Gone Fishing

Which was Better: PS1 or PS2?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. PS1 or PS2

• PS1
    • PS2

12 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

But which do you think was more influencial for it's time (market-wise, culturally, on the gaming landscape, etc)? Thats really what is the question at the heart of the poll. :P

Those are two completely different questions. Which one is better is a different question than which is more influential.

Let's use the iPhone as an example. Which one is better is usually going to be answered with one of the latest editions. It has more memory, more features, sharper screen images, etc., etc. But which is more influential? Well, that's obvious. The iPhone 1 changed the world with the introduction of the smart phone to the masses. If the Smithsonian were to choose to one iPhone to put into its historic collection, it would pick the first one because that one changed history.

So back to consoles, the PS1 changed the industry. It was much more influential than the PS2 was. But the PS2 was better because it had more features. Using that logic, the NES easily takes the title as most influential Nintendo product and its not even close. The NES didn't just revolutionize the gaming industry, it changed the culture on a world-wide scale. Society is different because of the release of the NES. 

That alone is enough to rate it my #1!

(ok maybe a little over the top) 

But in all seriousness in the end it was the Golden age of Jrpgs, and is the only Playstation console with games that I continue to go back to today frequently.

Ps2 very few, if any, and not consistently that I revist. 

Thats my opinion. 

Now enjoy this montage of ps1 games! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I was just being a bit facetious... though I do think it's a little early to call the Switch their best console, personally.  It's off to a whopper of a good start, with Zelda BotW and Mario Odyssey.  And noticeable third party and indie support.  Throw in a fresh new Smash Bros and I'll probably be there with you.

And I think kids might have a hard time understanding why the SNES was so good (kinda like people not understanding the N64 ^^). Nothing wrong with liking what you like though.

Just for the record, I had to google "facetious" :) usually I'm good with wordy lines but occasionally I still see an English word I don't recognise.

I don't think it would be too early to call the Switch the best. I'm not doing it alrrady myself but the hybrid thing is such an important move... A year ago, even I thought it to be a mere gimmick, but I now honestly believe it to be a game changer and I feel like if that aspect is important enough to someone, they could already call the Switch the best right now, taking in mind that the release schedule should be kept as good as it is now.

7 hours ago, Caesar Clown said:

That's basically asking you which one of your children you love more. I can't answer this question.

Natalie. Frank's an asshole.

1 hour ago, Fragtaster said:

Which is better means a lot of things. But perhaps I should have been more specific in the question listed as the title. I want to know which was objectively better influence and overall product for its time.

Though I titled it 'which is better', I thought the post that followed explained this clearly (pretty sure if you read my op it's all in that short paragraph)?

You asked "best in their time" so we're looking back on how we saw them back then :)

Personally on a wider scale I don't think either was that important, as it was only with PS3 and its great exclusives that Sony really started to get ahead of the others. PS1 was not as good as the N64 in my eyes and PS2 maybe the same level as the GameCube.

33 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

N64 better than PS1? Hmm. The PS1 sold vastely better than the N64 in the North America and Saturn sold way better in japan. Objectively the N64 was sort of a flop for Nintendo coming off of the dominance of the NES and SNES in those regions. :P

On the otherhand, sales don't necessarily make something better, and I really truly did love the N64. So while I would disagree, I still very much respect your opinion that N64 was better. Plus my all time favorite game, Ocarina of Time, is a N64 game - so N64 was EXTREMELY influential to me. :D

PS1 sold better just about everywhere (Sony played better into the market and it was the time that disc was favoured over cartridge) but I would still argue that N64 was the better console because of a library that, to me, is more fun - and N64 had four player games. PS1 is mainly important because Nintendo suddenly lost their monopoly and in turn it made Nintendo focus more on innovation. Of course, the PS1 was cracked pretty fast and people could have someone alter it so that you could play any game on it without actually paying for the games, which no doubt helped the sales of the hardware. It was still the early days of 3D gaming and in my opinion, PS1 games didn't use that extra dimension that well, it didn't look as good as the better games on the N64 did. On PS1 it all looked like a bad PC to me, while the N64 graphics had their own identity. Maybe it was because graphics on the PS1 were crisper, highlighting the limitations.

Edited by Pickle Rick
  • Like 2

The topics being totally derailed :/

Don't have to go down a rabbit hole, and it's only between Playstation 1 and 2.

None of the others

And not Nintendo, Sega, or Microsoft. 

A shame because this could have been a fun thread :(

• Like 1

If 5th or 6th era games were best? I much prefer 5th era over 6th. :) 5th had so much innovation, companies tried so much different, and you often got a lot more lower budget games. 6th era had all my favorite genres sort of dying and getting ruined. The games got more generic and polished. Less room for lower budget games. 6th era had many great games, but for every one of those 5th era had more and often the better IMO. That's not to say 6th era didn't have more games I think, but the same generic, sometimes polished, sometimes unpolished turd over and over, isn't that interesting to me.

Edited by MMDE

5 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Just for the record, I had to google "facetious" :) usually I'm good with wordy lines but occasionally I still see an English word I don't recognise.

