Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

I finished both Severed and Child of Light yesterday. ^_^ Both were great, although I had expected Child of Light to be longer than it ended up being. I also have Child of Light on my list in the Spring Backlog Event, so that'll count towards that challenge. I might try to get another two games done by the end of the month.

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +5

100% completed: +1

Completion:  +1.79

And now I'm going to murder the gains in my completion by starting Final Fantasy XV, which I borrowed off a friend. > o >

• Like 1

Seeing as I'm not making as much regular updates here on my big March game...

wZCgWDU.jpg

By now, I've uncovered most of the map regions, though there's still four large areas I've barely seen anything in except for stuff at the edge. It's weird how different areas suddenly can get; last one I finished was a scorching desert and now I'm at an active volcano, after having seen a thick forest, lakes and rivers, snowy mountains, green valleys and more.

The "big story" is divided into a "tutorial" plateau, and then conquering four Divine Beasts that have been hyjacked by Ganon, before taking on Ganon himself (though going for Ganon right away is allowed). There's a main side plot as well that has you travel to two different villages for some background info, which I did before taking on any of the Beasts. After that, there's much exploration left to do - contrary to earlier Zelda games like (insert any title you want here) which had you explore most of the map just to get through the story, less than a third of the areas in Breath Of The Wild actually get used for the main quest and the rest is exploration. All you really need is the tutorial plateau, the four areas where the Beasts are (unless you're ignoring them and going for Ganon directly), the area with Hyrule Castle where Ganon is, and the space in between them so you can get to them all. Everything else is optional for exploring as well as buffing stats.

I've freed three out of four beasts from Ganon's grasp now, and I ended last night at the city of the Goron, the species living at Death Mountain (the active volcano). Seeing as the air is literally on fire here, I've decided to collect some fireproof armor, for which I spent the last half hour or so collecting ingredients to upgrade them twice. Today I'll probably get far enough to free the last beast, and then I should be done with Ganon by the end of Friday, for sure.

After that, I'll focus on Witcher III and KYC3 once again, while continuing to explore Zelda before going to sleep in handheld mode.

• Like 1

@xFalionx just noticed you're not using icons for the "complete four games in one month" challenge. Just so you know, if I manage to get four games in one month then I'm going to do the weird thing and make an icon with four smaller game icons making up a quarter of the image each.

Comme ça:

8r57OqV.png

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, cerafinn said:

I finished both Severed and Child of Light yesterday. ^_^ Both were great, although I had expected Child of Light to be longer than it ended up being. I also have Child of Light on my list in the Spring Backlog Event, so that'll count towards that challenge. I might try to get another two games done by the end of the month.

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +5

100% completed: +1

Completion:  +1.79

And now I'm going to murder the gains in my completion by starting Final Fantasy XV, which I borrowed off a friend. > o >

That's a platinum rank, golden star, and challenge completion for you. Congrats. 

Have fun with FFXV. :) 

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Seeing as I'm not making as much regular updates here on my big March game...

<image>

By now, I've uncovered most of the map regions, though there's still four large areas I've barely seen anything in except for stuff at the edge. It's weird how different areas suddenly can get; last one I finished was a scorching desert and now I'm at an active volcano, after having seen a thick forest, lakes and rivers, snowy mountains, green valleys and more.

The "big story" is divided into a "tutorial" plateau, and then conquering four Divine Beasts that have been hyjacked by Ganon, before taking on Ganon himself (though going for Ganon right away is allowed). There's a main side plot as well that has you travel to two different villages for some background info, which I did before taking on any of the Beasts. After that, there's much exploration left to do - contrary to earlier Zelda games like (insert any title you want here) which had you explore most of the map just to get through the story, less than a third of the areas in Breath Of The Wild actually get used for the main quest and the rest is exploration. All you really need is the tutorial plateau, the four areas where the Beasts are (unless you're ignoring them and going for Ganon directly), the area with Hyrule Castle where Ganon is, and the space in between them so you can get to them all. Everything else is optional for exploring as well as buffing stats.

I've freed three out of four beasts from Ganon's grasp now, and I ended last night at the city of the Goron, the species living at Death Mountain (the active volcano). Seeing as the air is literally on fire here, I've decided to collect some fireproof armor, for which I spent the last half hour or so collecting ingredients to upgrade them twice. Today I'll probably get far enough to free the last beast, and then I should be done with Ganon by the end of Friday, for sure.

After that, I'll focus on Witcher III and KYC3 once again, while continuing to explore Zelda before going to sleep in handheld mode.

