SkyMason

Was a little disappointed in this game...(Spoilers)

23 posts in this topic

I was actually pretty disappointed with this game - and yeah I know I'm in the minority with that!

- The balance is awful tbh - the counter move can be spammed with absolutely no penalty, and the dodge move isn't that much better. Most bosses are susceptible to it, and it trivializes a lot of the game. Hard mode is just absolute BS - you will get oneshot over and over, and the enemies are not any harder to fight, just way more spongey.

- This is not a great looking game, it looks like it was built for PS3.

- Without giving away any spoilers, the backtracking in this game is tedious, and despite this having an open world, the game is actually pretty small. You will fight some bosses over and over.

There is a lot of padding in this game -

Spoiler

9S' playthrough adds so little to the story, they should have just made it a separate scenario at the start. His section is most definitely the worst part of the game - that hacking minigame got so damn repetitive.

A2's section felt kind of rushed as well - other than an optional text section, there really wasn't much time given to flesh out her personality.

2B getting killed off - I was just kind of numb. sure I guess it was sad, but for some reason it didn't really do much for me, especially since you are given a straight replacement moments later. 9S' reaction to all of that was a bit too "anime" for me, felt a bit clichéd.

Everyone says the story is the strong part, but I never really got on board with that either. The repetition killed so much of the pacing for me, some bits went on for way too long, while in the last bit of the game it never really slows down to let the player take in the big picture.

 

I'd be talking out of my ass if I said this was a bad game, but it's most definitely got a lot of flaws which killed a lot of my fun with it.

 

Anyone else feel the same? Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong (which I'm sure if anyone replies they surely will!).

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you. 

Nothing special about this game, it just overrated and I know someone will come and disagree with all their might lol 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you weren't playing on the right difficulty for your style then. 

You went easy mode then went completely opposite to hard, nothing inbetween? 


Some comments I agreed with:

Quote

That's the brilliance of NieR Automata: it is a critique of humanity and gaming as a whole. You could argue that on a mechanical and technical level it plays out like any other game of that type. It's combat is cool but not like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta leveled, its quests are boring and feel arbitrary, its visuals arent that good, the world design and the backtracking can be seen as lazy and weak, the voicework is fine but not academy award winning material and the camera shifts to different genres could be seen as lacking focus or not sticking to one idea and doing it well. When looked at from a more....artistic and thematic perspective though and it honestly is one of the best out there for it. The combat might be fine and good, BUT the main theme of killing makes it act as a catalyst for how it backlashes at times back at the player for being so monstrous. Yoko Taro has stated in interviews that he finds players taking pleasure in online competitive games disgust and scare the shit out of him and he often sees that violence be rewarded rather than punished. So he makes the robots have human like traits (or try to simulate them) to make it more clear later on what you could be actually doing.

The quests mechanically might feel boring, but the mini stories to them all feel not just individually different but also are cohesive in some way to the main plot of the game. Some are straight foreshadowing, some are the "oh shit what have I DONE" moments, some play to the theme of the game's world. The visuals arent good some could say, but I would say why is Shadow of The Colossus and Okami for having great visuals to their games despite not being graphic powerhouses? Because they fit to the artistic theme of the game. Since NieR Automata is a game about philosophy, existentialism, meaninglessness, cyclical nature of life and death, I WOULD expect the game to look drab, dreary, boring and underwhelming, because THAT is what the theme calls for. The voicework does its job because even the characters are not the most important thing in the game. Fans of Yoko Taro's work tend to see him not care who lives or dies in them (like George R. Martin of sorts) because they are only a small part to the greater plot or narrative. Much like Dark Souls or the Souls series as a whole you are a speck in the huge desert sands of the world; you're not the center of the world and wasnt made for your convenience.

