Bloody Fingers and Broken Controllers: Let's Play Retro/Grade (Poll Added)

Next Game For the Series  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these games should we play next? Anyone can vote.

• Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (on sale now)
    • Quantum Conundruim
    • Runner 2 (bit.trip)
    • Sine Mora
    • Other (tell us in the thread)
  2. 2. Should games with a platinum be eligible or should it stay 100% games?

• Plats are the shizz!!!
    • Keep it 100% games only.
    • *Insert Zorry shrug emote here*

I fired it up this morning but didn't have a ton of time. I basically just played the tutorial and then turned it off. I only have one more trophy left for Starwhal, so I'll probably start messing with this tonight.

Dood my strength is Ultra Rare shooters. I'm out of my depth here. Swimming with the prinnies.

lol in all seriousness though in general that isn't a bad rank I mean 98.9% aint bad but when you consider you need to get the best rank in every song in each difficulty then any less than that isn't good enough when going for the 100% in the game dood.

• Like 1

Just got a comet commander rank. Am I a scrub or is that a good rank? I hit 98.9% of the notes.

How much did you try at that level? 98.9% is really good, especially if you're still getting used to the game. You're eventually going to need 100% of the notes (while using no Retro/Fuel), but with a percent that high, you won't need much more tries on it. :)

How much did you try at that level? 98.9% is really good, especially if you're still getting used to the game. You're eventually going to need 100% of the notes (while using no Retro/Fuel), but with a percent that high, you won't need much more tries on it. :)

I just saw you obtained 100% in this game in around 1-2 days, thats impressive ;) was it difficult in your opinion?

I just saw you obtained 100% in this game in around 1-2 days, thats impressive ;) was it difficult in your opinion?

I took about three weeks to 100% it. I just didn't pop any trophies before then. :P But I'd personally rate it as an 9/10.

You need to memorize a lot of each of the songs, especially the toughest and most awkward parts, must be able to react (very) fast, and must have tireless fingers heading towards the last few levels. Each level has its rough spots, which made mastering every level that much more harder to do. I started playing the game on the highest difficulty first. I also constantly failed and re-tried every level in the game until I got the Astro Admiral rank, needing much more than just a few hours every time. I assume an experienced player at Rhythm games is going to have an easier time than I did; this is my first proper rhythm game other than playing 5 minutes of Guitar Hero. But regardless, this great game is still a challenge to complete. :)

• Like 1

I took about three weeks to 100% it. I just didn't pop any trophies before then. :P But I'd personally rate it as an 9/10.

You need to memorize a lot of each of the songs, especially the toughest and most awkward parts, must be able to react (very) fast, and must have tireless fingers heading towards the last few levels. Each level has its rough spots, which made mastering every level that much more harder to do. I started playing the game on the highest difficulty first. I also constantly failed and re-tried every level in the game until I got the Astro Admiral rank, needing much more than just a few hours every time. I assume an experienced player at Rhythm games is going to have an easier time than I did; this is my first proper rhythm game other than playing 5 minutes of Guitar Hero. But regardless, this great game is still a challenge to complete. :)

I see thanks for info :) for a second I thought this game may be a bit similar to Malicious which usually people say its a hard game but if you just keep trying its possible to get 100% in 1-2 days. I will expect a challenge from this in that case :)

Edited by Saionji
  • Like 1

Yeah it looks like you could play ther first 9 levels on each difficulty with AA ranks, and then practice the final one without finishing it. Then you could probably play all the challenge mode stuff before finishing level 01 with AA on each difficulty. Could probably put up a really fast time that way.

Also im sure having played hybrid rhythm games like CoE or Kickbeat would probably help a bit as well.

Looking forward to starting for real tonight. I'll probably start on medium core, but we'll see how that goes.

Edited by Hemiak

Going to start on this tonight but I don't have high expectations for myself. I have absolutely no rhythm in real life and the only rhythm games I've ever played are a couple of old Guitar Hero games. I'm sure I sucked at those too but just can't remember. This could get ugly.  :unsure:

Sign me up ^^

I have already started it because it is free with PS+. This game is great with cool music but really short.

Started as Pro and said this is a genius game but was a bit disappointed because it is so short.

Later played through on X-treme. I see the game need much practice. But once perfect learned you never lose again. Exception that proves the rule. The main trophies can be actually earned in about one hour if organized. Remaining are then the 50 to 100% challenges.

Edited by Dennis-nine-five
  • Like 1

WOW, just wow. I'm lost, confused, and feel so dumb right now. I was even worse than I could have ever imagined. Seriously, I'm afraid that telling you all how bad I suck at this game so far might get me banned from PSNP and force me to turn in my trophy card and retire from gaming. I need some serious help just to understand some of the basics. 

