Bloody Fingers and Broken Controllers: Let's Play Retro/Grade (Poll Added)

Next Game For the Series  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these games should we play next? Anyone can vote.

• Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (on sale now)
    • Quantum Conundruim
    • Runner 2 (bit.trip)
    • Sine Mora
    • Other (tell us in the thread)
  2. 2. Should games with a platinum be eligible or should it stay 100% games?

• Plats are the shizz!!!
    • Keep it 100% games only.
    • *Insert Zorry shrug emote here*

I was originally thinking about keeping this series all about 100% games, or maybe even ps+ titles, but I think I'll just accept any suggestion at this point.

I dont really plan any challenging games soon except Persona 4 Arena so if you like to create an event for it I m definitely up :D

Other than this I m not sure what I can recomend...

Giana Sister Twisted Dreams (I heard this game isnt hard at all thou, I think Retro is much harder than this thou)

Grid Autosport

Shadow of the Collosus

#2!!! Retro/Grade 100%

I completed the final challenge at 12:35am. I wasn't quite able to catch Dennis' challenge rank (31), but finished in a respectable 36th.

Also, if anybody missed my sneaky edit of the above post, check it out, and let me know what you think.

Congrats! well done.

• Like 1

I dont really plan any challenging games soon except Persona 4 Arena so if you like to create an event for it I m definitely up :D

Giana Sister Twisted Dreams (I heard this game isnt hard at all thou, I think Retro is much harder than this thou)

Grid Autosport

Shadow of the Collosus

Congrats! well done.

I would say Giana fits in really nicely for this 'series' It's a 100% game and it's really easy to track and report progress similar to cloudberry and retro. 

It's not too hard, if you're decent at platformers, but I wouldn't say it's not hard at all. Has anyone else said it's pretty easy? (other than me) I would say retro is probably harder due to AA rank being more unforgiving.

SotC could work, though Hemiak has the plat. I think grid autosport is just a long grind pretty much, not really ideal for this.

As far as my retro progress goes, I'm yet to play since last time, still need 3/10 on tough and 5 (or 6) / 10 on x-treme. I think it's very doable, I'm just being lazy tbh. 

• Like 1

Good News: I started back on the game last night and got 3 AA ranks on Pro, 2 AA ranks on Tough, completed a couple of stages on X-treme, and finished a few more challenges. Was a little bit rusty at first but got my rhythm back after some practice.  :)

Bad News: I got my first taste of X-treme and that's some next level shit. I couldn't even get angry or frustrated enough to break any controllers. It was so beyond my skills that all I could do is laugh and quickly accept that 100% in this game isn't in my future. I know my limits, and getting AA on X-treme just isn't happening. I tip my hat to all of you that can do that. 

Grid Autosport

Shadow of the Collosus

There's nothing difficult at all about Grid Autosport. It's just a ridiculously long, boring, and miserable grind with the online trophies. SotC would fit the criteria with a few of those time attacks but like zajac said, Hemiak has the plat so I doubt he'll want to use a game he's already finished.

I suggest Crypt of the NecroDancer. HAHAHAHA yeah right.  xD

I don't have many suggestions from the games I've played. Max Payne 3 would probably qualify and trying to beat NYMHC mode can definitely leave people with bloody fingers and broken controllers. The stakes are so high since you have to completely start over if you die and it's rather easy to die if you make a mistake or lose focus.

Maybe something like Mamorukun Curse! but that's another one that Hemiak has the plat for. There's already been an event for Catherine. That's the only games I've played that come to mind. Sure there are all kinds of difficult 100% games out there that are better fits for this type of event though. 

Edited by MStalker58

Good News: I started back on the game last night and got 3 AA ranks on Pro, 2 AA ranks on Tough, completed a couple of stages on X-treme, and finished a few more challenges. Was a little bit rusty at first but got my rhythm back after some practice.  :)

Bad News: I got my first taste of X-treme and that's some next level shit. I couldn't even get angry or frustrated enough to break any controllers. It was so beyond my skills that all I could do is laugh and quickly accept that 100% in this game isn't in my future. I know my limits, and getting AA on X-treme just isn't happening. I tip my hat to all of you that can do that. 

There's nothing difficult at all about Grid Autosport. It's just a ridiculously long, boring, and miserable grind with the online trophies. SotC would fit the criteria with a few of those time attacks but like zajac said, Hemiak has the plat so I doubt he'll want to use a game he's already finished.

