How long have you been playing video games?

ShadowStar83x

On 9/28/2021 at 11:38 AM, ScarecrowsFate said:

To the best of my hazy recollection, my fascination with games must have begun around 1988, with the Sega Master System and Atari 2600. The first games I ever touched were Phantasy Star, Combat, and Joust.

Joust!!  That was a classic.  I think that was the 1st arcade machine that I was addicted to at a young age.  Corner store deli always had an arcade machine, and the guy had that 1st, rampage after that, and final fight after that.  3 of my favorites.  Also, my babysitter's husband had a pac man arcade machine in his basement along with donkey kong. 

One of my earliest gaming memories was pitfall on Atari and intentionally jumping into the alligator's mouth because I thought it was funny and my dad getting pissed.  :lol:  

• Like 1

@kinnyman  Indeed, although I only played the home version, usually versus my dad. We also had Rampage on the SMS, and I used to get so upset when my character (Lizzie, I think) would shrink into their human form and my older brother ate them for health. ?

Speaking of arcade machines, my childhood Little Caesars (terrible American pizza chain) location actually had a Splatterhouse cabinet, which amazes me now, considering how controversial that game would have been at the time. I could barely survive the first screen as a kid, but it began my love affair with that series. Sadly, it was only present for around a month before disappearing—maybe a parent complained about the violence.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

@kinnyman  Indeed, although I only played the home version, usually versus my dad. We also had Rampage on the SMS, and I used to get so upset when my character (Lizzie, I think) would shrink into their human form and my older brother ate them for health. 1f605.png

Speaking of arcade machines, my childhood Little Caesars (terrible American pizza chain) location actually had a Splatterhouse cabinet, which amazes me now, considering how controversial that game would have been at the time. I could barely survive the first screen as a kid, but it began my love affair with that series. Sadly, it was only present for around a month before disappearing—maybe a parent complained about the violence.

Hahaha   Good times!  Me and my brother did the same.  We'd spend more time trying to kill each other rather than destroy the buildings.

Splatterhouse....another classic.  My friend got a TG 16 for xmas one year specifically for that game.  Never knew that was ported from the arcade.  The tg 16 version was pretty brutal considering the time, so I can't imagine how graphic the arcade version must have been.  Tough game.  We always took turns getting our asses kicked.  Never did beat that one.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kinnyman said:

The tg 16 version was pretty brutal considering the time, so I can't imagine how graphic the arcade version must have been.  Tough game.  We always took turns getting our asses kicked.  Never did beat that one.

Oh, for sure. I was only able to finish it much later as an adult, and that still required a lot of practice. Knowing that the overpowered slide attack exists makes a big difference (down-forward-attack just as you land from a jump is the input, I believe). Besides making you nearly invincible, it deals a ton of damage, and moves you through the stages faster. I've beaten it a few times now, along with the sequels. ?

If you still have a PS3 lying around like me, the 2010 Splatterhouse reboot includes all three retro games on disc. It's pretty sweet.

• Like 1

I remember the hardest game I played on the Spectrum was the Predator game. For ages I couldn't last more than a few seconds without getting those Predator shots locking on and killing me. It was only years later when I checked a Longplay vid on Youtube that I realised there was a wall there you had to jump. Shite graphics were major problem back then lol. I think thats why we still played out so much lol. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...