Bloody Fingers and Broken Controllers: Let's Play Retro/Grade (Poll Added)

Next Game For the Series  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these games should we play next? Anyone can vote.

• Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (on sale now)
    • Quantum Conundruim
    • Runner 2 (bit.trip)
    • Sine Mora
    • Other (tell us in the thread)
  2. 2. Should games with a platinum be eligible or should it stay 100% games?

• Plats are the shizz!!!
    • Keep it 100% games only.
    • *Insert Zorry shrug emote here*

I just started this game today and its fun, I like it. You actually fight the last boss right at the beginning and the game is completed lol :awesome: I m starting from begginer and working my way slowly through levels getting AA on them, since those AA ranks doesnt stack which is a pain.

• Like 1

Spent almost an hour trying to AA level 03 on X-treme. I've got the whole damn song wired, but I always seem to make one stupid error right at the end. I've seriously failed with less than 20 notes left about 5 times. It's not like it gets harder at that point, Im juat getting in my own head. I decided to move forward, finished 5-2 in casual with AA, then did 3 more of the pro levels.

Edited by Hemiak

Spent almost an hour trying to AA level 03 on X-treme. I've got the whole damn song wired, but I always seem to make one stupid error right at the end. I've seriously failed with less than 20 notes left about 5 times. It's not like it gets harder at that point, Im juat getting in my own head. I decided to move forward, finished 5-2 in casual with AA, then did 3 more of the pro levels.

When doing the AA's on Mediumcore last night I failed on literally the last note on 2 different songs lol. Admittedly it's not the same and I both times it was my first go on the level and I did it second time but it was still annoying. :P

Also I've definitely done the same on X-treme haha.

Spent almost an hour trying to AA level 03 on X-treme. I've got the whole damn song wired, but I always seem to make one stupid error right at the end. I've seriously failed with less than 20 notes left about 5 times. It's not like it gets harder at that point, Im juat getting in my own head. 

When doing the AA's on Mediumcore last night I failed on literally the last note on 2 different songs lol. Admittedly it's not the same and I both times it was my first go on the level and I did it second time but it was still annoying. :P

I wouldn't know what that feels like since I usually mess up AA rank about 4-5 notes into the beginning of the stage. Making it anywhere close to the end would be an accomplishment for me.  :facepalm:

I've decided not to worry about AA ranks right now. Went ahead and picked up a couple of trophies for beating the game on Beginner and Casual difficulties. Going to try Mediumcore this evening and might try for some more AA's on Beginner.

Progress:

Difficulty Finished Beginner (AA: 2/10)

Difficulty Finished: Casual (AA: 0/10)

Trophies: 2/21 (9%)

Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 2

I have a question about Astro Admiral ranks. I thought you had to get perfect timing on every single note? I just finished Level 10 on Mediumcore while only having Good or Okay timing on 3 notes but it still gave me 100% and the AA ranking. 

Do you not have to get perfect timing or am I just missing something on how this is calculated?

I have a question about Astro Admiral ranks. I thought you had to get perfect timing on every single note? I just finished Level 10 on Mediumcore while only having Good or Okay timing on 3 notes but it still gave me 100% and the AA ranking. 

Do you not have to get perfect timing or am I just missing something on how this is calculated?

You just have to get 100% of the notes while also not taking damage without using rewind for AA, don't have to get perfect timing on each note or I wouldn't have any AA ranks so far dood

Edited by Wdjat Prinny Doods
  • Like 1

Whatever timing you get is okay for the Astro Admiral ranks. This trophy would be a lot rarer if Perfect timing was also required. xD

EDIT: I see I was too late. :ninja:

Edited by Taiga Aisaka
  • Like 1

For an AA rank you just need to hit 100% of everything, not get hit and not use your retro fuel to rewind time if you make a mistake. If you use retro fuel and get everything then you'll get the continuum captain rank which is for the other rank based trophy though both stack so don't bother with the retro fuel. :P Timing isn't relevant in the AA rank, you could have the worst timing consistently and get half score for each note and still get it.

On another note has anyone finished levels expecting to get AA rank but then realise they have 1+ incorrect fire? I know it's to do with 'failing' the wormholes but I can see any indication when I've failed it as the combo will continue but I'll be given an incorrect fire at the end. I fear this will happen a lot when going for AA on level 4 lol.

LMAO, ninja'd by 3 people. #scruboverhere

Edited by zajac9999
  • Like 3

For an AA rank you just need to hit 100% of everything, not get hit and not use your retro fuel to rewind time if you make a mistake. If you use retro fuel and get everything then you'll get the continuum captain rank which is for the other rank based trophy though both stack so don't bother with the retro fuel. :P Timing isn't relevant in the AA rank, you could have the worst timing consistently and get half score for each note and still get it.

On another note has anyone finished levels expecting to get AA rank but then realise they have 1+ incorrect fire? I know it's to do with 'failing' the wormholes but I can see any indication when I've failed it as the combo will continue but I'll be given an incorrect fire at the end. I fear this will happen a lot when going for AA on level 4 lol.

LMAO, ninja'd by 3 people. #scruboverhere

Go bud, here on the cheering team, as the first disciple I can definitely say that you indeed have those skills, so go #teamzajacforthewin.