That does sound pretty different from the Zelda formula. By the way, aren't you getting heart containers from the beasts? It's pretty weird to see someone so far into a Zelda game with only 5 hearts. ^_^ 

37 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

@xFalionx just noticed you're not using icons for the "complete four games in one month" challenge. Just so you know, if I manage to get four games in one month then I'm going to do the weird thing and make an icon with four smaller game icons making up a quarter of the image each.

Comme ça:

8r57OqV.png

Sure, go ahead and Cronenberg your image. I would have probably done something along the lines of that but doing that 23 times seems like a bit more work than I'd like, so I'd rather make a standard image for the challenge instead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

That does sound pretty different from the Zelda formula. By the way, aren't you getting heart containers from the beasts? It's pretty weird to see someone so far into a Zelda game with only 5 hearts. ^_^ 

Yeah that picture is actually quite old (early last week old), I thought it was a fun one to use for my update though and I had to pick something I already uploaded (or wait until I'm home, or use a generic internet image). Yes the bosses in the Beasts give you a heart container but the main way of improving hearts is by doing the shrines, which give you either a heart or stamina update (your choice) every fourth completed shrine. Here's a newer image, but I'm even farther with hearts by now:

keeG0Qp.jpg

4 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Sure, go ahead and Cronenberg your image. I would have probably done something along the lines of that but doing that 23 times seems like a bit more work than I'd like, so I'd rather make a standard image for the challenge instead.

Thank you, Cronenberg-Falion. Here's a Cronenberg-Rick and Cronenberg-Morty reference for you to brighten your day. Also, yeah you shouldn't go do that yourself, people making them on their own if they feel like it seems good enough.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah that picture is actually quite old (early last week old), I thought it was a fun one to use for my update though and I had to pick something I already uploaded (or wait until I'm home, or use a generic internet image). Yes the bosses in the Beasts give you a heart container but the main way of improving hearts is by doing the shrines, which give you either a heart or stamina update (your choice) every fourth completed shrine. Here's a newer image, but I'm even farther with hearts by now:

<image>

Thank you, Cronenberg-Falion. Here's a Cronenberg-Rick and Cronenberg-Morty reference for you to brighten your day. Also, yeah you shouldn't go do that yourself, people making them on their own if they feel like it seems good enough.

That does seem a lot more reasonable. ^_^ 

Yay, you got the reference. :D Can't wait for season 3 to start.

• Like 1

Just now, xFalionx said:

That does seem a lot more reasonable. ^_^ 

I think I'm at about fifteen or so regular hearts by now, I'll have to check later today. Those yellow hearts are temporary hearts by the way, you can gain them from a special ability and from special dishes.

Just now, xFalionx said:

Yay, you got the reference. :D Can't wait for season 3 to start.

Yeah, I hope it'll go on Netflix soon after. I've got so much to see, I've got no time for downloading stuff while there's still so much ready to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

@xFalionx here you go, this is the number of hearts I have right now... (Also a good picture to use in a recap by the way)

uYXScs3h.jpg

That's one hell of a nice view there. Also, I see that they abandoned the 10 hearts per row thing with the higher resolutions of our current age. Not to mention the mini-map. 

Edited by xFalionx

I reached 100% in Dear Esther last night, which I played as part of the Kill Your Completion event (granted it actually only helped my completion). 

It's about as far on the 'games as art' side of the spectrum as you can get, plus the audio and the art design are excellent - I must've taken a dozen screenshots over the course of a very short game, which I don't normally feel compelled to do. 

KYC is taking up most/all of my gaming time, so I think that'll probably be the best I can manage for this month's theme, but hey, we're only half way through the month...

6 hours ago, xFalionx said:

That's one hell of a nice view there. Also, I see that they abandoned the 10 hearts per row thing with the higher resolutions of our current age. Not to mention the mini-map. 

Mini-map looks empty here because I had't climbed the tower in the right of the screen yet, by the way.

4 hours ago, Fitzquaid said:

I reached 100% in Dear Esther last night, which I played as part of the Kill Your Completion event (granted it actually only helped my completion). 

It's about as far on the 'games as art' side of the spectrum as you can get, plus the audio and the art design are excellent - I must've taken a dozen screenshots over the course of a very short game, which I don't normally feel compelled to do. 

KYC is taking up most/all of my gaming time, so I think that'll probably be the best I can manage for this month's theme, but hey, we're only half way through the month...

Congrats on your gold rank and challenge star. :) 

Yeah, same goes for me. Getting a gold rank should be fine though, after all this is not really a competition but rather a way to incentivize giving some of your backlog games a(nother) try.  