The tasks are simple in quests because why WOULD THEY NOT BE? A powerful side quest like Amnesia boils down to a little bit of running around and that's it, yet the reveal hits you so hard that it makes the reward taking feel dark and cold (at least to me). You feel connected to the world and become just as part of it. Shadow of The Colossus, Bloodborne, and many other games have simple quests too and can be acclaimed for it, so why can't Nier? This is not to say that there isn't flaws or issues though, but to maintain consistency in writing and themes is surprisingly strong in this throughout. Even the DLC extends this and still finds ways to mess with you on what you thought would be there for you to play. I havent even touched on the music or story though, which I would argue is the best this year and arguably of all time. The music does have a strong arm of making the player feel a certain emotion when they play, but they also made EVERY place you go ALWAYS have good music playing. Even Emil's shop music (as 'terrible' as it sounds) the joy and brilliance is that something of that goofiness is intentionally bad that it comes off as good or at least memorable. The music projects a sense of disconnect between the world's reveal to its epicness because it wants you to think about what that world might have been like when it still had humans in it. Maybe not and you can just listen to a great soundtrack that doesnt need to be thought that way at all.

The story itself is great because it ties EVERYTHING together that directly speaks to the player and nature of games as a whole. The first ending is the typical "that was a pretty cool" happy ending that EVERY GAME does now to make the player feel accomplished. Then the second playthrough happens and now we repeat it all through a different perspective with new quests and backstories to things we have seen before but now have an understanding that might make us more sympathetic to them. We understand that our actions have consequences and just because we kill something didnt mean it was strictly a rabid beast of a machine like YoRHa claims all machines are. The ending just comes more ambiguously this time, making us still happy maybe but with a sort of bittersweet tone to it. Then the third playthrough comes in and topples the previous in a very straightforward and blunt way that makes us rethink the game as a whole. The two endings both are hopeless and tragic despite the possible hope it gives because the build up towards it is just so depressing and horrible to see transpire. Then the final ending happens and something happens that can only be described as magnificent; YOU choose to salvage the mistakes made. YOU choose to make a sacrifice in a effort to have some hope of a happy end (because Yoko doesnt like happy endings). YOU make a stand that goes against the dogma of games as a whole and break the barrier of interactions. In the end, your loss and sacrifice is seen as a possible flicker of hope that maybe we are not so bad as humans and that maybe things can change for the better and avoid a possible grim fate.

The best part of it all though? It doesnt mean anything. The game's ultimate theme is meaninglessness and it doesnt mean a dam thing what you do in any part of the game since it will eventually end with the same outcome. On a mechanical level, that is atrocious for players to endure and can be banal for the entire game as a concept outside of being just a fun little robot game. On a thematic level though, it plays perfectly into the juxtaposition of our immersion in the world and the inevitable "it wont really change anything in the end" and such a contrast makes us want to stick to the world more because it comes off so blunt about it. The philosophy the game gives is like a mockery, not a really deep idea because meaninglessness has no real depth or complexity, it is as simple and shallow as Yoko sees us as a species and as such he intentionally made the names of the characters in the game that way to just mock that mentality. He challenges the very idea of games not just as entertainment but also art, and he makes sure that as a consequence for that we must accept the eccentric nature he gives it to us. Maybe all the things we see in the game has a reason or place to live, maybe it doesn't, who cares? Yoko made 2B the way she was to give to the fans a sexy robot maid girl that practically EVERY GAME, ANIME and MANGA has done for countless years, yet carry a stoic character that holds alot of emotional issues inside over so many years. 9S is just a young man who everyone seems to not be huge on and is shut down as a result. A2 doesnt even have a backstory or major character arc. Does that matter at all? Should it?

This is something that I feel people misunderstand on why some like me claim this game to be a masterpiece, because by analyzing it you can see it is meant to be contradiction and waste of time, but a waste of time that YOU THE PLAYER fell for entirely. You went to the very end of the game, expecting an epic finale and boss, only to find that doesnt even happen. You expect the quests you do to be boring and uneventful tasks, yet those you help have their own goals and have a wide range of reactions that hits all emotions well and doesnt care when it doesnt. The DLC IS A TROLL PIECE, a addition meant to poke more at the players who dare to find the 'deep' meanings and connections and by making frustrating and odd decisions does it reflect the expectations we set for ourselves for games as a whole. This game isn't "intelligent", it isnt "deep" and it isnt a masterpiece, yet it fully shows this once you go through its entirety and realize why it IS masterpiece; by not being one. It acts as its own deal without having to project itself on a high pedestal. It mocks and toys with itself, the players and the medium because it IS A VIDEO GAME and only in a video game can you find anything like this. You dont need to be a intelligent person to understand this either; you could easily write it off as a another game and you would be more or less no different than me calling it a masterpiece, because the perspectives towards that theme of meaninglessness is intentional and doesnt ask anything more.

