Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

So since I've been racking my brains, for about 4 days, trying to decide on a game to play, I've 100% The Vanishing of Ethan Carter in the meantime since it's quite short. I've also earned a hell of a load of trophies in Minecraft PlayStation 3 Edition.

This game is massively artistic and the play time was twice as long due to me taking screenshots:P I would write a little review but there isn't much I could say about it without spoiling it for people who haven't played it yet, but I will say one thing, the twist at the end is something you probably wouldn't see coming.

Here are some screenshots for you all to look at:

anQQtQ2h.jpg

fr72AJL.jpg

J30Ogoe.jpg

Stat Changes:

Platinums - No Change

100% - 14 (+1)

Percentage - 76.74%

Also, I'd like to change my vote from games without an E to games with three or more words as my game collection is literally full of E's haha:facepalm:

Edited by RizzleAbbey12
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

I just bought a Vita, is it in the same style as Guacamelee?

While also made by Drinkbox, the gameplay is different. It's a 1st person game, dungeon crawler style with Metroidvania elements of backtracking to access new areas with newly obtained skills. The combat is "fruit ninja" style where you swipe the screen to slash with your sword.

It's a beautiful game and one of those hard to put down titles where you continually tell yourself "just one more fight then I'll stop for the night" and then it's 1 o'clock in the morning. I platted it in about 11 hrs of gameplay.  It's free on ps+ this month even though I bought it on sale about 2 weeks before that for just under $5. Absolutely loved it.

Our host with the most, xFalionx, and I have both written about it in the current Kill Your Completion 3.0 event post if you are looking for more info. He played it a little before I did and wrote a lot more so I summarized a bit.

Again, just a great game and an excellent example of what Vita is capable of.  Makes Sony's continued neglect of the console just all the more baffling.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Platinum on Severed so another Artistic star. Wow! You were so right about this being such a great game!

Congrats on getting that platinum star. :) Yeah, Severed is now probably in my top 5 Vita games.

7 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

I just bought a Vita, is it in the same style as Guacamelee?

Pretty much like @Kevvik said. The artstyle is similar with a bit more of a sinister theme, but the gameplay is completely different. You can read my KYC review on the game if you want to know my (by now pretty obvious) opinion on the game, and to learn a bit more about the game. It's really worth playing.

6 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

Got the plat in Talos Principle.

Updated stats:

Platinum Trophies: +2

100% completed: -

Completion: +1.76

Now moving on to Assassin's Creed Unity. Hoping to at least have the story finished before the end of the month.

Congrats on upgrading your rank to platinum. :D Have fun with AC Unity.

4 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

So since I've been racking my brains, for about 4 days, trying to decide on a game to play, I've 100% The Vanishing of Ethan Carter in the meantime since it's quite short. I've also earned a hell of a load of trophies in Minecraft PlayStation 3 Edition.

This game is massively artistic and the play time was twice as long due to me taking screenshots:P I would write a little review but there isn't much I could say about it without spoiling it for people who haven't played it yet, but I will say one thing, the twist at the end is something you probably wouldn't see coming.

Here are some screenshots for you all to look at:

Stat Changes:

Platinums - No Change

100% - 14 (+1)

Percentage - 76.74%

Also, I'd like to change my vote from games without an E to games with three or more words as my game collection is literally full of E's haha:facepalm:

That sure looks impressive, congrats on your gold rank.

Noted. Now that you both switched your votes it's 7 against 10 votes with three or more words in the lead. Yeah, the theme about "E"s is probably the strictest one so far, but I really liked the idea, so I left it as a choice. Overall it shouldn't be impossible to find at least one game without any "E"s in your backlog.

3 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Again, just a great game and an excellent example of what Vita is capable of.  Makes Sony's continued neglect of the console just all the more baffling.

At least it's still doing really well in Japan, but it really is a shame that they've basically abandoned the console in the west by now. It's still my favorite Sony console to this day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xFalionx said:

Noted. Now that you both switched your votes it's 7 against 10 votes with three or more words in the lead. Yeah, the theme about "E"s is probably the strictest one so far, but I really liked the idea, so I left it as a choice. Overall it shouldn't be impossible to find at least one game without any "E"s in your backlog.

No Man's Sky and Outlast have no E in my backlog. NMS, Lords of the Fallen, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor all fit the one currently in the lead, so either way I have no shortage of games for April.

Edited by ShogunCroCop
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Yeah, the theme about "E"s is probably the strictest one so far, but I really liked the idea, so I left it as a choice. Overall it shouldn't be impossible to find at least one game without any "E"s in your backlog.

