2018's Ultimate Team Plat Race™ - Final Stats/Event Completed

Here’s the latest points update.

Team A has 5441.36 points with 63 plats.

Team Sheep has 4720.45 points with 38 plats.

Dark Souls Remastered came out on Friday and I had hoped to put in 30 hours over the weekend which I was able to. Of course I didn’t get much sleep either. I was hoping to plat the game inside of 3 weeks but with the progress I made it’ll be easily done within 2 weeks. Also this coming Monday is a public holiday so that’s even more time to game. Depending on how long it takes me to go through the DLC (which isn’t required for the plat but I want to play anyway) I could potentially have the plat by the end of this weekend. It’s a fantastic game but a lot harder than I remember. It also doesn’t help that I played Bloodborne for a few days beforehand and getting around in DS is considerably slower in comparison. I also had to get used to using a shield again unlike in Bloodborne and Nioh. It’s still an amazing game and runs really well and at the moment I just want to get my first playthrough done so I can move onto NG+ where I only need to go through the game and not collect things and farm for items.

• Like 1

This will probably be my last plat for this month.

1L036a11.png

Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed

Rarity at this time: 24.75

Average completion time: over 36 hours = x 1.25

The grind wasn't as bad as I had expected, although it was still pretty boring. Up to that point I enjoyed the game though, and it was more fun than Rebirth 1 or Hyperdevotion Noire.

Since Megatagmension seems to be similar in gameplay, I'll probably go for that one as well in the near future.

• Like 1

Just a short update.

Finished my 3rd plythrough of Alone With You yesterday, and now it's time to take a break from it again. The Vita version has some severe performance issues at random. During every playthrough the framerate dropped to 1 at some point and the only fix is to quit and restart the game, losing all progress that hasn't been auto-saved up to that point.

Am now in dungeon 5 of Spellspire and already can't be bothered to keep going.

On a positive note, I started Megatagmension and it seems to be fun so far.

• Like 1

A small update:

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is a great little gem. I'm really glad that I got it during the Big in Japan sale. Right now I'm going through the various endings. Just started on the True Ending. I guess I'll be doing Boss Rushes today. Might even get the plat tomorrow.

• Like 2

At this rate you'll have taken back the lead by the end of the month xD .

3 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

It’s a double plat day for me today.

:platinum:#180 - Dark Souls Remastered

1L350be5.png

and of course

:platinum:#181 and :hidden:#10,000 - Red Dead Redemption

1La7446b.png

Is the DS remaster noticeably different from the original version that would justify it's price point?

1 hour ago, Edunstar84 said:

A small update:

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is a great little gem. I'm really glad that I got it during the Big in Japan sale. Right now I'm going through the various endings. Just started on the True Ending. I guess I'll be doing Boss Rushes today. Might even get the plat tomorrow.

I somewhat regret not having picked that up during the sale, as the physical copy is still somewhat pricey. I had already spent around 50 bucks during that sale though, so I didn't want to push it :P

Not much going on on my front. I've been getting sidetracked by games I might not have the patience to complete. I'm about 45 hours into Akiba's Beat and am a chapter away from beating the game. So I'll probably hit the 50 hour mark when that happens. The post game stuff is another good 20-30 hours of pure grinding. Including finishing a dungeon of 25 floors, without fast travel between floors. Then there's quests to complete for said dungeon, which leads to having to partially or fully complete it another 4-5 times. Not to mention leveling up every character to 99 (They're around 50 at this point and only active party members get XP), and of course beating all the ranks in the arena with all characters. If only the combat wasn't janky as fuck, it wouldn't be too bad.

Other than that I've been making some progress in Megatagmentsion. Currently in Chapter 8 and am focusing on getting all the events. This game has way too much stuff to keep track of. Still need to buy a bunch of weapons, unlock all characters, kill all enemy types, get all treasures (which are luck based), get to max level and complete the second game mode.

So yeah, a lot of stuff to do. I'll probably squeeze in a few other games throughout this month, just so I don't go completely insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edunstar84 said:

A small update:

It truly is a gem of a game, wish there more games like it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Is the DS remaster noticeably different from the original version that would justify it's price point?

It’s been 6 years since I played the PS3 version so I don’t remember how it ran but the PS4 version looks great and runs very smoothly. I paid NZ$70 for it which given how quickly I got through it makes it seem rather expensive so it may be worth waiting for it to go on sale if you’re interested in getting it. Compare that with Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen for PS4 which full price is NZ$50 which is a reasonable price given I spent 125 hours on just one playthrough on the PS3 version. If I hadn’t been wanting to play DS day one then I would’ve waited for a better price.

@voodoo_eyes - I can understand not wanting to push your budget a bit; there were many games I wanted to buy. I would've liked to have the physical version of the game, but you're right it is pretty expensive, and I'm less likely to double-dip since I already purchased it for the Vita. If NIS America/Europe does have a sale, or I get a coupon, I might be tempted to get it again. 