NieR Automata is one of the greatest games of all time for me because it gives an experience that transcends the scope of games and into the realm of what humans can think of anything. Death, purpose, 2B's ass, depression, happiness, the means of being human, etc, it mashes those different things together to make a chimera that is universal for anyone to play and enjoy. The sum of its parts are small but the overall result goes above and beyond. There is no certain way to play, only the main theme will ALWAYS loom over you and its up to us players, us human beings to do what we want and make sure what we do has something worth doing. In the future, this game will be remembered more by many for this, or maybe it wont at all and fade into nothingness and it was all a bunch of nonsense. It is up to us, the players, to say what we think it will be in the future.


 

 

Edited by DARKB1KE
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, SkyMason said:

I was actually pretty disappointed with this game - and yeah I know I'm in the minority with that!

- The balance is awful tbh - the counter move can be spammed with absolutely no penalty, and the dodge move isn't that much better. Most bosses are susceptible to it, and it trivializes a lot of the game. Hard mode is just absolute BS - you will get oneshot over and over, and the enemies are not any harder to fight, just way more spongey.

- This is not a great looking game, it looks like it was built for PS3.

- Without giving away any spoilers, the backtracking in this game is tedious, and despite this having an open world, the game is actually pretty small. You will fight some bosses over and over.

There is a lot of padding in this game -

  Reveal hidden contents

9S' playthrough adds so little to the story, they should have just made it a separate scenario at the start. His section is most definitely the worst part of the game - that hacking minigame got so damn repetitive.

A2's section felt kind of rushed as well - other than an optional text section, there really wasn't much time given to flesh out her personality.

2B getting killed off - I was just kind of numb. sure I guess it was sad, but for some reason it didn't really do much for me, especially since you are given a straight replacement moments later. 9S' reaction to all of that was a bit too "anime" for me, felt a bit clichéd.

Everyone says the story is the strong part, but I never really got on board with that either. The repetition killed so much of the pacing for me, some bits went on for way too long, while in the last bit of the game it never really slows down to let the player take in the big picture.

 

I'd be talking out of my ass if I said this was a bad game, but it's most definitely got a lot of flaws which killed a lot of my fun with it.

 

Anyone else feel the same? Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong (which I'm sure if anyone replies they surely will!).

 

I don’t actually think you’re in a minority in thinking the actual minute-to-minute play of Nier is pretty weak - I liked the game, but the worst part about it is the part where you play it!

 

The strength is the story and the thematic language, but, as you said, you played it once it already had the reputation- I think a lot of what was most appealing was the way the heavier stuff slowly snuck up on you - if you knew the reputation ahead of time then a lot of the impact would be lost.

 

i still think the game deserves a lot of credit for it’s story, but I can see being a bit let down, given the almost evangelical praise heaped on it by those who played it early and experienced the twists blind.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear I only see these kinds of complaints on this forum, where these extremely small scale complaints, for some reason, entirely dictate whether you like it or not. I completely 110% disagree, I think this game is phenomenal, as does just about everyone who has ever played it, and it has one of gaming's best stories in ages. This is why I implore everyone to play games on their own regard and not succumb to hype culture, because practically every post made about this game where they complain that is either overrated or disappointing went into it with the utmost highest expectations, or simply played it because they heard a lot about it, despite it not being a game for them. 

 

- If you're playing on easy mode where, the game tells you before hand that it practically plays itself, and then you play hard and feel the difficulty increase significantly, and you call it unbalanced? What? I mean, by that logic, you should very well just play on normal. Maybe I'm just good at video games or something, but hard mode was trivial for me and the only legitimate challenge is very hard.

 

- The game is beautiful, I can assure you. I've played it dozens of times on both PS4 and PC, and I'll admit that the PS4 version is lack luster in comparison, but it looks absolutely fabulous on everything else. And besides, I don't think it looks bad at all, it's probably just the colour pallet that makes it seem more "ugly" than it really it, in my opinion.