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Mini-map looks empty here because I had't climbed the tower in the right of the screen yet, by the way.

Oh, so they're using the Ubisoft formula. :D 

18 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Oh, so they're using the Ubisoft formula. :D 

Doesn't every open world game do this these days? Towers in Assassin's Creed, towers in Zelda, towers in Far Cry, tower robots in Horizon Zero Dawn...

I've noticed in Zelda that they took a note from many open world games to see what did and did not work. There are definitely some Assassin's Creed and Dark Souls drops in there.

By the way, the towers in Zelda uncover the map but none of the side stuff in it, you'll have to find those on your own.

From videogamer.com, at the end of an article about this trend of towers in open world games:

Arguably The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the best Assassin's Creed game ever made: You, a warrior in service to a group of other warriors as explained to you by an old man, are sent on a quest to eliminate several different targets by any means you see fit. Special abilities are passed down through family bloodlines. There's future tech that is somehow from the past. The Royal family is involved. Things could get ugly.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, xFalionx said:

My son says there are 15 hearts to a row this time. He's at 18 hearts now.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 11:48 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Doesn't every open world game do this these days? Towers in Assassin's Creed, towers in Zelda, towers in Far Cry, tower robots in Horizon Zero Dawn...

I've noticed in Zelda that they took a note from many open world games to see what did and did not work. There are definitely some Assassin's Creed and Dark Souls drops in there.

By the way, the towers in Zelda uncover the map but none of the side stuff in it, you'll have to find those on your own.

From videogamer.com, at the end of an article about this trend of towers in open world games:

Yeah, but we're talking about Zelda right now. :D It's somehow pretty weird to find someone talking about Zelda and climbing up towers to reveal more of the mini map.

Then again, I guess a year from now these things will all be regarded as completely normal Zelda game aspects. Anyways, I can't wait to start the game myself in a few weeks. ^_^ 

I like that they let you explore the uncovered areas yourself. I often feel like I don't need to do any more exploration after I uncover the map in these types of games, so that should be a nice compromise.

On 3/16/2017 at 0:14 PM, Crimson Idol said:

Sorry to say that but I will drop out of the event due to some personal reasons. Honestly I don't know if I will have the engagement to participate in any events on this site caused by some recent happenings.

That's really unfortunate. You've got my best wishes that your situation clears up again soon.

If you ever feel like joining again in the future, just let me know.

7 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

You don't have to lie to us, this is a safe space. You can admit that you play and like Zelda games.

I do enjoy Zelda games but haven't played one since Spirit Tracks even though I enjoyed it immensely. I've always taken more to Zelda on handheld than console. The last console Zelda I played was Wind Waker.

Given the amount of time he has been glued to his Switch, I wouldn't have had time for work or sleep much less gaming for the KYC event. I am on holidays this week which has allowed me more time but still a lot of RL going on for me.

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevvik said:

I do enjoy Zelda games but haven't played one since Spirit Tracks even though I enjoyed it immensely. I've always taken more to Zelda on handheld than console. The last console Zelda I played was Wind Waker.

I really liked the handheld Zelda titles as well. :) 

I think since you've already got Breath of the Wild, you should give it a try once your son is done with it. At least if we're to believe Billy, it should be pretty great. I didn't hear anything bad about the game around the internet yet either, but I'm not looking out for that since I can play the game myself a few weeks from now.

20 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Yeah, but we're talking about Zelda right now. :D It's somehow pretty weird to find someone talking about Zelda and climbing up towers to reveal more of the mini map.

Then again, I guess a year from now these things will all be regarded as completely normal Zelda game aspects. Anyways, I can't wait to start the game myself in a few weeks. ^_^ 

I like that they let you explore the uncovered areas yourself. I often feel like I don't need to do any more exploration after I uncover the map in these types of games, so that should be a nice compromise.

20 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Given the amount of time he has been glued to his Switch, I wouldn't have had time for work or sleep much less gaming for the KYC event. I am on holidays this week which has allowed me more time but still a lot of RL going on for me.

20 hours ago, xFalionx said:

I really liked the handheld Zelda titles as well. :) 

I think since you've already got Breath of the Wild, you should give it a try once your son is done with it. At least if we're to believe Billy, it should be pretty great. I didn't hear anything bad about the game around the internet yet either, but I'm not looking out for that since I can play the game myself a few weeks from now.

