Rumor: Microsoft bringing back Start button in new version of Windows 8

Lady Lilith

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417855,00.asp

Microsoft is rumored to be building a new version of Windows 8 that will have an option to boot to the traditional Windows interface instead of the "Metro"-style Start Screen used in the current edition of the PC and tablet operating system.

The change, which users will have to switch on, is coming in Windows 8.1, also known as Windows Blue, according The Verge.

Blue is the follow-up to Windows 8, which was released last October, and will reportedly be released this year. Microsoft has publicly stated that it is tightening the release cycles for new versions of its flagship operating system and acknowledged in March that the company's employees are "working together on plans to advance our devices and services, a set of plans referred to internally as 'Blue.'"

However, the chances of the final product being called "Windows Blue" were "slim to none," Frank X. Shaw, Microsoft's corporate vice president of corporate communications, said at the time.

The Verge cited unnamed sources as saying Redmond was currently testing Windows Blue builds "that include an option to boot directly to the traditional desktop" with the "hot corner functionality, for access to the Charms and Start Screen [remaining] intact if the boot to desktop option is enabled."

As further evidence that Microsoft plans to revive its traditional Start Menu and Start button, The Verge pointed to "references to a 'CanSuppressStartScreen' option in early builds of the Windows 8.1 registry," as spotted on MyDigitalLife's forums.

The site's sources indicated that the current Windows 8 interface would remain the default one for an updated version of the OS, however, and that it's "highly unlikely" that Redmond would push out a traditional Windows look as anything but an extra option for users.

Microsoft's Metro-style interface built for Windows 8 has met with sharp criticism from some corners. The UI, optimized for PCs and mobile devices with touch screens, hasn't been well received by many Windows users who still depend on keyboard-and-mouse configurations.

Business and organizational Windows customers have been particular hostile to the UI change, perhaps Microsoft's most radical since introducing a graphical interface for the first time with 1985's release of the first Windows system shell on top of its MS-DOS operating system.

As to whether Microsoft is really planning to revive its traditional UI as an option for Windows 8 holdouts, there's some recent history that suggests the software giant is capable of backtracking at times to placate vocal Windows users. The Windows Aero visuals incorporated in 2007's Windows Vista release were derided by many Windows users as nothing but resource-hogging eye candy—and were subsequently downplayed in Windows 7, released in 2009.

I loved the start button and the UI on my old Windows XP (I actually had a working Windows XP computer right before I got a Windows 7 computer).  It's been too long since I've used Vista to remember it being "worse" than Windows 7, but I don't even like the UI in Windows 7...

Good, Windows 8 is easily the worst operating system I've ever used in terms of ease of use and the "Metro" style start screen is horrid on PC's. On a tablet or touchscreen device I can see it being semi-acceptable but on a desktop it is terrible. Knowing Microsoft, they'll charge for the update and force us to pay to have a start menu. If that happens, goodbye Microsoft and hello Apple... maybe.

Parker

Good, Windows 8 is easily the worst operating system I've ever used in terms of ease of use and the "Metro" style start screen is horrid on PC's. On a tablet or touchscreen device I can see it being semi-acceptable but on a desktop it is terrible. Knowing Microsoft, they'll charge for the update and force us to pay to have a start menu. If that happens, goodbye Microsoft and hello Apple... maybe.

Parker

I have rarely seen that kind of update being paid for ... and Apple is probably worse :)

Party - XP will not be supported soon ;)

Edited by leprodigalson

I`m using Windows 8 for a while now and its not as bad as it looks. I got used to it and now I love it, since it has much more stuff that I usually use, for example the task managers info is really really really best for me, showing everything about cpu/ram/hdd/internet usage of every running service. But there is many more thats good to have ^^

Meh - I saw Win 8 and made sure that I purchased a disk version of 7 before they were removed from sale :P

I have 2 Ultimate Edition laying around, so I am sure never to deal with Windows 8.

Windows 8SB (SB = Start Button) buy now for only $100 and no Windows 8 owners don't get a free update :P

It appears that Win8 is suffering from the "every other MS OS is shite" syndrome.

Since starting off the non DOS stuff in with Windows 97 then ever second one was shite

98 - quickly backed up with 98SE

ME - often called Mongrel Edition and short lived until the astonishing long lifed XP launched in 2001

Vista - unstable, resource hungry eyecandy did about 2 years until Win7

Win8 - oops

:o

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...