Trophy Cabinet: Display 100% games instead of only individual trophies, optional Grid view

It looks like everyone is happy with the new Trophy Cabinet feature that Sly implemented yesterday.

I have a few suggestions that I've both seen mentioned and I have talked about.

The first being able to

Display completed games instead of only individual trophies.

Why? Because of two reasons. Situations where you want to show off your 100% completed game...not just the Platinum trophy, but the entire 100% + DLC. And games that do not have a Platinum trophy (PSN 100% games), thus there is no way to show off your 100% in the Trophy Cabinet currently since there is no Platinum trophy in those lists.

How could this be displayed? Simply show the game banner image in the trophy case.

There are a lot of possibilies of how to this can look. Below are mockups showing different ways:

tc2cnsgb.png

tc3urs4u.png

tc4rhszg.png

tc58ls93.png

tc67nskw.png

tc8evseh.png

Secondly, Grid view.

Currently, the Trophy Cabinet is only able to be sorted by a "List" view.

Now, you could use a toggle option (button?) to toggle between "List" and "Grid" view for what you want viewers to see.

A user could set what viewers see by default, but perhaps even the viewer can have a "List" or "Grid" view toggle. This is similar to functionality in an OS like Windows, where a user can toggle between a Details (List) view or a Thumbnails (Grid) view.

Both show the same information, but in different ways.

Here is a mock-up of what the "grid view" could look like. I previously showed this "grid view" but with a few lines too long, making it look messy. I think that's what a lot of people didn't like about the design, not necessarily the grid view.

tc-gridmockup66ssj.png

Edited by HipHecooblik

Personally I don't care cause I try to 100% all my games and don't have that many games yet.

I can see how this concept may be appealng to people with large lists of games.

PS I don't prefer the grid view, I'd rather keep it less cluttered and able to see the names of the trophies, rarity etc.

Edited by lporiginalg

I don't like it honestly. Its great how it is.

I'm not saying "CHANGE IT TO THIS", I'm simply saying "make this an option in ADDITION to what is already there".

Nothing is being removed or replaced with this suggestion.

It's all about customization and making everyone satisfied.

I like the added feature, it would be a nice touch to show off completed series. I know Eburk was talking about his UC3 100%.

It needs more cleaning though. That looks like crap, but the idea is good.

Yes, interesting things like showing off completed franchises is an idea of how this would shine, too. It's all about customization and I feel not everyone only wants to show off individual trophies, but the bigger picture (the entire list complete).

Uncharted 3 is a GREAT example. With the current system, how does one show off that they are proud of getting the entire 100%, all 105 trophies? They can't, since they can only select individual trophies.

And yes, my designs are only a mockup to give an idea. I could have spent more time on them, but not if they're just for quick reference like here.

Edited by HipHecooblik

I know that, you made it pretty clear. You posted this and requested opinions. I don't like the idea, honestly. I think it looks awkward and doesn't fit properly with the rest of the formatting. I like my PSN 100%s probably more than the next person, but simply putting the rarest one in the trophy cabinet is good enough for my needs.

• Like 2

I know that, you made it pretty clear. You posted this and requested opinions. I don't like the idea, honestly. I think it looks awkward and doesn't fit properly with the rest of the formatting. I like my PSN 100%s probably more than the next person, but simply putting the rarest one in the trophy cabinet is good enough for my needs.

But there are many times where the rarest trophy in a game list doesn't necessarily mean it was the hardest. Nor is it the one you're most proud of. And the one you're most proud of may not even be the rarest.

There are also many times where the entire 100%, many trophies in the list, were tough for you. Not just one or even two.

In these times, putting the entire 100% there is more suitable. In that situation (and for many, all situations), the 100% as a whole is the proud accomplishment, not individual trophies. We have a list view currently that makes any unaligned things in a grid view like TrueAchievements have not an issue.

And the formatting is only a mockup. I'm sure things could be aligned or resized to make it more uniform, if this isn't good enough.

-------

I go back to the point of referencing to Xbox stat site TrueAchievements.com.

