Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

Almost halfway through this month, and I'm not even halfway through the 2 games I'm playing now. I might just manage to finish Cold Steel in time though. I've heard about the massive grind in FF13, so don't know if I'll finish in time. I might just focus on 1 game the final week.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kevvik said:

OK, got New Little King's Story ready to pop for the Vita's 5th anniversary event. Story and all princesses done, just one spot point to collect and bing!

Working on my Firestarter run on Oxenfree. Kids have been occupying the PS3 lately so hard to keep working on Alice. May have to find something else for the 3D plat (since Oxenfree is kinda 2.5D rather than 3).

Congrats on getting Pumped ready to pop. P4G is on my pile too but I don't think I'm ready for the time sink yet. Got a course coming up in 2 weeks I really need to start preparing for.

Actually, since I've implemented a clause that allows games that have one trophy left before the plat/100% for a different event to count as completed, you actually already got your platinum rank. :) 

What did you think about New Little King's Story? It's a game that I thought looked interesting when I saw it a few years ago but I never got to buy it, really.  

Congratulations on earning a platinum rank in January and completing your second challenge. ^_^ 

Oxenfree should net you a platinum star. Since basically nobody voted for 2.5D games, I've decided to count them for the 3D theme as well. Now the main criteria for a game to count would be the use of 3D models in the game. It's about the perspective after all. 

I didn't really get it ready to pop, I just got the one trophy that takes ages to get but I'm still missing all of the other trophies. The upside to that is that, while the gold trophy took me 40+ hours, the other trophies all require you to do a single trick or two, of which I had to do 150 harder ones for the gold trophy already, so I'm basically done.

Yeah, any JRPG will take ages to complete, but that's one of the aspects I like the most about them. I really don't have a lot of money to spend on this kind of stuff, so a JRPG that I can get for maybe 5-15€ will last me ten times longer than an AAA game for 5 times the price. That's also one of the reasons why I love my Vita so much, even new games release for basically half the price on there and since I don't really care about the looks, that doesn't impact me at all. :D

To stay on topic, P4G is actually a game that can be played on the side pretty well since it features a time system that let's you decide what to do each day and there's a not a whole lot of dungeon crawling and fighting to be done. On the flip side, when a dungeon does come up, it will take between 2-6 hours to complete, which will be split apart on maybe 1-3 ingame days. Also, since the majority of the game is spent on advancing the story, the game is pretty addictive. I stayed up 2 hours longer than I had anticipated last night, because I was nearly done with a dungeon and the boss took ages to beat but I really wanted to see how that part of the story concludes...

So overall, I wouldn't recommend playing the game when something like your course is coming up. That wouldn't end well. :P

9 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Finally managed to clear a game - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is now one trophy away from the platinum and pending until Platinum Rain day. Hopefully Ratchet & Clank will be following it soon.

Congrats on earning your platinum rank in January. :) 

Ratchet & Clank shouldn't take you that long. Well, I guess one of my die hard R&C fan friends isn't that great of a comparison but he was able to get the plat in 4 days. :dunno:

50 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Almost halfway through this month, and I'm not even halfway through the 2 games I'm playing now. I might just manage to finish Cold Steel in time though. I've heard about the massive grind in FF13, so don't know if I'll finish in time. I might just focus on 1 game the final week.

Yeah, playing two JRPGs alongside each other takes a while. I don't really know enough about both games to compare them but going by my knowledge of a trophy in FF13 that requires you to collect every single weapon in the game, and knowing the typical amount of weapons in an FF game that's an amount larger than the observable universe, you're probably better off focusing on Cold Steel first. Judging by the trophy time of the ToCS PSNP guide, you're better off than me at least. ^_^ I've got no clue if I'll manage to complete P4G in time to get a plat rank this month. I've just rescued Rise, so I guess I'm also not even halfway through the game but I might decide to throw a quick plat in between if I don't manage to finish my first playthrough before the 21st, so I can get a plat rank.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

I've just rescued Rise, so I guess I'm also not even halfway through the game

You're not halfway through the game yet for sure. I think that when you're at the point where you rescue Rise, you've completed about 25% of a playthrough.

