We Play: Super NES Classic Edition.

Image result for Super Nintendo logoImage result for super nes classic edition us vs uk

Classic Edition.

What's in the box?

• Mini SNES/Super Famicom replica console with 21 pre-loaded games/roms
  • 2 Wired SNES/Super Famicom USB controllers
  • 1 HDMI cable
  • 1 USB cable (w/power adapter in NA).
  • Operations Manual (with poster on back, NA only).

Western SNES Version Games:                                                    

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • The Legend of Zelda:  A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Yoshi’s Island

Japanese Super Famicom Version Games:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Super Soccer
  • The Legend of Zelda:  A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Panel de Pon
  • The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
  • Yoshi’s Island

Release Info:

• NA/EU: September 29 2017
  • AUS: September 30 2017
  • Japan: October 5 2017

I thought it would be nice to have a place here where we could discuss the system and the games we are playing as we are playing them.  I don't have any badges to hand out (although if someone wanted to make some that would be cool), I don't have any check points or discussion stops.  I just thought we could pop in and share our experiences with the new machines and how the games themselves stand up.  Anyway...

who's getting one?  How are you getting one?  What are you playing first?  Discuss!

20170102010247fb0f2.gif

•  
  •  
Edited by angelgrievous
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, syumisan said:

I wish I knew about the pre-orders....Same scenario with NES classic. Couldn't get one :'(

The stock in brick and mortar stores is supposed to be significantly more than with the NES classic.  If you're interested in getting one on Friday, you may still be able to if you just walk in.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, syumisan said:

I wish I knew about the pre-orders....Same scenario with NES classic. Couldn't get one :'(

As I was picking up my pre-order for Uncharted: Lost Legacy the cashier got a call (from corporate, I assume) saying SNES Classic pre-orders were live. He asked if I wanted to pre-order one, obviously I said yeah, and he said that store was only getting 10 units. Nintendo is supposed to supply more units than they did with the NES Classic, but I'd say this system will be very hard to get without going to a scalper too. 

Parker

• Like 1

I decided not to get one, even when I was notified a week or two ago that more pre-orders were made available at my favourite game store.

Simple reason: most of the games that I'm interested in, I already have on actual SNES cartridges.

If you all here decide on a playing order, I'd love to play along with a few though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I decided not to get one, even when I was notified a week or two ago that more pre-orders were made available at my favourite game store.

Simple reason: most of the games that I'm interested in, I already have on actual SNES cartridges.

If you all here decide on a playing order, I'd love to play along with a few though.

wut? is the mini snes classic available for pre orders again? I really wanted it but when hubby went to game stop it was all sold out.

46 minutes ago, BG_painter said:

wut? is the mini snes classic available for pre orders again? I really wanted it but when hubby went to game stop it was all sold out.

That's because you have to go to a Game Stop, which is a terrible company if I am to believe anyone who has told me anything about Game Stop ever.

I'm in Holland, and we in Holland/Belgium have the Game Mania chain stores, which are awesome.

I didn't get the NES Classic and I'm not interested in the SNES Classic. The one thing that appeals to me is Starfox 2, but I'm not buying a separate system for one game. Everything else I'm interested in is available on Wii U or New 3DS Virtual Console. 

I hope everyone who's getting one enjoys it. Of that list, I played Super Metroid on Wii U and Yoshi's Island on GBA in the past few years, and I liked both. Yoshi's Island has a pretty big difficulty jump at the end though, I never managed to beat the last boss. 

Image result for super mario world nintendo power

Released in 1991 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Mario World would become one of the most successful video games of the time selling over 20 million copies worldwide.  A follow-up to the critically acclaimed NES game Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World stars series protagonist Mario as he jumps, spin jumps, flies, climbs, Yoshi rides, and pipe surfs across 72+ levels of pure platforming nirvana.  Tasked with rescuing Princess Toadstool once again, Mario and his brother Luigi must team up with new friend Yoshi and bring peace to Dinosaur Land, vowing to stop Bowser once and for all.

Super Mario World was a pack-in game with the SNES in America.  It has been re-released on SNES with Mario All-Stars, and the Nintendo Wii's virtual console.   It was the first 2D 16-bit game featuring linear transformation in the franchise and is considered by many to be one of the best games ever made.  Shigeru Miyamoto, the games producer, says that Super Mario World was made with franchise veterans and newcomers alike. 

-" SMB3 was made for experienced players who had delved deep into the previous Mario games. In contrast, we aimed to make SMW friendly to beginners as well, but still exciting for those who played SMB3".  -Shigeru Miyamoto.

Image result for super mario world level

Edited by angelgrievous
  • Like 1

Hmmm... I cannot see that much exciting for a plug-and-play machine that will be limited in numbers (knowing Nintendo’s marketing practice to make a lot of stuff in limited quantities like Amiibos and the NES Classic) before getting discountinued while the demand is still high and scammers on eBay sell units 3 times more than the retail price. It’ll be reserved for those fortunate to get one.

Lucky you for all those who pre-ordered in time within the hours before it became out of stock. Really bad for those who won’t have the chance. At least, it exists the emulators or the option of playing the old-school way with the actual SNES and cartridges.