For the love of Farore, if you plan on playing BOTW ever and you don't want to be spoiled then don't open the spoiler below. I wanted to share my journey in pictures somewhere and I figured I'd save the people in the Zelda and Switch threads from themselves so I'm posting it here, the thread for which the game counts with the lowest number of Zelda players.

So, I finished the main story of Zelda yesterday...

@xFalionx here's my icon for this month:

NSnkABf.png

What an awesome game, definitely best game ever in my eyes and I'll keep on exploring in it for a while, doing shrines and side quests and stuff. I have a feeling I've still missed a lot...

Yesterday I did everything needed for the final Beast (at the volcano), even the last one managed to surprise me by how it worked. I hope they add more big dungeons in the next Zelda, I loved these four big dungeons, much less repetitive than those in other games and it was very cool that you had to manipulate the beasts to complete the dungeons.

For decades, I've seen Ocarina Of Time as one of the best, if not THE best, games ever. The Zelda's after it which I played either felt like too much of a copy (Twilight Princess) or not a Zelda at all (Wind Waker). Breath Of The Wild has a perfect balance between old and new. Its map and story and game mechanics are so new, yet its themes are so familiar... I went in expecting a game that was just good, not one that was this amazing.

So because I have now played through all three of my Switch games (and 100% completed the puzzle game, I'll allow myself to buy a new game. One of these days I'm going to buy either Blaster Master Zero or Shovel Knight (oh yeah, haven't mentioned it here but I really want those two games now), not both at the same time though and likely not until monday at the least.

Once again, don't open the spoiler below if you plan on playing BOTW ever and you don't want to be spoiled. This is a picture recap of my journey and it contains spoilers to the final boss, characters, side quests and more.

Spoiler

VYnQCIRh.jpg

1l1YpELh.jpg

2GkfYArh.jpg

0jbHSxGh.jpg

dqbey41h.jpg

kqMpT8oh.jpg

nYRro3th.jpg

0C9siNlh.jpg

41g3qZKh.jpg

rZt3fwfh.jpg

OFyJ7uyh.jpg

D8E4krxh.jpg

hHaTqvqh.jpg

SWzcpI8h.jpg

zPa5NNlh.jpg

S7aPOqPh.jpg

jZo4k95h.jpg

nvBgcQSh.jpg

5WezXmZh.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Once again, don't open the spoiler below if you plan on playing BOTW ever and you don't want to be spoiled. This is a picture recap of my journey and it contains spoilers to the final boss, characters, side quests and more.

I know what I won't be opening anytime soon. :D 

Anyways, congrats on completing the story of BotW, I've swapped out your pictures.

42 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

I know what I won't be opening anytime soon. :D 

Anyways, congrats on completing the story of BotW, I've swapped out your pictures.

Good choice. First I thought about posting them in the Zelda section without the final boss but then I figured many other pics can spoil so much... Text, what certain areas look like, what game mechanics there are and so on, I figured almost every picture could be considered a spoiler.

To reward you for holding back, here's a very awesome and not-really-spoiler image:

jZo4k95h.jpg

Edit: @xFalionx Looking at the games I could possibly play in April, I'd like to change my vote from "without"E"" to "three words or more".

If E still wins, I might just use Õkami HD but I'd rather use Shovel Knight: Shovel Of Hope or Blaster Master Zero or Shadow Of The Beast or whatever.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

Good choice. First I thought about posting them in the Zelda section without the final boss but then I figured many other pics can spoil so much... Text, what certain areas look like, what game mechanics there are and so on, I figured almost every picture could be considered a spoiler.

To reward you for holding back, here's a very awesome and not-really-spoiler image:

<image>

Yeah, I want to know as little as possible about the game before I start it, I figured that I'll have the best experience that way. That's pretty true though, pics are almost always a spoiler in some way. For example that one with you riding an elk, I'd have considered a spoiler because that was a pretty big surprise. Me personally, you can't really spoil with the locations because I already figured that there'd be your average Zelda locations like a forest, a desert, a volcano and/or a mountain, a large body of water, maybe throw in some snow or a floating city. I'm pretty surprised by the size of that volcano area though. That looks like a square kilometer of lava terrain on your screenshot. ^_^ 

Edit: @xFalionx Looking at the games I could possibly play in April, I'd like to change my vote from "without"E"" to "three words or more".

If E still wins, I might just use Õkami HD but I'd rather use Shovel Knight: Shovel Of Hope or Blaster Master Zero or Shadow Of The Beast or whatever.

Sure, I've noted that change. It's pretty stupid that you can't really do that yourself anymore with the new polls.