Edited by Lucas
I said 33% before but I guess it's even less.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Yeah, any JRPG will take ages to complete, but that's one of the aspects I like the most about them. I really don't have a lot of money to spend on this kind of stuff, so a JRPG that I can get for maybe 5-15€ will last me ten times longer than an AAA game for 5 times the price. That's also one of the reasons why I love my Vita so much, even new games release for basically half the price on there and since I don't really care about the looks, that doesn't impact me at all. :D

To stay on topic, P4G is actually a game that can be played on the side pretty well since it features a time system that let's you decide what to do each day and there's a not a whole lot of dungeon crawling and fighting to be done. On the flip side, when a dungeon does come up, it will take between 2-6 hours to complete, which will be split apart on maybe 1-3 ingame days. A

Yeah, playing two JRPGs alongside each other takes a while. I don't really know enough about both games to compare them but going by my knowledge of a trophy in FF13 that requires you to collect every single weapon in the game, and knowing the typical amount of weapons in an FF game that's an amount larger than the observable universe, you're probably better off focusing on Cold Steel first. Judging by the trophy time of the ToCS PSNP guide, you're better off than me at least. ^_^ I've got no clue if I'll manage to complete P4G in time to get a plat rank this month. I've just rescued Rise, so I guess I'm also not even halfway through the game but I might decide to throw a quick plat in between if I don't manage to finish my first playthrough before the 21st, so I can get a plat rank.

For me, I just need to play through the game once to feel that I got "halfway" through any game. In FF's case, I have no idea since most of the grind comes after the story.

With P4G, hmmm....I would say the light at the end of the tunnel comes when you fulfill the True Ending requirement , max the 5 attributes, and pop the other Rise trophy. But I shouldn't talk it took me a year to finish the game and over 100 hours.

• Like 1

So I've finished my first backlog game which is Ark: Survival Evolved (Game Preview) on the Xbox One and I've unlocked all the achievements within it too. My Xbox username is RizzleAbbey so you can check it out on there if you want? I would put a picture on but it says my pictures are too big but it doesn't matter?

Anyway, here's a little review of Ark:

So I got this on the Xbox Countdown sale a few weeks ago for £14.00 with the extra discount from my Gold membership. I'm glad that it only cost me £14.00 because I had been waiting for it to go on sale for ages as I think £27.99 is rather a lot for a technically unfinished game. Anyway, the game itself runs pretty well to say it's not complete and also I only experienced one crash while playing which I was quite impressed with. The game is pretty much centraled around you, the islander/survivor or whatever you'd like to call yourself, and the island that you are stranded on. Pretty much your first priority is to make some clothes (since your naked from the start?) and a hachet or pick axe so you can start to harvest resources and food from the dinosaurs around you. I loved all of the different dinosaurs on the island and they all looked unique and well designed. So I eventually started to explore the island more and more and I found that it's a very beautiful island with a lot of variety and resources on it and I also reached the obelisks that are scattered around the island. These obelisks then gave me access to the three bosses that are in the game which were extremely tough and I would say that they are better done in multiplayer plus it is more fun. As with all games that allow me to build my own house, I immediately sunk a couple of days into building my perfect island house and I loved every minute of it!? I played the multiplayer as well which I can say is pretty fun when your a part of a tribe and start to explore the island together plus I'm not a fan of multiplayer but this was pretty fun. 

Overall, Ark is a very fun and appealing game that surprised me with how well it runs to say it's still in the Game Preview Program and I can't wait to see what else they add to it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

You're not halfway through the game yet for sure. I think that when you're at the point where you rescue Rise, you've completed about 25% of a playthrough.

That's a little less than I figured, but seeing as I'm not even 3 months into the game, I guess that makes sense.

Yeah, at this pace I'm probably gonna throw in an easy plat like Color Guardians since 17 days is cutting it pretty close.

1 hour ago, Edunstar84 said:

For me, I just need to play through the game once to feel that I got "halfway" through any game. In FF's case, I have no idea since most of the grind comes after the story.

With P4G, hmmm....I would say the light at the end of the tunnel comes when you fulfill the True Ending requirement , max the 5 attributes, and pop the other Rise trophy. But I shouldn't talk it took me a year to finish the game and over 100 hours.

I was thinking of the current playthrough when I read that. With FF it's usually pretty a pretty consistent chain of beating the story, then maxing stats, doing additional grinds, and then beating ultra hard bosses.  

With P4G, I think pretty much 70% of my time spent will be in the first playthrough since I'm planning on maxing all stats (almost done with that actually, I've got Courage, Dilligence and Expression at 4, and Knowledge and Understanding at 3), catching the sea guardian, getting HRF (the other Rise trophy), reading all books, and getting some other miscellaneous trophies in this playthrough.

13 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

So I've finished my first backlog game which is Ark: Survival Evolved (Game Preview) on the Xbox One and I've unlocked all the achievements within it too. My Xbox username is RizzleAbbey so you can check it out on there if you want? I would put a picture on but it says my pictures are too big but it doesn't matter?

