Bloody Fingers and Broken Controllers: Let's Play Retro/Grade (Poll Added)

Next Game For the Series  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these games should we play next? Anyone can vote.

• Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (on sale now)
    • Quantum Conundruim
    • Runner 2 (bit.trip)
    • Sine Mora
    • Other (tell us in the thread)
  2. 2. Should games with a platinum be eligible or should it stay 100% games?

• Plats are the shizz!!!
    • Keep it 100% games only.
    • *Insert Zorry shrug emote here*

My progress havent really moved much lol -_- my fingers are fast but they are kinda weak and I m making mistakes often on Xtreme in the middle of a song.

I have a question for you guys, for those who have comleted all challenges... I m currently struggling to get a high rank on challenge X2 to unlock that teleport to the last part of challenges. How did you guys did it? I m always getting A rank, even thou I completed it with no rewinds or quite a high score I think which was around 8 mln. The only thing I can think of to pass this is to get a perfect on this which is ltterally the same as getting AA on Xtreme.

I'll look in a few mins to be sure of what I did, but you probably need an S- rank. This is getting a continuum captain rank or whatever it is. Basically an AA rank but you can use the rewinds etc. So aim for no mistakes but use as much rewind as possible to ensure you get that. 

I've only ever had an A rank once with 'no mistakes' and I played absolutely trash and made about 1,000,000 mistakes lol.

Also for weak fingers just push out a few hundred 1 finger pushups, no problem right. ;)

I see a new reply added. I bet it's that troublesome Dennis posting before me again lol. :P

Edit: I was right, as always... it's a curse. ;)

Edited by zajac9999
  • Like 3

The thing is that you are allowed to do the rewinds. You can use it really often and still get A+ (about 10 times, don't know exactly).

But you have to get all notes without mistake. If a mistake happens rewind it.

I see, thanks for info. I was practising that challenge a lot now and after doing it I think I will jump straight to campaign and try to do AA on stage 01 on Xtreme lol.

My fingers arent really that weak but they are getting tired in the middle of a song a so mistakes happens more often <_<

Also for weak fingers just push out a few hundred 1 finger pushups, no problem right. ;)

I m on it ;)

• Like 2

I'll join this event. I haven't got very far at all yet - just finished getting the Astral Admiral rank on all levels on beginner difficulty. I will certainly continue though, will do what I can, and hopefully one day, I'll have 100%. 

UPDATE: just did the first (or last) 3 levels on causal also, and on each one got AA on first attempt. I will continue later or some other time. 

Edited by Midnightwards666
  • Like 2

I'll join this event. I haven't got very far at all yet - just finished getting the Astral Admiral rank on all levels on beginner difficulty. I will certainly continue though, will do what I can, and hopefully one day, I'll have 100%.

UPDATE: just did the first (or last) 3 levels on causal also, and on each one got AA on first attempt. I will continue later or some other time.

Added, welcome to the party.

Got some time tonight and focused on challenges. I've done 46 of them, I have the one named 24 open, but didn't do it since I'm pretty sure that the one that triggers the end trophy. I knocked out a bunch of the X-treme and tough diff challenges.

I had absolutely no trouble with the ones for hitting perfect notes (3/4 of rewind gauge left) or the one for scoring poorly. I finished that one with over 12.5 million points. The key is to just do nothing any time you get the shield bubble. Also anytime you get to a X5 multiplier just miss one note and continue on. You'll get enough hp back to make sure you don't actually fail the challenge.

However I failed about 4 times on the one right before the end that guards the final wormhole. It's one where you can't take any damage. Even with rewinds I had to restart 3 times. I was like "why the hell am I having so much trouble?" but then I realized I've only played this level in challenge mode so it's almost completely unfamiliar. :dunno:

Edit: went back to the campaign. Did 10, 9, and 5 on tough, since I had them done on X-treme. Then did 8 on tough, and then did it on X. Now I have 4/10 AA on tough and X-treme.