Is Akiba's Beat that bad? I have it on my wishlist, but I've heard about the gameplay being a bit weird. I have too many games in my backlog and on my wishlist to waste space for games like that. 

53 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

It’s been 6 years since I played the PS3 version so I don’t remember how it ran but the PS4 version looks great and runs very smoothly. I paid NZ$70 for it which given how quickly I got through it makes it seem rather expensive so it may be worth waiting for it to go on sale if you’re interested in getting it. Compare that with Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen for PS4 which full price is NZ$50 which is a reasonable price given I spent 125 hours on just one playthrough on the PS3 version. If I hadn’t been wanting to play DS day one then I would’ve waited for a better price.

Fair enough. I still have the ps3 version in my backlog (as well as 2 and still need to buy the third one), but I think I lost my save file for it. So I was considering getting the remastered version, if it had enough actual improvements over the original version. I'll probably hold off on it for now though.

41 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

@voodoo_eyes - I can understand not wanting to push your budget a bit; there were many games I wanted to buy. I would've liked to have the physical version of the game, but you're right it is pretty expensive, and I'm less likely to double-dip since I already purchased it for the Vita. If NIS America/Europe does have a sale, or I get a coupon, I might be tempted to get it again. 

Is Akiba's Beat that bad? I have it on my wishlist, but I've heard about the gameplay being a bit weird. I have too many games in my backlog and on my wishlist to waste space for games like that. 

Akiba's Beat is barely decent. The combat is one of my major complaints about it. It kind of tries to be like the Tales games, but it doesn't feel smooth and the Action Points are used up too quickly so it feels sluggish as the characters stand still doing nothing for a few seconds at a time. There is a lack of enemy types as well (about 10 I think, which just change in colour), Navigating through the city constantly pops up loading screens during transitional areas, which is annoying because the map isn't even that big.

I have a feeling the AI is not very good either. I have my party members set to use items automatically whenever they need to heal of something. They've never used an item on their own, so I constantly have to micro manage during battles. I'm also certain that they will still attack enemies with elemental attacks they are resistant to, even though they have attacks at their disposal to which the enemy is vulnerable to.

The story while interesting in concept, albeit not new (at least to me), is drowned out by the overcommitment on the game trying to make you bond with each of the characters. Basically you'll have to run back and forth around the city to do side events on the most stupid and pointless tasks possible.

Then there's the characters, which all try to be a personification of a specific personality trait. It's emphasized way too much though, to the point where it becomes obnoxious. Speaking of obnoxious... the support characters are the fucking worst. Everytime you walk past a save point/shop/dungeon/treasure/enemy, it triggers a voice line that can't be turned off.

Honestly the only remotely positive thing I can say about it, is that the dialogues (of which there are a ton btw) are all fully voiced (mostly by the voice actors from FF XV), and that the music fits the game perfectly.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

Here is the latest points update and I’ve also updated the rarities for all games.

Team A has 5511.31 points with 64 plats.

Team Sheep has 5321.29 points with 42 plats.

With several rather high scoring games Team Sheep have really closed the gap up (even though I’ll lose a few points as the DS Remastered rarity goes up).

In a few minutes I’ll be starting on my next game which is God Of War (2018). I have zero interest in this game as it is so different from the previous games that I don’t consider it a GoW game so I’ll be approaching it as a stand alone game. I absolutely love the GoW series however I was so disinterested in this new one that I had no intention of buying the game however a workmate has lent me the game so I won’t say no to playing it for free. I get the feeling a part of me wants to not like the game because of the direction it has been taken in but no doubt I will enjoy the game anyway. The one thing I know that will annoy me is that the game gives basically no explanation whatsoever as to how Kratos has landed in Norse mythology but with the director planning another 4 or 5 sequels (milking it much?) maybe they will explain everything.

I've been making some progress in Megatagmension. I finished he story mode and all that's left now is finish the pseudo multiplayer mode, get to level 99 with a character (currently 63 I think), and farm the missions for treasures and enemy types. The treasures are completely down to RNG, and the enemies apparently are dependent on actual weekdays. Seems like I'll have to adjust the internal clock to get that nonsense over with. I really do wonder sometimes how some of these design choices are made.

What are you guys playing this weekend?

Started Lightning Returns, and it's already a chore. I'm at the beginning of the game, so I hope it gets a bit easier to manage later on. I might also start another game, if FF13-3 gets a bit too much. Maybe Gravity Rush 2, heard the online features will be closed the beginning of July.

16 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

What are you guys playing this weekend?

Started Lightning Returns, and it's already a chore. I'm at the beginning of the game, so I hope it gets a bit easier to manage later on. I might also start another game, if FF13-3 gets a bit too much. Maybe Gravity Rush 2, heard the online features will be closed the beginning of July.

Is that the one with the time constraint?

I might get back into yakuza 6 and make that plat 20.