Well, I'm gonna have to trust you with that because the Microsoft website won't let me see the dates you got the trophy on. I did manage to see that it's your most recent completed game and that in fact, the achievements are all completed and match the trophy list. I guess you dodged a bullet there because the people on PSNP were talking about a few trophies being bugged on the PS version. Also, to post pictures, just upload them to an image host like imgur, which takes less than a minute, and then copy the URL of the picture and post it here.

Anyways, Congratulations on earning a platinum rank in January. ^_^

Ark is one of the games I've wanted to play for some time already, by the way, but I guess that will have to wait since it probably won't run on my PC and I don't have any current gen consoles. It's pretty weird that they ported the game consoles before finishing it though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

That's a little less than I figured, but seeing as I'm not even 3 months into the game, I guess that makes sense.

Yeah, at this pace I'm probably gonna throw in an easy plat like Color Guardians since 17 days is cutting it pretty close.

I was thinking of the current playthrough when I read that. With FF it's usually pretty a pretty consistent chain of beating the story, then maxing stats, doing additional grinds, and then beating ultra hard bosses.  

With P4G, I think pretty much 70% of my time spent will be in the first playthrough since I'm planning on maxing all stats (almost done with that actually, I've got Courage, Dilligence and Expression at 4, and Knowledge and Understanding at 3), catching the sea guardian, getting HRF (the other Rise trophy), reading all books, and getting some other miscellaneous trophies in this playthrough.

Well, I'm gonna have to trust you with that because the Microsoft website won't let me see the dates you got the trophy on. I did manage to see that it's your most recent completed game and that in fact, the achievements are all completed and match the trophy list. I guess you dodged a bullet there because the people on PSNP were talking about a few trophies being bugged on the PS version. Also, to post pictures, just upload them to an image host like imgur, which takes less than a minute, and then copy the URL of the picture and post it here.

Anyways, Congratulations on earning a platinum rank in January. ^_^

Ark is one of the games I've wanted to play for some time already, by the way, but I guess that will have to wait since it probably won't run on my PC and I don't have any current gen consoles. It's pretty weird that they ported the game consoles before finishing it though.

Thank you!? If this will let you look, I have a link to True Achievements were you can see my achievements and completed games.

https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/RizzleAbbey/gamecollection

It is strange that they did that, I suppose they did it so they could get more players so that they could then collect more data and feedback for it but I'm not sure. 

I guess I did dodge a bullet with the game but it might be because it's been out on the Xbox One longer so they've had more time to make it run better or something like that anyway.

By the way, I know what you mean with Persona 4: Golden, when I started playing it I couldn't put it down for at least a couple of weeks and I was playing it until pretty late at night as well. I really need to platinum it now I think about it but I'll probably do that later this year as my backlog is huge for game that I haven't even started yet haha??

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Yep, that site let's me see the date, so everything should be fine. :) 

Enjoy your platinum rank. ^_^

I'll remember to use that site in future?

Thank you!? Would Lego Harry Potter count for this months theme? I really fancy playing it but I thought I'd check first?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I'll remember to use that site in future?

Thank you!? Would Lego Harry Potter count for this months theme? I really fancy playing it but I thought I'd check first?

Like I've said multiple times before, any game that makes use of 3D models is perfectly fine for this theme. Of course this also includes Lego Harry Potter. :)

Depending on which platform you play the game, you might want to check if the trophy lists match, to make sure you get a platinum star upon completion of the game, but you know that already. :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Like I've said multiple times before, any game that makes use of 3D models is perfectly fine for this theme. Of course this also includes Lego Harry Potter. :)

Depending on which platform you play the game, you might want to check if the trophy lists match, to make sure you get a platinum star upon completion of the game, but you know that already. :P

Okay thank you and I'm sorry, I know that was a silly question but I just wanted to make sure?

Im playing it on the PS4 so there's no issues with trophy lists there?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xFalionx said:

What did you think about New Little King's Story? It's a game that I thought looked interesting when I saw it a few years ago but I never got to buy it, really.  

Oxenfree should net you a platinum star. Since basically nobody voted for 2.5D games, I've decided to count them for the 3D theme as well. Now the main criteria for a game to count would be the use of 3D models in the game. It's about the perspective after all. 

I enjoyed New Little King's Story.  There's a lot to do, a lot more than I thought there would be. It looks great and the combat is kinda neat. I got it on a sale a while back and was worth the few bucks I paid for it.  The princess friendship can be a little tedious and a little grindy but otherwise it gets a 7/10.

Oxenfree is more 2D with some slight depth of environment than true 2.5D so I'm not sure I think it meets the criteria.

Yes, no starting JRPG's until at least February. It's a short course but rather intense so just little stuff until then.

