Is it worth it?

I liked it back on the 360 and wouldn't mind starting it again seeing as it's on sale and supposedly runs better, but I hear there are a lot of performance issues and freezing and the like. Can I get an overall consensus on this? Is it truly the "Definitive" Edition or is it like Sleeping Dogs where it's an overall worse experience than the original? 

I liked it back on the 360 and wouldn't mind starting it again seeing as it's on sale and supposedly runs better, but I hear there are a lot of performance issues and freezing and the like. Can I get an overall consensus on this? Is it truly the "Definitive" Edition or is it like Sleeping Dogs where it's an overall worse experience than the original? 

I got the plat for it on PS3 and double dipped and got the DE for like $7 awhile back. Haven't started it yet though. It is like #4 for my next games to plat or 100%. If you can get it for a cheap price I would say go for it.

There is quite the graphics upgrade in videos I have seen and all around the game is pretty fun anyways. As far as performance goes it is a full 1080P display, the framerate is unlocked and the average framerate is nearly 60fps so it is a pretty smooth experience with the lowest dip going down 32fps.

Here is a link that goes more indepth with the performance of the game but I think this port came out a lot better than Sleeping Dogs DE. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis.

I really loved the game it's one of my favourite games of the last few years, I played it on ps4 recently and had no freezes or crashes on my playthrough. The MP trophies were pretty easily boosted (but could have been gotten in regular play) the only annoying one was winning every MP mode since some modes are pretty barren player wise. It's on sale on PSN EU at the moment for less than a fiver and for that if say 100% go for it, if you like you will be able to look forward to the new game coming out in October too :)

As a person who has Platinumed this 8 times on different accounts, I can 100% confirm that there are no issues at all in this edition. It's an amazing experience and I highly recommend it. Worst comes to worse, feel free to add me and I can help you with anything. I consider myself a pro so if you need any help I'm here for you. I've been through this Platinum ride so many times and I can't remember one time where the game screwed me over.

My save got currupted when i played about this time last year due to a bug when loading one of the areas. Not sure if its fixed (probably not) but its happened to many people. Same treatment with sleeping dogs its basically just a port they rushed out so I'd be careful.

Which area was that?

Just so I know so I can make a back-up save just in case. 

My save got currupted when i played about this time last year due to a bug when loading one of the areas. Not sure if its fixed (probably not) but its happened to many people. Same treatment with sleeping dogs its basically just a port they rushed out so I'd be careful.

Isn't that bug also present in the PS3 version? So it doesn't make the definitive edition any worse.

The differences are minor, but I would definitely say the PS4 version is the better game. TressFX, inclusion of the DLC tomb (which is by far the best tomb in the game, but it's still disappointingly easy), MP seemed to be more active than the PS3 version, better frame-rate...

If you enjoyed it before I don't see a reason not to double-dip if you are able to afford to do so. 

I've gone for it. I've managed to get all of the online trophies except the ones for reaching level 60 and purchasing every upgrade and character within about 3 days, and legit. From playing on sale day one, to playing now, you can see the community, for the month at least, has picked up a lot. Finding lobbies with players around the ranks of 1-30 are becoming norm. The only issue you will have is the ranked playlists, no one is ever in one. I obtained this by playing casual matches, then when returned to the lobby, backing out, creating a ranked playlist lobby and inviting the whole of my previous lobby in and hoping people join, then repeat if no one joins or for new game modes. Gameplay wise, I don't remember it being so broken. Probably 50% of your matches won't load or will count as a disconnect at the end of finished games. Started the campaign, got about 30 minutes in, went back online, game had an error, reloaded and my save file corrupted which resulted in my online progress and campaign being put back to as if I had never played the game before. Never experienced this on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Eh, the PS3 version corrupted my save when I went for a tomb. Never had a problem with the PS4 version. I just need to get to level 60 and buy those unlockables. If you liked the single player campaign, then it's worth it (also for nostalgia since Rise is coming in one month), but the online is dead. So glad I got PSNP's help with boosting partners for the various multiplayer trophies.

• 3 months later...

Totally worth it you probably will end up doing two playthroughs if you miss Chatterbox and Former Adventurer trophies as they require a guide to follow although its fairly straight forward, the MP trophies are not even that bad just grindy as hell, prepare yourself for three days of boredom if you self-boost the level 60 in private matches of rescue.

PSN Profiles shows it as a Very Rate 6.86% something trophy but on PlayStation Network overall its a 0.5% Ultra Rare so totally worth it as not everyone on PSN is registered on PSN Profiles. 

Edited by DarkSoleride
  • Like 1