Bloody Fingers and Broken Controllers: Let's Play Retro/Grade (Poll Added)

Next Game For the Series  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these games should we play next? Anyone can vote.

• Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (on sale now)
    • Quantum Conundruim
    • Runner 2 (bit.trip)
    • Sine Mora
    • Other (tell us in the thread)
  2. 2. Should games with a platinum be eligible or should it stay 100% games?

• Plats are the shizz!!!
    • Keep it 100% games only.
    • *Insert Zorry shrug emote here*

Just earned first trophy and completed Beginner dificulty with all AA ranks now moving on to casual difficulty, this is my progress...

Beginner: AA (10/10)

Casual: AA (0/10)

Mediumcore: AA (0/10)

Pro: AA (0/10)

Tough: AA (0/10)

X-treme: AA (0/10)

Challenges: 0 completed

Trophies: 14%

I dont know how that scrub Zajac is doing it but I cant reach his scores even if I get Great on all notes and 100% along with AA rank :P but I have one friend on FL who has far superior scores and Dennis has some nice as well so I guess there is a method for this :D

• Like 2

I dont know how that scrub Zajac is doing it but I cant reach his scores even if I get Great on all notes and 100% along with AA rank :P but I have one friend on FL who has far superior scores and Dennis has some nice as well so I guess there is a method for this :D

Use the legendary Overthruster when you have ×20 multiplier with R1 ;D

Just beat all challenges. That was intense. Loved the last ones :)

Now I can concentrate on Campaign

Edited by Dennis-nine-five
  • Like 3

Use the legendary Overthruster when you have ×20 multiplier with R1 ;D

Just beat all challenges. That was intense. Loved the last ones :)

Now I can concentrate on Campaign

Congrats and thanks for info, it was even in the tutorial thou :facepalm:

Just tried this method and you can see my score on casual stage 04 lol :awesome:

Its kind of a pian to use this and not really any trophy requirement so I guess I will stop fooling around and focus on those AA ranks only :D

• Like 1

Congrats and thanks for info, it was even in the tutorial thou :facepalm:

Just tried this method and you can see my score on casual stage 04 lol :awesome:

Its kind of a pian to use this and not really any trophy requirement so I guess I will stop fooling around and focus on those AA ranks only :D

I don't use the legendary overthruster or whatever it is called anyways, it makes it hard to see the notes properly, for me at least, and so I'd rather focus on the AA ranks. 

Also is it only me or are the hardest challenges the ones where you have to do badly and get a high score. They're the only ones I haven't done first try so far. :/

Edited by zajac9999
  • Like 1

Did a few challenges yesterday, very few and because they were too boring I somehow decided jumping to X-Treme would be a good idea. I failed hard, but I tried again and I feel that once you really get into the groove :dance: it should be doable. I am very far away from an AA rank on X-Treme though. (And I gave up at Level 8 on X-Treme, because I just couldn't deal with those stupid enemy beams)

Yesterday I didn't get a ton of time to play. It was the first day of NFL football preseason, so my wife and I watched our team play against my other team. Im now up to 23 challenges done. Ive been getting S+ ranks to use the wormholes whenever possible. I'm now to the tough difficulty challenges and it's becoming more palatable.

Edit: totally forgot but I took a look at the ships I had unlocked during challenge mode. There's a fighter variation that is green and a little cooler looking, one I don't remember, one where Rick is Octo-dad, and a Mine craft one. I'm pretty sure both of those games came out after Retro Grade.???

Anyway, I switched to fighter cause it looked a bit cooler. Anybody else switch ships or you guys just rocking standard?

Edited by Hemiak

Everybody updated...

Except I just looked at the trophy page and it looks like everybody has been hard at work. :tears:

Zajac and Dennis are now tied at 80%, and Reime and Stalker are tied as well. :) Also, the 4 of you are the top 4 on the recent players tab. :D:highfive:

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 3

Played a reasonable amount of Retro/Grade today, finished all the challenges and got all AA ranks on Pro difficulty as well as finishing all levels on tough and x-treme. Will maybe look at finishing the tough AA ranks tomorrow. :)

Challenge mode was surprisingly easy, there were a couple of the 'do badly' challenges which didn't leave much room and I found it very hard to time the notes consistently badly, always straying back to good timing out of habit lol. Also there was a one later challenge where you had to get a good score on level 7 x-treme difficulty which meant I had to use the double points thruster and as such couldn't see anything. That challenge took 4 or 5 goes (more than any other) and that was due to losing where notes were when overthruster was on. I just memorised where I had to go and did that the next time nothing too challenging. 

I feel like 100% will mainly rest on if I can do level 4 AA rank on X-treme or not. Those black holes are horrible!

• Like 2

My progress is as follows...

Casual: AA (10/10)

Mediumcore: AA (9/10)

I dont know if I was just a bit tired or I suck at this game but some AA ranks on normal took me around 10-15 tries -_- I noticed if you shot while there is no note you wont get AA rank even if you have 100% player & enemy fire undone btw.

Reimi-Waifu-onji

and btw :P

Made some decent progress today and got AA ranks on all levels in Mediumcore difficulty. Almost had my first "Bloody Fingers and Broken Controller" moment while trying to get Astro Admiral on Level 03. I struggled mightily with that level for some reason. Kept making it to the final stretch pretty consistently but jut kept messing up before the end. Now I know what that feeling is like.  :(

After more attempts than I care to admit, I'm pretty much drained and ready for a break from those levels before trying Pro difficulty. Might take a look at some of the challenges tonight.