• Like 1

From the looks of that poll sounds like I need to figure out which of my PC games are on PS4 as well since I lack a PS4 and my only game for another console that is also for PS4 is FFX and FFX-2 which I doubt I'll be able to plat anytime soon.

So I could do Final Fantasy Type-0, Murdered Soul Suspect, Grim Fandango Remastered, Trine Enchanted Edition, Trine 2, Pier Solar, Transistor, and Bastion.  And those are just the ones I know of offhand with plats, though I'll have to check that the trophy and achievement lists match.  Seems I have a bunch more that are 100%s.   Hard choice there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

From the looks of that poll sounds like I need to figure out which of my PC games are on PS4 as well since I lack a PS4 and my only game for another console that is also for PS4 is FFX and FFX-2 which I doubt I'll be able to plat anytime soon.

So I could do Final Fantasy Type-0, Murdered Soul Suspect, Grim Fandango Remastered, Trine Enchanted Edition, Trine 2, Pier Solar, Transistor, and Bastion.  And those are just the ones I know of offhand with plats, though I'll have to check that the trophy and achievement lists match.  Seems I have a bunch more that are 100%s.   Hard choice there.

I'll go ahead and recommend Bastion. It's an amazing game and the narration is Morgan Freeman level :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Congrats on earning your platinum rank in January. :) 

Ratchet & Clank shouldn't take you that long. Well, I guess one of my die hard R&C fan friends isn't that great of a comparison but he was able to get the plat in 4 days. :dunno:

Thanks. Better late than never, with an unexpected ~100 hour game hogging all my game time.  :P

Estimate's 20 hours for R&C, so... probably 2-3 more days, since I'm nearly done with my first run.

Not sure what I'll move onto after that...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Oxenfree is more 2D with some slight depth of environment than true 2.5D so I'm not sure I think it meets the criteria.

I've looked at gameplay footage of the game to determine that. The backgrounds look drawn but the character models are 3D, it's easy to tell by the shading. That would make it count towards the theme of January. :)

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Well, the poll might always sway back towards the Vita side of things, or we might even get a PS3 comeback. There's still more than half of the month left to vote and there's only a difference of 2 votes, so it could always change towards the end of the month. You could always lead a Vita revolution. :P

If the theme ends up being PS4, I'd probably tag along with Edunstar and suggest playing Bastion, it's another one of those titles I'd probably have played by now if I had an infinite amount of money. Trine is also pretty interesting, so it might be worth a look.

1 hour ago, SyIaris said:

Thanks. Better late than never, with an unexpected ~100 hour game hogging all my game time.  :P

Estimate's 20 hours for R&C, so... probably 2-3 more days, since I'm nearly done with my first run.

Not sure what I'll move onto after that...

Seeing as I only have a gold rank, I wouldn't say you're that late. ^_^ 

I had a quick look through your trophy list and saw both Far Cry 3 and FFXV, which should be nice choices (despite being rather lengthy titles). I really enjoyed playing the PC version of FC3, so earning trophies alongside should only make it better. And I guess I don't even need to start explaining FFXV. :P 

2 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Seeing as I only have a gold rank, I wouldn't say you're that late. ^_^ 

I had a quick look through your trophy list and saw both Far Cry 3 and FFXV, which should be nice choices (despite being rather lengthy titles). I really enjoyed playing the PC version of FC3, so earning trophies alongside should only make it better. And I guess I don't even need to start explaining FFXV. :P 

True, still plenty of time. Just wasn't expecting it to hog half the month.

Far Cry 3 is on hold until I have the house to myself, for fear of stumbling across a certain scene right when someone walks by my door. Do want to beat it, though... was fun so far.

FFXV definitely needs to be explained, 'cause I don't have it. XIII, on the other hand, kind of lost me for now.  :P

I'm in a contest that requires games to take more than five hours and be less than 5%, so that limits things a bit. Not that I've made any progress whatsoever, but hey, doesn't hurt to play stuff that qualifies for a couple weeks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

FFXV definitely needs to be explained, 'cause I don't have it. XIII, on the other hand, kind of lost me for now.  :P

I'm in a contest that requires games to take more than five hours and be less than 5%, so that limits things a bit. Not that I've made any progress whatsoever, but hey, doesn't hurt to play stuff that qualifies for a couple weeks.

:facepalm: In my defense, I'm pretty tired and halving my calorie intake, so I don't end up with things starting to orbit around me because I'm just that large of a source of mass... That causes my mind to trail off pretty often. FFXIII has an annoying to get platinum trophy, so I can understand that. :)

That does indeed limit the selection quite a bit but I bet you'll find something eventually.

