Gold Crown Count and Playtime

hr_kriese

Hes saying that if you get a Kulu Ya Ku that is 809, the next time your records update for a smaller monster it will be 800 or 791 or whatever increment of 9.

All in all it has exactly zero relevance because you don't get the crown until you hit 773 for example.

Him being as he states '2 levels away from all crowns', he is as far away as someone who has the absolute middle weight. So disregard it, it's pointless information.

Also, I thought i'd try a 3 attempt Kushala Daora, to test the theory of 3 & 5 attempt investigations harbouring higher chances of crowns, and 1st try I got Gold Large. It's very interesting this information, and also information we've not had until now.

Edited by Jarod1990

33 minutes ago, Jarod1990 said:

Hes saying that if you get a Kulu Ya Ku that is 809, the next time your records update for a smaller monster it will be 800 or 791 or whatever increment of 9.

All in all it has exactly zero relevance because you don't get the crown until you hit 773 for example.

Him being as he states '2 levels away from all crowns', he is as far away as someone who has the absolute middle weight. So disregard it, it's pointless information.

Also, I thought i'd try a 3 attempt Kushala Daora, to test the theory of 3 & 5 attempt investigations harbouring higher chances of crowns, and 1st try I got Gold Large. It's very interesting this information, and also information we've not had until now.

Thanks for such a detailed answer. Now it's clear.

P.S. Got my 10 small crown and trophy 5 mins ago. It was mini Pink Rathian on 3 tries investigation (Pink Rathian, Barroth, Kulu-Ya-Ku).

Does it make sense to replay investigations in which you already got some kind of crown? Is there a chance to get another crown for another monster ? Someone knows?

Edited by Nucle377

10 minutes ago, Nucle377 said:

Thanks for such a detailed answer. Now it's clear.

P.S. Got my 10 small crown and trophy 5 mins ago. It was mini Pink Rathian on 3 tries investigation (Pink Rathian, Barroth, Kulu-Ya-Ku).

Does it make sense to replay investigations in which you already got some kind of crown? Is there a chance to get another crown for another monster ? Someone knows?

I'm testing right now. So far it seems like it will change, but I can not speak of the range yet.

Edited by Rhevarr

1 hour ago, Jarod1990 said:

You are wrong. The size as far as I know has 3 variations, 800 791 and 782 are mini crowns, so if you got 809 you missed just by one level. Same thing with gold big crown, they have 3 sizes, thats why people are getting gold crown updates in gold crowns they already had. Basically you have 3 shots to earn the crown, no just one determinated size 

https://mhcrown.com/mhworld/en/kuluyaku/

Here, 793, 802 and 811, all of them are mini crowns. I have the 811 and it is a crown. Also i have other monsters with the smallest possible size too. What I am trying to tell you is, if you got like 820 Kulu you just missed by one level and what I said was almost every monster Im missing for one level in 180 hours with 20 mini and 14 gold giant now, so its not that hard.

Edited by fujitora22

8 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

I'm going to start trying these 3 tries missions.

Quick question @spiddel , did you find much of a difference between tempered and non-tempered?

it's hard to say.

4/5 of my elder dragon largests came from tempered quests, and I still don't think it matters at all. my theory as to why people are getting better results with tempered missions is that they cannot appear as "repeatable 8 times" investigations.

the only information that makes me think that temperedness could increase the size multiplier is that someone reported getting a gold crown nergigante on the HR100 optional quest.

• Like 1

Got another mini crown from another 3 tries mission (Kulu).

2 hours ago, Rhevarr said:

Does the same investigation offer differenz sizes? Like, I got the small crown I wanted, but I have two more trys. Can I go for the big one in this one as well?

I can't say for sure about gold crowns, but I had a couple of cases today when the same monster in same investigation was large silver crown and almost mini crown.

Anyone else having this issue, I'm constantly joining investigations but it doesn't matter which monster I'm hunting I won't get a size update. Am I that close to a big/small crown or just the worst luck ever ?

120 hours in, got 2 mini and 1 big, but almost everything with a silver crown. Really freaking annoying.

8 hours ago, Jarod1990 said:

Him being as he states '2 levels away from all crowns', he is as far away as someone who has the absolute middle weight. So disregard it, it's pointless information..

