Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

3 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Having King K Rool turn up in Smash obviously means Nintendo has the rights

I don't think that's necessarily true.  Smash has characters like Cloud and Ryu, among others, which are definitely not Nintendo property.  I'm sure they paid some kind of handsome licensing fee to use these characters just in this game.  EDIT: Obviously I dunno if that applies to K Rool but just being in Smash doesn't necessarily imply anything.

Edited by Dreakon13

18 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I'd say the game is still worth it just for a full playthrough solo, and to play occasionally with people in real life instead of over the internet.

Ah, you're assuming I have anyone to play with lol I imagine the most fun way to play Mario Kart is on the couch with a bunch of friends, but unfortunately I doubt I'll experience that now. Maybe I'll pick it up when I'm feeling rich then, or if I ever catch a sale. Cheers for the replys.

7 minutes ago, Asvinia said:

Ah, you're assuming I have anyone to play with lol I imagine the most fun way to play Mario Kart is on the couch with a bunch of friends, but unfortunately I doubt I'll experience that now. Maybe I'll pick it up when I'm feeling rich then, or if I ever catch a sale. Cheers for the replys.

Nah, it's an either/or :) I think it's worth it if you do a solo playthrough, and I think it's worth it if you buy it just to occasionally play with others.

By the by, if online is dead... There's more than enough people in this thread with Mario Kart 8 on their Switch. I don't know how many will pay for online, but my guess is if you feel like putting together a group for Mario Kart, a few people will join in from time to time. If I end up buying Nintendo online (seems unlikely right now), I will join in for sure.

Also by the by, there's Fast RMX if you're in for a bit more serious racing. In short, it's not too expensive and it's the F-Zero of today.

• Like 1

New sales are up!

Membrane is half off. Haven't completed it yet but it's fun and weird.

Goetia is 75% off. Have only done the first half hour or so but I loved what I played, great game.

Manticore - Galaxy On Fire is 39% off. Kind of a Rogue Squadron vibe, bit lower production standards but since EA refuses to give a crap about Star Wars...

Owlboy is 40% off. Will this be the time @MosesRockefeller gets it?

Death Squared is 40% off. Recommended with all my heart, only game I bought on PS4 after already having bought it on Switch.

Bulb Boy is 40% off. It's a cool and weird puzzle point and click.

... And loads of other games I can't comment on. See for yourself on psprices.com or in the eShop!

New sales are up!

Membrane is half off. Haven't completed it yet but it's fun and weird.

Goetia is 75% off. Have only done the first half hour or so but I loved what I played, great game.

Manticore - Galaxy On Fire is 39% off. Kind of a Rogue Squadron vibe, bit lower production standards but since EA refuses to give a crap about Star Wars...

Owlboy is 40% off. Will this be the time @MosesRockefeller gets it?

Death Squared is 40% off. Recommended with all my heart, only game I bought on PS4 after already having bought it on Switch.

Bulb Boy is 40% off. It's a cool and weird puzzle point and click.

... And loads of other games I can't comment on. See for yourself on psprices.com or in the eShop!

I thought I mentioned, but I got Owlboy the last time it was on sale. I can't remember if it was 40% though, that's pretty good! Anyway, I haven't played it yet.

I'll add my voice to the Death Squared recommendations.

26 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I thought I mentioned, but I got Owlboy the last time it was on sale. I can't remember if it was 40% though, that's pretty good! Anyway, I haven't played it yet.

Yeah, I guess you did tell that. Must've forgot since I haven't yet heard your opinion on the game :-)

26 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'll add my voice to the Death Squared recommendations.

Yeah! Everybody buy Death Squared!

6 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

No, you just shouldn't expect me to remember what games you've bought without playing yet B)

Fair enough. At this point you can probably just assume I haven't played most of my purchases, and you wouldn't be wrong most of the time!

Also, your new name reminded me to ask... is there a cool cinematic cutscene of BillyHorrible being assassinated, with him stumbling around talking about how his death accomplishes nothing and won't stop the Templars' grand plot?

There's a new Pokémon Let's Go trailer, designed to start with appealing to the older fans...

... Got to say, I'm kind of warming up to the idea of these games.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, your new name reminded me to ask... is there a cool cinematic cutscene of BillyHorrible being assassinated, with him stumbling around talking about how his death accomplishes nothing and won't stop the Templars' grand plot?

BillyHorrible wasn't assassinated, sorry to disappoint you. 

13 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

BillyHorrible wasn't assassinated, sorry to disappoint you. 

Oh, so the "resquiescat in pace " in your profile is talking about his death due to natural causes? :P

I just grabbed Okami HD on the store. I bought it on PS3 years ago, and never actually played it. On the Switch, I'm much more likely to actually play and finish it. It also has unique Joy-con and touchscreen controls, and the $20 price tag didn't hurt!

16 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh, so the "resquiescat in pace " in your profile is talking about his death due to natural causes? :P

Termination due to fluctuation of the denomination, actually.

16 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I just grabbed Okami HD on the store. I bought it on PS3 years ago, and never actually played it. On the Switch, I'm much more likely to actually play and finish it. It also has unique Joy-con and touchscreen controls, and the $20 price tag didn't hurt!

I have it on PS3, I wanted to love it but didn't. I'm willing to give it another go some time from now.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:32 PM, Lucas said:

So I've just decided that I'm going to buy a Nintendo Switch :D. I'm thinking of getting the console with Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8 and Octopath Traveler. Any recommendations on games and/or accessories I should buy other than the ones I mentioned?

I recommend Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The battle system is so much fun and exploring places is compelling. The story is quite good too. Spent over 220 hours on the game myself and I haven't even bought the season pass with extra content.

Edited by Eyjabria

If you like old school beat 'em ups like Streets of Rage and Double Dragon, go buy Raging Justice while it's on sale right the feck now.

Game is fantastic, one of the most fun beat 'em ups I've played yet. The final level is hecka hard but otherwise the bulk of the game is pretty standard affair. The animation style and visual look is absolutely fantastic, it simultaneously looks like it's a 90s fighter with FMV style animations but it's also way smoother and very high def looking. It's like if the look of the Street Fighter movie game was made with today's kind of tech, it's got *that* kind of look, but it's a lot more smooth and just, not shitty. 

Game play wise it's ace. Square is punch, triangle is kick (whatever, I play on PS4, Xbox, and Switch, I just memorize the PS buttons), X is jump and circle is grab / throw / use. There's I think 9 levels, each of which can usually be done in around 5 minutes, aside from the last level they'll all be a good chunk under 10. There's 3 different dudes to play as, each with slightly different styles and supers, etc. and each level has a bunch of challenges like smash 4 guys into the fish tank, arrest 5 people, etc. that will keep you coming back again and again if you're after that sweet, sweet 100%, not to mention the high scores and whatnot.

Game is ooooooozing with late 80s - mid 90s fighter style, absolutely gorgeous and a blast to play. Like I said, one of the most fun beat 'em ups I've ever played, cannot recommend enough for just over 10 bucks at the moment on sale. 

Finally got my games today. For some reason they weren't delivered yesterday so I was quite disappointed by that. Now I'm happy though as I can finally try everything out now :D!

On 8-8-2018 at 9:29 PM, angelgrievous said:

Nice.  Welcome to the family.  If you're looking for accessory/controller suggestions I'd like to point you to the 8bitdo SN30 Pro Controller.  It's a fantastic controller that I've been using while playing Octopath.  It feels great playing a throwback JRPG with a throwback controller.  I don't have a pro controller so I just use this thing.  It's pretty nice.  

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'll stick with the Joycons and eventually get a Pro Controller though. I'm usually not that big of a fan of controllers like this, plus there's no webshop here that has this controller in stock :P.

On 8-8-2018 at 10:17 PM, Ezio Auditore said:

Nice, enjoy!

Remember: screen protector (glass preferably), pro controller, travelling bag/case!

Any Zelda is self-contained, even the rare few that are direct sequels to other Zelda games (of which Breath Of The Wild isn't one). They're (almost) all legends of a hero reincarnated to fight the evil reincarnated, so feel free to go through them in any order you feel like. You'll find familiar themes, areas, occasionally even people, but most games are generations apart from each other, and there's even different timelines, which you'll only really figure out if you get it explained to you outside of the games.

Basically, any Zelda game is a separate entity with a few reused pieces, and Breath Of The Wild, being the most recent iteration, is as good a place to start as any.

Thanks :D. Yeah, I'll definitely get those accessories :P. The pro controllers seems to go on sale here relatively often though, so I think I'll wait on a sale for that one.

Awesome, good to know. Breath of the Wild is definitely high up on my wishlist then.

46 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I recommend Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The battle system is so much fun and exploring places is compelling. The story is quite good too. Spent over 220 hours on the game myself and I haven't even bought the season pass with extra content.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks awesome but isn't that a direct sequel to the other games? I haven't played any games in the Xeno series and I don't want to miss out on stuff of course :P.

Edited by Lucas

1 hour ago, ViceroyVirus said:

Why have a thread like this about nintendo stuff on a playstation dedicated website?

Because the forums weren't created to solely talk about PlayStation? That's like asking why do we talk about sports or share artwork on the site on this site. The forums were literally made to talk about anything. That's why we have different sections to discuss these things. Owning a PlayStation console (or ID) is just the common denominator between all of us.

1 minute ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Because the forums weren't created to solely talk about PlayStation? That's like asking why do we talk about sports or share artwork on the site on this site. The forums were literally made to talk about anything. That's why we have different sections to discuss these things. Owning a PlayStation console (or ID) is just the common denominator between all of us.

Alright, then I see. I just figured it's a bit odd. I wouldn't expect a samsung thread on an apple forum or vice versa for example. I myself wouldn't think about creating a thread that is not associated with playstation here. But I never hang around forums that much, don't really know how it usually goes:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ViceroyVirus said:

Alright, then I see. I just figured it's a bit odd. I wouldn't expect a samsung thread on an apple forum or vice versa for example. I myself wouldn't think about creating a thread that is not associated with playstation here. But I never hang around forums that much, don't really know how it usually goes:)

I see your point and can understand why you find it odd from that perspective. Though, many people here own multiple consoles so it's not like the forums is flooded with a bunch of Sony fanboys who only care about PlayStation.

Honestly, I like the fact that we can discuss these things and that the site encourages it!

Termination due to fluctuation of the denomination, actually.

That's what he gets for changing from a Baptist to a Southern Baptist! That'll learn him.

Hmm, I'm not sure that joke will make sense to a European...

I have it on PS3, I wanted to love it but didn't. I'm willing to give it another go some time from now.

From what I've heard, it's Zelda-inspired, but then so was Darksiders, and that didn't grab me. I think at the time I tried it, I had already played too many similar games and it was boring. I'm hoping that I have better luck with Okami, since it has a unique gameplay mechanic and takes advantage of the Switch's motion control abilities.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks awesome but isn't that a direct sequel to the other games? I haven't played any games in the Xeno series and I don't want to miss out on stuff of course :P.

I've only played a bit of the first game, but from what I understand, Xenoblade 2 is not a direct sequel. I know it's all new characters. I think it builds on the previous games but not to the extent that you can't jump into it first. That said, I know that @Eyjabria put tons of hours into the game and is more knowledgeable about the series.

9 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That's what he gets for changing from a Baptist to a Southern Baptist! That'll learn him.

Hmm, I'm not sure that joke will make sense to a European...

Not only am I European, I'm actively anti religion. Not that I care to open that can of worms of a discussion here. Y'all can believe whatever you want, as long as it doesn't invade the threads. I just mean that I have no interest or clue about subgroups. Even here in Holland, I would be lost if you'd get more specific than Christian - Protestant - Jehovah's Witness.

I've heard about 'Baptists' before but the only one I can identify is Westboro Baptist because of all the crazy shit.

From what I've heard, it's Zelda-inspired, but then so was Darksiders, and that didn't grab me. I think at the time I tried it, I had already played too many similar games and it was boring. I'm hoping that I have better luck with Okami, since it has a unique gameplay mechanic and takes advantage of the Switch's motion control abilities.

All I remember is a wolf with a paintbrush, and some kind of bug thing bouncing on a woman's tits. I also recall the game starting exceptionally slow.

I think I'm about halfway through Picross S 2 now, by the way. I'm also into the third book of Captain Toad (and I don't move to the next level before doing everything except the speedrun).

6 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Not only am I European, I'm actively anti religion. Not that I care to open that can of worms of a discussion here. Y'all can believe whatever you want, as long as it doesn't invade the threads. I just mean that I have no interest or clue about subgroups. Even here in Holland, I would be lost if you'd get more specific than Christian - Protestant - Jehovah's Witness.

I've heard about 'Baptists' before but the only one I can identify is Westboro Baptist because of all the crazy shit.

I'm not religious either, but I was raised to be, and as you well know, it is pervasive in the USA. I don't want to open the can of worms either, but I took the opportunity to use your choice of language to make a cheap religious joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_denomination

What you may or may not realize, is that there are a million different flavors of Protestants in the USA. For example, the flavor that my parents followed, was an offshoot of Presbyterians, and there are at least 5 of them. The difference basically boil down to things like "women should wear hats in church", "this translation of the Bible is correct, and the rest are bad translations", etc. It's all minor dogmatic differences. So my joke was that somebody would die from trying to keep up with those differences.

One final note, because of all the flavors, I think it would be unfortunate to associate all Baptists with that Westboro church (not that you do, I'm just clarifying). They certainly aren't all that way.

15 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

All I remember is a wolf with a paintbrush, and some kind of bug thing bouncing on a woman's tits. I also recall the game starting exceptionally slow.

I think I'm about halfway through Picross S 2 now, by the way. I'm also into the third book of Captain Toad (and I don't move to the next level before doing everything except the speedrun).

Wha... I knew about the paintbrush, but the rest of your sentence makes it sound like a Suda51 game. Weird!

Nice. You've passed me in Picross S2. IIRC the third book is the final book of Captain Toad. I think there are some bonus levels however.

12 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm not religious either, but I was raised to be, and as you well know, it is pervasive in the USA. I don't want to open the can of worms either, but I took the opportunity to use your choice of language to make a cheap religious joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_denomination

What you may or may not realize, is that there are a million different flavors of Protestants in the USA. For example, the flavor that my parents followed, was an offshoot of Presbyterians, and there are at least 5 of them. The difference basically boil down to things like "women should wear hats in church", "this translation of the Bible is correct, and the rest are bad translations", etc. It's all minor dogmatic differences. So my joke was that somebody would die from trying to keep up with those differences.

I didn't know the term 'religious denomination' so the joke was doubly lost on me. My joke was just a wordy rhyme saying Billy's only dead because I choose different screen names each time now.

Next change is actually coming up, two days and I can swap again.

Religion certainly seems to be more out in the open in the USA, but on the other hand, you don't have Christian holidays off from work. Doesn't matter if you're Jewish, Muslim or an atheist, you're forced to have easter, christmas and ascension off her. It's stupid.

Then again, we're still technically a monarchy. That coupled with religion makes for a good stirring pot of people who are against change.

I think your system with a president for such a huge area is only slightly less archaic, by the way. But if we start that discussion then we won't be done soon, and I still want to game today.

One final note, because of all the flavors, I think it would be unfortunate to associate all Baptists with that Westboro church (not that you do, I'm just clarifying). They certainly aren't all that way.

Yeah, I was raised Catholic, I've been baptised so I know that's just a word. Problem with Westboro is that they're such crazy idiots that even we know that name (at least our generation, which follows American television). 

Wha... I knew about the paintbrush, but the rest of your sentence makes it sound like a Suda51 game. Weird!

Yeah, it was weird. And kind of off-putting.

IIRC the third book is the final book of Captain Toad. I think there are some bonus levels however.

To my knowledge, book three is indeed the last full one, and then it's about half a book of bonus levels.

18 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Religion certainly seems to be more out in the open in the USA, but on the other hand, you don't have Christian holidays off from work. Doesn't matter if you're Jewish, Muslim or an atheist, you're forced to have easter, christmas and ascension off her. It's stupid.

Ascension only seems to be a Catholic thing. I don't think Easter and Christmas are national holidays, but Easter is always on a Sunday, and most of the skilled workforce is off on Sunday. Christmas is a de facto holiday for just about every employer. In any case, most stores are still closed on Easter and Christmas (some grocery stores like Walmart will open on part of Christmas though). It was only a few decades ago that almost everywhere closed each Sunday.

24 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I think your system with a president for such a huge area is only slightly less archaic, by the way. But if we start that discussion then we won't be done soon, and I still want to game today.

You may have a point.

7 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Ascension only seems to be a Catholic thing. I don't think Easter and Christmas are national holidays, but Easter is always on a Sunday, and most of the skilled workforce is off on Sunday. Christmas is a de facto holiday for just about every employer. In any case, most stores are still closed on Easter and Christmas (some grocery stores like Walmart will open on part of Christmas though). It was only a few decades ago that almost everywhere closed each Sunday.

You may have a point.

Sunday is the first day of two days of easter, and we get the monday off, except for all-week jobs like nurses and bus drivers and such.

I am seeing a change, though, with some supermarkets not even closing any more for christmas. Bring the change.

Okay, back to Switching.

I've played a bit of The Fractured But Whole now and the loading is kind of obvious, but otherwise it's a very well-done port.

Captain Toad is more entertaining than I thought it would be. Money well spent.

Seriously people, buy Death Squared if you haven't already.

Thinking about what games in my backlog are super short and really should be experienced (and done with). I'm guessing Binaries, Agatha Knife, Mario Tennis Aces and others are pretty short. And all Banner Sagas are under ten hours but then again I'm already working on those.

22 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Okay, back to Switching.

I've played a bit of The Fractured But Whole now and the loading is kind of obvious, but otherwise it's a very well-done port.

Captain Toad is more entertaining than I thought it would be. Money well spent.

Seriously people, buy Death Squared if you haven't already.

Thinking about what games in my backlog are super short and really should be experienced (and done with). I'm guessing Binaries, Agatha Knife, Mario Tennis Aces and others are pretty short. And all Banner Sagas are under ten hours but then again I'm already working on those.

It's nice to Switch things up (man, that should have been a marketing campaign - "It's Time to Switch Things Up, With Nintendo Switch!").

For Rayman Legends, I gave up (at least for now) on the "8-bit" world remix levels. The Eye of the Tiger one is too frustrating for me. I can make it to the (first of probably many) alternating dragon/worms, where you have to avoid the spiked one by jumping over it and only touching the non-spiked one. I had lots of trouble getting the timing down on the regular version of the level for that part, and doing it again with reduced visual clarity? No, this is not my idea of fun. Right now I'm going through the Murphy's Touch stages, and enjoying them a lot. That said, it's harder to get 100% in those levels than I originally thought. Globox is pretty dumb, so getting him to grab all the Lums (either the loose ones, the ones from hitting enemies, or from freeing Teensies) is tricky. Still, they are fun. Maybe I will switch priorities to one of the Back to Origins worlds as my "token 100% completion world" instead of Murphy's Touch, since I have already decided I won't aim for 100% in the game as a whole.

Edited by MosesRockefeller