Edited by Hemiak

My progress looks like this...

Beginner: AA (10/10)

Casual: AA (10/10)

Mediumcore: AA (10/10)

Pro: AA (10/10)

Tough: AA (10/10)

X-treme: AA (2/10)

All challenges completed

Trophies 85%

After beating all challenges doing AA on Pro and Though was really easy lol and now focusing on Xtreme difficulty. I would recommend to anyone who started this game just do challenges straight away as they will prepare you well for doing AA on higher difficulties.

Beginner: AA (10/10)

Casual: AA (10/10)

Mediumcore: AA (10/10)

Pro: AA (10/10)

All challenges completed

Trophies 85%

After beating all challenges doing AA on Pro and Though was really easy lol and now focusing on Xtreme difficulty. I would recommend to anyone who started this game just do challenges straight away as they will prepare you well for doing AA on higher difficulties.

Reminds me of something I said a while back. :P

Nice progress though. :D I haven't played this in days, been a bit busy with other stuff and just not feeling like it lol

• Like 1

Reminds me of something I said a while back. :P

Nice progress though. :D I haven't played this in days, been a bit busy with other stuff and just not feeling like it lol

Thanks and yep, your advices were very good :P

Edited by Saionji

On 19.8.2016 at 6:37 AM, Hemiak said:

Added, welcome to the party.

Got some time tonight and focused on challenges. I've done 46 of them, I have the one named 24 open, but didn't do it since I'm pretty sure that the one that triggers the end trophy. I knocked out a bunch of the X-treme and tough diff challenges.

I had absolutely no trouble with the ones for hitting perfect notes (3/4 of rewind gauge left) or the one for scoring poorly. I finished that one with over 12.5 million points. The key is to just do nothing any time you get the shield bubble. Also anytime you get to a X5 multiplier just miss one note and continue on. You'll get enough hp back to make sure you don't actually fail the challenge.

You are correct the last one "24"-lvl will unlock the challenge end map trophy.

Little additional info for keeping high scores (bad scores):

Always get it by shiny enemy attacks from the left those are PowerDowns. They will give to a high percent +5000 points (score penalty). Also try to stay on limits with the health of the ship, so the PowerUps will give to high percent health. If you die by getting a PowerDown just rewind. The PowerDown will stay (also PowerUps)

This will give easily S+ ;)

On 19.8.2016 at 3:13 PM, Saionji said:

Saionji catched up. Exactly my progress :lol:

I have beaten Tough yesterday and studied the whole game. I try to get in Top 30 on the campaign leaderboard. In the challenges I reached already Top 30 ^^

I know you all don't care for the scores...

I think I will make a Trophy-Guide, but I need to improve my explanation I guess ;)

Edited by Dennis-nine-five
+5000 penalty

You are correct the last one "24"-lvl will unlock the challenge end map trophy. Little additional info for keeping high scores (bad scores):

Always get it by shiny enemy attacks from the left those are PowerDowns. They will give to a high percent +15000 points (score penalty). Also try to stay on limits with the health of the ship, so the PowerUps will give to high percent health. If you die by getting a PowerDown just rewind. The PowerDown will stay (also PowerUps)

This will give easily S+ ;)Saionji catched up. Exactly my progress :lol:

I have beaten Tough yesterday and studied the whole game. I try to get in Top 30 on the campaign leaderboard. In the challenges I reached already Top 30 ^^

I know you all don't care for the scores...

I think I will make a Trophy-Guide, but I need to improve my explanation I guess ;)

Will you need help with that trophy guide? I'd be glad to contribute. :)

• Like 1

You are correct the last one "24"-lvl will unlock the challenge end map trophy.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Also I was thinking about a guide too, but I'm not sure it actually needs one. A while back I started one for Child of Eden, but after like 10 minutes I was like "What's the point?" Basically it's just perfect the levels and replay until you get all the items. I kind of feel this one is the same way, you could do it, but is it really necessary?