Why are so many people in this forum so "allergic" to getting new info, especially if the new info is correct? smh

Because @fujitora22 is right:

There are always three fixed sizes that yield a Mini Crown and three for the Golden Giant Crown. And then there is a lot in between.

Now what he tried to explain is the following: (Disclaimer: I may be wrong about this all)

According to various (mostly Japanese) sources online, the setting of the size works like this:

- You start a quest: the monster gets a size assigned from its ... let's call it: size pool (a number x of possible sizes the monster can have. It makes sense that the devs limited this because imagine f.ex. a monster with smallest size 500 and biggest 1000, there would be 500 different size possibilities, which would render the chance for a Crown minuscule)

- If you fail the quest: the size will be changed/updated for the next try

- If you complete the quest: the size will be updated for the next try

- If you retire the quest: the size will NOT be changed

That's one thing to keep in mind.

The other is that the size increments are fixed. You can find them f.ex. on mhcrown.com 

An example:

The possible sizes on Negrigante that yield a Golden Giant Crown are 2273.19, 2291.67 and 2310.14. The difference between these three sizes is always 18.48. (EDIT: for Negrigante it's 18.48. It's different for other monsters)

Same for miniature: the smallest is 1626.35, add to that 18.48 and you get the next one which is 1644.83 etc. If you can do sums, you can find out the third Mini Crown without needing to check on mhcrown.com ;)

This means that the "size pool" of Negrigante consists of the values you get each time you go from max (2310.14) and distract 18.48 until you reach 1626.35 or in other words: (2310,14 - 1626,35) / 18,48 = How many different sized Negrigantes exist. In this case: 36 or 37 sizes should exist for Negrigante. Since three of those sizes grant Mini Crown and three of them grant Golden Crown, there are (let's go with 36) 30 sizes that don't grant a golden crown. That gives you an idea about the odds.

But now for the interesting part:

If I understood it correctly (and I hope I did, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) everytime a quest is completed or failed and the size gets updated, it moves one up or down from the size the monster had during the quest. So I had f.ex. now a Large Silver Crown Negrigante which had a size of 2217.74. That's 55,45 away from the smallest Giant Gold Crown (2273,19) or - divided by 18.48 - roughly three "sizes" away. This means restarting this quest will either move me two sizes closer to the crown (if it goes one step up) or four sizes away from the crown (if it goes one down). Since this is an Investigation that I can only play three times and already used one, I only have two tries left. If the size always goes up after finishing and retrying the quest, I will still be one try short of the golden one - so it makes no sense to replay this quest if I'm only aiming for the crown. (and even more so for the Mini Crown because you will never get it with this Investigation)

Now If I happened instead on a Negrigante that's only one step away from the Golden Crown, there is a 50% chance that when I play the quest again, it will be the Golden Crown. (same for Mini).

This knowledge can be used to check the odds for the crowns (after finishing the quest once) to see if its worth the retry or not.

Again a disclaimer: this is how I understood this and maybe I am dead wrong. I'm simply telling you what I was able to find out online with bad translations :D So take it with a grain of salt until somebody can confirm that I did not misunderstood the principle.

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sicho said:

Why are so many people in this forum so "allergic" to getting new info, especially if the new info is correct? smh

There are always three fixed sizes that yield a Mini Crown and three for the Golden Giant Crown. And then there is a lot in between.

Now what he tried to explain is the following: (Disclaimer: I may be wrong about this all)

According to various (mostly Japanese) sources online, the setting of the size works like this:

- You start a quest: the monster gets a size assigned from its ... let's call it: size pool (a number x of possible sizes the monster can have. It makes sense that the devs limited this because imagine f.ex. a monster with smallest size 500 and biggest 1000, there would be 500 different size possibilities, which would render the chance for a Crown minuscule)

The other is that the size increments are fixed. You can find them f.ex. on mhcrown.com 

An example:

The possible sizes on Negrigante that yield a Golden Giant Crown are 2273.19, 2291.67 and 2310.14. The difference between these three sizes is always 18.48. (EDIT: for Negrigante it's 18.48. It's different for other monsters)

Same for miniature: the smallest is 1626.35, add to that 18.48 and you get the next one which is 1644.83 etc. If you can do sums, you can find out the third Mini Crown without needing to check on mhcrown.com ;)

This means that the "size pool" of Negrigante consists of the values you get each time you go from max (2310.14) and distract 18.48 until you reach 1626.35 or in other words: (2310,14 - 1626,35) / 18,48 = How many different sized Negrigantes exist. In this case: 36 or 37 sizes should exist for Negrigante. Since three of those sizes grant Mini Crown and three of them grant Golden Crown, there are (let's go with 36) 30 sizes that don't grant a golden crown. That gives you an idea about the odds.