The "E"s one is a pretty cool idea to have one here and yeah that's true as I do have a couple of games without an E. But looking at my collection, most of the games I have that I have had the longest in my backlog have an E in so I just thought I should play those first haha:P Thanks for changing my stats:)

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Awesome game, I've been advising people to play that ever since I played it myself. Best interactive walking fiction I played, it helps that it has some cool puzzles.

I know right:shakefist: I didn't actually like the game when I first played it for about 20 minutes, but when I went back to it the next day, I really liked it and loved the story and puzzles:)

• Like 1

Finally I'm submitting a game for March: Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution.

Why this game could be considered "artistic":

1) Plenty of game's menus features drawings in backgrounds made in Japanese artstyle (they're reference to Naruto series too, but it's still art);

2) Ultimate Jutsu cutscenes. LIking them or not, they're usually cinematographical (some of them are a bit dull - ironically one of them is Deidara's with his "Explosive Art"... :rolleyes: - but most of them are delightful). Here's a video for reference (obviously this video is not mine, I don't know to edit video... :giggle: - and actually these cutscenes are better WITHOUT anime snapshots...).

Spoiler

If Naruto Revolution being considered eligible, it will also give me a Golden Star for "a game that counts towars a different PSNP event" ("A Casual Attack on Your Backlog").

Here's my updated status:

Spoiler

Stats before the event:

Platinum trophies: 143

100% completed: 116

Completion: 68.63%

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +13

100% completed: +11

Completion: +1.75%

Edited by JoaoQuique
  • Like 1

@xFalionx Well, the KYC3 has finally caught up to my completion percentage. Was at 50,88% at the start, I'm on 50,73% now, meaning +0,04% from the start of this event.

My percentage will drop some more this month because I'm also playing Ultratron, This War Of Mine and Õkami, all of which take a lot of time and planning to get trophies (which I am not going to do, I'm going in blind). It's more important for me that I finally play the story of some of these backlog games though, my percentage will get back up thanks to me not just buying a lot of games any more and actually starting to finish the ones I dove years ago.

• Like 1

Turns out there was a recent change that only allows 75 emoticons per post. Since the main post uses about 200+ emoticons, it looks pretty messed up now. T.T

I guess I'll have to upload the emoticons on Imgur or and post them like that unless there also is an image limit now, but that will have to wait for now as I'm not really in the mood for replacing hundreds of emoticons which have been turned into text...

10 hours ago, JoaoQuique said:

Finally I'm submitting a game for March: Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution.

Why this game could be considered "artistic":

1) Plenty of game's menus features drawings in backgrounds made in Japanese artstyle (they're reference to Naruto series too, but it's still art);

2) Ultimate Jutsu cutscenes. LIking them or not, they're usually cinematographical (some of them are a bit dull - ironically one of them is Deidara's with his "Explosive Art"... :rolleyes: - but most of them are delightful). Here's a video for reference (obviously this video is not mine, I don't know to edit video... :giggle: - and actually these cutscenes are better WITHOUT anime snapshots...).

Reveal hidden contents

If Naruto Revolution being considered eligible, it will also give me a Golden Star for "a game that counts towars a different PSNP event" ("A Casual Attack on Your Backlog").

Here's my updated status:

Hide contents

Stats before the event:

Platinum trophies: 143

100% completed: 116

Completion: 68.63%

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +13

100% completed: +11

Completion: +1.75%

Well, I'd say this is cutting it pretty close but I'll accept it as artistic because some of these Ultimate Jutsus look pretty fancy, and because Naruto as a whole has a really artistic background, taking inspiration from various parts of Japanese folklore for most of the story and its characters, and after all there's a character who literally fights using art, so congrats on your new platinum rank and golden challenge star. 

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

@xFalionx Well, the KYC3 has finally caught up to my completion percentage. Was at 50,88% at the start, I'm on 50,73% now, meaning +0,04% from the start of this event.

My percentage will drop some more this month because I'm also playing Ultratron, This War Of Mine and Õkami, all of which take a lot of time and planning to get trophies (which I am not going to do, I'm going in blind). It's more important for me that I finally play the story of some of these backlog games though, my percentage will get back up thanks to me not just buying a lot of games any more and actually starting to finish the ones I dove years ago.

Congrats on lowering your completion. :P 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Turns out there was a recent change that only allows 75 emoticons per post. Since the main post uses about 200+ emoticons, it looks pretty messed up now. T.T

I guess I'll have to upload the emoticons on Imgur or and post them like that unless there also is an image limit now, but that will have to wait for now as I'm not really in the mood for replacing hundreds of emoticons which have been turned into text...

