PS4 games -> Side box cover graphic

Bioshock94xLA

Hi everyone, just want to know if anybody else in this group loves to look at his collection of retail games and gets irritated when a game has a poor side box title graphic. This is especially the case with Sony exclusives, the last example I can make is the God of War cover.

I'm speaking primarly to European people because I've seen that Americans always get great title graphics on their covers.

European version

https://ibb.co/do696x

American version

https://ibb.co/ejRntc

Let me know what you think.. :)

• Like 1

You could always print out the American version and use that. I remember I did that with one of my 360 games because it was bothering me.

There was a site that makes alternative covers for games that you can print for free, not sure if it's still active though.

• Like 1

I think this happens because in America they like 'big stuff' which is more attractive to sell more, so the big letters with the logo stand put from the others.

In EU maybe they just don't care about this and prefer everything to be more homogeneous and standard, so the games look uniform.

Personally, I prefer the NA style, watching my games' side boxes is kinda boring, and the few games that have stylized sidebox really stand out and look really cool :)

• Like 1

I think it's ever been like this since the PS1 days. Europeans got the big (and imo cool looking) custom cases that mostly had a black spine with white text while US got thinner jewel cases where all would have differnt lettering and fonts, sometimes.

Japanese PS1 games mostly had a white spine with black text, similar to European PS2 spines.

This continued with the PS2, where most European (and afaik Japanese) games had a white spine with black text while US boxes had more colorful designs with backgrounds and logos instead of the plain text.

I personally don't really care about either. I like it if they all look different. Early PS3 games would even have a differnt design with the black Spider-Man font logo on red background before they changed it with the release of the PS3 slim.

Edited by soniq
  • Like 1

To be honest, I would prefer the side boxes to be all homogeneous. The way it's done in America makes my game shelf look messy and inconsistent. Sad thing is, even in Europe, there are plenty of games the use the flashier style used in America, therefore making my opinion a pipe dream.

Edited by jrdemr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, soniq said:

I think it's ever been like this since the PS1 days. Europeans got the big (and imo cool looking) custom cases that mostly had a black spine with white text while US got thinner jewel cases where all would have differnt lettering and fonts, sometimes.

Japanese PS1 games mostly had a white spine with black text, similar to European PS2 spines.

This continued with the PS2, where most European (and afaik Japanese) games had a white spine with black text while US boxes had more colorful designs with backgrounds and logos instead of the plain text.

Japan seems to have the most coherent approach to box art, they've been doing the white spine / black text thing for ages now. I like it.

I hate what Shadow likes :c But luckily outside of Square Enix stuff only Nights of Azure 2 has the white spine black basic text set up for my Ps4 games so far so it could be worse. Plain text is just kind of boring compared to the rest. Bar that though im easily pleased on the matter.

Like how every final fantasy is a white sidebar with generic black font text for it's title? Then world of final fantasy is a white background but uses the logo instead of generic black text? Madness

Or how Dragon Quest Heros is white background black text, but then Dragon Quest Heroes II is Black background with White Text? Maddening

Or both kingdom hearts games being black on white? As is Nobunagas ambition and super robot wars? 

ALL BY JAPANESE DEVELOPERS?? COINCIDENCE?? 

Odin Sphere at least bolded their side box text. Persona 5 is the logo but it's P5. Then you have Rayman Legends being a white background with just its logo, a Ubisoft game where none of there other games look like that nor did Rayman Origins. 

I have mostly Japanese games, and never really paid attention to it. But now that I look at it, it's usually just simple black boring block text on a white background for all my Tales and FF games. I have the EU version of Nier Automata which has the logos nice stylised text though. But otherwise the boring plain text seems to be common

I think a youtuber named Scoot the Woz is also talked about this as he prefers the ones that only label the name of the games in black and white or at least easier to read as it makes it easier to organize the games in an alphabetical order on the shelves.

I think he was right, though the ones with a stylish label do looks cool....... when done right.

I’m in the UK (for now part of Europe) and our spines are all over the place. This is my collection from the side so far: 

E399_DCB3-_B2_FA-413_C-_B22_A-8_BA067_A7

I love when things match on the side (I’m very anal about this for my Blu-rays), but it seems PS4 box art is a little all over the place in the UK. We can have a logo on the side (aka Ni No Kuni 2) or the block writing (aka God of War). I don’t mind one over the other but I do mind when they keep changing back and forth between the two. Looks a mess.