily got is something rare like a Snorlax and not a pidgey or rattata.

So yeah, hugely dependent on luck. Too bad luck is such an uncontrollable factor...

Level pretty much.  It's kind of like EV training from the normal games but much more simple.

you can't train IVs though, as it's an inherent value each pokemon has that determines how good it is at certain levels. pokemon that is on same level but has higher IV will have higher CP.

Edited by jaehyun1009

I'm pretty sure IV takes everything into account. CP, Hp, Stamina, attack speed, type, potential growth. So that Zubat might not be your strongest right now, but he's the best overall prospect you have now.

Other way around. The CP is calculated based on the Pokemon's hidden stats and level. 

Every species has "base stats" for 3 hidden stats: Attack/Defense/Stamina. So, for a non-representative example, lets say a Pidgey's base stats are 100/100/100. This will be the same for all Pidgey.

Then each individual pokemon will also have 3 IVs, short for "individual values". These can be anywhere from 0-15 for each stat. So if our example Pidgey had IVs of 12/5/14, then his overall stats would be 112/105/114. 

Basically, IVs are like a pokemon's "genes". While every member of the species is roughly the same, in terms of base stats, a pokemon with "perfect" genes/IVs of 15/15/15 will be just that little bit more special. 

• Like 1

New update:

Trainers,
Pokémon GO has been updated to version 0.33.0 for Android and 1.3.0 for iOS devices. Below are some release notes and comments from our development team.

-Added a dialog to remind Trainers that they should not play while traveling above a certain speed. Trainers must confirm they are not driving in order to continue playing.
-Made improvements to the accuracy of a curveball throw.
-Fixed a bug that prevented ”Nice,” ”Great,” and “Excellent” Poké Ball throws from awarding the appropriate XP bonuses. 
-Fixed achievements showing incorrect Medal icons.
-Enabled the ability for Trainers to change their nickname one time. Please choose your new nickname wisely.
-Resolved issues with the battery saver mode on iOS and re-enabled the feature.
-Added visuals of Team Leaders Candela, Blanche, and Spark.
-We’re currently testing a variation of the “Nearby Pokémon” feature with a subset of users. During this period you may see some variation in the nearby Pokémon UI. 
-Minor text fixes

We hope you enjoy this new version and please share your feedback!

The Pokémon GO Team

The new tracking system is quite cool for those who live in big cities.

Seems like rural players get the middle finger.

New update:

The new tracking system is quite cool for those who live in big cities.

Seems like rural players get the middle finger.

I'm not one of the sub-set getting the new tracking system test, but even the "sighted" feature that I get it better than what we had yesterday. "Sighted" only keeps pokemon on the list if they're still in the vicinity, and if you walk closer to them then they move up the list. 

No indication of distance, but as long as there is more than two or 3 pokemon on the Sighted list you can just about figure out where things are. Found a Slowbro this morning thanks to it. Yesterday I wouldn't have had a chance. 

This new update has made less Pokemon appear in the nearby list, had to walk half a mile to my local park just to get any to show up, also am just seeing grass patches next to them, doubt the pokestops with Pokemon shown on them hasn't rolled out for every stop.

Also hatched 5 2k eggs, all of them Rattattas *faceplam* Will still play though, addicted to it lol

The tracking system is working so much better, I have been finding everything that shows up on it. :) I'm in one of the luckier rural areas (16 stops), in the town at the moment and it seems to work great here anyways, will test it out when I get home.

This new update has made less Pokemon appear in the nearby list, had to walk half a mile to my local park just to get any to show up, also am just seeing grass patches next to them, doubt the pokestops with Pokemon shown on them hasn't rolled out for every stop.

Also hatched 5 2k eggs, all of them Rattattas *faceplam* Will still play though, addicted to it lol

Only the beta testers have the Pokéstop Pokémon tracker right now. Everyone else has only the "sightings" one.

The tracking system is working so much better, I have been finding everything that shows up on it. :) I'm in one of the luckier rural areas (16 stops), in the town at the moment and it seems to work great here anyways, will test it out when I get home.

Hell has 16 stops :o?

• Like 2

Are they migrating pokemon again? A bulbasaur spot that I can reach from my desk is spawning loads of random things today, but no Bulbasaur. Anyone else seeing different pokemon at the spawn points?

Kinda disappointing, I was a few bulbasaur shy of being able to evolve a Venusaur. Same thing happened when this spot used to produce Charmander - it dried up just before I could get a Charizard. 

Are they migrating pokemon again? A bulbasaur spot that I can reach from my desk is spawning loads of random things today, but no Bulbasaur. Anyone else seeing different pokemon at the spawn points?