Dang... I don't know about an image limit but then again I did not know about an emoticon limit either.

Yeah just posting the five trophy emoticons to imgur seems like the easy way out, you can change all the texts at once when you feel like it that way.

19 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Congrats on lowering your completion. :P 

Let it be known that my liking of your post was on this bit, not on the work you'll have to do on the OP.

• Like 1

@xFalionx so, with 100%ing a non-platinum title, we mean without DLC right? :)

Seeing as a platinum without doing the DLC is enough for a :platinum: on the month, but a :gold: is about 100% in a non-plat game, I was guessing that one didn't include DLC either.

Anyway, I played the Playroom today, just so I could get 4 in a month a bit easier (so it also works as "game I would not have touched soon if not for this event) but I realised I didn't know if you wanted DLC as well... Anyway 100% is unobtainable for me in Playroom because one of the DLC requires the PlayStation app while that DLC game does not load up on the app...

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/42016-second-screen-wont-work/

If you decide to allow it (I did get 100% in the main game, and it has a gold equivalent of a platinum trophy which only unlocks after all the others), here's the "platinum" gold trophy to be used as icon for the "only for this event" challenge:

12Sf53a37.png

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

I had a question about the Complete 4 games in one month challenge, and I apologize if this has been asked already.

What is meant by complete? Just the storyline, or 100% of the trophies?

For all challenges you need either a platinum or a 100% with games that have no platinum, , I've asked in my previous post if that 100% means just the main game or every DLC as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

@xFalionx so, with 100%ing a non-platinum title, we mean without DLC right? :)

Seeing as a platinum without doing the DLC is enough for a :platinum: on the month, but a :gold: is about 100% in a non-plat game, I was guessing that one didn't include DLC either.

Anyway, I played the Playroom today, just so I could get 4 in a month a bit easier (so it also works as "game I would not have touched soon if not for this event) but I realised I didn't know if you wanted DLC as well... Anyway 100% is unobtainable for me in Playroom because one of the DLC requires the PlayStation app while that DLC game does not load up on the app...

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/42016-second-screen-wont-work/

If you decide to allow it (I did get 100% in the main game, and it has a gold equivalent of a platinum trophy which only unlocks after all the others), here's the "platinum" gold trophy to be used as icon for the "only for this event" challenge:

12Sf53a37.png

Yeah, it's only about the base game, so you should be fine. Just treat DLCs as if they wouldn't exist for now until I've implemented a use for them in the challenge.

Since I don't know anything about the game you'll have to explain to me what it is that you find artistic about the game before I can make it count towards your challenge and give you your golden star.

4 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

I had a question about the Complete 4 games in one month challenge, and I apologize if this has been asked already.

What is meant by complete? Just the storyline, or 100% of the trophies?

Yeah like @BillyHorrible said, any game that gives you a golden or platinum rank counts towards the challenges, not more, not less. (Actually there was the off rule that standalone DLCs can count towards challenges but not towards ranks, but how often do you come across a case like that?)

I just got the plat in Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters which I think should count towards this theme.  For one, the art in it is all drawn and it's a unique style for an anime styled game, seriously the sprite drawings are gorgeous.  I also found the game a very creative take on a tactical RPG with it being about exorcising ghosts rather than war or conquest like most games in the genre are.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Since I don't know anything about the game you'll have to explain to me what it is that you find artistic about the game before I can make it count towards your challenge and give you your golden star.

Right, I keep forgetting you don't have a PS4 yet...

Well, with The Playroom, you're in for a laugh! B)

The "game" (which is free including all DLC) is basically an interactive participation AR (augmented reality) event which you need a camera for. The brunt of the thing is having little bots "walk" around you on the screen, and react to you (you can kick them away, give them items to play with through your app, suck them into the controller for an internal dance party...)

Spoiler

This is not me, just some picture I found through Google.

the-playroom-dlc-playstation-app.jpg

I only got interested in this game after playing (and getting the platinum in) The Playroom VR, which built on the concept of the adorable little bots, gave them more to do, and had much more real muliplayer games...

Spoiler

It's cool to see where these 'virtual but real' bots came from, even if the sense of wonder wears down quickly for someone who has already played VR (which is much more real, naturally) and there's not much else to do in the game except for AR pong and a single player game where you have an alien connected to your controller, which can destroy buildings and suck up objects. (This game was actually created by Double Fine!)