6 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

:facepalm: In my defense, I'm pretty tired and halving my calorie intake, so I don't end up with things starting to orbit around me because I'm just that large of a source of mass... That causes my mind to trail off pretty often. FFXIII has an annoying to get platinum trophy, so I can understand that. :)

That does indeed limit the selection quite a bit but I bet you'll find something eventually.

No worries, I was just teasing. Understandable, takes some adjusting to - good for you and best of luck!

My main issue seems to be the beginning, honestly. It's just so... blah. There's probably a decent game waiting once I shove my way through.

Still leaves me a bunch of games to pick from. The problem's choosing. -_-

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

No worries, I was just teasing. Understandable, takes some adjusting to - good for you and best of luck!

My main issue seems to be the beginning, honestly. It's just so... blah. There's probably a decent game waiting once I shove my way through.

Still leaves me a bunch of games to pick from. The problem's choosing. -_-

Thanks, it's going pretty well actually. Last week (which is the first week) I lost 7 pounds already. :P

Looking through your games, the only one that fits and that I know well enough to suggest would be Okami. It's one of the lengthier titles with 60 hours according to guide but it's a nice game.

If you're more in an RPG mood right now, there's also Rainbow Moon, which I've heard quite a few things about already but that might take too long for the event, since it seems to be pretty long.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Thanks, it's going pretty well actually. Last week (which is the first week) I lost 7 pounds already. :P

Looking through your games, the only one that fits and that I know well enough to suggest would be Okami. It's one of the lengthier titles with 60 hours according to guide but it's a nice game.

If you're more in an RPG mood right now, there's also Rainbow Moon, which I've heard quite a few things about already but that might take too long for the event, since it seems to be pretty long.

Wow, that is rather fast. Impressive.  :yay:

Are you exercising too, or just cutting calories? Either way, it definitely sounds like it's helping.

Okami's definitely a strong contender. Enjoyed the start of it, just got sidetracked.

Thanks for the suggestions!

0%/not listed counts too, so it's more than the handful on my profile. Quite a few more options that way.  :)

Edited by SyIaris
0% line.
  • Like 1

I have defeated Yunalesca in FFX and now just searching for all the celestial weapons before taking on sin.

Taking a break from FFX at the moment and working on collecting everything in Uncharted 4 then back to FFX as its quite a grind and I don't wont to get annoyed with the game and leave it in the cupboard again :facepalm:

Congrats on losing 7 pounds :shakefist:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SyIaris said:

Wow, that is rather fast. Impressive.  :yay:

Are you exercising too, or just cutting calories? Either way, it definitely sounds like it's helping.

Okami's definitely a strong contender. Enjoyed the start of it, just got sidetracked.

Thanks for the suggestions!

0%/not listed counts too, so it's more than the handful on my profile. Quite a few more options that way.  :)

Thanks, but it's really just maths. :P

Honestly, I wouldn't call it exercise but I went from doing nothing to like 30 squats and 10 push-ups per day for 3 days, then I stopped because I got ill. The main thing are the calories. I used to consume around 3000 calories per day and I've cut that down to 1500 or less per day. A normal person uses up around 2000 calories per day and since I'm quite a bit larger than the average person, it's probably around 2500 for me. Those 1000 calories that are missing have to be taken from the fat reserves of the body in order to keep your systems running. Of course keeping this up requires a lot of focus, as giving in to those desires of chocolate and other snacks would probably result in a chain reaction of disappointment. 

To keep this up I usually don't eat anything until like 4 PM because in my opinion being hungry is easier to cope with if you haven't had anything to eat before. In that period drinking a lot of water usually fills me up enough that it's not really a bother at all.

No problem, maybe you find something that's even better in you hidden stash. ^_^

53 minutes ago, MortalRikku said:

I have defeated Yunalesca in FFX and now just searching for all the celestial weapons before taking on sin.

Taking a break from FFX at the moment and working on collecting everything in Uncharted 4 then back to FFX as its quite a grind and I don't wont to get annoyed with the game and leave it in the cupboard again :facepalm:

Congrats on losing 7 pounds :shakefist:

Well, now that you're pretty much done with the story you'll have some room to choose what to do next, so it shouldn't be to bad until you get to the leveling part. That's the part that might get frustrating. 

Thanks. :D

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 4:37 AM, xFalionx said:

Man that sucks, I hope you find it in the end. Knowing the memory card prices for the Vita, that case is probably worth more than the console itself...

Found the case! It must have gotten kicked waaaay under my bed.  I had to get a stick to knock it out from under there.  Started working on Gravity Rush again and the story is starting to pick up, probably about 2/3 of the way through.

• Like 3