Vita's 5th anniversary (February 22nd): Let's celebrate with plats or 100% (EVENT FINISHED)

7 hours ago, NetEntity said:

Don't. Muramasa needs time, and must be savored, not rushed through in futile attempts to meet the deadline.

Compared to you, I'm nearly done, and yet I don't feel that I'll make it in time. Because Fury Sayo is a cheating little shit.

This is also true. Trying to rush through that game will only lead to frustration. I can see it now. I'll tackle it later when I'm a little more prepared and don't have as many things going on. It's gonna require my full attention.

A little update :

Western Birthday:
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f *ready to pop*
- √Letter *ready to pop*

- Teslagrad *ready to pop*

Probably:
- Color Guardians
- Demon Gaze
- Sword Art Online: Lost Song
- Whispering Willows
- World of Final Fantasy

I played way too much yesterday but RootLetter was pretty interesting. Not the best VN out there though.

Between Christmas presents and the January sales, I keep changing my mind about what I want to play next.

Guess I'll just go with one of my backlog game first!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Myu said:

I played way too much yesterday but RootLetter was pretty interesting. Not the best VN out there though.

Between Christmas presents and the January sales, I keep changing my mind about what I want to play next.

Guess I'll just go with one of my backlog game first!

I would say it was okay but it surely had some flaws and overall it's not really remarkable. And have fun clearing the backlog. :D

2 hours ago, Kongou said:

Yes, that is the game, that I would like to use.

Thanks for the heads up. And I hope you have a fun time reading it. :)

1 hour ago, Ratchet2425 said:

Now that I've actually had my vita for a few days to try it out, the only game that I know for sure I'll add to my list is "Actual Sunlight", might be able to get "Amnesia: Memories" done before then as well but I'll leave that as a maybe for now.

Your game list has been updated. Hope you enjoy both games as both of them get rather mixed reviews. It feels like either you like them or you hate them. 

I'd like to thank Crimsonidol for gifting me a code for Shantae: ½ Genie Hero as it turned out to be a good surprise for the holidays. In simple terms this is a mascot platformer in which its core mechanic of animal transformations aids in moving across the levels. Fortunately the visuals take advantage of modern technology as the colorful 2D sprites are fluid in moving from one animation to another. Shantae herself expresses her carefree attitude in her standing animation.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/202/347/342.gif

The enemies themselves are mostly unique to each location as a sea pirate wouldn't share the same screen time as a sky pirate or ghosts. Unfortunately none of the common enemies pose a true threat as they can easily be dispatched with a few crouching hair whips or flying past them as a harpy. The enemy animations are stellar as it's quite surprising how swiftly an enemy can move, for example the slime girl.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/197/420/ea1.gif

Aside from the animation, another stellar feature of the game is the soundtrack. Aside from the vocal track this game's music could easily be swapped into a Genesis Sonic game. The music in the levels makes you want to rock out while the music becomes more mellow when in a shop or if some serious story matter is occurring. I'll probably add a few of these songs on my playlist and it easily makes it one of the three best soundtracks I heard this year, alongside Danganronpa and Metal Gear Solid 3. My favorite track from the game would have to be "Mermaid Falls" since it reminds me of Sonic 2's "Metropolis Zone" and Sonic 3's "Hydrocity Zone".

As far as gameplay goes, it's pretty easy for the most part. Falling into a pit or spike only removes a portion of a heart while enemies can be swiftly defeated with hair whips. In that case magic is mainly useless as there's no penalty for using the hair whip and offensive magic deals less while depleting the magic meter. Fortunately magic is useful if you want invincibility or want to transform into a money jar to farm some extra cash, but it does seem like a waste that magic isn't better utilized. Shantae gains transformations after completing a stage and could find a few hidden ones through previous stages. Backtracking is necessary as there will be quests needed to unlock the next level, and you'll need to upgrade your transformations to help you to get the item that ultimately moves the game forward. It feels less like a Metroidvania game and more of a classic point n' click game, which irritates me a bit since Metroidvania games lock up powerups or new levels.