I suggest Crypt of the NecroDancer. HAHAHAHA yeah right.  xD

I don't have many suggestions from the games I've played. Max Payne 3 would probably qualify and trying to beat NYMHC mode can definitely leave people with bloody fingers and broken controllers. The stakes are so high since you have to completely start over if you die and it's rather easy to die if you make a mistake or lose focus.

Maybe something like Mamorukun Curse! but that's another one that Hemiak has the plat for. There's already been an event for Catherine. That's the only games I've played that come to mind. Sure there are all kinds of difficult 100% games out there that are better fits for this type of event though. 

Max Payne 3 could be a good one. The only reason I've not bothered doing that yet is that I cba finding reliable people to boost the online. However we (people in the event) would all be able to boost it together. :D

Thanks for the grats. I played P4AU and didn't enjoy it in the slightest. There's no way Im going to play the even harder version of a game type I don't care for.

I think out of our very small group there are already 3 of us with the SotC Plat actually, lol. I know Z has it also and I'm pretty sure Stalker has it. Great game and well worth playing. Honestly it's nowhere near as tough as this, though it takes a bit longer.

I'll keep Giana Sisters in mind under you and Zs recommendation.

I was also thinking Sine Mora would be a pretty good fit. Was also considering doing something like R4O or Geo Wars 3. Maybe Max Payne 3, though I'd like to avoid mp if possible.

• Like 1

First off congrats to Hemiak and Saionji for completing Retro/Grade. Secondly I've had a hiatus of a little over a week from this game as I haven't felt well so didn't really have the energy and focus I need, I am going back to it sometime tonight though. Lastly I like the ideas of Sine Mora, R4O, or Quantum Conundrum as the next one. Another suggestion I have is Bit Trip Runner2  if we want to keep it to 100% games doods

First off congrats to Hemiak and Saionji for completing Retro/Grade. Secondly I've had a hiatus of a little over a week from this game as I haven't felt well so didn't really have the energy and focus I need, I am going back to it sometime tonight though. Lastly I like the ideas of Sine Mora, R4O, or Quantum Conundrum as the next one. Another suggestion I have is Bit Trip Runner2 if we want to keep it to 100% games doods

Hope you're feeling better man.

Runner 2 is so good as well. Both that and QC were excellent, challenging 100%ers.

Runner looks cool. But Hem only had a ps3 :( Eventually I'll upgrade and open up more options, but I'd like to keep it to something I can play myself.

Do far it looks like we have

Giana Sister TD

Sine Mora

Quantum Conundrum

Runner 2 (bit.Trip)

R4O

Max Payne 3

Edited by Hemiak

Hope you're feeling better man.

Runner looks cool. But Hem only had a ps3 :( Eventually I'll upgrade and open up more options, but I'd like to keep it to something I can play myself.

Do far it looks like we have

Giana Sister TD

Sine Mora

Quantum Conundrum

R4O

Max Payne 3

Runner 2 is on all 3 systems, the ps3 version was even free for plus a few years ago dood

Edited by Wdjat Prinny Doods

After much delay I will be finally starting this tomorrow (possibly tonight depending on if I find something else to entertain me while it downloads.) I'm excited to get some more UR trophies I don't think I've got any all month besides my prepared GH5 platinum.

• Like 1

Was thinking about starting this game myself. Do you guys recommend playing with a guitar or with a regular controller? I've got some pretty fast fingers thanks to Guitar Hero. :D

Try it out on casual or medium with the guitar. I tried it after I'd done one run with the controller and didn't like it as much. You have to run through 6 times so you won't lose anything by trying it that way.

One thing I noticed though is that the highest score in challenges using only guitar was like 1150 and their are multiple scores over 1300 with the controller. I'm sure there are about 50x the people using Controllers but it still kinda made me wonder.

One thing to note, when you see a beam coming at you, you have to hold the strum bar up or down until the end, It's not like a GH sustain note. You also don't have to hold the color buttons down while strumming.

Welcome to the party.

Edited by Hemiak

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is in the new weekly sale (NA) for $4.49. Any chance we will know before the sale ends if that'll be the game for the next installment of the event? I'll definitely go ahead and pick it up if that's the game you choose. Might still buy it either way. Anyone played it and have any thoughts on it?

