Reducing Boosting Threads Idea

KiraxKira

I know there's always a bit of time spent having to remind people that we don't allow threads for boosting trophies and direct them to the gaming sessions. Is there any way that titles that contain "Boosting", "Partner", or other key words are typically used get a pop-up warning when you try to post?

For example, the app YikYak has this implemented so any time you use threatening language, it has a message pop up saying, "You've said ____. Please know that authorities can trace these messages" etc then you click accept to continue to make the post. I think if we could implement a similar kind of message alert such as "It seems you might be trying to boost a trophy. Please go to gaming sessions for this," with a direct link it might help reduce the number of threads that have to get reported and tended to.

I'm not sure how difficult this would be to do coding-wise, but I thought I'd offer the idea.

• Like 1

I know there's always a bit of time spent having to remind people that we don't allow threads for boosting trophies and direct them to the gaming sessions. Is there any way that titles that contain "Boosting", "Partner", or other key words are typically used get a pop-up warning when you try to post?

For example, the app YikYak has this implemented so any time you use threatening language, it has a message pop up saying, "You've said ____. Please know that authorities can trace these messages" etc then you click accept to continue to make the post. I think if we could implement a similar kind of message alert such as "It seems you might be trying to boost a trophy. Please go to gaming sessions for this," with a direct link it might help reduce the number of threads that have to get reported and tended to.

I'm not sure how difficult this would be to do coding-wise, but I thought I'd offer the idea.

Every idea to reduce boosting threads will get shut down. Members here are fine with them and are okay with mods doing manual labor shutting them down manually like a gopher game. 

For what it's worth, I like your idea, just don't want you to get your hopes up.

Yeah I've recommended something like this before in a previous thread. It's a great idea but basically I don't think the forum software (IP Board) allows this sort of thing at the moment, so it's not able to be done =/

How good this would become would depend on whether you could stop thread creation with this.

If not, people will just dismiss it as a pointless warning.

OP, as well as most of the related suggestions, are looking to reduce boosting threads. Looks pretty common for a person to make a single post about boosting, then move on and not check the site for a week or more. It's unlikely they even see the response and locked thread until much, much later. If we could direct them to the Gaming Sessions while they are making the boosting thread, there's a chance they'll sign up and become another booster to help out.

If even a percentage of boosting thread creators could be converted to instant sign-up boosters, everyone would win. Less threads for mods to lock, less locked threads people click on, more boosters for games on PSNP.

If the limitation is the forum software then by all means, we'll live with this itchy annoyance, but it sure would be good to minimize it as much as possible.

• Like 1

OP, as well as most of the related suggestions, are looking to reduce boosting threads. Looks pretty common for a person to make a single post about boosting, then move on and not check the site for a week or more. It's unlikely they even see the response and locked thread until much, much later. If we could direct them to the Gaming Sessions while they are making the boosting thread, there's a chance they'll sign up and become another booster to help out.

If even a percentage of boosting thread creators could be converted to instant sign-up boosters, everyone would win. Less threads for mods to lock, less locked threads people click on, more boosters for games on PSNP.

If the limitation is the forum software then by all means, we'll live with this itchy annoyance, but it sure would be good to minimize it as much as possible.

Well said, Daiv.

I also think it would help to catch the newer users to the site that maybe in their excitement (let's give benefit of the doubt) overlooked the rules. I think people would be more likely to think twice about making the thread or at least take a look at gaming sessions if they hadn't before.

Well said, Daiv.

I also think it would help to catch the newer users to the site that maybe in their excitement (let's give benefit of the doubt) overlooked the rules. I think people would be more likely to think twice about making the thread or at least take a look at gaming sessions if they hadn't before.

Creating boosting threads is most certainly, make that definitely not in the forum rules. I suggested it be added once, but make it a warning-pointless rule, and was almost burned at the stake by this community. A new member is completely in the right to come to the site, read the rules and think it's completely okay to create boosting threads, then BAM. Denied! NOT TODAY!!! It's not documented officially anywhere on this site for new people to find easily. Your suggestion and suggestions like it would help with that.

• Like 1

Creating boosting threads is most certainly, make that definitely not in the forum rules. I suggested it be added once, but make it a warning-pointless rule, and was almost burned at the stake by this community. A new member is completely in the right to come to the site, read the rules and think it's completely okay to create boosting threads, then BAM. Denied! NOT TODAY!!! It's not documented officially anywhere on this site for new people to find easily. Your suggestion and suggestions like it would help with that.

Really? Wow, I never saw the rule myself but as people always made such a fuss and threads would get locked, I just assumed that I had overlooked the rule somewhere in the numerous pages.

I guess why lock threads if they haven't actually made a rule for it and don't seem to want one? Not that I'm fighting it, but it doesn't make sense to me. Especially when sometimes the boosting threads have some merit of discussion in them so they're not just "Hey someone play this with me later, thx". But what do I know?