I don't think it would be too early to call the Switch the best. I'm not doing it alrrady myself but the hybrid thing is such an important move... A year ago, even I thought it to be a mere gimmick, but I now honestly believe it to be a game changer and I feel like if that aspect is important enough to someone, they could already call the Switch the best right now, taking in mind that the release schedule should be kept as good as it is now.

I had to google "facetious" before posting to make sure it meant something anywhere close to what I thought it did. xD  I dunno if it really worked there, but close enough.

Yeah, I do tend to overlook the handheld hybrid aspect since I use it docked 99.9% of the time.  It's a great idea, executed really well (where other companies probably would've made a mess of it) with a great growing library to boot.  I see your point, but like you said... it's probably something better to look back on in a few years and really see how the Switch did before trying to compare it to Nintendo's other systems.  To each their own though.

4 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

None of the others

I think it's important to fairly look at the circumstances (technical barriers, developer/publisher relationships (exclusives), competition, etc) surrounding both consoles in their respective time periods if you want to do a proper comparison, especially since the OP seems to be interested in asking the question of "which 'was' better at the time" versus "which would you rather own today".  Clearly others don't agree with that... but it's certainly relevant to the topic IMO.

Edited by Dreakon13

4 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

None of the others

32 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I think it's important to fairly look at the circumstances (technical barriers, developer/publisher relationships (exclusives), competition, etc) surrounding both consoles in their respective time periods if you want to do a proper comparison, especially since the OP seems to be interested in asking the question of "which 'was' better at the time" versus "which would you rather own today".  Clearly others don't agree with that... but it's certainly relevant to the topic IMO.

I agree with Dreakon that comparisons with other consoles are relevant to the topic. You can't talk about which one of the two was better in their time without checking, you know, what their respective times were about.

1 hour ago, Pickle Rick said:

I agree with Dreakon that comparisons with other consoles are relevant to the topic. You can't talk about which one of the two was better in their time without checking, you know, what their respective times were about.

@Dreakon13 @Pickle Rick

Of course you guys would be ok with it! You're the ones talking about other consoles lol!! : ) 

It's not that I completely disagree with what you guys are saying.

But sometimes a thread is just what it is, something fun and direct. Doesn't have to get all down and dirty. 

Otherwise the question might as well be "what's the better console out of all of them". 

It's just meant to be a fun thread to get people's opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

@Dreakon13 @Pickle Rick

Of course you guys would be ok with it! You're the ones talking about other consoles lol!! : ) 

But sometimes a thread is just what it is, something fun and direct. Doesn't have to get all down and dirty. 

Otherwise the question might as well be "what's the better console out of all of them". 

Well, seeing as the question is which of the two is the best for their time, I kind of feel the need to compare to Nintendo consoles of the time, which I owned back then while playing PlayStation at other people's. Looking at it like that, PS1 didn't measure up to N64 for me but PS2 did measure up to GC, and PS2 having games like GTA 3, Jak1 and Shadow Of The Colossus planted the seed in my mind that I shouldn't only play on Nintendo consoles, which is why I added a non-Nintendo console to my collection the next generation. This changed the way I game for me, which is why I would say PS2 is the better of the two, and which is why I sincerely feel like I have to look at the wider picture when deciding on an answer. Sorry if that's not the idea of the thread.

23 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

@Dreakon13 @Pickle Rick

:)

I don't really see the issue necessarily.

There's nothing stopping you from steering the topic in whatever direction you want, or allowing the thread to maintain two different but similarly relevant conversations.  Which happens all the time... that's what quotes/mentions and notifications are for.  There are plenty of people who made "fun and direct" posts about their preferred console of the two (even if that wasn't really what the OP was asking for IMO).  Rather than further derailing the topic and watching any conversation abruptly stop... as we can see it has... by talking about how disappointed you are that the thread isn't going how you wanted, instead of just talking about whatever you wanted to.

Just my take on it anyways... ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

• 4 weeks later...

The PS2 was my favourite, mostly due to the games. It had some of my favourite titles including FFX, X-2, XII, KH1, KH1, Sonic Heroes, DBZ Budokai 2 etc. I also rented a lot of games in te days of rental stores like Ratchet and Clank. Backward compatibility was another great feature

As a kid I was also addicted to the Bratz games (embarrassing, I know) and had played every one of them until completion (there was 4 of them). 

The PSOne established the market so the PS2 had the following upon it's release. Technologically, the PSOne was more groundbreaking since revolutionized the controllers to being partially analog during it's lifetime and was the system that revolutionized the graphics from being sprite-based to polygonal...along with the push for true 3-D environments. The PSOne broke thru the Geek barrier and brought gaming to the mainstream with Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid.

It's hard for me... I grew with PS1 and it's a important friend, in the other hand PS2 was the reason who reinforce my love for games and sony... I can't say just one, so I think both are the best inside the context and time back in 1994/1999 and early 2000 with PS2. ? of course PSP was also an amazing system!

• Like 1