Spoiler

Again, not me, just an image I found through Google.

maxresdefault.jpg

All in all, the game uses AR in such weird ways that I'd definitely say it has artistic value, it's also fun to see the roots of Playroom VR, the bots of which I absolutely adore.

6 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I just got the plat in Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters which I think should count towards this theme.  For one, the art in it is all drawn and it's a unique style for an anime styled game, seriously the sprite drawings are gorgeous.  I also found the game a very creative take on a tactical RPG with it being about exorcising ghosts rather than war or conquest like most games in the genre are.

Don't forget that you've played it in the "What The Hell Is That Still Doing There" backlog event, so it's another gold star for your "games counting for other events" challenge :D

Also, if @xFalionx counts Playroom as artistic, then I only need one more 100% this month to have four games completed... Hmmmmmmmmm...

KzvHMLI.png

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Well, the artstyle is pretty unique for the genre, kinda reminds me of Steins;Gate a bit. Congrats on your platinum rank in March as well as another challenge star since, as billy mentioned, you did complete that for the other event. :) 

35 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Right, I keep forgetting you don't have a PS4 yet...

Well, with The Playroom, you're in for a laugh! B)

<snip>

Also, if @xFalionx counts Playroom as artistic, then I only need one more 100% this month to have four games completed... Hmmmmmmmmm...

KzvHMLI.png

Yeah, and it will probably still be a while until I get one.

Anyways, I'd say an interactive AR based game like this one has artistic value for sure, so here's another star for you. ^_^

Good luck with your fourth game.

28 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Yeah, and it will probably still be a while until I get one.

Anyways, I'd say an interactive AR based game like this one has artistic value for sure, so here's another star for you. ^_^

Good luck with your fourth game.

Problem might be more that I keep forgetting Playroom was only on PS4 as well and wasn't already a PS3 thing...

As for the fourth... I might be tempted to de Ultratron as my fourth, which is my "wednesday-friday" game for KYC3 this week, but I don't know if I want to commit to that grind.

I still have the three Doodles on PS3 from when they were free for a while, I could just open one of those and complete it real quick.

I could also just try to go for the Kung Fury completion, just need to get a liiiittle bit better.

HOWEVER, that sale that was tempting me is still going for two days...

Telltale Batman for €12

Among The Sleep €5

Headlander €7

TYPE:RIDER €4

INSIDE €8

Wheels Of Aurelia €6

Firewatch €10

Hue €5

The Witness €15

At least one of those should be an easy completion, right? Tempted to buy a couple since I've been very nice these past few months, haven't bought anything this year yet except for the DLC for Witcher III, and during the last sale Kung Fury and Four Sided Fantasy, both of which I've already played through.

Perhaps just Hue, Wheels Of Aurelia and TYPE:RIDER... Telltale Batman and Among The Sleep are the two games I'm interested in the least but the rest I definitely want at some point.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

HOWEVER, that sale that was tempting me is still going for two days...

Telltale Batman for €12 - Totally worth it if you like TellTale or Batman, I completed it in just over 7hrs (17th of PS4 fastest)

Among The Sleep €5 - Creepy as balls, but not sure on how easy it is

Headlander €7

TYPE:RIDER €4

INSIDE €8 - Very much like Limbo. If there is no speed run then it will be an easy 100%

Wheels Of Aurelia €6 - Very simplistic art deco style and yes easy to complete

Firewatch €10 - Looks stunning and not too bad on the completion aspect, may take a little longer

Hue €5

The Witness €15 - Jonathan Blow is a master of creating puzzles to kill braincells. Unless you follow a guide this will be hard as hell

I will Wheels of Aurelia onto my list a little later this month.

Also, I completed Actual Sunlight for an extra game this month. Hopefully will have 4 this month too, maybe one from KYC will make it on here too (The Swapper)...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Psy-Tychist said:

I will Wheels of Aurelia onto my list a little later this month.

Also, I completed Actual Sunlight for an extra game this month. Hopefully will have 4 this month too, maybe one from KYC will make it on here too (The Swapper)...

If I may give some advice on The Swapper: don't use a full walkthrough. The trophies are all related to secret areas you can find (and won't find without a guide, most likely) so the best thing to do is to get a text only, trophy only guide and just read which room you need to be in before reading all of the next trophy pointer.

Great game, very artistic, very cool (and please finish the story even if it doesn't matter for the trophies).

• Like 1

So, I bought Hue, TYPE:RIDER and INSIDE in the end. I really wanted to play Hue and INSIDE a lot since I found out about them, I just thought the original prices were too high, and I felt like trying TYPE:RIDER ever since I found out about it (I'm a sucker for unique platformers) but I felt like the original price for that one was asking too much as well.

