First Nintendo Power, now Playstation Magazine is closing down..

Lady Lilith

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411853,00.asp

364195-playstation-the-official-magazine.jpg?thumb=y

PlayStation fans will have to look elsewhere for gaming news, following this winter's shuttering of the console's official magazine.

This winter's Holiday 2012 issue will be the lastPlayStation: The Official Magazine (PSM) to hit newsstands, according to the magazine's publisher.

"Future US can confirm it will end production ofPlayStation: The Official Magazine with the last issue slated for the Holiday 2012 issue," a spokeswoman said in a statement.

PSM has operated as a monthly print publication since its inception in 1997. It is also available as a monthly, $1.99 digital issue for iOS devices, Amazon Kindle products, Android devices, and via online newsstand Zinio. There has been no indication yet whether the magazine will go completely dark, or still produce online/digital news.

"'Official' means we have the inside track on all the latest PS3, PS Vita, and PSP info," PSM Managing Editor Roger Burchill said in a note on the magazine's website.

Burchill posted a cryptic tweet Tuesday evening, writing "And … I think it's time I say 'So long and thanks for all the fish,' and take a little break from Twitter. Check you on the flip side." He made no direct mention of the publication's shutdown or the future of the magazine.

This certainly isn't the first blow to print media, but it also serves as a second-life loss for gamers, who will also receive the final issue of Nintendo Power in December. In August, Nintendo confirmed to Ars Technica that the Future-published magazine, one of the longest-running game magazines, will bite the dust next month, following a 24-year run.

Damn, guess printed media really is on its way out. I wonder how much longer magazines will be around in general.

It's hardly surprising. The age of the internet and all that. The internet can provide everything a magazine can and more. And the only people who would read this are those that have PS3 or Vita/PSP, and they have internet built in.

The only ones who would lose out are those who play PS stuff without an internet connection.

I can't say I'm surprised or disappointed, to be honest. I dislike biased magazines and that's all you'll find in something like this one, but I do hope they contimue to produce it digitally do no one has to lose their jobs.

Anyone want to bet GameInformer is next? Assuming it has not already, since I have not gotten mine in a long while.

Eh, GameInformer is backed by GameStop now (or was bought, not sure) so I think we'll still see them around for a while. In fact, I think they'll be the last of the gaming magazines. I think the trend will continue and the next magazine to go will be the official Xbox magazine. Doesn't seem like there is any money in console specific magazines anymore.

Parker

Anyone want to bet GameInformer is next? Assuming it has not already, since I have not gotten mine in a long while.

I doubt it. Everyone that is a Powerup member at Gamestop gets a subscription. I would think that this keeps them the #1 video magazine. They are a good magazine and for essentially $15 dollars a year, it is a steal, also they have gone partially digital as well, so I think they have themselves covered for the future.

funny... i was just going to subscribe to this about a month back...

guess i will stick to gameinformer... until they go away... reminds me that i need to set up my account for the digital copy

I'm not suprised by the PSM being shutdown. I usually read stuff from Game Informer these days -- in print and digital.

• 4 weeks later...

Because they're too expensive, too slow, and too small. You pay 10 dollars for 10 minutes of reading.. There's too many free websites that already do the same thing.

exactly this.

I used to buy such magazines before i got internet at home,then it was worth the money because i coudnt get gamenews anywhere else.

Today i often borrow them from a friend but i always end up flapping the pages and put it down after 5 minutes cause theres nothing in it i dont already know.

exactly this.

I used to buy such magazines before i got internet at home,then it was worth the money because i coudnt get gamenews anywhere else.

Today i often borrow them from a friend but i always end up flapping the pages and put it down after 5 minutes cause theres nothing in it i dont already know.

I thought that said fapping.. I had to reread it.