PlayStation 4 Pro Announced

Parker

The Pro isn't that much more powerful than a PS4, so I'm not sure how many games are going to have much improved frame rates. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.

The problem is that a lot of people seem to think that all their games are going to magically run at 60 fps all of a sudden, which is not how this works. Companies are gonna have to put in extra work and money to add that functionality to their game. At the same time they can't make use of the new power to make the game better on Pro, because it still has to run on the PS4 Amateur as well. This whole new upgrade strategy complicates things for developers and it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.

Just 1 question: There will too new gaming cases for ps4 pro ? or the game we have for ps4 normal can run on ps4 pro and is always the same when we going to buy the game on shop ??

Like Sony said, "this is all one big community". All games will be compatible with normal PS4s and PS4 Pro. I don't think they would ever make games exclusive to PS4 Pro.

Like Sony said, "this is all one big community". All games will be compatible with normal PS4s and PS4 Pro. I don't think they would ever make games exclusive to PS4 Pro.

Ye , i know, but my question is if the case we now, like this - will continue like this, or we will got different cases, like "PS4 PRO" and "PS4" on retailers (sorry for not very good english) (image taken in internet)

knackboxartunboxing.png

Edited by Natsuu24

Ye , i know, but my question is if the case we now, like this - will continue like this, or we will got different cases, like "PS4 PRO" and "PS4" on retailers (sorry for not very good english) (image taken in internet)

knackboxartunboxing.png

Remember the "Move Compatible" blue title on PS3 boxarts? My guess is they will do something similar.

Completely depends on your gaming choices.

I'm pretty sure I would be able to fit 100 or close to 100 games (not that PS4 has that many) on 1TB because I don't play AAA games.

If you, however, prefer AAA/big budget titles, their upgrades will obliterate your free space as updates are in 10s of GBs.

Additionally, if you buy them digital, you can actually go easily over 60-70GB for one game.

If you prefer physical versions, which you probably do considering 150GB PS3 HDD, you should be able to be on 40-50 games easily.

Ok thx . I do prefer physical copies over digital. I also know discs, it needs to install anyways but it won't be as much as digital only installation. Also yes I mainly play triple A titles. So if each game is about 50gb let's say, I can probably fit in about 15 or 16 games since the OS itself is a whopping 100+ GB. Sounds like I can fit in as much as my ps3. Thx and appreciate your reply :) Edited by poopooblast

Physical would be the same. You still need to install physical games to the hard drive.

But isn't the size smaller in case of physicals?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant a Neptunia themed console. They did it with the original PS4. (also when I bought mine)

The game it releases with will have to work on every PS4 related hardware, regardless of the performance on any of them.

Ah, I see. That could be good =D

They need to show more on how much better 1080p performance will be for me to be interested. All the 4K HDR stuff is great but one issue that Sony didn't/can't address themselves is that there is currently significant input lag on 4K TVs with HDR enabled [3/4x greater] so current 4K TVs are not really up to the task. Thus far HDR has been targeted at films only and the format has not been totally locked down. I have no idea if TV companies can push firmware updates to enable HDR with low input lag [ie game mode] or if we have to wait for new TVs to be released as HDR gaming gets established. I would definitely hold fire on a new 4K TV until these issues become clearer.

• Like 1

We've been holding off on getting a PS4 with my husband since we knew there'd be a more powerful version of the console. We watched the announcement live stream and the hardware upgrade seemed like a good deal for the price. We decided we'll get a PS4 Pro pretty soon after launch, but we want to hear if there are any technical issues with the first batches of hardware before making a purchase.

I already have Senran Kagura: Estival Versus for PS4 and have a pre-order in for Persona 5 Take Your Heart edition so we're already pretty committed to getting the console, hehe.

• Like 1

So no 4k Blu Rays apparently? Shame.

They're probably thinking "who buys movies anymore?" 

Personally, if it allows them to hit this price, I can live without 4k Blu Ray. 1, I don't have a 4k TV anyway, and 2, I haven't bought a movie in years, not since getting Netflix. 

It looks bad on paper, and allows Microsoft to have a little dig at them for not having the drive, but maybe Sony has looked at the numbers of people who play movies on discs vrs Netflix/Amazon/whatever and decided that their market can live without it, and it's better to get the price down instead?

• Like 1

The problem is that a lot of people seem to think that all their games are going to magically run at 60 fps all of a sudden, which is not how this works. Companies are gonna have to put in extra work and money to add that functionality to their game. At the same time they can't make use of the new power to make the game better on Pro, because it still has to run on the PS4 Amateur as well. This whole new upgrade strategy complicates things for developers and it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.

Yup, and instead of developing one highly optimised version, they now have to make two versions of their game, which most likely means the quality will suffer. Sony can't expect developers to spend time and money making each version of the game the best it can possibly be, so something has got to give. Consoles main advantage over PC is that it's a fixed platform. There are 40 million PS4's out there in people's hands, and each one has the same components, making development much easier. The existence of the Pro means that's no longer the case, and I think we'll see why this isn't a good idea soon enough.

• Like 1

Personally, if it allows them to hit this price, I can live without 4k Blu Ray. 1, I don't have a 4k TV anyway, and 2, I haven't bought a movie in years, not since getting Netflix. 

It looks bad on paper, and allows Microsoft to have a little dig at them for not having the drive, but maybe Sony has looked at the numbers of people who play movies on discs vrs Netflix/Amazon/whatever and decided that their market can live without it, and it's better to get the price down instead?

I do, I like having the extra's and not having to depend on the fickle Netflix library :(

I think I watch movies about as often on Netflix as I do on blu-ray. But then again I'm old.

• Like 1

People who don't have amazing internet?  :P 4K streaming is out of the question for a lot of people. I just find it odd how Sony of all companies decides to not include the ability to watch UHD Blu-rays. This is the same company that based the PS2 and PS3 around being affordable DVD and Blu-ray players, not to mention Sony have a direct stake in UHD Blu-rays too. I mean even Microsoft included it, and they were still using DVD's last gen! The Pro is aimed at people with 4K TV's first and foremost, so I find it very strange why this wasn't included.

• Like 3

I do, I like having the extra's and not having to depend on the fickle Netflix library :(

I think I watch movies about as often on Netflix as I do on blu-ray. But then again I'm old.

People who don't have amazing internet?  :P 4K streaming is out of the question for a lot of people. I just find it odd how Sony of all companies decides to not include the ability to watch UHD Blu-rays. This is the same company that based the PS2 and PS3 around being affordable DVD and Blu-ray players, not to mention Sony have a direct stake in UHD Blu-rays too. I mean even Microsoft included it, and they were still using DVD's last gen! The Pro is aimed at people with 4K TV's first and foremost, so I find it very strange why this wasn't included.

My point was that Sony will have the stats on that from user data. They will know, to a man (as long as their PS4 is online) how many of their customers stream content vrs watch DVDs or BluRays.

They'll then have done some fancy market analysis and decided that being able to price it at $399/£350 by excluding the disc drive will sell more PS4 Pros than if they put it in and had to charge whatever they then would have had to charge.

Everything you've written above makes absolute sense if Sony had not lead the charge of the blu ray format back in 2006.

Sony lead the charge 10 years ago pledging full blu-ray support in the "blu-ray vs HD " war in which they won. They pretty much branded themselves as total blu-ray support, essentially they are Team Blu ray. To not have a 4k blu ray player on your latest system for your dedicated format when the competition's slim model has it is ridiculous. Maybe people are letting it slide because we're talking movies and not games, but Microsoft was lambasted at the thought of trying to eliminate physical media back in 2013.

Why they felt they had to get something out there right now is beyond me. I was honestly expecting the Pro to be released next year so that it could go head to head against the Scorpio.

Yeah Im old too and I still  buy movies. I watch a ton of Netflix when my show is back on but you don't "keep" any of the movies and the shows that I really like I own on blu ray.

I would much rather them wait until next year to release the pro so that it can be competitive against the Scorpio because as of now with regards to the ".5" console version if everything about the Scorpio is true then all Microsoft has to do is deliver.

Yeah Im old too and I still  buy movies. I watch a ton of Netflix when my show is back on but you don't "keep" any of the movies and the shows that I really like I own on blu ray.

I would much rather them wait until next year to release the pro so that it can be competitive against the Scorpio because as of now with regards to the ".5" console version if everything about the Scorpio is true then all Microsoft has to do is deliver.

I don't own that many shows on disc - Firefly on blu-ray and both Monty Python's Flying Circus and Police Squad! on DVD (not counting a few nature documentary shows). I have a bigger collection in movies because I tend to rewatch those (or put them on when I have people over) more often than series.

Just missing some lettuce.

Looks delicious, like a Big Mac.

For you and all others posting stuff on the looks:

I remember the days when people complained about the revealed GameCube looks. Someone said back then "I could not care less even if it looked like an actual purple turd, as long as it plays awesome games I'm in". I still feel that way about consoles. F*ck looks, give me cool games and I'm in. I never thought any console looked amazing, except for maybe the SNES but I was a kid back then and it was all new and wonderful.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2016 at 1:08 PM, BillyHorrible said:

For you and all others posting stuff on the looks:

I remember the days when people complained about the revealed GameCube looks. Someone said back then "I could not care less even if it looked like an actual purple turd, as long as it plays awesome games I'm in". I still feel that way about consoles. F*ck looks, give me cool games and I'm in. I never thought any console looked amazing, except for maybe the SNES but I was a kid back then and it was all new and wonderful.

No problem, Understood.

Edited by Shaowsintzu