Just link Quantum Mercury's videos for each AA rank on X-treme and you should be good.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

Thanks for the confirmation.

Also I was thinking about a guide too, but I'm not sure it actually needs one. A while back I started one for Child of Eden, but after like 10 minutes I was like "What's the point?" Basically it's just perfect the levels and replay until you get all the items. I kind of feel this one is the same way, you could do it, but is it really necessary?

Just link Quantum Mercury's videos for each AA rank on X-treme and you should be good.

I always think the same way. It is actually not necessary. Pros doesn't use Guides except only looking trough once or if they want to do it fast. I wanted to do Retro/Grade in under 5 hours on my 2nd account just for fun :P So I thought I can do a Guide for it meanwhile. And I can give good tips for mastering some lvls where are difficult parts and how to train them effective. I don't think videos help for it where someone only beats it...

My main thought by that is to get comfortable with the Guide system here, do one UR-Game and get Premium Membership.

I hope that qualify me for Premium then ^^

Will you need help with that trophy guide? I'd be glad to contribute. :)

If it is allowed I really want it to do the Guide with you then.

I don't know exactly the requirements for getting Premium through a Guide. I mean if I am allowed to work with other together or if it has to be with a Plat ^^

• Like 1

I always think the same way. It is actually not necessary. Pros doesn't use Guides except only looking trough once or if they want to do it fast. I wanted to do Retro/Grade in under 5 hours on my 2nd account just for fun :P So I thought I can do a Guide for it meanwhile. And I can give good tips for mastering some lvls where are difficult parts and how to train them effective. I don't think videos help for it where someone only beats it...

My main thought by that is to get comfortable with the Guide system here, do one UR-Game and get Premium Membership.

I hope that qualify me for Premium then ^^

If it is allowed I really want it to do the Guide with you then.

I don't know exactly the requirements for getting Premium through a Guide. I mean if I am allowed to work with other together or if it has to be with a Plat ^^

Maybe just shoot Nerdrage a pm and ask him about it. I'm not sure it specifically states in his event whether that counts or not.
  • Like 1

49 challenges done, and I opened the wormhole to the final section.

Earned AA on level 07 on tough and X, for 5/10 on both. Then hit level 4 on pro, so now I have those at 9/10

Edited by Hemiak

49 challenges done, and I opened the wormhole to the final section.

I can imagine how often you counted that :D

Progress:

X-treme: (7/10) I have lvl 6,2 and 1 left

I am a bit busy with other game boosts ;)

EDIT: It was 5 instead of 6, done it both now

I think Saionji is almost done :ninja:

Edited by Dennis-nine-five

I can imagine how often you counted that :D

I don't know what you're talking about. :ninja:

Finished level 06 on tough and X-treme just now. Then did 03 on tough, and failed literally 8 notes from the end on X-treme first try. 5 tried later and I had to leave. :facepalm:

Finished off 03,then 02 on tough and X-treme. Then decided it would be good to start 04 on X-treme first. :dunno: Anyway, I made some progress but didn't finish that yet.

9/10 casual => pro

8/10 tough + X-treme

Should probably do the beginner diff at some point I guess.

Laa3fba.png [/size]

Retro Grade completed!

I just finished Retro Grade guys and I must say... what a noobs, no one was able to beat me to the 100% lol ;D once your fingers and eyes get used to this game motion it isnt so hard so I would give this game 8/10. Hardest stages were 01,02 and 05 on Xtreme to do an AA rank on them. It was a very fun game nonetheless and definitely worth playing. Thanks everyone for this awesome event and good luck to those that havent earned their 100% yet :) I feel like I want to relax with an easier plat now after the frustration with this game lol xD
Awesome job Reimi. Knew you could do it.