Like I've said before, they already have a trophy case. In that case, they can do the thing I am suggesting here: putting the game icon there (signifying a completed game) AND individual achievements.

Sure, they are all square sized images whereas PSN has rectangles for game icons and squares for triangles, but with the current "list view" especially there's ample space to have them lined up and neat.

And I continually reference that Xbox site, because the Xbox achievement community has matured to a point of uniform understanding and ways of doing things over the years. Sure achievements have been around since 2005 and trophies only 2008, but TrueAchievements has only been around since 2009 I think. And look at the features and standards. The professionalism and features are evident and I think the "work has already been done for us", instead of us figuring things out on our own that will take more years.

There are a few things I really hate about some of their features so I'm not saying copy it word for word.

But the PSN trophy community really needs to step up in seriousness.

It's time the PSN trophy community measures itself in seriousness to the Xbox achievement community and steps up.

I'm trying to help you guys do that step-by-step and really have an end-all, be-all trophy stat site. But if nobody wants to improve, then perhaps the community was fated to think this way, fated perhaps due to the late arrival of trophies compared to an already-established and standardized platform, where trophies then had their fated, permanent place in seriousness...because nobody in the scene ever stepped up in seriousness...nor did Sony, with trophies being an afterthought with their apathy on many things including the exploitation of the PS3 trophies.

No, it's not fine how it currently is - sure it works and is essentially "ok", but when you've seen what the Xbox community has done over the years, this is nothing. This is still a seed. The flower has not blossomed yet.

It goes beyond visual features. There needs to be more customization and life and feeling. Friend Feeds (but NOT on the top like on TA), Bios, a true rarity value system, extending on the percentage system to name a few. Not necessarily a copy of "TA value", but percentages extended to other places, so if a little off-the-wall PSN game is 11/10 difficulty, more people know that instead of just people who clicked the page and looked at the stats. Misleading "Average percent" on the game browsing lists is not enough. Cataloging of game names in a library growing by-the-day...is a complete mess on all sites besides maybe PS3Trophies.org - I suggested the fixes to the naming issues (region stackable identifiers, translations, etc) and there was no real response. We all need to improve. I hope I inspire even one.

I'm not saying the Xbox community and TrueAchievements are the echelon of seriousness and maturity, with what their profiles decorated with Xbox "avatar" characters looking like fucking arrogant jerks standing leaning on their hip with little smirks on their cartoony faces, saying to you "I'm a douchebag", reminding you of their casual dumbfuckery birthed by the mix of Microsoft's casual-friendliness (to attempt to replicate Wii monetary success) and shooter-based culture it sprouted. In this way, PSN's potential is much higher, as the general feeling of things even down to the UI of the platforms are much more serious. Now let's meet that potential.

Nobody was especting this "essay" here, did they? Yet, I will know the true answers of the seriousness of the community based on the reply or lack thereof to even this post - though to be fair I'm not targetting a wide range of the PSN trophy community, at least some with a head on their shoulders will pass through here. That is not to say seriousness can't be created. Everything I say is based on years of participating and speculating both the PSN and XBL communities. I've seen both be born and grow to the point they are. And the differences in the standardizations of both scenes is astronomical. It's time to aim higher.

And we don't have to take years. Yet we don't have to do it overnight, either. The work is spelled out for us by Xbox community's years of figuring a standard out. It's time for PSN trophies to have a serious backbone and sites like this are the only hope to evolve out of the still-infancy attitude everyone has on trophies. Maybe I'm just too smart for the place it currently is in. Maybe I need to take this into my own hands. If the standards of the PSN trophy communiy are not raised, if the seriousness is not raised...then I can at least say, "I tried".

Edited by HipHecooblik

You are speaking as if deciding to not side with your opinions is childish and wrong. Whereas, thinking that your way is the only way is the naive way of approaching things. Doesn't matter how much you attempt to bash the community in your novel-length posts, I personally feel that adding completed games to a trophy cabinet would look tacky, lop-sided, and out of place. I absolutely LOVE the trophy cabinet how it is, and I feel that this extra addition would be detracting from its quality.