The story is alright as the key plot point is Shantae helping her uncle build a machine that requires parts and after getting each part Shantae is presented a problem in Sequin Land, like cute girls being turned into soylent green. If seems that the world of Shantae is full of cute girls and Wayforward has the talent to properly shade them and not make them look like cheap, ugly plastic dolls; I'm looking at you Hyperdevotion Noire and Shinovi Versus. Despite the cast of Shantae not having quite the character depth of mature Telltale games, the characters are carefree and have dynamic conversations that are different and unique depending on the characters, like how Rottytops the zombie teases Shantae as a snack but still cares for her as a friend, but showing hostility towards Sky that must have stemmed from an earlier entry in the series. It sounds more human for Bolo to claim the day off after the world ends than some stupid idiot only caring about green beans while chastising her best friend for eating more than one meal. A problem I do have with the story is the pacing of certain events, as Shantae is replaced by another genie but there's nothing that adds to the rivalry and ends a level after she's introduced. Nega-Shantae herself only appears for about three minutes and ends in the same cutscene she's introduced, and after looking at the game's Kickstarter I wish that this section was funded. This game would have made much better of three-million dollars than Shitty No. 2.

Unfortunately I did encounter a few bugs while playing the game, mainly in secret locations. In the section where I got the bat upgrade I accidently fell down the pit and I immediately fell through the platform when I respawned, constantly until I double-jumped to the above platform. Another weird glitch was in the dark room as I was respawned into the geometry of the level, giving me no chance to escape and forcing me to restart the level.

Despite the gameplay needing more refinement, particularly the magic system and the steps needed to unlock levels, and a few questionable decisions in how the story goes, Shantae: ½ Genie Hero is a testament to how talented people can produce such a great game with proper management. The game's aesthetic is cute with vibrant colors and the soundtrack should gain some recognition for how much it rocks. I'm eager to see how Wayforward goes with the Shantae series and I'm interested in playing the previous entries. If possible support the game by buying a copy and spread the word as games like this and Shovel Knight should be rewarded. Thanks again to Crimson and I can't wait to pop the platinum come February 22.

• Like 1

@Mendant909:
Nice to hear that you enjoyed the game as much as I did and I mostly agree with you, especially with the rival genie and Nega-Shantae. I guess with much more money the game's story and overall feeling could have been polished even more. And Mermaid Falls is a nice song but I prefer Cape Crustacean:

--------------------

I can also report some personal progress:
Superdimension Neptune vs. Sega Hard Girls is ready to pop.

Yesterday I finished all remaining things like the fight against Delphinus or grinding all Lily Ranks except one, which will be the last thing to do. Overall I have to say that it's the best spin-off so far as it has the same gameplay as the main entries with only some minor changes. The game has some nice new additions like the class system but sadly it only shows some good potential but doesn't use it to it's fullest. Why do they introduce the class system where you influence the character's stats or the abilities she can learn when there's only a selection of three different classes for each character? If they would have used something like the Job-system from Final Fantasy V it would have been much more fun IMO to use this system.

Story-wise the game was a typical Neptunia-game so there's nothing really special about it. The biggest annoyance is the unbalanced difficulty, though. The fights early on in the game are easy to handle but the few boss battles are just broken. You either have to rely on a overpowered and totally broken combo or you have to grind a lot to surpass some of the bosses. The post-game boss Delphinus is also just plain broken. It has such a high physicla defense that even a character on max level won't do any harm with physical attacks unless you use buffs and nerf the boss' defense. Some posts say that the boss was weak against magical attacks but the game only features a few magic spells and most of the attacks are based on physical strength. Using the broken combo solves the problem though.

IMO it's really a good Neptunia-game and it's fun most of the time but those flaws are just killing the mood.

I also added two new games to my list:
Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit! --> I finally got the Finally!-trophy (with the last note in Yumi's song :shakefist: ) and so the only things left are the grindy ones. I guess and a half month are enough time to do 80 more songs.

Zero Time Dilemma --> My copy of the game should arrive sometime next week and I feel like this is a matching game for such an event.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polydeuces said:

I want to add Lone Survivor and Bastion to my list.

The games have been added.

1 hour ago, xFalionx said:

Letter Quest Remastered is now ready to pop. I've also got the most time-intensive trophy of Pumped BMX + at about 80%. I'll start with Persona 4 once I get that trophy and then, depending on how much time there's left, I might or might not add another game to the list.  

