Bloody Fingers and Broken Controllers: Let's Play Retro/Grade (Poll Added)

Next Game For the Series  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these games should we play next? Anyone can vote.

• Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (on sale now)
    • Quantum Conundruim
    • Runner 2 (bit.trip)
    • Sine Mora
    • Other (tell us in the thread)
  2. 2. Should games with a platinum be eligible or should it stay 100% games?

• Plats are the shizz!!!
    • Keep it 100% games only.
    • *Insert Zorry shrug emote here*

Edit: wife fell asleep and I jumped back on (the game) Earned AA on 4 and 3. 4 is the hardest level so far. It's basically a boss fight and he's got like 8 different attacks. :( More than one can come at the same time.

Looool. Thanks for clarifying. 

So close, I just missed one note, and I pressed it too early. 

635992805730239242589527276_tumblr_inlin

• Like 1

I just turned the game back on and I got Astro on level 8 on the first try. Go to level 7.... Yeah I'll come back to you tomorrow buddy. xD

I managed to get 55k on level 8 as well. I beat that scrub Zajac.  :devil:

1)Anybody else notice Rick bobs his head to the beat of the songs? You can use this at the start of a song to get in the rhythm and then keep your own head/foot moving to the beat. Sounds dumb but it works wonders.

I've been bobbing my head lol

• Like 2

I just turned the game back on and I got Astro on level 8 on the first try. Go to level 7.... Yeah I'll come back to you tomorrow buddy. xD

7 was annoying for sure.

Also, as to the 2nd part of your post. I was thinking people could friend up to compare scores. I also beat Zajac on a couple levels but lately there hasn't been anybody else on my friends list. :(

I think after I finish medium I'll start casual and see how the guitar compares. Depending on the results I'll choose how to tackle the 3 harder difficulties.

7 was annoying for sure.

Also, as to the 2nd part of your post. I was thinking people could friend up to compare scores. I also beat Zajac on a couple levels but lately there hasn't been anybody else on my friends list. :(

I think after I finish medium I'll start casual and see how the guitar compares. Depending on the results I'll choose how to tackle the 3 harder difficulties.

Yeah, I added you.

• Like 1

I don't use the score boost, find it hard to see when it's on. Most people should beat my score. :P

I know you said you were about 40% done, but I noticed you haven't earned any trophies yet. About how much have you actually played? Were/are you going for a fast time?

I used the score boost in the earlier levels, but F messing with that when going for AA on the later levels.

Edited by Hemiak

I know you said you were about 40% done, but I noticed you haven't earned any trophies yet. About how much have you actually played? Were/are you going for a fast time?

I used the score boost in the earlier levels, but F messing with that when going for AA on the later levels.

I've done 5 of the levels getting astro admiral rank on all difficulties. I was toying with the idea of a fast time but I probably won't bother to be honest. Haven't played the game in over a month or so and will just be playing it every now and then. Might get a few trophies on it sometime soon. :)

I don't use the score boost, find it hard to see when it's on. Most people should beat my score. :P

Haven't checked, but I know one person who probably won't beat your score. This guy.

You all are playing the harder difficulties and I'm just chilling over here on Beginner. Got my training wheels, knee and elbow pads, and helmet on. Just trying to survive this madness. I did manage to get Astro Admiral on Level 10 last night and beat a few other levels. Got frustrated trying for AA though so I just kept moving on. I don't use that score boost either. Tried it a couple of times but I couldn't see and it felt weird. 

I just realized on the level select menu each level has a little story bit to read, they are pretty funny doods xD

Wasn't one of the levels named "Rick Roll"? I got a chuckle out of that. Haven't read all the descriptions though. 

Edited by MStalker58

Zajac

Started, too much of a scrub to post his stats

Why do I get so much scrub hate on these forums lmao. Inb4 about 10 people reply "Because you're a scrub" :P

Regarding my stats I've played levels 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, and 5 and got AA rank on all difficulties except x-treme on level 7. I remember I was playing it pretty late at night and getting close and decided to leave it a bit and come back another day. Evidently I didn't come back lol.

I've also played a bit this evening and done level 4 on the first 3 difficulties getting AA rank on them. Hopefully I'll finish it off tomorrow or sometime soon but it looks a bit gross tbh, might take a while. :/

Also beat Hemiak's score on level 4 Mediumcore, what a scrub  B)

Gonna check the other Medium levels now and he's probably beaten me every time haha. :P EDIT: 4-3 to me on the 7 levels I've done on Mediumcore. #I'mreallygoodatstuff

Edited by zajac9999
  • Like 4

Started playing this again today and managed to get my first AA rank on extreme difficulty and almost had my 2nd one but got hit once. I've also made it right to the end of the challenges but I'm stuck on the last one. My thumbs now hurting so I'll get back to it tomorrow.

• Like 4

So I got AA on level 02, then decided to try out the guitar on Kasul difficulty.

It's... Interesting. Basically you use the color buttons to choose your track, and the strum bar to fire. Anyone who had played GH or RB games will have noticed that the colors match up on this game. Green is on top, then red, yellow, blue(pro +), and finally orange (X-treme) one cool thing about guitar is you can skip from the top all the way to the bottom if the path is open. You don't have to hold the buttons when you strum.

