Platinum Trophy List Opinions

BIOHAZARD-R-US

Platinum Trophy List Preferences  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Point value set or ranged, like it currently is?

• Set. Keep it at one point total every time, good for balance.
    • Ranged. 1140-1230 is a wide enough range for creativity.
    • Don't care. Points are points.
  2. 2. Use more or less trophies to get to the required point value?

• Less trophies. GIMME MORE GOLDS!!!
    • More trophies. It's all about how many trophies you have.
    • Mix of both. Some games are better with a smaller trophy list.
    • Don't care. Just let me get back to trophy hunting.

With a lot of platinum trophy lists being released with less than 40 trophies, I thought it'd be interesting to see what people thought of platinum trophy lists. I personally kinda like lists with less trophies, equalling higher value trophies to make up the required point total.

Games like Terminator SalvationTony Hawk's Pro Skater HDUntil Dawn, and The Last of Us all have platinum trophy lists under 20 trophies, except for TLoU which has 24 including the platinum. Usually trophy lists like these offer more of a challenge, especially with THPS-HD's trophy list. The other thing is that, and this point was actually made when the trophy list for The Last of Us was released, was that trophies could sometimes distract from the narrative, having them pop every few minutes or so. One of the creative directors for Spec Ops: The Line even went as far as saying that he felt adding trophies was a mistake for the same reason. While I don't necessarily agree with that point, I can definitely understand it.

On the other hand, games like Life Is StrangeZombie Army Trilogy, DOOM3: BFG Edition, Operation7: Revolution, and Rise of the Tomb Raider all have platinum trophy lists over 60 trophies. In order to still reach the same value as the previously mentioned games, these are filled with a ton of bronze trophies. Having more trophies in a platinum trophy list does mean that earning the platinum will increase your total trophy count substantially, but at the cost of increasing pretty much just your bronze trophy count.

What my question to you all is do you care about trophy lists in this way, like would you want to see trophy lists come out with more or less total trophies in order to get the platinum? Do you care if you get a ton of bronze trophies for the platinum or would you like to have a few bronze with more gold/silver trophies? Also, do you like the way platinum trophy lists can differ in total point value from 1140-1230, or do you think there should be a set point value for a platinum list, like 1200 or so?

25 minutes ago, AlphaTrash said:

I think more trophies should give you more points. 

A list with a platinum should always give you at least 1000 points. But tomb raider for example, or doom 3, should give you 1600-1800. 

Terminator Salvation should be 1000. 

So you're saying make a point system based on number of trophies, rather that type of trophies?

6 minutes ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

So you're saying make a point system based on number of trophies, rather that type of trophies?

I'm saying both. 

Lets say, a bronze is 30 points, silver 50, Gold 75, plat 150. 

If a game has 60 trophies, 51 bronze, 5 silver, 3 gold, 1 plat. The points for that game should be: 2155. 

Terminator Salvation for example would give you 975 points in that system. 

Ideally, I'd like a platinum to give 1000 points at least., but eh whatever. I don't see why someone should get the same amount of points for Doom as they do for terminator salvation. 

I don't like the level system anyway. I think the trophy count is great, but level is shit. It should be trophies + trophy score. Not trophies + trophy level. 

Gamerscore is much better than level imo. 

I like the varied amount of trophies needed for a plat in different games. If the game has a lot of trophies, it might mean that the game has more replay value while a point-and-click games or some games like the Telltale games can have just a few.

I'd just love to see the trophy cap to be gone since RotTR had few trophies cut out from it to fit new DLC trophies.

57 minutes ago, AlphaTrash said:

I'm saying both. 

Lets say, a bronze is 30 points, silver 50, Gold 75, plat 150. 

If a game has 60 trophies, 51 bronze, 5 silver, 3 gold, 1 plat. The points for that game should be: 2155. 

Terminator Salvation for example would give you 975 points in that system. 

Ideally, I'd like a platinum to give 1000 points at least., but eh whatever. I don't see why someone should get the same amount of points for Doom as they do for terminator salvation. 

I don't like the level system anyway. I think the trophy count is great, but level is shit. It should be trophies + trophy score. Not trophies + trophy level. 

Gamerscore is much better than level imo. 

But Gamerscore is the same, or perhaps even worse. There's no limit on how many achievements a game can have but they must all equal 1000G. So Terminator Salvation's 11 achievements and Rise of the Tomb Raider's 56 achievements both give you the same reward. Theoretically they could give you 1000 achievements all one point each. xD 

2 minutes ago, dell9300 said:

But Gamerscore is the same, or perhaps even worse. There's no limit on how many achievements a game can have but they must all equal 1000G. So Terminator Salvation's 11 achievements and Rise of the Tomb Raider's 56 achievements both give you the same reward. Theoretically they could give you 1000 achievements all one point each. xD 

That's not what I mean, I just mean the concept of the score. Your score earned, your psn points earned ect. Is better than trophy level imo. 

Restricting a plat to 1200 points or making every game 1000g is obviously a shit idea. :| 

1 minute ago, AlphaTrash said:

That's not what I mean, I just mean the concept of the score. Your score earned, your psn points earned ect. Is better than trophy level imo. 

Restricting a plat to 1200 points or making every game 1000g is obviously a shit idea. :| 

Ah yeah I got that but I thought you were also referring to the game score to achievement ratio when you mentioned Terminator shouldn't give the same amount of points as Doom. 

I quite like the RPG style level system we have to be honest. It gives more weight and meaning than just a bare number, which we do have as well in the form of total trophies. I agree a total score number could be added as well though just as PSNP have done on our profiles. The trophy overview on the PS4 could really do with being more fleshed out. 

I prefer smaller lists but I like that there is such a variety.

Smaller lists are normally to the point, larger lists have more irrelevant trophies or missable trophies but they can also have amusing easter eggs or extra parts of the game you would never have found or tried before. You have to research these lists before you start so they are more of a pain for a completionist.

Happy with the point scoring system, 1100-1300 points is a good range for a platinum, think the values of each trophy are fair and I like the levelling system, it's a good "at a glance" look to see just how many trophies someone has if you're into that.

For games with a platinum, I care more about what you have to do for the rest of the trophies than the amount of them (and huge trophy lists tend to have a lot of "filler" which tend to be easy/quick ones, though those can occasionally be fun easter egg-type stuff) and I also care more about my overall amount of trophies than the rarity (though of course, the harder/rarer the better... and t¨rophy type is not always indicative, I've seen several games with Silvers and even Bronzes much harder than any Golds in that game...)

Point value is fine the way it is, a good range for points. Some games work better with less trophies and some work better with more

As for levels, I like the current level system but could be cool to also have total trophy points listed underneath? And maybe "X points to next level".

Edited by Zanreo

We also need to take note that not all games (I'm looking at you psn games mainly!) should necessarily have plats. Take my name is Mayo or to a slightly less extent terminator salvation for example. A 10 minute plat for a ridiculous excuse for a game. Terminator salvation was easy yes and should have had less golds and more trophies that require different tasks

IMO, the only things should change is what deserves to get a plat and the amount of trophies required. Earning plats for me i need a challenge not a walkover.

Over the past couple of years the nostalgia has been saturated so bad. We have been getting less trophies for "actual games" and more for pathetic indie/small Dev games just to boost their sales.

I don't really even pay attention to how many trophies there are in a list tbh. Same goes for the value of each trophy. They're just goals on the way to the platinum. Make the hardest trophy in a game a bronze, I don't care. :P As long as the trophy list is varied and interesting, that's all that matters to me.