PS Vita left stick is acting weird. Easy way to fix?

Mad

My 2nd gen Vita's left stick keeps registering an up motion on screen, no matter if I'm on the main screen or in game and it's really annoying as you can imagine. Is there a way to repair it DIY for cheap?

My 2nd gen Vita's left stick keeps registering an up motion on screen, no matter if I'm on the main screen or in game and it's really annoying as you can imagine. Is there a way to repair it DIY for cheap?

Mine went bad awhile back. If you are tech savvy you can buy the parts and fix I t or take it to a repair shop. But if yours is still under warranty I would send it in.

Mine went bad awhile back. If you are tech savvy you can buy the parts and fix I t or take it to a repair shop. But if yours is still under warranty I would send it in.

It's been 2 years since I bought my Vita so no. I might take it to a repair shop but Idk what it would cost to get it fixed. If it's above $100 then I'm just gonna sell it and buy a new one lol.

The Left stick go for around 8$? You could try to replace it, cant be that hard...

Buy an OLED Vita? ;)

I'm treating my OLED Vita like a baby atm. Really need that screen protector to come in soon, so I can feel at ease touching the screen. How can people stand touching the pretty screen?? I wish I got no fingerprints.

I'm treating my OLED Vita like a baby atm. Really need that screen protector to come in soon, so I can feel at ease touching the screen. How can people stand touching the pretty screen?? I wish I got no fingerprints.

Hehe, I do the same. The original Vita is such a well made machine. The day mine breaks will be a very sad day, especially when I won't be able to find a replacement OLED. I'm almost tempted to buy a replacement OLED Vita now just for a bit of insurance.

• Like 1

You can first try calibrating the sticks to see if it fixes the problem.

1) Power off.

2) Rotate sticks clockwise slowly full 360 degrees about 20 times.

3) Repeat rotating counter clockwise.

4) Switch power on and don't touch the sticks while system boots.

5) Start a game where issue clearly occurred earlier (again don't touch the sticks while game loads) and test if the calibration helped.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

DId you find a fix? Mine has been acting up too.  'calibrating' it hasn't proved effective.  I am out of warranty and country, so my I don't have many options...

• 2 weeks later...

Same with my right stick. I bought it like 2 years ago, but haven't used it much. It's pretty much unusable now. If I'm lucky it'll twirl the screen in circles, if I'm unlucky it doesn't work at all. I'd like to get a new one down the road, but it's very off putting for the money involved. There's so many games I want to play. :(

• 2 years later...

This has happened to me a few days ago, I have 2 Vitas the old model and the new one, and of course it's the new one.

Old Vita, the rubber has worn off both analog sticks and it still runs fine, but it now has a poor battery. The new Vita, already the left stick is failing, and the colors seem kinda washed out when I put both Vita next to each other. The old Vita design is much bette and reading the posts here, seems to be much more reliable as well.

• 1 year later...
On 22/10/2016 at 9:25 AM, Eyjabria said:

You can first try calibrating the sticks to see if it fixes the problem.

1) Power off.

2) Rotate sticks clockwise slowly full 360 degrees about 20 times.

3) Repeat rotating counter clockwise.

4) Switch power on and don't touch the sticks while system boots.

5) Start a game where issue clearly occurred earlier (again don't touch the sticks while game loads) and test if the calibration helped.

Lol this made it worse. Game was spinning when it loaded ?

• Like 1

On 26/04/2021 at 6:50 PM, Lianco said:

Lol this made it worse. Game was spinning when it loaded 1f602.png

Sorry to hear calibrating the sticks didn't work for you. Sounds like repairs are needed in your case. :| 

For me calibrating helped temporarily and I was able to finish a game I was playing - but eventually the drift occurred again.

On 01/05/2021 at 7:52 AM, Eyjabria said:

Sorry to hear calibrating the sticks didn't work for you. Sounds like repairs are needed in your case. :| 

For me calibrating helped temporarily and I was able to finish a game I was playing - but eventually the drift occurred again.

It's ok fren. I can get it to work now if I just wiggle it a bit. Moving to the right just seems to be an issue. It's like it needs to warm up a bit first. I was thinking about repairs but I wonder how it would even be fixed. Like, give it to a shop and they take it apart or what haha. Void warranty moment.

What's the thinking behind the recalibration? Like, you spin it and it just rejigs itself to go back to normal? 

55 minutes ago, Lianco said:

It's ok fren. I can get it to work now if I just wiggle it a bit. Moving to the right just seems to be an issue. It's like it needs to warm up a bit first. I was thinking about repairs but I wonder how it would even be fixed. Like, give it to a shop and they take it apart or what haha. Void warranty moment.

What's the thinking behind the recalibration? Like, you spin it and it just rejigs itself to go back to normal? 

Yeah, the console most likely needs to be opened and the faulty sticks replaced or cleaned. The parts in the stick can wear out and form debris onto the parts that read input. If your console is still under warranty, try sending it to Sony for repairs. Depending on the consumer laws in your country, you may have the right to take it back to the retailer you bought the device from and they'll send it to servicing free of charge. 

Recalibrating can help in some cases if software thinks it's getting input from a stick when it's actually not. I got a bad case of stick drift at some point when playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss and after I quit the game, everything was fine and has been ever since. :dunno: