Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

I've made some progress on my Nintendo systems.

Switch:

• I got 100% of the Shines in Bowser's Fury (probably the easiest Mario game to 100%, and the only one where I've done that)
  • Almost done with Super Metroid (first playthrough was on Wii U several years ago, this is my second). I've abused the savestates in SNES Online several times. I don't have patience for time-wasting due to mis-jumps. It's a great game but the series has definitely added nice QoL features since then
  • Started A Hat in Time. It's a cool game, but I dislike the ads for the two DLCs every time you launch the game

3DS (hacked to have GBA games and SNES games that I own on Wii U but would rather play on the go):

• Finished the Birthright campaign in Fire Emblem Fates, finally. That's a game that I dropped for several years. I've now finished Awakening, Fates, and 3 Houses, although I'm a one-and-done person. I don't do multiple paths on this series, or any series really
  • Finished Kirby: Planet Robobot
  • Finished replays of Metroid Zero Mission and Samus Returns
  • After Super Metroid, I'll replay Fusion on 3DS
  • Going to start Dragon Quest VIII soon. I loved XI on Switch
  • Persona Q - starting the final dungeon

Wii U:

• Finally finished Metroid Prime (Wii Trilogy version). I haven't started Prime 2 yet because I'm still holding out hope for a Switch port. I may play Other M to see if all the hate is justified

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 4

Finally beat Pokemon Sword today at around 25 hours to beat the main story and post-game quest.

The story was decent (though the villain was nonexistent) but the characters were pretty good. I liked Hop, Sonia, Leon, and even Bede towards the end. (The gym leaders were cool as well).

The gameplay was standard Pokemon but I enjoyed Dynamax and the more open areas this time around. Bummer that most of the Pokedex is missing (especially Gen. 1 Pokemon), but I still had fun catching and forming my own team.

The visuals were good and I like the designs of the gym leaders and new Pokemon, and places like Ballonlea town were beautiful. Sucks that the game didn't look at that good on handheld mode in the wild area. The soundtrack was easily one of the game's best aspects and I loved hearing a lot of the tracks. My faves were Hop's theme, Bede's theme, Ballonlea, Spikemuth, and Stadium themes.

Overall, the game was good but nothing special. I feel that Pokemon Sword and Shield didn't deserve most of the hate, but Game Freak should be called out for rushing out their games. I'm still interested in checking out the DLCs, but I'll be taking a break for now. 

Also, I picked up Neo: The World Ends With You and Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection just recently.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

Overall, the game was good but nothing special. I feel that Pokemon Sword and Shield didn't deserve most of the hate, but Game Freak should be called out for rushing out their games. I'm still interested in checking out the DLCs, but I'll be taking a break for now. 

Also, I picked up Neo: The World Ends With You and Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection just recently.

I agree, some of the hate GF was getting was completely uncalled for. The player and pokemon models and animation were definitely "not lazy" and when you think about doing that for 900 Pokemon trying to meet deadlines with pairing up with merch deals and TV shows, I don't blame them for condensing the dex. I also think a smaller dex makes a more balanced game too competitively, but that's just me. My thoughts are "they'll be available in future games."

I do think they deserve some criticism of the AI, the game being too easy, the pop-in, pop-out in the wild area, and some of the houses with painted doors or towns just being a single street or small circle (those felt rushed for sure).

But overall, these didn't change the fun and excitement of the game. I still think if you enjoy Pokemon, collecting, and battling, you'll enjoy the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I agree, some of the hate GF was getting was completely uncalled for. The player and pokemon models and animation were definitely "not lazy" and when you think about doing that for 900 Pokemon trying to meet deadlines with pairing up with merch deals and TV shows, I don't blame them for condensing the dex. I also think a smaller dex makes a more balanced game too competitively, but that's just me. My thoughts are "they'll be available in future games."

I do think they deserve some criticism of the AI, the game being too easy, the pop-in, pop-out in the wild area, and some of the houses with painted doors or towns just being a single street or small circle (those felt rushed for sure).

But overall, these didn't change the fun and excitement of the game. I still think if you enjoy Pokemon, collecting, and battling, you'll enjoy the game.

I've read somewhere that "feature creep" was finally getting to Pokemon. Basically, the constant addition of new Pokemon on top of old ones with each new game will make modelling and programming them on a new engine/system more time-consuming and difficult due to yearly releases. Sword and Shield were definitely causalities of this.

All in all, I hope Nintendo/GameFreak learns from Ubisoft and drop the yearly release schedule of Pokemon just like they did with Assassin's Creed. (doubt that they'll ever do it though).

