Dirt 4 announced, coming June 2017

crimsonidol38

OtQu6z2.jpg

Overview

Systems: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC

Release Date: June 2017

Official announcement (from Codemasters' blog):

Today, we’re delighted to announce that DiRT 4 will fearlessly race to PS4, Xbox One and Windows PC in June 2017. Hot on the heels of 2016’s critically and commercially successful DiRT Rally, DiRT 4 takes the passion and authenticity of off-road racing to the next level, whilst also re-introducing you all to white-knuckle truck and buggy racing in Landrush. For a flavour of what’s to come, you can take a look at our announcement trailer right here:

Motorsport by its very nature is dangerous – it says so on the back of the ticket. DiRT 4 is all about embracing that danger. It’s about the thrill, exhilaration and adrenaline that is absolutely vital to off-road racing. And more than that, it’s about loving that feeling. It’s about pushing flat out next to a sheer cliff drop. Going for the gap that’s slightly too small. Seeing how much air you can get in a truck. They call it ‘being fearless’ – and this is what we aim to inspire in DiRT 4.

DiRT 4 features a game-changing system called Your Stage; an innovative rally route creation tool that allows you to produce an almost-infinite number of unique stages at the press of a button. You choose your location and set the route parameters, then Your Stage does the hard work to create a unique rally stage that you can race, share with your friends, and then challenge them to beat your time. Your Stage allows experienced rally players to create longer, more technical routes, whilst newcomers can create simpler shorter routes as they hone their skills.

With DiRT 4, we’ve sought to combine the levels of thrill and realism from last year’s DiRT Rally with the fearless excitement, fun, and adrenaline-fuelled races previously seen in its critically acclaimed prequels DiRT 2 and DiRT 3.

Featuring classic rally racing that continues to build on the foundations set by the Colin McRae Rally games, the brutal, fast-paced racing from the official FIA World Rallycross Championship, the crazy battles of racing trucks and buggies, and the outrageous fun of open events in Joyride, players will face challenges from locations that span three continents. We can’t wait to tell you more of DiRT 4, so stay tuned for the road to launch – we’ve got so much to show you.

Source: http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/01/announcing-dirt-4/

4 things you need to know about Dirt 4, coming soon to PS4 (from PlayStation Blog):

1. Your Stage

As the saying goes, ‘a circuit driver sees the same corner a thousand times, but a rally driver sees a thousand different corners’ – and that’s the experience Dirt 4 aims to recreate.

While our Career Mode rally routes are replayable and carefully curated to challenge a driver’s ever-growing skill-set, players will also have access to a new feature called Your Stage. A game changer for racing, Your Stage is an incredibly cool tool that means that the robotic nature of learning a stage will be a thing of the past.

Your Stage is our very own route generator that allows players to create stages to their own specification, giving you all sorts of options with regards to length, complexity and time of day. At the push of the button, you can generate a stage that no-one will have ever seen before – and with over a billion possible stages across five different locations, the possibilities are near infinite.

These tracks can then be shared with friends online too, so you can create a track, throw down a time and challenge your buddies to beat it. We might also have a few special guests setting some extra-special challenges further down the line…

2. Dirt 4 was developed with real-life racing drivers

At Codemasters, we pride ourselves on providing the most authentic representation of motorsport possible, which is why when developing the game, we called in top-flight rally driver Kris Meeke along with former Rally champ and two-time World Rallycross Champion, Petter Solberg, to help us nail down the feeling of driving these amazing cars around a blind bend at breakneck speed.

Petter and Kris came to the development studio to consult and assist with the handling aspects of Dirt 4 – and thanks to their years of world-class Rally and Rallycross experience, Dirt 4’s feel and handling has been taken to the next level. Petter’s son (and motorsport champion of the future) Oliver Solberg also helped us with the handling and behavior of the crosskarts, which will be new to the DiRT franchise this year!

Even the voices in Dirt 4 are authentic to the motorsport experience – with rally co-driver, commentator, and motorsport presenter Jen Horsey playing the role of Rally school instructor and co-driver for US players. UK players will hear the distinctive Welsh accent of Colin McRae’s old co-driver Nicky Grist, who you might remember from a certain Colin McRae Rally series. You can obviously choose whichever you want.

3. There are more US locations than ever before

The new game brings a whole host of American locations to Dirt, so there’s plenty of road to get your teeth into. Michigan is one of the five Rally stage locations, while Nevada, California, and Baja in Mexico also make their Dirt game debuts as truck and buggy racing makes a return in Landrush.

The new DirtFish Rally School in Washington will also host your first few steps as a racing driver, where Jen Horsey will teach you all of the tips and tricks you’ll need to confidently throw your car around a stage. The school also doubles as a free practice zone for all of your vehicle-tuning needs, where you’ll instantly be able to test new vehicles and new setups.

Not only that, but our new Joyride mode will also allow you to take on Lap Time and Smash the Blocks challenges around the Rally School’s grounds – so if you’re into donuts, there will be a place you can shred your wheels to your heart’s content.