Congrats. :)
And I hope you find enough time to finish Persona 4 Golden. 

New update : Whispering Willows is ready to pop. Not a bad game really but not amazing either. I got scared for a few minutes when I beat the game because I thought I had popped all the trophies. If you're interested in obtaining 19 trophies in a couple of hours, try it. Otherwise, I don't really recommend it.

Western Birthday:
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f *ready to pop*
- √Letter *ready to pop*
- Teslagrad *ready to pop*

- Whispering Willows * ready to pop*

Maybe

- Color Guardians
- Demon Gaze
- Sword Art Online: Lost Song
- World of Final Fantasy

On 31.12.2016 at 8:11 PM, DetectiveCJ said:

Looks like I may have to look into 1/2 Genie Hero with all the glowing reviews I'm seeing. Surprising that a game that only showed up on the Gameboy for a couple of titles in the old days is making a huge comeback. ^_^

Do it! And yes, it's really surprising to see how a game that appeared way to late in the GBC-era was the starting point of such a highly acclaimed series.

On 31.12.2016 at 11:21 PM, Myu said:

New update : Whispering Willows is ready to pop. Not a bad game really but not amazing either. I got scared for a few minutes when I beat the game because I thought I had popped all the trophies. If you're interested in obtaining 19 trophies in a couple of hours, try it. Otherwise, I don't really recommend it.

Seems like you're on a roll. At first I thought that you added way more games to your list than you could handle but by now I'm rather optimistic that you at least get two of the other games, too. :D

5 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Do it! And yes, it's really surprising to see how a game that appeared way to late in the GBC-era was the starting point of such a highly acclaimed series.

Seems like you're on a roll. At first I thought that you added way more games to your list than you could handle but by now I'm rather optimistic that you at least get two of the other games, too. :D

I'm on SAO Lost Song right now. When this one is ready to plat, I'll go back to PS3 games for a bit and then I'll try to get WOFF ready for the big day. :D

Personal Update:

Western Birthday:

- Let's Fish! Hooked On  *ready to pop*

- Rugby 15

- WRC 5

- Vitamin Z

Maybe:

- Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed

"Let's Fish!" is ready, WRC 5 is in a good pace (a rally event per day, and I finish this on late January), as well as Vitamin Z (an addiction about my previous list, a non-platinum game which makes my list a bit weirder... :D), and since I've decided to get Hyperdimension U's platinum as my 150th, it's possible I achieve this on Feb. 22nd (I should have about 146~149 platinums until Feb. 22nd to do this - considering my current list; I have 143 now).

Rugby wasn't started yet, but it's a simple list... (I've platinum'd PS3 version in less than 3 days...)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoaoQuique said:

Personal Update:

Western Birthday:

- Let's Fish! Hooked On  *ready to pop*

- Rugby 15

- WRC 5

- Vitamin Z

Maybe:

- Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed

"Let's Fish!" is ready, WRC 5 is in a good pace (a rally event per day, and I finish this on late January), as well as Vitamin Z (an addiction about my previous list, a non-platinum game which makes my list a bit weirder... :D), and since I've decided to get Hyperdimension U's platinum as my 150th, it's possible I achieve this on Feb. 22nd (I should have about 146~149 platinums until Feb. 22nd to do this - considering my current list; I have 143 now).

Rugby wasn't started yet, but it's a simple list... (I've platinum'd PS3 version in less than 3 days...)

Updated your list in the OP. =) 

Is there any specific reason why you choose Action Unleashed for #150? IMO it's a decent game but nothing really special.

I'm also ready to pop another plat. I nearly finished the song grind for Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit. Only have 10 more songs to do before I'm right before the 200 songs mark. I don' t mind playing songs in rhythm games multiple times, but it's so boring in this game as the tunes are really lackluster as they have nothing really catchy at all. If someone wants a good rhythm game on Vita, choose anyone but this, even if you like Senran Kagura in general.