• Like 2

I still thoroughly enjoyed Shield despite its flaws, although I personally felt that the two DLCs handled certain aspects better than the base game did. (i.e The wild areas)

It's far from being one of my favorite games in the series either way, and yet it's still enjoyable for what it is nonetheless.

Nintendo and The Pokémon Company as a whole seriously need to space these games out more regardless, and the devs need to be given more time to work on them too.

Speaking of Pokémon, Shining Pearl has so far been enjoyable as a faithful remake of the original Pearl.

I like some of the changes they made here despite my disappointment regarding how this remake has not been approached like how past remakes in the series have been.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

I'm about to walk into what I assume will be the final boss fight in Monster Hunter Stories 2 buuut... then I realized new side quests had opened and I can apparently get a Deviljho!? Now I have an urge to get one into my party. And I'm obsessed with searching for eggs to get great genes to transfer to my monsties. My save file has 83 hours clocked in already and my backlog is bursting from its seams.

• Like 1

Just thinking aloud here, and this isn't necessarily pertaining to the Switch specifically, but I'd love it if Capcom were to make more Monster Hunter spin-offs.

Something akin to Dynasty Warriors where you take on hordes of smaller monsters, and where larger monsters serve as bosses and mini-bosses, sounds pretty neat.

Even something akin to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry where it's mission based and more combo oriented seems quite interesting, and like it'd have a lot of potential if done well.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

Just thinking aloud here, and this isn't necessarily pertaining to the Switch specifically, but I'd love it if Capcom were to make more Monster Hunter spin-offs.

Something akin to Dynasty Warriors where you take on hordes of smaller monsters, and where larger monsters serve as bosses and mini-bosses, sounds pretty neat.

Even something akin to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry where it's mission based and more combo oriented seems quite interesting, and like it'd have a lot of potential if done well.

There's this cute "Monster Hunter Diary" spin-off that they never localized to west. I have no idea what genre the game is but I wanted it the moment I saw the trailer back when it was announced. I hope they would port it to Switch and release it here too. I'd welcome other spin-offs too. The world and overall style of Monster Hunter is very appealing. 

And to update my progress with Monster Hunter Stories 2, I didn't manage to find a Deviljho egg so I went to the final boss fight with a Palamute, Nergigante and Rathalos. I also had Astalos, Stygian Zinogre and Legiana in reserve. I finished the main story in 95 hours (lv 46, 153 subquests completed, Monsterpedia 47%, Monstipedia 74%, 132 eggs acquired) and a ton of post-game quests unlocked now so there's still a lot of content to play through. The final boss was very cool and it's a completely new monster to the franchise. Very good game and I recommend it especially for people who are into Pokémon games. 

Here's a few friends from MHS2 (some are returning characters from the first game): 

0069dc7b6d91879ab3dde8f6b33442a444d12b43.jpg5e2c288e142ecacf35d9e45a26f3f80e1a8ff60e.jpg

514c56a6de74d45f26574e984dde23c0ee34aef5.jpg

• Like 1

You can get your Nintendo Switch Year in Review statistics. 
Europe: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/yearinreview
North America: https://switch.nintendo.com/year-in-review/

My statistics 

Games played in 2021: 17 

New games started in 2021: 8 

Most played games in 2021: Monster Hunter Stories 2 (77 hours), Café Enchanté (61 hours), Jump Rope Challenge (52 hours) 

Total hours played in 2021: 495 (58% docked, 42% portable) 

The hours don't seem accurate at all as I have 95 hours in my save file for MHS2 and the Play activity on Switch displays 95 hours - so the 77 hours in these statistics is off by quite a bit. For Café Enchanté my Switch shows 55 hours so I don't know where that 61 hours comes from in the statistics. :dunno:

EDIT: Just noticed there's a highlighted text "Top active player" for Jump Rope Challenge in my stats. I wonder what that means.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 1

My Statistics: 

Games Played in 2021: 11

Most played games in 2021: Dragon Quest XI S (100 Hours), Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (71 Hours), Pokemon Sword (29 Hours)

Total hours played in 2021: 271 hours (200 Docked, 71 Handheld)

@Eyjabria: Me too, the times aren't syncing properly with my Switch. 

Really liked that Nintendo made a recap activity this year since I like going back and reflect on my gaming playtime each year. Dragon Quest XI S was my first DQ game and one that I ended up really loving, so much so that I nearly completed everything it had to offer. Can't wait for the next game.

• Like 2

Games played in 2021: 19

Most played games in 2021: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild (157 Hours), Monster Hunter: Rise (125 Hours), Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (74 Hours)

Total hours played in 2021: 781 hours (284 Docked, 497 Handheld)

Here's my statistics for the year. Didn't realize that I played the darn thing that much. lmao

• Like 3

Yomawari 3 coming out next year. I'm excited. I hope the story will be as brilliant as in the second one. 