• Like 1

That explains a lot. I was wondering how in the hell you all were just breezing through these easier difficulties and getting AA ranks. Thought everyone was getting perfect timing and I was just horrible at this game. When I had been trying for AA, I kept restarting each time I didn't get a perfect score on a note.  :(

This game has now been upgraded from "no chance in hell that I'll ever 100%" to maybe I'll get the majority of trophies and have a 0.0001% chance of getting them all. After learning this, I went back and replayed a couple of levels on Beginner and got the AA rank. Much easier now that I know what to concentrate on. Thanks for the quick replies.  :)

I still need to beat that scrub zajac. Came within a couple thousand of his score on a stage. I did manage to beat a certain Prinny though.  :P

Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 1

The incorrect fire is when you shoot when there isn't a note for you. So maybe you were early or late on a stream or missiles or something that's harder to notice. The blackholes count as enemy fire undone, so that wasn't the problem. And yeah level 4 is easily the worst in the game.

I haven't had an incorrect fire, but I finished a level last tonight thinking I'd aced it, but apparently I'd clipped one bullet and hadn't noticed. :shakefist:

Now finished all but level 04 and 01 on Pro. The X-treme practice is really paying off apparently.

If it isn't apparent I have decided to shoot for a good time. To be fair, as long as people finish the game under like 3 months, you'll still be on the fastest list.

I'll also admit that my kids have been trying the game on beginner, and Im secretly hope my daughter can manage to AA one or more of those levels so I don't have to bother with it. :D

The incorrect fire is when you shoot when there isn't a note for you. So maybe you were early or late on a stream or missiles or something that's harder to notice. The blackholes count as enemy fire undone, so that wasn't the problem. And yeah level 4 is easily the worst in the game.

It's not that, I'm 99.9% sure it's to do with the black holes. I was confused by it a while ago so had a bit of a look when playing at different things. Also if I had an actual incorrect fire I'd lose my x20 and that would be really obvious which is why I'm sure it isn't that. It's also not shooting at the start or end of the level as I was aware of the incorrect fire in the runs after and made sure I definitely didn't randomly fire but still got an incorrect fire.  

Whatever timing you get is okay for the Astro Admiral ranks. This trophy would be a lot rarer if Perfect timing was also required. xD

EDIT: I see I was too late. :ninja:

Thanks for info, I thought you need at least a Great timing on most to get AA rank but I see most important is to just undo 100% enemy fire and player fire undone.

Got Astro Admiral rank on all levels in Beginner difficulty. More importantly, I finally beat that scrub zajac's score on a level! Believe it was Level 04 (the annoying one) on Beginner. Sure, he's got a better score on every other level, but I'm going to ignore that and say I beat him.  :D

x9zachattack5x must be using that score multiplier because my scores aren't even close to his. 

Progress:

Difficulty Finished Beginner (AA: 10/10)

Difficulty Finished: Casual (AA: 0/10)

Mediumcore (AA: 1/10)

Trophies: 4/21 (19%)

• Like 2

I've done 96 challenges now I think. Might get the other 34 finished off tomorrow, we;ll see how difficult they are I guess.

One of the next challenges I have to do seems to be a level on tough difficulty where you have to get perfect timing on all beats.

I have done now about 120 challenges. Now I am finally there were it is challinging fun :evil:

AA on all casual lvls, 5 on Medium and 3 on Pro ^^

Have you used the wormhole near the end of the map yet? If you haven't, wait until you get to the very last challenge in there, it is the most challenging one in the entire map, but it is really fun as well. :P

After a little hiatus from this game thanks to Zero Time Dilemma I got back to it today getting AA ranks on 5/10 levels on Mediumcore. Haven't beaten Hemiak or zajac's scores up to this point but they are hackers so it isn't like their score count anyways doods :P

Hemiak is definitely hacking. Or his kids are pros at Retro/Grade and are playing for him. Either way, he's not putting up those ridiculous scores legit or by himself.  :P

I'm not so sure about zajac though. I mean, who goes through all the trouble of hacking just to put up scrub scores like that?  :lol:

I've done 96 challenges now I think. Might get the other 34 finished off tomorrow, we;ll see how difficult they are I guess.

One of the next challenges I have to do seems to be a level on tough difficulty where you have to get perfect timing on all beats.

Good to hear that my practice for perfect timing might not be a total waste. I imagine doing it on Tough difficulty could be pretty challenging though. Congrats on doing that many challenges. 

• Like 2

Started challenge mode and did a few challenges, geeeeeeez I see what zajac means these are pretty boring so far. Some of these don't even sound like challenges I mean disco lighting and unlimited retro/fuel what doods!? e

Yeah, Ive done the first 15 or so and.... Zzzzzzzz

Ugh, you guys suck. I want to do this game but I just got off the major grind that is Warhawk. I bought this game for $1 ages ago, so it is just sitting on my HDD. Reading about your adventure is making me want to boot it up.

The last thing this game is, is a grind man. Feel free to jump in whenever if you want.

Got Astro Admiral rank on all levels in Casual difficulty. My thumb hurts, those neon lights are starting to blur together, and I'm seeing the patterns when I close my eyes. Time to stop for the night. 

@Hemiak: We came in an exact tie on one course at 342k. Think zajac was right behind us at 342.9k. It was Level 04 on Casual. That level seems to be the only one that I can even come close to your scores or beat zajac. 

Progress:

Difficulty Finished Beginner (AA: 10/10)

Difficulty Finished: Casual (AA: 10/10)

Mediumcore (AA: 1/10)

Trophies: 6/21 (28%)

• Like 2