The former MMORPG thread: What did you use to play?

I decided to make this thread to prick people on this forum on a topic that relates to this game - the MMO genre. Is this your first MMO and what MMOs did you play before this one if it's not?

For me, it was Wizard101 and Maplestory, which I still like to follow on Youtube, but sadly, even the purest MMO is not immune to DDoS attacks and infalliable. I was thinking of going back to Wizard101 briefly just to get some story closure, but then the mass bans started happening and I realized that even if I get the money for some paid time, I would probably be banned by trying to log back in and all the characters I had planned on playing would be deleted. There goes a ton of Crowns in the toilet!

Maplestory was fun and free to roam, but the grinding was so tedious and leeched my life. I got quickly bored after hitting level 100(the level cap there is 250 now) and just restarted. Too many classes, too much to do and you could get one-shot if you tried to fight monsters too powerful.

All in all, I am going to stick with FFXIV and go back to it once I get some more games under my belt because I can't spend too much money a month and I already have two subs(GameFly and PS Now). But what about you guys? What MMOs did you use to play before realizing that Square-Enix is the king of MMOs? Post and discuss!

Edited by MidnightCJ

Wizard101 is mass banning people? Why?

That used to be an MMO I played a lot. There was a lot of strategy involved and the story was interesting, but as the game progressed and they started adding in new worlds it became increasingly unbalanced and pay to win, what with cheating bosses you need to have wiki pages up for and 2v1/3v2/4v3 mob fights and mastery amulets and new cards being locked behind loot crates.

I mean sure, you could go grind out a fairly easy boss in Dragonspyre for a low chance of one of the premium cards being dropped... but it was a low chance, and despite being easy the boss takes forever if you try and go in alone. And that's a thing I noticed a lot, the best gear that isn't paid is locked behind dungeons that take hours to complete even with a full team of 4 wizards and a great strategy. The amount of times I went through Waterworks and the Wysteria tower dungeon... (and not once did I get a mastery amulet, although I did get all the unique gear eventually).

Another annoyance I had with W101, and I imagine this carries over to every MMO, is that you're expected to skip through all the dialogue when playing with others otherwise your holding them up and wasting their time.

I considered going back a few years ago as well, but I decided against it due to how unbalanced everyone has become. The first 5 worlds are great, though.

1 minute ago, madbuk said:

Wizard101 is mass banning people? Why?

From what I heard, they are culling inactive accounts. I haven't played in a couple of months so this might be a punishment. Definitely not going to get me back if this is their policy. :(

2 minutes ago, madbuk said:

it became increasingly unbalanced and pay to win

Maybe another reason KingsIsle has to put their foot down. It's the sign of a MMO's demise and a reason why Nexon decided to create an entirely new server(the Reboot world) that disables all real-money transactions for stat boosting and trading for the most part.

9 minutes ago, MidnightCJ said:

From what I heard, they are culling inactive accounts. I haven't played in a couple of months so this might be a punishment. Definitely not going to get me back if this is their policy. :(

Maybe another reason KingsIsle has to put their foot down. It's the sign of a MMO's demise and a reason why Nexon decided to create an entirely new server(the Reboot world) that disables all real-money transactions for stat boosting and trading for the most part.

Despite not playing it for years, I still have W101 on my computer so I tried signing in and it worked and is currently downloading a lot of updates lol. If you only stopped playing a few months ago you should still have your account.

I've been playing DC Universe on and off for years now. I like it a lot.

I tried FFXIV and liked it a lot. It's tough for me to get time cards here though so unless they start selling time on psn I won't be playing it.

I also recently tried Neverwinter and liked it a lot but got side tracked by other things.

I also really fell in love with Trove but the pay model was to much for me. I liked the game a ton but free players really got screwed. Even the paid players have to pay too much to get the best experience.

Edited by KingGuy420

My first MMO was Ragnarok Online which I played for over 10 years. I loved the customization and freedom to make truly unique character builds with freely distributable stat and skill points, special equipment and weapon effects and the card slot system. Also was a big fan of programmable Homunculus AI.