If I understood it correctly (and I hope I did, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) everytime a quest is completed or failed and the size gets updated, it moves one up or down from the size the monster had during the quest. So I had f.ex. now a Large Silver Crown Negrigante which had a size of 2217.74. That's 55,45 away from the smallest Giant Gold Crown (2273,19) or - divided by 18.48 - roughly three "sizes" away. This means restarting this quest will either move me two sizes closer to the crown (if it goes one step up) or four sizes away from the crown (if it goes one down). Since this is an Investigation that I can only play three times and already used one, I only have two tries left. If the size always goes up after finishing and retrying the quest, I will still be one try short of the golden one - so it makes no sense to replay this quest if I'm only aiming for the crown. (and even more so for the Mini Crown because you will never get it with this Investigation)

Now If I happened instead on a Negrigante that's only one step away from the Golden Crown, there is a 50% chance that when I play the quest again, it will be the Golden Crown. (same for Mini).

This knowledge can be used to check the odds for the crowns (after finishing the quest once) to see if its worth the retry or not.

Again a disclaimer: this is how I understood this and maybe I am dead wrong. I'm simply telling you what I was able to find out online with bad translations :D So take it with a grain of salt until somebody can confirm that I did not misunderstood the principle.

Can not confirm. Had a small crown and next try it was a big silver.

-

Did two different investigations now, both with 3 tries and killed everything. 3 new crownes.

The theory brought up by Sicho is quite interesting but is also contradicted by my personal experiences. I feel like i’ve had monster sizes vary to a much greater extent from one attempt to the next than what the theory would explain.

Also generally reporting on my experiences with going for 3 stack investigations exclusively and i’m pretty confident in saying that them giving you better odds is more than just my confirmation bias. Got golden crowns at a rate of roughly 1 every 60-90 minutes checking the size of every monster on the map and killing it whenever it seemed off. Only got mini crowns today but i don’t want to jump to any conclusions about that just yet.

usually in crown hunting abandoning doesn't refresh the monster size, however, in this game it does. I can confirm this 100%. I abandoned and returned to camp for nearly every one past the first 20 I got.

my guess is that since returning to camp puts you in a fresh expedition, it changes the sizes for the next investigation. also saves a long load screen.

Edited by spiddel
oops

3 minutes ago, Rhevarr said:

@spiddel

Did you mostly used tempered investigations? Or normal HR quests?

And how the hell are you guessing the sized? We've tried to do so but we ended up beeing wrong most of the time.

I used every investigation I got that had 3-5 initial repetitions, tempered or not. multi hunt didn't matter because every quest has 3 monsters anyway, outside of elder dragons.

I was really bad at guessing sizes for some monsters too. I have killed/capped 180 barroths even after only fighting the ones I thought looked big. they all looked big to me eventually, was stuck on the barroth for more than an entire day.

after being confident you found something getting no size update stings especially since they removed the ability to check the sizes of hunted monsters in the mission complete screen.

5 hours ago, Sicho said:

Wrong on both accounts. Retiring the quest does updates the sizes and sizes often fluctuate wildly.

5 hours ago, Sicho said:

An example:

Yes brother, you got it. Dont know why people here react so bad when everyone is trying to give them more efficient options to farm according to their experiences.

Deep blue greens are giving the hell out of golden crowns

43 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Deep Green Blues.

Yeah, just did it once. Got a Large Gold crown for Pukei Pukei and two mini crowns for the Great Jagras and Anjanath. Also got a Silver large crown for the Rathalos but obviously that doesn't count. Gonna try it a few more times tomorrow to see if the sizes are random or not.

7 hours ago, spiddel said:

usually in crown hunting abandoning doesn't refresh the monster size, however, in this game it does. I can confirm this 100%. I abandoned and returned to camp for nearly every one past the first 20 I got.

good to know.