Progress:

Mediumcore: AA (10/10)

Trophies: 9/21 (42%)

Lol, I was wondering how long that would go unnoticed. It was purely in reference to your trophy profile. :D

Made some decent progress today and got AA ranks on all levels in Mediumcore difficulty. Almost had my first "Bloody Fingers and Broken Controller" moment while trying to get Astro Admiral on Level 03. I struggled mightily with that level for some reason. Kept making it to the final stretch pretty consistently but jut kept messing up before the end. Now I know what that feeling is like. :(

Progress:

For sure it's frustrating to make it through 3min 45 Seconds of a 4 min song and then screw up.

Great progress guys.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

I dont know if I was just a bit tired or I suck at this game but some AA ranks on normal took me around 10-15 tries -_- I noticed if you shot while there is no note you wont get AA rank even if you have 100% player & enemy fire undone btw.

Made some decent progress today and got AA ranks on all levels in Mediumcore difficulty. Almost had my first "Bloody Fingers and Broken Controller" moment while trying to get Astro Admiral on Level 03. I struggled mightily with that level for some reason. Kept making it to the final stretch pretty consistently but jut kept messing up before the end. Now I know what that feeling is like.  :(

After more attempts than I care to admit, I'm pretty much drained and ready for a break from those levels before trying Pro difficulty. Might take a look at some of the challenges tonight.

Progress:

I'd suggest doing some of the challenges / a lot of the challenges if you find you're struggling a lot with the AA ranks. There's more of a learning curve there imo and it's not as harsh as 1 hit and you've failed so you'll get more time playing through the harder difficulties. It certainly made pro AA's more easy for me to do when I came back. Got the final few first try. :)

• Like 3

FYI, Quantum Mercury recommends playing each song straight through on the different difficulties,. Instead of doing them in order. That way the song gets really ingrained in your head and you don't have to relearn each beat multiple times.

• Like 1

Lol, I was wondering how long that would go unnoticed. It was purely in reference to your trophy profile. :D

sure thing, I guess its better than Bragging Saionji :lol:

I'd suggest doing some of the challenges / a lot of the challenges if you find you're struggling a lot with the AA ranks. There's more of a learning curve there imo and it's not as harsh as 1 hit and you've failed so you'll get more time playing through the harder difficulties. It certainly made pro AA's more easy for me to do when I came back. Got the final few first try. :)

I see, thanks for info. I will try that.

Focused solely on the challenges today and completed 50 of them. Played offline because I didn't want you doods to see my terrible scores and pick on me  my internet has been a bit iffy today. Challenges are still easy up to this point as I haven't had to do a 2nd attempt on any so far but they have become less boring with the increase in difficulty. My favorite challenge so far are the ones where they speed up the song, especially on a higher difficulty song. Think I'm going to call it a night on this and get in a little Yakuza time but next time I get on think I'm going to do the tip Quantum Mercury suggested as that sounds like a pretty good idea doods

FYI, Quantum Mercury recommends playing each song straight through on the different difficulties,. Instead of doing them in order. That way the song gets really ingrained in your head and you don't have to relearn each beat multiple times.

It may sound good for some but honestly I like slowly moving through difficulties finishing them before advancing to the higher ones as on the higher ones you have more lines to take care of and I like to learn my way around the number of lines current difficulty has to offer instead of jumping between difficulties. Thats just my prefference :)

I'm going to be out of town for about a week so I won't be playing Retro/Grade or any games. Just wanted to let you all know so you don't think I've given up on the game or abandoned the event. I'll be back in 7-8 days and I'll definitely start the game back up when I return from my trip.

I'll probably check the forums occasionally while I'm away but in case I don't, good luck to everyone. I'll be back and ready to tackle these tougher difficulties.  :)

• Like 3

I had a board meeting for my kids swim team last night, and then I started on some courses I'll be taking in the evenings for a while.  Then I watched some Olympics with the wife before playing some Dragon's Dogma.  Hoping to get some R/G time tonight.  

Have a good and safe trip Stalker.

I haven't really played the last couple of days as I've been tired and not really in the mood, hoping to play again tomorrow. :) Where are other people's updates? :P

I always do a little mistake. Again and again :shakefist:

But I will not give up. I have been waiting for such a tough challenge :awesome:

Tough: (8/10)

X-treme:(2/10)

I am trying to complete Tough first and trained also on all lvls on X-treme. Really tired right now uff..

I always do a little mistake. Again and again :shakefist:

But I will not give up. I have been waiting for such a tough challenge :awesome:

Tough: (8/10)

X-treme:(2/10)

I am trying to complete Tough first and trained also on all lvls on X-treme. Really tired right now uff..

Which levels have you got left on tough? I have 4, 2, 1. On x-treme I think I have 7, 4, 3, 2, 1.

My progress havent really moved much lol -_- my fingers are fast but they are kinda weak and I m making mistakes often on Xtreme in the middle of a song.

I have a question for you guys, for those who have comleted all challenges... I m currently struggling to get a high rank on challenge X2 to unlock that teleport to the last part of challenges. How did you guys did it? I m always getting A rank, even thou I completed it with no rewinds or quite a high score I think which was around 8 mln. The only thing I can think of to pass this is to get a perfect on this which is ltterally the same as getting AA on Xtreme.

My progress havent really moved much lol -_- my fingers are fast but they are kinda weak and I m making mistakes often on Xtreme in the middle of a song.

I have a question for you guys, for those who have comleted all challenges... I m currently struggling to get a high rank on challenge X2 to unlock that teleport to the last part of challenges. How did you guys did it? I m always getting A rank, even thou I completed it with no rewinds or quite a high score I think which was around 8 mln. The only thing I can think of to pass this is to get a perfect on this which is ltterally the same as getting AA on Xtreme.

The thing is that you are allowed to do the rewinds. You can use it really often and still get A+ (about 10 times, don't know exactly).

But you have to get all notes without mistake. If a mistake happens rewind it.

• Like 1