 

- This game was created for an intriguing and immersive story through and through, not for trophy hunters, so "backtracking" will naturally piss people off. Not saying that you're only in it for trophies, but I am 99% sure that most people who play this game and complain about it on here only do because they care about how quickly and efficiently they're earning trophies over how much they're getting sucked in by the wonderful characters, soundtrack, writing, and environments. And I can totally understand some of your complaints about how each character's arcs played out, but I personally adored the entire game's story the whole time because the game did such a fantastic job at making these characters feel more than simply intentional stock characters in a world much bigger than the surface.

 

In my opinion, this game is extremely damn close to perfect, and the "flaws" most people talk about are more like personal preferences.

 

6 hours ago, sona_11 said:

I agree with you. 

Nothing special about this game, it just overrated and I know someone will come and disagree with all their might lol 

 

Especially this right here. There is quite literally PLENTY special about this game, and it is far from overrated. Nier went from a underselling Japanese niche game to one of the best selling single player RPG's in forever, the fact that it won several huge awards for the stellar soundtrack, and you're saying there's nothing special about it? Lmao, like I get it's your opinion and you're absolutely entitled to it, but at least try and think about things objectively.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ManaFear said:

I swear I only see these kinds of complaints on this forum, where these extremely small scale complaints, for some reason, entirely dictate whether you like it or not. I completely 110% disagree, I think this game is phenomenal, as does just about everyone who has ever played it, and it has one of gaming's best stories in ages. This is why I implore everyone to play games on their own regard and not succumb to hype culture, because practically every post made about this game where they complain that is either overrated or disappointing went into it with the utmost highest expectations, or simply played it because they heard a lot about it, despite it not being a game for them. 

 

- If you're playing on easy mode where, the game tells you before hand that it practically plays itself, and then you play hard and feel the difficulty increase significantly, and you call it unbalanced? What? I mean, by that logic, you should very well just play on normal. Maybe I'm just good at video games or something, but hard mode was trivial for me and the only legitimate challenge is very hard.

 

- The game is beautiful, I can assure you. I've played it dozens of times on both PS4 and PC, and I'll admit that the PS4 version is lack luster in comparison, but it looks absolutely fabulous on everything else. And besides, I don't think it looks bad at all, it's probably just the colour pallet that makes it seem more "ugly" than it really it, in my opinion.

 

- This game was created for an intriguing and immersive story through and through, not for trophy hunters, so "backtracking" will naturally piss people off. Not saying that you're only in it for trophies, but I am 99% sure that most people who play this game and complain about it on here only do because they care about how quickly and efficiently they're earning trophies over how much they're getting sucked in by the wonderful characters, soundtrack, writing, and environments. And I can totally understand some of your complaints about how each character's arcs played out, but I personally adored the entire game's story the whole time because the game did such a fantastic job at making these characters feel more than simply intentional stock characters in a world much bigger than the surface.

 

In my opinion, this game is extremely damn close to perfect, and the "flaws" most people talk about are more like personal preferences.

 

Hey - someone who really liked Nier here btw, before you assume I’m just here to troll or something - I thought the story was phenomenally well put together and executed - but I have a question:

 

If Nier: Automata had a really dull, uninteresting story, but everything else was the same, do you think you would be posting on forums saying that it is ‘beautiful’ and ‘extremely damn close to perfect, except for the story’?

 

I’m not asking to be contrarian - but I do feel like the story is the best part of the game, and kind of felt that it was so good, that it elevated, in a lot of gamers minds, other aspects which were pretty mediocre.

 

I thought the visuals were very rote and the enviroments flat and uninteresting - the lower budget of the title really showed a lot in these areas - as well as in the constant ‘invisible walls’ boxing you into small areas. The ‘sexy-maid’ costume was a bit much, (and I know for a fact it put off more than a few female gamers from even trying the game out) and the combat, while servicable, was not on the level of other platinum games like Bayonetta.

 

Don’t get me wrong, the story was easily enough to propel me along, and I regularly and heartily reccomend the game to others based on it (as well as the brilliant soundtrack), but I don’t do so by saying it was great in all aspects - that would be setting people up to be disappointed in my eyes.

I tell them to play it in spite of those things, push past the duller stuff, because the story is so rewarding.

 

I love Nier, but I think that the praise has bled over from the areas where it is well deserved, into areas where it isn’t.

That has directly resulted in the let-down feeling of many newer players - which is a damn shame, because the story alone should be more than enough to insist people give it a go!