Edited by Maxie Mouse

10 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Released in 1991 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Mario World would become one of the most successful video games of the time selling over 20 million copies worldwide.  A follow-up to the critically acclaimed NES game Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World stars series protagonist Mario as he jumps, spin jumps, flies, climbs, Yoshi rides, and pipe surfs across 72+ levels of pure platforming nirvana.  Tasked with rescuing Princess Toadstool once again, Mario and his brother Luigi must team up with new friend Yoshi and bring peace to Dinosaur Land, vowing to stop Bowser once and for all.

Super Mario World was a pack-in game with the SNES in America.  It has been re-released on SNES with Mario All-Stars, and the Nintendo Wii's virtual console.   It was the first 2D 16-bit game featuring linear transformation in the franchise and is considered by many to be one of the best games ever made.  Shigeru Miyamoto, the games producer, says that Super Mario World was made with franchise veterans and newcomers alike. 

-" SMB3 was made for experienced players who had delved deep into the previous Mario games. In contrast, we aimed to make SMW friendly to beginners as well, but still exciting for those who played SMB3".  -Shigeru Miyamoto.

Nice retrospective! I especially liked the cool Nintendo Power scan. Oh man I miss that magazine. I never subscribed but I got issues here and there, and it was so cool. It would be awesome if it got resurrected somehow. 

Anyway, Super Mario World is my favorite Mario game, hands down. I played it a bit on my friend's SNES (I never owned one until getting one from eBay a decade or so ago, which has mostly gone unused), and then played it through completely on GBA, Wii, and Wii U. I also have it on New 3DS where I haven't finished it yet. What a great game, it's so great to just pick up and play also. 

I don't know if anyone getting the SNES Classic will be experiencing this gem for the first time, but if so, enjoy! I hope it comes to Switch before long. I'll grab it again even if it doesn't have a "previous digital owner" discount. 

I also think Miyamoto's quote is interesting. SMW does seem to be slightly more accessible than SMB3, but that doesn't make it less great. It's no Super Meat Boy but that's one of the things I love about it. 

• Like 1

Image result for earthbound nintendo power

Released in 1994 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Earthbound (Mother 2 in Japan) was a Japanese Role-Playing Game developed by Ape INC. and HAL laboratory and published by Nintendo.  Earthbound was the first game in the Mother series to be localized for the west and and was not as successful as it was in Japan.  It has since become somewhat of a cult classic with many praising it as one of the best RPGs of all time.  

The game, directed by Shigesato Itori, took many traditional RPG elements and threw them out the window.  While you still fought battles and gained experience points to level, Earthbound was not set in some fantasy land or far off planet.  Earthbound took place in a modern setting and made many satirical references to Western culture.  This was perhaps due to the lead localization developer Marcus Lindblom, whom was given complete freedom to make the game as weird as he wanted for the western audience.  While trying to stay as true to the original script as he could, Lindblom was encouraged to add things more western, thus the game includes references to Bugs Bunny, and This is Spinal Tap, amongst others.  

Related image

Earthbound launched with a small strategy guide and a set of scratch and sniff cards to add further to the marketing campaign claiming the game stinks (see above).  The game is currently available on original hardware albeit very expensive or the Wii's Virtual Console.  One of the more unique features of the game was it's anti-piracy protection that would add more enemies to the game when triggered and would completely reset and delete the save file on any pirated game nearing the end.  

I would like to get one for the kids to play. I actually have an original SNES (and NES), but haven't had it powered on in 20 yrs. Don't know if it would even work now. I know I had Star Fox and FZERO.

Going to see if I can get the wife to try her luck tomorrow. I'll be stuck at work all day, but there are a ton of stores around here that are supposed to have stock and didn't offer pre-orders.

Probably will be harder to convince the missus to line up than to actually find one :P

• Like 1

I really don't see the point of these. You can get all of the games on VC (barring Star Fox 2, but I bet that will change soon) and even then I have all of the carts still and play them on the Retron 5. The fact that there's no way to play your own carts or download more (without hacking into them anyway) just makes them so pointless. 

42 minutes ago, Auralancer42 said:

I really don't see the point of these. You can get all of the games on VC (barring Star Fox 2, but I bet that will change soon) and even then I have all of the carts still and play them on the Retron 5. The fact that there's no way to play your own carts or download more (without hacking into them anyway) just makes them so pointless. 

Well, I imagine there are a few reasons people, like myself, want one of these.  Collecting purposes, price, convenience, modern displays, etc.  I mean good for you that you have all of those carts that you can play on your Retron 5 but not everyone does.  If I wanted to play all of these games I'd have to buy a system to play them, and then buy each and every cart.  That would cost me close to $1000 usd, if not more.  Or, as I have chosen, buy the SNES classic for $80 usd and have one of, if not the best collection of games in one simple package. Obviously this is marketed towards people that don't have a SNES collection and perhaps want to dive into some of it's more popular or well regarded games without the hassle of buying from some third parties.  

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your opinion though.  If you end up getting one be sure to stop back by and join the rest of us enjoying our new toy. 

23 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

Waiting to get mine right now.

are you getting a midnight release or waiting in line at a store in hopes of scoring one?  I've got to wait until I get off work tomorrow.  

23 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Image result for super mario world nintendo power

You just made me realise that the SNES and the Switch are the only Nintendo home consoles that I bought new instead of used.