And tomorrow a big sale starting again in European eShop. Hoping they will finally give a release date for Sports Story in the Nintendo Indie World Showcase today.

• Like 1

Here are my Switch statistics or whatever.

No change for me really for the most part. 7 games this year. 7 games last year apparently. 335 hours this year compared to 285 hours last year. Pokemon Unite was my most played Switch game with 196 hours (which I've now fully quit) with Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition at 45 hours and Among Us at 33 hours. My most active day was apparently August 23rd where I played Pokemon unite for 7 hours and last year it was February 9th. 31 hours docked and 304 hours handheld. Yeah this won't happen again. Next year it'll probably be Chocobo GP lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late, but here are a few of my stats:

689 total hours 

264 docked 

425 in handheld 

Top played games were.

1. Pokemon Sword - 157 

2. Monster Hunter Rise - 156 

3. Bravely Default 2 - 118 

Makes a lot of sense tbh. I only played Pokemon in handheld and did a bit of both for Bravely Default 2. I also played a ton of Yu-Gi-Oh which is only played in handheld too so I can see why I lean mostly handheld. 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Spacing
  • Like 3

Merry Christmas and happy (gaming-filled) holidays to you all! May you all find new favorites gift-wrapped under the tree. 

4 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

By the way, for those still gaming on 3DS, Atlus has a really great sale on their 3DS library!

Shin Megami Tensei IV ($8), IV Apocalypse ($9) and the rest of the SMT games are on sale. Radiant Historia and the Etrian Odyssey games are also on sale for less than $10.

Thanks for the tip! The Atlus sale is a bit different here in Europe it seems but great discounts anyhow. https://psprices.com/region-fi/discounts/?platform=3DS&sort=date
I recommed Stella Glow if you haven't gotten it yet. It's a less-known tactical RPG and underrated. 

Currently playing 7th Dragon III Code: VFD on 3DS and got a physical copy of Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask as a Christmas present. So 3DS is still going strong in our household.
Steam Winter Sale resulted into Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance being gifted to me. Didn't get any Switch games so far but might get Nightshade (-40%) and husbando got a physical copy of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX for Christmas.

I was supposed to get Chrono Cross original soundtrack for Christmas. It arrived in just a couple of days from Japan to Finland and we did a customs clearance, paid the taxes, etc. Now it's apparently lost somewhere in Finnish postal service's mail sorting facility. I hope I'll get it someday.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 1

The 3DS eShop sale is not just Atlus games.

It looks like all of the Etrian Odyssey games are on sale - the remakes of 1&2, and 4, 5, and 6 (Nexus). Are they all pretty good? I like Persona Q a lot, although I have (partial) auto-mapping on. The walls draw themselves, and I just fill in things like doors, treasure chests, etc. A big part of the draw with Persona Q is the character interaction and story though (even better when there is voice acting), so I would be more interested in a EO game that had at least some of that character interaction.

On 12/25/2021 at 7:38 AM, Eyjabria said:

Thanks for the tip! The Atlus sale is a bit different here in Europe it seems but great discounts anyhow. https://psprices.com/region-fi/discounts/?platform=3DS&sort=date

I recommed Stella Glow if you haven't gotten it yet. It's a less-known tactical RPG and underrated.

I'll look into Stella Glow.

There are a few other games I'm eyeing in the sale. My 7-year-old daughter has a 2DS and I am thinking Cooking Mama: Sweet Shop might be fun for her. Maybe Super Monkey Ball 3D and Final Fantasy Explorers too (the latter probably more for me)?

I've been going through all the FE games on 3DS. I have them all there except of course the console ones (Gamecube, Wii, Switch). Since my New 3DS XL is running cfw, I can put fan translations of the older FEs. I finished Fates recently (Birthright story), and just finished up Shadow Dragon (the DS remake of FE1). I just started FE Echoes: Shadow of Valentia. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing the alternate branches in Fates and Three Houses. I think once through is enough for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The 3DS eShop sale is not just Atlus games.

It looks like all of the Etrian Odyssey games are on sale - the remakes of 1&2, and 4, 5, and 6 (Nexus). Are they all pretty good? I like Persona Q a lot, although I have (partial) auto-mapping on. The walls draw themselves, and I just fill in things like doors, treasure chests, etc. A big part of the draw with Persona Q is the character interaction and story though (even better when there is voice acting), so I would be more interested in a EO game that had at least some of that character interaction.

I'll look into Stella Glow.

There are a few other games I'm eyeing in the sale. My 7-year-old daughter has a 2DS and I am thinking Cooking Mama: Sweet Shop might be fun for her. Maybe Super Monkey Ball 3D and Final Fantasy Explorers too (the latter probably more for me)?