• Like 2

I agree with BeautifulTorment. This really just doesn't belong. 

Just let it go, not everything you want to be added to the site HAS TO BE be added to the site. There are many things I wish were changed, and they don't happen since others don't think it's a good idea, and I don't write books about why that idea needs to be forced upon the site. 

You are speaking as if deciding to not side with your opinions is childish and wrong. Whereas, thinking that your way is the only way is the naive way of approaching things. Doesn't matter how much you attempt to bash the community in your novel-length posts, I personally feel that adding completed games to a trophy cabinet would look tacky, lop-sided, and out of place. I absolutely LOVE the trophy cabinet how it is, and I feel that this extra addition would be detracting from its quality.

I try not to sound in a way of saying, "do this or else". While I suggest that these options of customizations are probably necessary in ensuring satisfaction of the most serious users to the most casual users, I don't force the staff to do anything.  I already accept that they won't. I post to keep everyone on their toes, to at least try to improve. But these things I suggest are step-by-step, little-by-little things that I think will increase the seriousness in time.

I'm not "bashing the community" either. I'm stating the obvious of what I observe. From the standpoint of most who spectate, only the vocal majority is being seen as the voice of the trophy community. Only marketed games get attention, and subsets of trophy community, for example ones who go after little-known games, are made not to exist. With sites like this, all subsets of the community can exist.

So then, for the adding of 100% games making things look obtuse as you say...perhaps you say it would in grid view? Perhaps even in list view? Well, what you visualize and/or what you see in my mockups are not necessarily anything to what could be true. There are a ton of ways to get this information displayed in the Trophy Cabinet without making it "lopsided" as you say. Overall the point is that, in examples such as Uncharted 3 100% or Platinum-less PSN 100%s as examples, only showing individual trophies is flawed.

And a toggle-able grid/list view? I don't see the harm, if implemented neatly. I myself probably like the List view better for more information (the fault of TrueAchievements is that it's all non-descript tiny square icons that you have to hover over to see what they even are), but I can see the a point in grid view as a nice toggle-able option to switch between.

I agree with BeautifulTorment. This really just doesn't belong. 

Just let it go, not everything you want to be added to the site HAS TO BE be added to the site. There are many things I wish were changed, and they don't happen since others don't think it's a good idea, and I don't write books about why that idea needs to be forced upon the site. 

I and others would probably appreciate to hear some detailed and well-written suggestions. I'd like to hear it. So far, I don't see that much. I've seen the "trophy cabinet" suggested a handful of times in the past, but it was suggested in a poorly written and short way, and thus nothing happened. But put a little effort in, and things may happen. Because we're all human, and sometimes things you visualize can't be visualized by other people without a detailed explanation and perhaps even visual example.

I don't want to sound all-important, but I sat and I sat. Months pass, and I said to myself, "why is this still like this?" "Why is reporting of cheaters still not back, and nobody is saying anything?" "Why are multiple region stack games not identified in any way?" "Why are there tons of game entries in Japanese text-only?" "Why does this popular game, Journey, have incorrect info for months and nobody said anything?" "Why do certain games not have the number at the end?" "Why is there no trophy case?"

So I step in and try to advise what I think needs to be addressed.

Again, I am not trying to force anything. Just advise. The community (NOT just PSNProfiles community but the entire trophy community---do you see anyone else attempting to innovate?) won't evolve by being happy-go-lucky suck-ups who think nothing can be improved. Refer to my post above comparing the PSN trophy communiy to the advancements of the XBL achievement community, for instance. There is much to be improved and I really am so excited to see things implemented. Again, if nothing changes, I can at least say, "I tried".

Edited by HipHecooblik

I like the current cabinet, I agree the "new" one looks a bit goofy, and the grid idea would bother me with the conflicting colors.

On the other hand, I like how the PSN trophy hunting community takes it kind of lax'd. No one is uptight, and it means we are more inviting as a whole. I've never disregarded someones opinions because their trophy count is lower than mine, or looked up to someone because theirs is higher. This, unfortunately, is something a lot of my achievement hunting friends have mentioned about their forums. 