 

Nier: Automata doesn’t need extra praise added on wantonly - it already has one of the best stories of this generation of games.

It doesn’t need to have anything more - story is what it does best, and it does it brilliantly.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DARKB1KE said:

Sounds like you weren't playing on the right difficulty for your style then. 

You went easy mode then went completely opposite to hard, nothing inbetween?

 

I played the game on Normal mode. I was saying a lot of the challenge is nullified by the counter ability (where you move your directional pad towards the enemies attack), as you can just keep mashing it and countering over and over without penalty. And when you can handle the hacking minigame - that nullifies a lot of the challenge too, it is too easy to kill endgame enemies with that as well. I don't think the game had good balance in general.

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don’t actually think you’re in a minority in thinking the actual minute-to-minute play of Nier is pretty weak - I liked the game, but the worst part about it is the part where you play it!

 

The strength is the story and the thematic language, but, as you said, you played it once it already had the reputation- I think a lot of what was most appealing was the way the heavier stuff slowly snuck up on you - if you knew the reputation ahead of time then a lot of the impact would be lost.

 

i still think the game deserves a lot of credit for it’s story, but I can see being a bit let down, given the almost evangelical praise heaped on it by those who played it early and experienced the twists blind.

I knew nothing about the game other than the fact people enjoyed the story/gameplay a lot. Got a lot of recommendations to play it from my friends. I went in blind more or less, so I don't think that's the issue at all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManaFear said:

I swear I only see these kinds of complaints on this forum, where these extremely small scale complaints, for some reason, entirely dictate whether you like it or not. I completely 110% disagree, I think this game is phenomenal, as does just about everyone who has ever played it, and it has one of gaming's best stories in ages. This is why I implore everyone to play games on their own regard and not succumb to hype culture, because practically every post made about this game where they complain that is either overrated or disappointing went into it with the utmost highest expectations, or simply played it because they heard a lot about it, despite it not being a game for them. 

 

- If you're playing on easy mode where, the game tells you before hand that it practically plays itself, and then you play hard and feel the difficulty increase significantly, and you call it unbalanced? What? I mean, by that logic, you should very well just play on normal. Maybe I'm just good at video games or something, but hard mode was trivial for me and the only legitimate challenge is very hard.

 

- The game is beautiful, I can assure you. I've played it dozens of times on both PS4 and PC, and I'll admit that the PS4 version is lack luster in comparison, but it looks absolutely fabulous on everything else. And besides, I don't think it looks bad at all, it's probably just the colour pallet that makes it seem more "ugly" than it really it, in my opinion.

 

- This game was created for an intriguing and immersive story through and through, not for trophy hunters, so "backtracking" will naturally piss people off. Not saying that you're only in it for trophies, but I am 99% sure that most people who play this game and complain about it on here only do because they care about how quickly and efficiently they're earning trophies over how much they're getting sucked in by the wonderful characters, soundtrack, writing, and environments. And I can totally understand some of your complaints about how each character's arcs played out, but I personally adored the entire game's story the whole time because the game did such a fantastic job at making these characters feel more than simply intentional stock characters in a world much bigger than the surface.

 

In my opinion, this game is extremely damn close to perfect, and the "flaws" most people talk about are more like personal preferences.

 

 

Especially this right here. There is quite literally PLENTY special about this game, and it is far from overrated. Nier went from a underselling Japanese niche game to one of the best selling single player RPG's in forever, the fact that it won several huge awards for the stellar soundtrack, and you're saying there's nothing special about it? Lmao, like I get it's your opinion and you're absolutely entitled to it, but at least try and think about things objectively.

Woah! You're making a lot of assumptions on my part, and I think that's unfair. I've studied Philosophy at University level and I don't really think there's anything new thematically in Nier. The writer obviously knows about existentialism, identity, etc., but other than more or less repeating a lot of these themes in an interesting framework I don't really feel he had anything interesting to add to these ideas - it's one thing to use these ideas, but I would have find it more engaging if he applied these ideas and expanded on them. If you've ever come across "Existentialism & Humanism" a lot of these themes are repeated in a cursory way throughout the game. These are common themes in literature - self-actualization and achieving agency in absurd situations. This is novel stuff for a videogame - but it's more like abridged explanation in a story rather than really taking these ideas somewhere else. Maybe that's the point, I don't know. But it made the plot fall a little flat for me at the end. This game covers a lot of my interests, if anything it most definitely should be a game for me!