I didn't play last night but I had some time this morning. Did 9/10 AA on beginner and then did 04 on X-treme and tough. Got about 30 min of practice on 01 and I feel it's easier than 04 "for me" . I tend to do better with the fast constant movement rather than dodging and reacting a lot with fewer notes. I got past the part with the long strings of bullets and probably another 30 seconds before I blew my last run. Hopefully. I should be able to finish all the AA ranks tonight and get started on the challenges. No way I can do it all in one night though. I simply don't have that much time to play in a given night.

Edit: goal failed. I switched TVs so the wife could watch her shows while I played. Dunno what it was but 1.5 hours of pain and suffering ensued. I only made it back to the bullet strings once and never once made it through them flawlessly.

I just decided to finish with CC rank, and then got AA on the last levels of beginner through pro. Then I played about 10 more challenges, earning The End and 50 challenges. 80% completion now, 46 min trophy gap, lol.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

Congratulations, Saionji! That's a good achievement.

As for my progress, today I played and got AA on all tracks on casual difficulty (not a lot compared to most of you lol). Also tried the first 2 levels on mediumcore, got AA very easily on those too. Currently, my main focus is on SSX not this game, and I am close to the platinum. Once that is done, and after going away for a few days, I will start working on this game more, so my progress will be faster.  

• Like 1

I put this game aside for a bit, but I've just completed the campaign on X-TREME difficulty level, so I've got 4 extra trophies from that (getting me a 28%, which isn't much but it is better than 9%). I've also earned the AA rank on Beginner and Mediumcore Level 10. I think I might do some challenges now and try to get AA ranks whenever I feel like it. It doesn't really help that the two scores that show up for me are Saionji's and Dennis' because they've got mad skills. I don't know if anyone asked before, but what do you guys think is the best method, get AA ranks one level at a time on every difficulty or all levels on one difficulty and then onto the next?

I put this game aside for a bit, but I've just completed the campaign on X-TREME difficulty level, so I've got 4 extra trophies from that (getting me a 28%, which isn't much but it is better than 9%). I've also earned the AA rank on Beginner and Mediumcore Level 10. I think I might do some challenges now and try to get AA ranks whenever I feel like it. It doesn't really help that the two scores that show up for me are Saionji's and Dennis' because they've got mad skills. I don't know if anyone asked before, but what do you guys think is the best method, get AA ranks one level at a time on every difficulty or all levels on one difficulty and then onto the next?

Level by level over difficulty by difficulty. You'll have more memorization of the level, which helps a lot more than just going through each difficulty at a time. :)

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone asked before, but what do you guys think is the best method, get AA ranks one level at a time on every difficulty or all levels on one difficulty and then onto the next?

I'd play beginner through medium in whatever order, as you're just getting a feel for the game. Then do pro, tough, X, for each song in order.
  • Like 1

Tried starting back on this game today but after about 10 seconds into a level, I realized that I was way too tired for this. Guess traveling around 2,000 miles on a red-eye flight followed by a 3 hour drive with no sleep since the night before isn't the best recipe for success at Retro/Grade. Everything was just a massive blur and I couldn't concentrate. Think that I'm going to sleep for an entire day and try again tomorrow.

I see that we had our first contestant get 100%. Congrats ReimiSaionji!  :)

• Like 1

I had the morning off, so I warmed up by knocking out some challenges. Then I buckled down and worked level 01, earning AA on tough and X-treme. So glad to be done with that. Worked quite a few more challenges but now it's time for work.

10/10 AA beginner => X-treme

105/130 challenges

95% complete

My rarest cabinet went from 4/5 Kickbeat to 3/5 from Retro-Grade. When I finish the challenges that will be 4/5, lol.

I'm taking suggestions for an eventual next game in this series. (yes, "stick it up your @$$ is an acceptable, though disheartening, suggestion) After I get a few suggestions I'll put up a poll and allow people to vote on what game the next event will feature.

I was originally thinking about keeping this series all about 100% games, or maybe even ps+ titles, but I think I'll just accept any suggestion at this point.

Also, it probably won't go up until much later in the year, so you'll have plenty of time to continue working on R/G (or not)

Edited by Hemiak