I like the current cabinet, I agree the "new" one looks a bit goofy, and the grid idea would bother me with the conflicting colors.

On the other hand, I like how the PSN trophy hunting community takes it kind of lax'd. No one is uptight, and it means we are more inviting as a whole. I've never disregarded someones opinions because their trophy count is lower than mine, or looked up to someone because theirs is higher. This, unfortunately, is something a lot of my achievement hunting friends have mentioned about their forums. 

Okay, but that's just the MOCKUPS that don't look ideal to you. You're saying the idea to show 100%s instead of just random trophies is wrong? Refer to the many explanations above (and by a few in the feature announcement thread) as to why showing 100%s AND trophies is a great idea.

Like I said, don't let it just be me to suggest things. Let's get everyone on this. I want to hear all your suggestions of how you would implement the feature if you had to. How would you implement it visually, for one. Do a mockup. Explain. Anything. I don't want to be the only one attempting to get critical about things. But it seems so, besides others saying "no".

And I see what you mean about "gamerscore hungry" gamers on Xbox who only regard the number. But honestly, I think that's an old mentality, and if it still exists there it only exists in the more, ahem, dumb percentile who only play mainstream games. Let them think what they think.

But I think even the trophy communiy has evolved beyond "trophy level hungry" mentality. It was cool the first few years, but now we all know what it looks like. We know what Level 15 looks like, we know what Level 20 looks like and so on. I think for many it's about just the games people like the play and the quality of games on the list, to personal satisfaction of course. So I wouldn't say either is "uptight". Just the Xbox community, in my explanation, has more serious standards for a lot of things, especially statisic-wise. But visual features are also very important.

Okay, but that's just the MOCKUPS that don't look ideal to you. You're saying the idea to show 100%s instead of just random trophies is wrong? Refer to the many explanations above (and by a few in the feature announcement thread) as to why showing 100%s AND trophies is a great idea.

Like I said, don't let it just be me to suggest things. Let's get everyone on this. I want to hear all your suggestions of how you would implement the feature if you had to. How would you implement it visually, for one. Do a mockup. Explain. Anything. I don't want to be the only one attempting to get critical about things. But it seems so, besides others saying "no".

And I see what you mean about "gamerscore hungry" gamers on Xbox who only regard the number. But honestly, I think that's an old mentality, and if it still exists there it only exists in the more, ahem, dumb percentile who only play mainstream games. Let them think what they think.

But I think even the trophy communiy has evolved beyond "trophy level hungry" mentality. It was cool the first few years, but now we all know what it looks like. We know what Level 15 looks like, we know what Level 20 looks like and so on. I think for many it's about just the games people like the play and the quality of games on the list, to personal satisfaction of course. So I wouldn't say either is "uptight". Just the Xbox community, in my explanation, has more serious standards for a lot of things, especially statisic-wise. But visual features are also very important.

I never said it was wrong, I said it looked goofy. 

By this, I mean it doesn't fit in with the feature as it is presented right now. having a mix and match attitude will make it look like the wallpaper at my grandmothers house. Tacky. Perhaps a separate section for 100%'s, but then we would be getting redundant and cluttery. 

I feel no need to make suggestions on the implementation of a feature I don't support full heartedly. I've made many suggestions before for other improvements to the site, and the site definitely has a lot of room for improvement in more important aspects. Personally, I'd love to see some more updates in the forums, as opposed to just the trophy pages, but I know the forums get less usage, so it is finding a balance between the needs and wants, but that's another topic

As to PSN Trophy Hunting communities, we'll evolve over time, just like the Xbox community did. There isn't as much demand in our community now as I imagine there was for achievement hunters when those features began as a mainstream and expected thing. The site will grow at the right pace, and features will come when the demand is high, not just loud.

I think this is a pretty cool idea.  I also appreciate your thought out creativity and "novel-type" posts.  I'm just a person who loves "options" and the more the merrier. The lack of options in any type of situation sucks, while having plenty is always a bonus whether a person chooses to use them or not.  So, if this idea has sparked any kind of creative imagination for Sly to keep evolving his website then i'm all for it!  I'm sure as always Sly will have his own "style" and make it way more uniform though to the site's liking. 