During my time with the tutorial and first level, I looked like someone trying to understand a different language or figure out some foreign alien technology. Finally, I figured out that I need to hit the note things flying right to left and avoid the ones in the opposite direction. However, I have no idea what to do with those streams or groups of missiles. I think I need to hold  :cross: to absorb those streams. Then do I just release it or hit again at the end? As for those groups of missiles I have absolutely no clue. The tutorial said to hold  :cross: and then mash it after absorbing them all. I tried but obviously I'm doing something wrong because I keep failing. What am I supposed to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

WOW, just wow. I'm lost, confused, and feel so dumb right now. I was even worse than I could have ever imagined. Seriously, I'm afraid that telling you all how bad I suck at this game so far might get me banned from PSNP and force me to turn in my trophy card and retire from gaming. I need some serious help just to understand some of the basics. 

During my time with the tutorial and first level, I looked like someone trying to understand a different language or figure out some foreign alien technology. Finally, I figured out that I need to hit the note things flying right to left and avoid the ones in the opposite direction. However, I have no idea what to do with those streams or groups of missiles. I think I need to hold  :cross: to absorb those streams. Then do I just release it or hit again at the end? As for those groups of missiles I have absolutely no clue. The tutorial said to hold  :cross: and then mash it after absorbing them all. I tried but obviously I'm doing something wrong because I keep failing. What am I supposed to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hold X for streams, no need to press or let go of anything at the end. Mash X for the missles and stop mashing when you have absorbed them all. :)

• Like 2

FYI there are always (so far) 8 little missiles in a group.

Edit: Something I decided to check on level 09. You don't have to let go of the held beams at the right time. You don't even technically have to let go of the button at all, and you still get credit.

OK, so I just finished my first try of level 10 on medium core.

Rank - Astro Admiral

Player fire - 124/124

Laser timing - 112/0/0

Enemy attacks - 164/164

Incorrect 0

New low score 550

Ranked 1190th on the score board.

This game is easy AF, event over. :o:D

Level 09, Continuum Captain, after an extremely early restart. Time for attempt 3.

Sonofa, had a 376 note steak, freaked out with a beam when I'd been dodging with no notes for a while and boned it like 20 seconds before the end. :facepalm:

OK, so 6 tries for level 09. I seriously dropped at the final beams 3 times. :facepalm: 173rd on the score board. If just going for trophies completely ignore the over thruster (R1 - X2 multiplier)

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 3

Hold X for streams, no need to press or let go of anything at the end. Mash X for the missles and stop mashing when you have absorbed them all. :)

Oh you just have to mash X from the start of the missiles? Must have read the tutorial wrong because I kept thinking you had to hold it for some reason. Well screw me.  :facepalm:

After reading your message, my score on the 1st level has greatly improved. Went from dying or failing the entire mission (yes I died and used up all of my rewinds because of those missiles) or barely surviving and getting a score in 80%s to a score of 99.4% after learning how to properly play the game. I still suck and will probably struggle to even 100% these levels on the easiest difficulties but at least I can have fun trying now. Thanks.  :)

Interesting. I was playing level 07 and I got hit with a Lazer (2 actually) I decided to finish the stage. Used a rewind to make sure I got a note. I finished it 166/166 player fire undone but 160/162 enemy fire, 2 rewinds, and it gave me Comet commander.

I wonder if I can get Astro Admiral as long as I get the notes and don't rewind.

edit: No I can't. All notes + no rewind, 2 damage= Comet commander.

Also, nvm what I said about 8 missiles. I've now seen groups of 5 and 4 as well.

Edited by Hemiak

FYI there are always (so far) 8 little missiles in a group.

Edit: Something I decided to check on level 2. You don't have to let go of the held beams at the right time. You don't even technically have to let go of the button at all, and you still get credit.

OK, so I just finished my first try of level one on medium core.

Rank - Astro Admiral

Player fire - 124/124

Laser timing - 112/0/0

Enemy attacks - 164/164

Incorrect 0

New low score 550

Ranked 1190th on the score board.

This game is easy AF, event over. :o:D

Level 2, Continuum Captain, after an extremely early restart. Time for attempt 3.

Sonofa, had a 376 note steak, freaked out with a beam when I'd been dodging with no notes for a while and boned it like 20 seconds before the end. :facepalm:

OK, so 6 tries for level 09. I seriously dropped at the final beams 3 times. :facepalm: 173rd on the score board. If just going for trophies completely ignore the over thruster (R1 - X2 multiplier)

Uh, are you talking about Level 2 here, or Level 9 (as the game's levels are ordered backwards)? xD

Uh, are you talking about Level 2 here, or Level 9 (as the game's levels are ordered backwards)? xD

Fixed.

Omfg, I hit the last real note on level 06. Threw my hand up to celebrate and there was one more long beam I didn't remember. :shakefist:

Done for now. AA ranks on 5-10, medium core.

Edit: wife fell asleep and I jumped back on (the game) Earned AA on 4 and 3. 4 is the hardest level so far. It's basically a boss fight and he's got like 8 different attacks. :( More than one can come at the same time.

Level 3 I got on my 2nd attempt. It's a pretty straightforward beat. Not a lot of tricky stuff, you just have to keep up with it and see the notes.

2 Things:

1)Anybody else notice Rick bobs his head to the beat of the songs? You can use this at the start of a song to get in the rhythm and then keep your own head/foot moving to the beat. Sounds dumb but it works wonders.

2) my right thumb is tired AF right now. I haven't played a game where I have to hit X this often in a long time.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1