As for Retro/Grade, sorry for my lack of progress the past few days. Been distracted with Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. The servers are closing within a month so I'm trying to finish up the online trophies before they close. 

How long is the sale? I was going to put up a poll about the game but if people want we can move forward with that game, looks interesting enough. Probably won't start for another 2 or 3 months though.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is in the new weekly sale (NA) for $4.49.

Been distracted with Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood.

I noticed you were playing that and figured that was the reason.

I actually did a trophyless night yesterday and started Dark Souls again. God I love that game.

Edited by Hemiak

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is in the new weekly sale (NA) for $4.49. Any chance we will know before the sale ends if that'll be the game for the next installment of the event? I'll definitely go ahead and pick it up if that's the game you choose. Might still buy it either way. Anyone played it and have any thoughts on it?

As for Retro/Grade, sorry for my lack of progress the past few days. Been distracted with Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. The servers are closing within a month so I'm trying to finish up the online trophies before they close. 

I've played it, it's good. :) PS4 plays much better than the ps3 version though, but you need to do the dlc on the ps4 for the 100%

I've been a bit busy finally playing (aka losing myself in) The Witcher 3, so I've made no real progress in Retro/Grade. I did finish a few more challenges, but not enough to grab a trophy, yet.

As for new suggestions, the ones you already have listed look ...great, in a terrible broken-controller way, so that's a good thing :P Maybe once they announce the PS+ games for September there'll be something 'worthy'? Otherwise I'll see if I'm able to splurge on that next installment game in a few months.

How long is the sale? I was going to put up a poll about the game but if people want we can move forward with that game, looks interesting enough. Probably won't start for another 2 or 3 months though.

I noticed you were playing that and figured that was the reason.

I actually did a trophyless night yesterday and started Dark Souls again. God I love that game.

The sale lasts a week, so next Tuesday. I was just curious how or when you were going to decide when I noticed that game was in the sale. Doesn't matter to me. Putting up a poll sounds like a good idea and the best way, so let's do that if you were planning to. 

bump for added poll.

Anyone can vote, whether you are a current or past participant, watcher, or you just stumbled in here.  Vote for one you'd like to try, one you already own, or maybe even one you already started. You could always vote whatever you think would be funniest to watch us try as well. Your choice.

Edited by Hemiak

I played for about 2.5 hours today, made some solid progress:

Beginner 3/10 AA

Casual 2/10 AA

Mediumcore 1/10 AA

Pro 1/10 AA

Challenges 10/130

I'm enjoying it so far and it isn't too tough. Bit of an eyesore and I split my sessions into 2 of about an hour and 15 minutes a piece to avoid straining. I agree with the consensus that the controller is easier than the guitar. I think the hardest part of the guitar is that, while we have been trained to use a controller in many ways over the years, there's really only been one way to use a guitar peripheral. This game is similar enough to GH/RB, but not the same (holding down strum bar, no need to hold frets) and that was a lot of work trying to "deprogram" from my memory. It has benefits, especially when trying to jump multiple rows at once, but overall the controller is a more sensible choice I think.

Having to full combo the game essentially 6 different times is super annoying. Always bad when games have unstackable difficulty trophies, though on the other hand I guess it helps improve the rarity of these a bit more so there is a silver lining.

• Like 2

I played for about 2.5 hours today, made some solid progress:

good stuff, I'll get it updated soon.

Took a look at some trophy guides. QC is listed at 6/10 and runner 2 at 5/10??? You guys are slipping.

Edited by Hemiak

I will second Max Payne 3 in the vote for next time. I would've suggested Evil Within but it's a bit cheesy for me to be doing that in two events at once (and I already own MP3 anyways.)

Also I knocked out a couple more AAs this morning in about 15 minutes of playing

Beginner is now 4/10

Casual is now 3/10

I've played it, it's good. :) PS4 plays much better than the ps3 version though, but you need to do the dlc on the ps4 for the 100%

Think I'm going to go ahead and buy it. Looks like something I would enjoy regardless if it's chosen to be the next game in the event or not. 

After a few days of working on Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, I finished the online trophies and finally was able to play a little more Retro/Grade last night. Finished 5-6 more challenges to get back into the rhythm. Really wish I would have taken your all's advice and chipped away at those challenges a few at a time when I first started. Some of those can get really boring.

10/10 AA beginner => medium

3/10 AA pro

2/10 AA tough

Challenges: 15-20 of 130

• Like 1