Why are games being shut down? GDPR

DARKB1KE

8 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

You will see a message "oh we don't have the funds to update this title any longer, thanks!" so I would treat it as permanent.

I suspect you're right, but at least on paper it's different from the other shutdowns we've seen recently, which is what I was getting at.

Any citation for this being the cause of the loadout shutdown?

32 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

Yeah, but they did say that wasn't the only reason. Still, it's a shame this may cause smaller online games to be shut down since they don't have the money the larger game companies have to comply.

Edited by ShadowStar83x

47 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

Loadout for PS4.

You will see a message "oh we don't have the funds to update this title any longer, thanks!" so I would treat it as permanent.

Thanks for the info!

And yeah, I agree - you should never rely on something like that. Personally, I just went and completed all contract trophies right away.

• Like 1

Honestly, any game that uses this as an excuse? I’d be very concerned about what they were doing with your data *before* these new rules were implemented because honestly the changes shouldn’t have had this great an effect. In my work literally all we had to do was a request for people to reconfirm their marketing preferences, that’s all. 

1 hour ago, turpinator1986 said:

Honestly, any game that uses this as an excuse? I’d be very concerned about what they were doing with your data *before* these new rules were implemented because honestly the changes shouldn’t have had this great an effect. In my work literally all we had to do was a request for people to reconfirm their marketing preferences, that’s all. 

Trophy police are on their way to arrest people playing hannah montanah and my name is mako.  They haz your data! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

It's just the PS3 is getting phased out. At this point, the PS3 is almost 12 years old, and new units haven't been made outside of Japan in over a year. 

They're still making units FOR Japan? Fuck me, I heard they've been pretty stubborn with it but Jesus Christ. 

11 hours ago, charlijaen said:

This used to be true in the first years 2006 - 2009 when developers used to opt in for the Xbox owned servers (funded with gold subscriptions) but after that, most publishers just used their own servers. 

For example, PES 6 & PES 2008 servers still work on X360 because they used MS servers, whereas from PES 2009 till 2017 the servers were shutdown by Konami.

It still is true. It's typically only MMO games, EA games, 2K games, and THQ games that are affected on xbox. I think the number of people who care about the PES games shutting could be counted on one hand. Most meaningful PS3 shutdowns are still up and running on XBOX. It's undeniable that XBOX is less affected in terms of meaningful unobtainables than Playstation. 

Microsoft also haven't shut any of their own games. Same can't be said for Sony. In fact, Sony are by far the biggest server closers on PSN now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turpinator1986 said:

I think it's pretty clear just telling people what you do with their data is absolutely not the only thing that's changing with GDPR. I recommend reading/browsing this (https://www.eugdpr.org), it has pretty good info and it's explained in fairly simple terms. In my job it was almost as simple as just letting other companies know what we were doing with their data because our infrastructure was pretty good already, in fact I still have a half day meeting coming up to go over GDPR (again). ('user' data basically also means 'company' data) 

And yes I did mention in one of my earlier posts that companies that have to shut down their games because of it, have most likely been doing shady shit with your data for years and don't want to pay for either innovating their infrastructure or the massive fine they could get. 

• Like 1