- I didn't play on easy mode! God damn it

- I'm not gonna change your mind on the graphics, but it's not something I'm alone in thinking, PC or PS4.

- Just because this is a trophy hunter's website doesn't mean I rushed through the game. I went at it in my own pace, took me about 50 hours and I finished most of the sidequests, read all of the extra stuff in the menus, etc. If you're making a general complaint about people who play games like this here, I dunno why you're pointing that at me specifically.

- The music is great yeah

- I'll say it again, there is a lot of backtracking, if you are doing the sidequests you are pointed to the abandoned factory about a dozen times throughout the game - oh my god did I get sick of that place! The world is very small, I can kinda forgive that because it's obvious this game was made on a budget, but the repetition in this game really got to me.

-  How you felt about the characters' personalities is your own preference, but you get no time at all to care about A2, 9S' personality takes a nosedive in the last third of the game, and I'm kind of 50/50 on 2B. She was either overly passionate or completely passive. There wasn't really a point in between, or a gradual change IMO, it was a little weird.

 

I think you are getting a little too defensive about what I said, I gave my reasons and I'm not complaining about my experience out of pettiness. I really think these things hold the game back.

I never said there isn't anything "special" about it, all I'm doing is sharing my experiences with it and seeing what people think.

 

BTW, what do you mean by think about it objectively? I'm not a robot (irony!) I can only share my experiences with it!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nier automata and disappointed are not allowed in the same sentence.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

Nier automata and disappointed are not allowed in the same sentence.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't talk about the story as I'm only on 9s route but being able to spam counter makes the game easy. If anything it's there for people who have auto chips on you aren't forced to use it at all. 

 

From the sounds of some of your replies it sounds like you found hard unfair as it requires actual knowledge of the game and attacks and rewards players who do with big cool combos which rip into guys. 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

BTW, what do you mean by think about it objectively? I'm not a robot (irony!) I can only share my experiences with it!

 

Lol 👏🏼 😂😂

 

Kudos - true that - that was funny 😁 

 

Hey man, we all got our opinions (already said mine above) but I don’t think the post you quoted meant the dictionary definition of “Think about it objectively.”

 

The dictionary definition would be someting like “devoid yourself of emotional bias.”

 

I think they were going more for the ‘internet forum’ definition of “Think about it objectively,” which would be something more like “Shut up about your stupid thoughts and have my opinion!”

 

😉

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

I didn't play on easy mode! God damn it

Basically, you played the game on a difficulty that was not suitable towards you most likely. You should of started with easy with mode because if you are getting one shot over and over you probably don't understand the mechanics well enough and a trip through easy mode would of allowed you to learn

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

Lol 1f44f-1f3fc.png1f602.png1f602.png

 

Kudos - true that - that was funny 1f601.png 

 

Hey man, we all got our opinions (already said mine above) but I don’t think the post you quoted meant the dictionary definition of “Think about it objectively.”

 

The dictionary definition would be someting like “devoid yourself of emotional bias.”

 

I think they were going more for the ‘internet forum’ definition of “Think about it objectively,” which would be something more like “Shut up about your stupid thoughts and have my opinion!”

 

1f609.png

That's a bit of an oversimplification of objectivity, I think what they meant was impartial tbh. But yeah just trying to be civil!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey if you dont like it that much, i get that.

I thought the game was really good with the gameplay and soundtrack but other then that was very meh.

If people cant accept that they shouldnt respond imo, i mean we are allowed to like what we want and what we dont want right?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SkyMason said:

That's a bit of an oversimplification of objectivity, I think what they meant was impartial tbh. But yeah just trying to be civil!

