Shenmue 1 & 2 coming to Ps4?

Haato_Ming_Xi

This was posted on reddit earlier

https://www.alza.co.uk/shenmue-1-2-pack?dq=4661678

If this is true this is pretty good, been wanting to play these for a while + they will have trophies. Your guys thoughts on this? Hopefully the trophy lists count for two different games and not just combine both into one (danganronpa)

Edited by ihate_ray
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Sega have said something along the lines of "we're looking into" making Shenmue 1 & 2 remasters before, so it wouldn't surprise me if it happened at some point. I wouldn't put much faith into that listing, though.

Yeah the list seems kind of sketchy. I just hope its true, they kind of need to if they want 3 to be a big hit. Aside from the face animations i always see people asking where/how to play 1&2. ;/

I think it makes sense and that it will. Sega we cool with them remastering the first Yakuza so why not remaster the first two Shenmue, considering there are a huge amount of people that are not familiar with the game or at least haven't played much. I have honestly only seen a few short videos about it, never actually played it so I hope the series can live up to its hype.

7 minutes ago, MrKittyEmperor said:

Are those games actually any good?  Started to watch a playthrough of first one and it just seemed kinda boring.  I suppose if they remastered them it would be a chance to play them myself and see. 

Yeah, better than good imo. Fantastic story, very sad that it finished where it did.

2 hours ago, MrKittyEmperor said:

Are those games actually any good?  Started to watch a playthrough of first one and it just seemed kinda boring.  I suppose if they remastered them it would be a chance to play them myself and see. 

It depends on what you find fun - Shenmue 1 is like the videogame equivalent of 'The Room' - it's awful, but in a kind of glorious way.

If you  (like me) love watching terrible movies for fun, then this is the game version. Play with someone else around and you will have a great time! The voice acting is.... well, it has to be seen (heard?) to be believed!

Hope it's true... that's an instant pre-order from me.  Especially if they put out a nice collectible retail disc release.  I've been itching for a way to re-play through the games before the third game comes out.  My disc copies of Shenmue I and II for the Dreamcast are pretty comfortable, I don't want to have to re-open them and play on the discs... nor do I really want to have to get a new Dreamcast to do so.  Emulators are my backup option but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.  Dreamcast emulation is dicey at best.

Fair warning.  I don't feel like the games have aged well at all.  As I've said in other threads, a lot of what made Shenmue such a great game was it's technological prowess (for the time) and open world concepts.  Freeform exploration, day/night and weather cycles, Virtua Fighter-esque combat with RPG style advancement, QTE's.  A lot of stuff that has been tweaked to perfection, and in some cases shamefully overdone, since then... and if you take away the WOW factor with those mechanics back in the day... you're left with a pretty clumsy game, so-bad-it's-funny acting and a very cliche revenge story.  An unfinished one at that.

I'll gladly take the remasters because I'll personally love them to death (as I will Shenmue III whether it's really a good game or not)... but I may want to shut off the internet for a while after they come out.  If they come out.  The amount of people jumping on the hate bandwagon because of course a revered cult classic isn't as immediately satisfying as fans have spent the last 14 years "talking up", will be excruciating.

Edited by Dreakon13