I immediately started on Hue and I really liked it so I went on to 100% it (only one missable trophy, for a couple of collectables) And I'm ninth on the quickest completions list even though I paused the game to take the dog on a long walk, have dinner and watch an episode of Archer so I guess not many people have played it in one go.

The point in Hue is to do some platforming. The twist: you can choose the background color of the level, and anything that is the same color stops existing until you change the background to a different color. It's a fun idea that's executed very well - you start with just one color and get a new one during each world, so you gradually get more colors to choose from - and with it, bigger and more difficult levels.

I really enjoyed the game. Just like The Bridge and Thomas Was Alone, this is a platformer with a twist that also tries to go for a deep background story. Though it worked for Thomas Was Alone, I feel that both with The Bridge and with Hue, this "oh we're so deep" story gets a bit in the way of enjoying the actual platforming, moreso with Hue because its story is told in long halls where there's nothing to do than walk and listen, and hope you reach the actual next level soon.

All in all though, for €5 Hue is an excellent game for people into puzzle platformers. It might start off a bit too easy but it's got a nice learning curve and you will have to sit down and think about your best approach a few times towards the end.

The sale ends after today people so if you still want Hue for €5 instead of €15 or if there's something else that fancies you, don't wait too long!

@xFalionx, so I got 100% in Hue, and the platforming twist of choosing a background color to make stuff blend in is definitely artistic. I'd have played it soon anyways but I definitely played through it and 100%ed it right this month so I'd have something fun to do as my fourth 100% of the month, so this game also counts for the "wouldn't have 100%ed soon if not for this event". Seeing as this is an excellent game while Playroom was more of an AR experiment, I'd rather use Hue as the image for that challenge - also nice because the trophy for completing the story is a rainbow flag.

10S9f4a60.png

Also, as said before this is the fourth game I 100% this month - Kitten Squad, Snipperclips, the base game of Playroom and two DLC, and Hue:

a7wBiOd.png

I noticed that both Hue and Playroom had dark backgrounds so I'm not keeping the icon for the four games challenge chronological.

I might just play through the stories of both TYPE:RIDER and INSIDE this month but I'm not going for the 100%s right away (probably), so I think I'm done for this month in this event.

Current completion percentage: 50,85%, or +0,17% from my starting stat of 50,68%. I have Ultratron, This War Of Mine and Õkami HD to go for KYC3 so I feel like I'll probably not get under my starting stat for this event.

So I've got the rest of the year to think about how the hell I'm going to 100% a game made before 2006...

• Like 1

I've finished Oddworld and I'm declaring it as artistic, so that means I get to give myself a golden star for the month, another one for completing my fourth game this month, and yet another golden star on my pile for other events. :D 

I feel like the unique creatures inhabiting the world could be considered artistic, my main point is the story though. I can't go into it because anything about the artistic part would spoil the game but in my opinion there are some very artistic aspects about it.

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

@xFalionx, so I got 100% in Hue, and the platforming twist of choosing a background color to make stuff blend in is definitely artistic. I'd have played it soon anyways but I definitely played through it and 100%ed it right this month so I'd have something fun to do as my fourth 100% of the month, so this game also counts for the "wouldn't have 100%ed soon if not for this event". Seeing as this is an excellent game while Playroom was more of an AR experiment, I'd rather use Hue as the image for that challenge - also nice because the trophy for completing the story is a rainbow flag.

10S9f4a60.png

Also, as said before this is the fourth game I 100% this month - Kitten Squad, Snipperclips, the base game of Playroom and two DLC, and Hue:

a7wBiOd.png

Hue is artistic for sure, that's another golden star for the month, a golden star for your challenge and the completion of the 4 games challenge for you, congrats on that. ^_^ 

So I've got the rest of the year to think about how the hell I'm going to 100% a game made before 2006...

Either you pick one that has one of these handy % counters at each save slot, or you go for a remaster or something like that. There's quite a sizable selection of games to play for that challenge actually.

Edited by xFalionx

1 minute ago, xFalionx said:

Either you pick one that has one of these handy % counters at each save slot, or you go for a remaster or something like that. There's quite a sizable selection of games to play for that challenge actually.

Nothing I already have in my backlog and actually wanted to play, though. Only thing I can think of is the percentage counters on the Donkey Kong Countries but no way I'm ever 101%ing those, and getting all exits in Super Mario World (which has an exit counter near the save file) but I stopped last time I played because of one exit which is now impossible for me to get thanks to lesser reflexes.

• Like 1