Kinda disappointing, I was a few bulbasaur shy of being able to evolve a Venusaur. Same thing happened when this spot used to produce Charmander - it dried up just before I could get a Charizard.

I feel like this the case with some spawn points, use to be a place near me that had guaranteed Pikachu and Growlithe spots, but since the big update they have despawned or replaced with more common Pokemon it seems

Also feel 2km eggs are just producing Rattattas, but that could just be my bad luck

I feel like this the case with some spawn points, use to be a place near me that had guaranteed Pikachu and Growlithe spots, but since the big update they have despawned or replaced with more common Pokemon it seems

Also feel 2km eggs are just producing Rattattas, but that could just be my bad luck

Hmm. I'll wait and see then. My Bulbasaur spot used to rotate between bulbasaur and common pokemon, but today I've had a Lapras and then a Seel, which I've never seen here before, in addition to the common crap. 

Getting anything decent out of a 2k egg is difficult. I got a charmander once, and a pikachu once. Most of the time its Pidgey, Caterpie, Weedle or Rattata for me too. They're still my favourite egg distance though, because they're easier to hatch and have the chance of the traditional starter pokemon + pikachu. 

• Like 1

Hmm. I'll wait and see then. My Bulbasaur spot used to rotate between bulbasaur and common pokemon, but today I've had a Lapras and then a Seel, which I've never seen here before, in addition to the common crap. 

Getting anything decent out of a 2k egg is difficult. I got a charmander once, and a pikachu once. Most of the time its Pidgey, Caterpie, Weedle or Rattata for me too. They're still my favourite egg distance though, because they're easier to hatch and have the chance of the traditional starter pokemon + pikachu.

Yea the lure of starters with a good amount of candies when getting them from eggs is just too good to ignore.

Finding myself only hatching eggs now, feel places around me just don't have anything worth while to catch, hope the nearby Pokemon stop list gets rolled out for everyone soon, much better than randomly going round circles and hoping for anything decent.

• Like 1

The 2km eggs aren't bad.  Yes you would get the most common Pokemon the most out of them.  But if you have hatched as many as I have (probably at 30 2km eggs now), you'll get the starters a few times each, Clefairy, Pikachu (once for both of these, they seem to be the rarest hatches).  Right now, I have hatched everything from a 2km egg apart from Jigglypuff (have caught this though).  Have 2 of the starter evolutions; Charmeleon (saving this one for my next evolution spree though) and Wartortle, I'm literally sitting on an Ivysaur evolution if I could either catch one or hatch another.

• Like 1

The only decent pokemon i've got from a 2km egg is a Pikachu, always hope for a starter pokemon but always get trolled, so i literally just choose to hatch my 5km eggs even tho it takes longer and today i got my first 10km egg, so excited xD, hopefully it should be a Lapras :D

I use any coins I get to buy extra incubators. I always use the 3 use ones for hatching my 5 and 10km eggs. I abuse thr infinite one for the 2ks.

I really wish there was an option to buy a 2nd infinite incubator. :(

Anyone else get to the point where they're just about to evolve a new species, and then they encounter it in the wild? This has happened about half a dozen times to me. I'll be one or two more catches to evolve and then I'll fine the stage 2 version. :/

Also, I've been taking nightly bike rides with my kids. I turn off my phones auto shut down and just leave it in my pocket during the ride. I'm usually able to hatch one or more 2km eggs on each ride. :)

Evolved Pokemon in the wild are weak tbh. You are much better off to farm the first form, use the one with the best IV (if it's one of the top, if not, evolve whatever has the highest CP) then evolve. I found a Haunter in the wild and ended up with one of the weakest Gengars ever.. He's not in the top, but still if I had just grinded out those extra candies I would have maybe had a 1000+ Gengar instead.

• Like 1

I use any coins I get to buy extra incubators. I always use the 3 use ones for hatching my 5 and 10km eggs. I abuse thr infinite one for the 2ks.

I really wish there was an option to buy a 2nd infinite incubator. :(

Anyone else get to the point where they're just about to evolve a new species, and then they encounter it in the wild? This has happened about half a dozen times to me. I'll be one or two more catches to evolve and then I'll fine the stage 2 version. :/

Also, I've been taking nightly bike rides with my kids. I turn off my phones auto shut down and just leave it in my pocket during the ride. I'm usually able to hatch one or more 2km eggs on each ride. :)

Yeah, I'd love a second infinite!

That's happened to me too. Need one more Venonat, then a Venomoth shows up. Oh well.

I have taken the game with me while running. Found a few Pokemon I hadn't seen before. Easy enough to catch them without breaking stride too. Hatched 2 2km eggs on a 5km run. Both Pidgey. :|