So my current stats look like this:
Japanese Birthday:
- Megatagmension Blanc + Neptune vs. Zombies

Western Birthday:
- Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit! *ready to pop*
- Superdimension Neptune vs. Sega Hard Girls *ready to pop*
- Volume *ready to pop*

Probably:
- Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
- Zero Time Dilemma

ok, over the few weeks since i originally posted i thought it would be a good idea to try for 5 plats for the 5th birthday. It'll be quite the endeavor since the most plats i've gotten in one day is 1. So I'll try to figure out 5 games and edit this post with my progress in case anyone is interested.

Game 1- Sword Art Online: Hallow Fragment- need this game is not for fun trophy to pop plat. currently have 60/100 HNMs by my count

Game 2- (ready) Ratchet and Clank 3- need skill master trophy to pop plat. only need the time run in the 5th comic episode to finish last skill point.

Game 3- (ready) Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee- need Angelic Gabbit, Hopping Mad, and I Regrow Nothing to pop plat. barring a glitch (re: i regrow nothing) these should all pop on successful completion of this play through. 23/24 levels complete

Game 4- Steamworld Heist (possibly)

Game 5- Megatagmension Blanc + Neptune v. Zombies (possibly)

Hopefully there will be some good sales between now and then to fill out my list because there is nothing else I currently have that I feel has a good chance of me getting platinum any time soon. Any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Cisele80

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Updated your list in the OP. =) 

Is there any specific reason why you choose Action Unleashed for #150? IMO it's a decent game but nothing really special.

I was deciding between Action U and Hyperdevotion, but I decided Action U as my 150th Platinum because its platinum image is prettier... :P

Breaking news: Vitamin Z is now ready to pop (I thought I should break even more coconuts...)

10 hours ago, Cisele80 said:

ok, over the few weeks since i originally posted i thought it would be a good idea to try for 5 plats for the 5th birthday. It'll be quite the endeavor since the most plats i've gotten in one day is 1. So I'll try to figure out 5 games and edit this post with my progress in case anyone is interested.

Game 1- Sword Art Online: Hallow Fragment- need this game is not for fun trophy to pop plat. currently have 29/100 HNMs by my count

Game 2- Ratchet and Clank 3- need skill master trophy to pop plat. only need the time run in the 5th comic episode to finish last skill point.

Game 3- (new)- Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee- need Angelic Gabbit, Hopping Mad, and I Regrow Nothing to pop plat. barring a glitch (re: i regrow nothing) these should all pop on successful completion of this play through. 9/24 levels complete

Game 4- tbd

Game 5- tbd

Hopefully there will be some good sales between now and then to fill out my list because there is nothing else I currently have that I feel has a good chance of me getting platinum any time soon. Any suggestions are welcome.

Not even Ratchet 2? It only seems like you miss a few things. Otherwise I don't know any game currently that you haven't finished yet that could be finished in a timely manner and US Vita-sales seem to be below-average.

10 hours ago, JoaoQuique said:

I was deciding between Action U and Hyperdevotion, but I decided Action U as my 150th Platinum because its platinum image is prettier... :P

Breaking news: Vitamin Z is now ready to pop (I thought I should break even more coconuts...)

Ok, with that criteria it's clear which plat you should choose. The Noire-plat really looks boring. 

Updated both your lists.

7 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Not even Ratchet 2? It only seems like you miss a few things. Otherwise I don't know any game currently that you haven't finished yet that could be finished in a timely manner and US Vita-sales seem to be below-average.

yeah i may try that or pick up Ray Gigant or see what else goes on Sale. I would rather not do 2 from the same series though... ok really i would rather not do all the races in r&c2. iirc all i have left besides finishing the nanotech are all the space race platinum bolts and the hoverbike time trials, but i really didn't like racing in r&c in general and r&c 2 was the worst in that regard.

30 minutes ago, Cisele80 said:

yeah i may try that or pick up Ray Gigant or see what else goes on Sale. I would rather not do 2 from the same series though... ok really i would rather not do all the races in r&c2. iirc all i have left besides finishing the nanotech are all the space race platinum bolts and the hoverbike time trials, but i really didn't like racing in r&c in general and r&c 2 was the worst in that regard.

Understandable if you don't want to do two games of the same series. Personally I disliked the hoverboard races in the first game more than the races in the second one. Doing the Twisty McMarx on PS3 was horrible but doing it on Vita, urks...

• Like 1