Using the whammy bar is your reverse, and you tip the guitar(star power anyone? ) to go into overdrive. You just strum fast for the missiles, no problem. Where it gets a bit wierd is that you have to hold the strum bar down to absorb the beams. There is no analogue for that in any other rhythm game. Usually you strum and hold the color button for sustains.

I played the first two levels and had several mishaps in either one. I think I was getting an occasional phantom strum as well, which means my batteries might be dying. I'm not worried enough to go dig up some new ones, so back to the controller I go.

One thing I noticed is that all of the levels were unlocked on casual difficulty, so if you want to play an easier one out of order it's no problem. I guess it would work best to play X-treme 10-02, and then do 09-01 on all the other difficulties, thereby leaving the easiest level till last. That is, if you're interested in speed running the trophies.

I decided to try out pro diff next. Sure enough, I have to play them all in order again. It added in the blue track, and started adding double and triple presses as well. Nothing too hard for level 10 (AA earned). Time to watch some Olympics with the wife.

Edit: Got a bit more time in before bed. Decided to see what the fuss is about. Let's jack if up to X-treme. xD

Level 10 wasn't too bad. AA. rank after about 35 minutes. Level 09 took me 1.5 hours though. :( Probably should have just gone to bed after I missed the same delayed note 60% through the song like the 4th time. :facepalm:

Total progress so far

Medium: 10-02. AA rank

Pro: 10 AA

X: 10&09 AA

Edited by Hemiak

Decided against going for a fast time, mostly as I'm not too fussed about the fastest times but also I'm lazy and cba with it. I want to earn some of the trophies too. That being said  started doing a few of the challenges, the initial ones are quite boring as it's all on beginner difficulty, hoping they pick up fairly quickly. :)

Decided against going for a fast time, mostly as I'm not too fussed about the fastest times but also I'm lazy and cba with it. I want to earn some of the trophies too. That being said  started doing a few of the challenges, the initial ones are quite boring as it's all on beginner difficulty, hoping they pick up fairly quickly. :)

You can skip to the harder challenges if you want. Often, you'll get to challenges on the map that lead to a wormhole under it. You can unlock them by beating the challenge with a high rank. These wormholes go further into the map, most times even taking you to challenges of the next difficulty level. While you will need to come back and do to these eventually, you can use them to get to the Tough and X-TREME challenges really quickly. :)

Edited by Taiga Aisaka

I hoped on x-terme to see what it was like. Well that's a big ol' bowl of nope flakes. How the hell did even 0.35% people do this? No that's not the right question.... How the hell did Rick (The character) do this forwards? Did he smoke a whole bunch of crack? Like how the hell would anyone take down that many people and dodge all that? xD

• Like 1

Got a late start tonight but made a little progress.

Decided to follow Zajac's lead and jumped on the challenges. Did the first 11 before I moved on. There's 130, so doing 10 or so a night should help break it up a bit.

Next I decided to keep going on X-treme. I just wanted to get through some levels so they'd be unlocked on all the difficulties. Played through to number 5, then decided it didn't seem to bad. Spent abut 40 minutes and got another AA rank. Now it's time for bed. Also,. Fuck the levels with big ass lazers on X-treme, absolutely brutal.

Kids are doing a lemonade stand tomorrow with friends, so I might get some time during the day to play.

It looks like some here want to get a fast time from 1st to last trophy. I guess I know a way to do it in some hours. However.

Little update:

I got to the end of the challenges +50 challenges.

I love the speed lvls with 120%; 140% speed. Too bad I found only few. Would be cool if they were some 200% speed lvl.

In general the challenges are only at the end "challenges". Before they are like patience challenges with 85% speed, reversed lanes or sth disabled and stuff. Really easy

I got AA on all beginner lvls and have 47% trophies.

I wanted a challenge so I jumped right into campaign of Retro/Grade without the Tutorial. Just played it and learned about the overthrusted I never used (thought before it is some kind of slow motion) :P

It doubles the multiplier for a short period of time and can go up to ×40 instead of ×20.

Now I will get some Low Scores :D

It really is the PSNP dream.

Seems that way :'(

Quick update... I played some of the challenge mode today all still very easy so far and a bit dull but I've finished the first 50 and stopped when I got the trophy. Hopefully they will pick up from here on in. 

I also finished off the last levels on Beginner, Casual and Mediumcore and got the trophies for those and getting AA rank on those as well. :) I might continue and aim to finish pro off tomorrow, I'll see how I feel. :D

Everybody's updated through here.

I got a bit of time in this afternoon and made a bit of progress. Played on casual and finished about half the levels AA easily. Then played 4 and 3 on X-treme. 4 is absolutely horrendous, but three seems pretty doable.

Hoping to get some more time here in a bit.

Edit: shit, literally 8 notes from the end of level 03 and I clip an enemy bullet. FML, now I'm all jittery. Need to calm the F down before trying again.

Edited by Hemiak