I've been going through all the FE games on 3DS. I have them all there except of course the console ones (Gamecube, Wii, Switch). Since my New 3DS XL is running cfw, I can put fan translations of the older FEs. I finished Fates recently (Birthright story), and just finished up Shadow Dragon (the DS remake of FE1). I just started FE Echoes: Shadow of Valentia. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing the alternate branches in Fates and Three Houses. I think once through is enough for me.

If you're into character interaction and heavier story emphasis, then Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 & 2 would be the best picks for you. The Untold games have a story mode with preset characters (but also possibility to play in classic Etrian style with characters created by yourself). I think all the Etrian games on 3DS have auto-mapping option but I hear EO IV has the most limited one as it only auto-maps the tiles you walk on and you have to draw the walls yourself. 
I've played Etrian Odyssey V and it's a really good game. It doesn't put a lot of focus story and there is pretty much zero social interaction between the party members - it's a pure dungeon crawler with its emphasis on gameplay. EO IV and Nexus are similar to V in this aspect. 

By the way, there's also a game called 7th Dragon III Code: VFD. It's a third-person dungeon crawling RPG inspired by Etrian Odyssey (no need to draw maps), it has unique classes, a good story and there's also some character interaction with side characters. I'm playing it myself currently (going to the final boss) and enjoying it a lot. There's a demo available for 7th Dragon if you want to try it out before purchasing. Looks like it's on sale in North American eShop at the moment (https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/7th-dragon-iii-code-vfd-3ds/)? 

• Like 2

I ended up getting Xenoblade Chronicles definitive edition for Christmas and Pokemon BD for my birthday so now I need to finish SMTV, Pokemon BD, and Xenoblade Chronicles. 

I decided to do a nuzlocke for Brilliant Diamond for funz and so far so good. Zero deaths and 3 badges down. My matchup for the first 3 badges are nice with Chimchar and Starly alone though. I almost lost my Chimchar a couple of times early on and almost lost Staraptor once to a crit, but most of it has been dominating with intimidate cycling and power up punch and rolling my opponents. Overall, it's been fun!

I'm also on chapter 4 of Xenoblade Chronicles and the story and world is blowing me away so far. Really sad stuff in the early chapters that completely took me by surprise as I was expecting the typical anime story, but dang, did it hit hard. Lol. Love the idea of seeing into the future, and I always love stories about determinism vs free will and this game is revolved around it due to Shulk's power.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 7:08 AM, Eyjabria said:

If you're into character interaction and heavier story emphasis, then Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 & 2 would be the best picks for you. The Untold games have a story mode with preset characters (but also possibility to play in classic Etrian style with characters created by yourself). I think all the Etrian games on 3DS have auto-mapping option but I hear EO IV has the most limited one as it only auto-maps the tiles you walk on and you have to draw the walls yourself. 
I've played Etrian Odyssey V and it's a really good game. It doesn't put a lot of focus story and there is pretty much zero social interaction between the party members - it's a pure dungeon crawler with its emphasis on gameplay. EO IV and Nexus are similar to V in this aspect. 

By the way, there's also a game called 7th Dragon III Code: VFD. It's a third-person dungeon crawling RPG inspired by Etrian Odyssey (no need to draw maps), it has unique classes, a good story and there's also some character interaction with side characters. I'm playing it myself currently (going to the final boss) and enjoying it a lot. There's a demo available for 7th Dragon if you want to try it out before purchasing. Looks like it's on sale in North American eShop at the moment (https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/7th-dragon-iii-code-vfd-3ds/)?

Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up grabbing Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 & 2, 7th Dragon, Stella Glow, and Cooking Mama: Sweet Shop, all for the price of one full-price 3DS game. Now I just extended my backlog by a year or so. :)

• Like 3

On 12/30/2021 at 3:08 PM, Eyjabria said:

Playing through Etrian Odyssey Untold after putting it on hold since 2013 lol. Really enjoying the gameplay and story is good so far. Auto-mapping is really helpful since I hate drawing walls and like to mark chests, stairs, and mine points instead.

Picked up a physical copy of 7th Dragon (I remember it being a special edition) a while ago for cheap, so I'll look into that. 

Also, the Ace Attorney games were on ssle and I got Spirit of Justice (got all AA 3DS games) and Apollo on DS.

• Like 1

We already know that Metroid Dread is the fastest selling game in the series, now It appears SMTV is also breaking its series sales records. Interesting stuff and good news for the fans of these franchises.

I'm curious what other old series had sequels on Switch that broke their records.

I know New Horizons sold more copies than all previous Animal Crossing games combined, but that series is not that old compared to Metroid and SMT, and historically more popular.

• Like 1