• Like 2

Honestly I don't really like it.

With the different sizes of the images for games or trophies to have them both together looks messy, I know the size could be changed but that would look any better to me, for it to work I believe it would have be be one or the other, not a mixture. I think the Grid view is also ugly.

Sorry I understand the effort you're putting in and some of your ideas have been great, I just don't like this one.

Edited by Simpo

It just makes sense to me to be able to put full games in your trophy case, so it would certainly be a nice addition.  While some games have that one really hard or rare trophy, a lot of games don't necessarily have that one trophy that stands out, it's how much effort and dedication it takes to get every trophy in the game that stands out and should be highlighted.  Star Ocean Last Hope would be a good example of this.  Getting the battle trophies is a feat for sure, but a lot of the other trophies (getting all items, etc) take an extreme amount of effort as well, and one trophy wouldn't show that.

I have to say, a thread about a trophy case addition seems like a silly place for an essay about the PS3 community stepping up their game.  While I would certainly argue that TA is more "hardcore" than PSNP, I'm not sure I'd push for this site to be like TA.  That's a discussion for a different thread though, I suppose.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of putting 100% along with trophies in the trophy cabinet, but maybe if there is a separate cabinet it might look nice , example: assuming someone is a premium member and has 10 lots in the trophy cabinet and choose  to put 7 platinuns and 3 100%, the 7 plats shows in one case and the 3 100%in another.

And grid view I believe dosen´t match with the site, and I personaly think it is awful.
  • Like 1

I probably shouldn't post while I'm in a sleep deprived state, but oh well...

Anyhow, the idea is interesting. For something like that to be implemented though I can only see one option, so that the profile page won't turn into a cluster fuck. Which would be to replace the individual trophy cabinet with a cabinet for completed games. Having both in the same cabinet in a mix and match fashion would look odd, and having separate cabinets for each would just clutter the page.

In all honesty, I don't think it is a necessary feature. At least for the likes of me, who almost never buy dlc, which nowadays more and more games end up having, and are therefore a necessity in order to reach 100% in a game (I don't buy it because the content usually is rubbish, in terms of value for money. As well as being nothing more than milking a product dry, great idea of marketing though I must admit, but I digress,,,). Nor would those, who don't pay the completion % too much attention.

I can see how a feature like that might be interesting for some though.

https://psnprofiles.com/jamm6512&completion=completed&order=played&pf=all#content

100% cabinet, right there. Just a lil FYI, well I was wrong and it appears that all plats are on this list, luckily I only have 2 games not at 100% though. Anyways, why are you so demanding of these features when you can't even utilize them? You have no psn profile linked to the site currently, so it seems unless you decided to take it off for some reason?

Yes I know I'm not helpful or giving good advice and/or giving any ideas for the site but most of the ideas sly utilizes I would never have thought of myself, so it's always a pleasant surprise when something new like this cabinet shows up almost out of the blue (in my case). Then again I don't ask for things and then tell sly its wrong unless its a legitimate bug opposed to something like this. I expect some form of quoting an bad mouthing to occur, so please enlighten my stupid mind which cannot fathom such power and thoughts yours maybe able to spawn. Have a nice day and enjoy coming up with another few hundred threads about things like how us dumb folk are not "mature" enough to realize your true potential. Forgive me for not being part of the Xbox Cheevos crowds you have been able to grace your presence with.

Edited by Jamm
  • Like 3

I support your idea and don't see why everyone is taking it as such a big deal. I do think this idea should of been kept simple and to the point. I really don't think comparing this to other sites will pull people in though, as I'm sure psnprofiles wants to stay unique. On the other hand, this really isn't something that would change the site as a whole in my opinion. Adding games to the trophy case would be preferable to me. I'd rather have the option to show completed games that I take pride in because I've put so much of my time and effort in the game as a whole.

Edited by BeautyBlade
  • Like 1