4. Be fearless

Dirt 4’s all about the adrenaline rush, the thrill, and the danger of off-road racing – and more than that, it’s about loving that exhilaration. Whether you’re pushing flat out on the side of a cliff, or seeing how much air you can get in a truck, Dirt 4 is about driving forward in the face of adversity, as fast as you can. They call it ‘being fearless.

With our new technology, added realism, expanded content and multiplayer modes, Dirt 4’s set to be our biggest and boldest Dirt game yet. The only question is: are you brave enough?

Source: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/01/26/4-things-you-need-to-know-about-dirt-4-coming-soon-to-ps4/

Trailer

Spoiler

Screenshots / Promo Images

Spoiler

32464643706_7646effa3b_b.jpg

32126670350_80d333ae42_b.jpg32126670260_14d636c40d_b.jpg

To make it short:
- Game seems like a continuation from Dirt 3 and will feature most-likely the same modes.

- Biggest addition will be a mode that sounds like a track edtior called Your Stage

It's time to get back to Dirt 3 and finish it. :shakefist:

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 3

that's great news. the dirt franchise has been fantastic so far. hell, i even enjoyed dirt showdown. just a shame they abandoned all their non-racing franchises. i agree, stick to what you're good at, but i'd kill for a new overlord or operation flashpoint.

that being said, bring on dirt 4!

Awesome news! DiRT 2 was absolutely amazing and both DiRT Showdown and DiRT 3 were really fun as well. I got DiRT Rally on launch but only played it for about 1-2 hours and never got back to it yet. I'm still going to buy this new game though, I'm pretty excited. In the mean time, I might go back and play some more DiRT Rally.

Awesome. Dirt Rally is probably the best rally game I've ever played and I've read this game will have the option for even more realistic physics, I can't wait to try them out for myself. 2017 is turning into a fantastic year for racing games.

Parker

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ElBolovo said:

I would like a new Grid more, but I'm not complaining. I hope there is less focus on Gymkhana disciplines tough.

A new Grid would be nice, too. I have only played Grid 2 and the first TOCA-games (the ones on PS1) but I always enjoyed them more than the rallye games by Codemasters.

On a sidenote:

I updated the OP with the information that is now available on the official PlayStation Blog which e.g. gives some information about new US locations being added.

12 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

A new Grid would be nice, too. I have only played Grid 2 and the first TOCA-games (the ones on PS1) but I always enjoyed them more than the rallye games by Codemasters.

On a sidenote:

I updated the OP with the information that is now available on the official PlayStation Blog which e.g. gives some information about new US locations being added.

If you liked Grid 2, you will love Grid: Autosports, give it a try If you have the chance. 

Seeing the update, the career is looking like of the first Dirt, the best one in career path and event types in my opinion. I just reserved 60 Bucks to get this game in day one :)

2 hours ago, ElBolovo said:

If you liked Grid 2, you will love Grid: Autosports, give it a try If you have the chance. 

I'm interested in getting a copy since I platted Grid 2 actually. But due to the online grind I would prefer the download but it hasn't been on discount since July in the EU-region (got my Grid 2-plat in August).

23 minutes ago, Mar said:

Im still waiting for GRIP to release on PS4, and I need to play Trackmania Turbo.

Is the Dirt franchise THAT good?

Pretty much. The first 3 have a good mix between realism and fun gameplay, although 3 has Gymkhana disciplines (tricks) that I didn't care much about. After the first 3, there is Dirt Showdown that is kinda of a black sheep, because it's more of a party game and Dirt Rally that is a full blown simulation, brutal and unforgiving. If you have the patience to learn to play properly, you are in for a treat.

In another note, good luck with Trackmania Turbo, it's HARD but it's one of the most satisfying games I played in this decade, my last year's GOTY for sure.

3 hours ago, ElBolovo said:

Pretty much. The first 3 have a good mix between realism and fun gameplay, although 3 has Gymkhana disciplines (tricks) that I didn't care much about. After the first 3, there is Dirt Showdown that is kinda of a black sheep, because it's more of a party game and Dirt Rally that is a full blown simulation, brutal and unforgiving. If you have the patience to learn to play properly, you are in for a treat.

In another note, good luck with Trackmania Turbo, it's HARD but it's one of the most satisfying games I played in this decade, my last year's GOTY for sure.

That makes it sound like a top tier racer. You made it sound worthwhile.

Didnt think TMT would be that hard. Damn what an UR plat that is.

@Parker Thank you for the gameplay videos. Really excited to play on the Australian stages, as they're probably as similar to NZ stages we'll ever get in a game. By the looks of the gameplay the stages seem to be more constructed like the stages in Dirt Rally than the other Dirt games which is awesome :). Heck, even the Buggies look somewhat fun, despite being my least favorite discipline in the previous games (Yeah, I liked it even less than Gymkhana)

Suppose that means we won't be getting any Dirt Rally DLC then, which is a bit of a shame as that game really could've used a bit of additional content.

• 2 months later...