 

Ah, I’m only teesing - hell, we all push our opinions out there, that’s why we’re here - it’s all good natured (I hope!) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RunItsAShark said:

Basically, you played the game on a difficulty that was not suitable towards you most likely. You should of started with easy with mode because if you are getting one shot over and over you probably don't understand the mechanics well enough and a trip through easy mode would of allowed you to learn

You've misread my first post. My point was that hard mode is a bit OTT in terms of difficulty and normal mode lacks any challenge - I don't think there was a decent enough middle ground. After playing through the game on normal mode I'd probably have a bit less issues with hard mode, but the difference between the modes is night and day. Hard mode is a bit too much (at least on a first run), and Normal mode is just way too easy. The game in general is very exploitable with some of its combat mechanics, like the counter as I explained before.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SkyMason said:

You've misread my first post. My point was that hard mode is a bit OTT in terms of difficulty and normal mode lacks any challenge - I don't think there was a decent enough middle ground. After playing through the game on normal mode I'd probably have a bit less issues with hard mode, but the difference between the modes is night and day. Hard mode is a bit too much (at least on a first run), and Normal mode is just way too easy. The game in general is very exploitable with some of its combat mechanics, like the counter as I explained before.

I didn't misread your post, you complained about constantly getting one-shot. Had you better understood the games mechanics, this would not of happened. You have to prepared your equipment and skills properly for hard mode.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

Ah, I’m only teesing - hell, we all push our opinions out there, that’s why we’re here - it’s all good natured (I hope!) 

Oh 100%, I'm not looking to shit on anyone's opinions about the game, my friends absolutely love it, and I guess I can see why. But for me there was just too much jankiness to the experience I couldn't overlook, and the story never really worked out for me. 😅

 

I just made the topic to see how everyone else felt about it, and if they shared some of my takes on it, even if they did end up loving the game.

1 minute ago, RunItsAShark said:

I didn't misread your post, you complained about constantly getting one-shot. Had you better understood the games mechanics, this would not of happened. You have to prepared your equipment and skills properly for hard mode.

I feel like we're having two different conversations tbh, but thanks for your input!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Oh 100%, I'm not looking to shit on anyone's opinions about the game, my friends absolutely love it, and I guess I can see why. But for me there was just too much jankiness to the experience I couldn't overlook, and the story never really worked out for me. 1f605.png

 

I just made the topic to see how everyone else felt about it, and if they shared some of my takes on it, even if they did end up loving the game.

I feel like we're having two different conversations tbh, but thanks for your input!

Since you cannot remember what you wrote, I will quote it for you :

 

"Hard mode is just absolute BS - you will get oneshot over and over, and the enemies are not any harder to fight, just way more spongey"

 

This is what I was replying too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RunItsAShark said:

Since you cannot remember what you wrote, I will quote it for you :

 

"Hard mode is just absolute BS - you will get oneshot over and over, and the enemies are not any harder to fight, just way more spongey"

 

This is what I was replying too.

Google - "Nier Automata Hard mode" I'm not really alone in thinking it's a bit too much of a jump from normal mode. The prologue in particular - when you can't really prepare any pod chips or save - can get frustrating as most enemies will hit for 50%, and you'll only auto-heal below 30%, making it a bit pointless. The last boss in that section will also OHKO you if you mess up once, it's not a pleasant fight. Anyway, I'm not complaining about hard mode being hard - that's the point. But the mode below it is just waaaaaaaaaaayy too easy and exploitable. Did you not think the counter and the dodge mechanic was a bit too lenient? As soon as I had counter unlocked I could literally stand next to bosses, mash the direction button and keep attacking without any fear that I'd even be hit. That is a little questionable, no? Some bosses (like the desert one) it didn't work as well on, but yet again mashing R2 kept me out of any kind of trouble.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found it really boring. But I'm not into robots/ SF and stuff so the story did not interest me at all, and the gameplay is not my type (I prefer more command based, be it turn or action like KH and FFXV). The game looked nice and had lovely music, but the story and gameplay were not my liking. I thought the story might get better but nearing chapter 10 and honestly it was kind of boring. 

 

I can see how this game would be very popular with those who like robots, super fast action battles and open world. But I'm more old fashioned in the land of RPG's, with ATB command style (FF13 series, FFX-2 etc), turns (Disgaea, FF Tactics, Persona) and action command based (KH, FFXV) being more my cup of tea. My brother on the other hand loved this game as he's a big fan of open world action packed games. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has a mix of hack and slash and with shump, my two favorite mixes in games.

I really liked the 1st one and the 2nd one is from an android perspective.

 

Different strokes for different strokes

 

I like how this game is your 100th plat for a milestone

 

Edited by Galactic Hyper Balls
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.