Exactly this, I get lots of PMs from new members asking what I posted when quoting their posts, because the thread was deleted.

I suggested it too once, but wasn't burned at a stake. I believe it was mostly ignored :hmm:.

What if you cant create threads without first having 15? 20? 50 posts? Most that create these boosting threads seem to be new users with less than a handful of posts.

What if you cant create threads without first having 15? 20? 50 posts? Most that create these boosting threads seem to be new users with less than a handful of posts.

This has been suggested before too, but hasn't been implemented. Most likely new members would just ask why they can't create threads in a random existing thread.

I still think we should go back to how it was before the rules randomly changed out of nowhere - 1 boosting thread per game. People usually seem to find the right sub-forum to post in, so they'll see the sticky boosting thread and post there.

Gaming sessions and boosting threads both have their pros and cons, I see no reason why they shouldn't co-exist.

I still think we should go back to how it was before the rules randomly changed out of nowhere - 1 boosting thread per game. People usually seem to find the right sub-forum to post in, so they'll see the sticky boosting thread and post there.

Gaming sessions and boosting threads both have their pros and cons, I see no reason why they shouldn't co-exist.

I think this is very reasonable. There are many times when I'm not looking to boost a trophy myself anymore, but wouldn't be opposed to someone contacting me asking for help. I think this is where having 1 database thread so to speak would be handy. Gaming sessions are great for when you're wanting to play and have a set time in mind, but I think 1 reserve thread could do well too.

Yeah, I was always under the impression that it was acceptable to have one per game especially for games with lots of owners.

Which brings up the question why we don't just pin an "official" boosting thread for every game. Sure, mods would need to be on their toes to pin the first one made, but it could seriously cut down on these threads.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Yeah, I was always under the impression that it was acceptable to have one per game especially for games with lots of owners.

Which brings up the question why we don't just pin an "official" boosting thread for every game. Sure, mods would need to be on their toes to pin the first one made, but it could seriously cut down on these threads.

I agree with this too and it has been suggested before, but for some reason official boosting threads aren't allowed anymore.

I think this is very reasonable. There are many times when I'm not looking to boost a trophy myself anymore, but wouldn't be opposed to someone contacting me asking for help. I think this is where having 1 database thread so to speak would be handy. Gaming sessions are great for when you're wanting to play and have a set time in mind, but I think 1 reserve thread could do well too.

I agree with this too and it has been suggested before, but for some reason official boosting threads aren't allowed anymore.

This is the official word on why "Official Boosting Threads" are no longer allowed:

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/28049-boosting-threads-are-they-or-arent-they-allowed/

• Like 1

This is the official word on why "Official Boosting Threads" are no longer allowed:

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/28049-boosting-threads-are-they-or-arent-they-allowed/

Ok thanks for the link, time to unveil the truth.

Edit:

Well, that was a short read. I was expecting a much more detailed explanation :|.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

Ok thanks for the link, time to unveil the truth.

Edit:

Well, that was a short read. I was expecting a much more detailed explanation :|.

Exactly. And the question becomes Why can't the site do more to get new and old members that message? It's forever buried in a locked thread. It's a rule, but not in rules cause it's not a rule, and it's not explained anywhere easy to find.

Meh. Maybe the mods secretly enjoy locking those threads and keep secret tallies they compare with each other. It's a game we will never really be in on.

• Like 2

Most of these people who do a forum post about needing to boost usually use the forum that is associated with the game they want to boost. Couldn't there be a way to put a message within the game's forum that says "If you're looking to boost trophies for this game, use the gaming sessions feature. We do not allow individual boosting threads on this site." 

The below image shows a suitable place where the text could go, however I don't know if it's possible to add text in the area where I added it in the picture. I used paint to make this but I think if you use the same font as the game title and make the text red, it is likely to get people's attention. You need to look at that page to even create a thread for the specific game, I just used Uncharted 2 as an example. But add a link to the gaming sessions page on the use of the words "gaming sessions". Like so: gaming sessions.

HHpAWp2.png

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1

Most of these people who do a forum post about needing to boost usually use the forum that is associated with the game they want to boost. Couldn't there be a way to put a message within the game's forum that says "If you're looking to boost trophies for this game, use the gaming sessions feature. We do not allow individual boosting threads on this site." 

The below image shows a suitable place where the text could go, however I don't know if it's possible to add text in the area where I added it in the picture. I used paint to make this but I think if you use the same font as the game title and make the text red, it is likely to get people's attention. You need to look at that page to even create a thread for the specific game, I just used Uncharted 2 as an example. But add a link to the gaming sessions page on the use of the words "gaming sessions". Like so: gaming sessions.

HHpAWp2.png

That's a great idea, too bad there are also lots of people who don't even bother looking for the game's subforum. Some also know about the gaming sessions, but don't care and create a boosting thread anyway as that's faster for them :|.

HHpAWp2.png

I think something like this was already suggested.

And frankly, even if one were to read it, if one is not limited, they would hardly abide by it.