Other MMOs I've played include Requiem, TERA and Elder Scrolls Online. I have also briefly played / been in open beta tests for Lineage II, MapleStory, AionBlade & Soul

I don't play FFXIV currently. I stopped paying for my sub when I noticed I didn't enjoy the game much anymore after Heavensward expansion. Most things I enjoyed in the game had been made into a mindless grind (crafting and gathering) and lack of inventory space was a constant issue (even with guild bank and one additional retainer) that prevented me from doing much anything in the game. It was also typical to notice a whole evening flew by and I didn't achieve anything in the game. I also couldn't keep up with the content updates that constantly seemed to make everything I had achieved obsolete. 
The housing fiasco they pulled made me have some negative feelings towards the game, first promising houses wouldn't be lost, then turning their coat. Now it feels like SE is forcing me to subscribe in order not to lose the house we worked hard for with just two people. 

I will probably buy Stormblood at some point if it's on sale or something and log into the game every now and then in case it still sparks my interest. At least we had fun playing together with my husband earlier so maybe we will find it an enjoyable pastime again. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and my avatar is one of my characters from RO. :D

Edited by Eyjabria

Well, my first MMORPG was World of Warcraft. Then move onto Final Fantasy XI where I spent nearly 6-8yrs playing. It was very enjoyable to me, though many now these days would probably cry at that type of grind. Love the death penalty, community only got better imho because of it. Now I live playing Final Fantasy XIV and see tons of crappy players. But its easy, even the hardest content is very doable these days. Stormblood had really gone casual. I had played a lot of MMOs though. Just those are the major ones worth thinking/mentioning. Other ones I spent maybe couple months enjoying are Aion, Tera, Guild Wars1/2, Wildstar, Black Desert Online.

Played Dragon Nest and Guild Wars 2 in the past, both had issues with end game but they were so addicting and casual friendly. But FFXIV is my main game now, despite its problems, it's really fun.

Edited by Xeliot

My fist MMO (and currently playing ) is FFXIV, I didn't like it a year ago when I started and stopped almost immediately. Now having gone back to it I am greatly enjoying it, probably largely due to having a better understanding of how these games work. I am in the lucky position of not needing to race through content in a timeframe and intend to slowly chip away at the plat and most likely both expansions over the next year. From what I have seen the longe timeframe you can spend with this game the more enjoyment available. I imagine mindlessly grinding feats / levequests just to meet the trophy requirements must be quite boring

I'm an rpg vet but this is my first mmorpg, I've mostly played it as singleplayer rpg though, I've asked for the help of my guild only for the binding coil trophy, because I'm far behind them and I want to catch up using the duty finder. I've teamed up mostly with randoms for dungeons and raids, gotta love all the angry and frustrated elitists yelling at and insulting noobs on their first attemp at dungeons or raids, expecting them to know exactly what to do lmao

First MMO I ever played was Legend of Mir, I wouldn't be surprised if anybody here has heard of it. I met someone in my second year of college in 2002 and he introduced me to it. It was a sprite-based isometric 3-D game that got released in 2001. My friend ran a private server called RaGEZONE which is still active today, but Mir died years ago it's mainly a MMO devlopment forum for private servers for various games. There was an official EU server which I did try and omg... what a fucking toxic community... unless you were lvl capped at 50 you were constantly shit on by other players... they'd hurl insults at you if you just stand next to them! Plus, the EU version was insanly diffisult to get lvl capped so I quit and went back to RaGEZONE. I did have lots of fun memorys playing Mir2 and then Mir3 which was even better!  It was a very addicting game. Because my friend was the GM he gave me a Dragon Slayer which was the best weapon in the game... well, he  lent it to me I should say. I had to be extra careful with that thing because if you died in Mir, you have a chance of dropping you equipment, then you have to run back to the place where you died to pick up your stuff and PREY another hasn't looted your equipment. Good times. 

PristonTale was another MMO I enjoyed, I just to finish collage early so I could play it. World of Warcraft I played on and off since 2005, I could spend all day talking about that. I tried Final Fantasy XI on both PC and Xbox 360, I tried get in to it but  I couldn't, it sucked so hard compared to WOW. I played Rift and Aion when they launched but quickly dropped them both, didn't like them, same with Tera. I played Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 and I couldn't really play it because my PC almost melted lol Though I wasn't too mad about that, since the game was completly broken. I do wish I played the game towards the end of 1.X's life because during the final days it looked really cool.