My Profile Doesn't Reflect Me As A Gamer Anymore

RK9

46 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Very true. And don't forget that this entire system could easily be removed in the future and all the effort and stress you put on yourself could be gone in a second. :P

So I guess in the end we're just wasting our time going for trophies and platinums in the first place...

Good to know. Maybe I'll retire soon.

I started a new profile (while going through the same predicament) and made a rule for myself that I could never have more than 3 games that weren't at 100% completion. I like the feeling of completing my games, but this also holds me accountable to not spend a fortune on new games. I have a family to support so I can't buy every new game that comes out. I have been able to stick to this since I started this profile, with my first trophy popping 9/11/15 while playing The Last of Us Remastered. Every now and then I'll still have a stinker on my profile because I'll get a game I think I'll like but don't, however I still hammer through it, and am overall very proud of my list.

Hope this mind-set helps the original poster or anyone else who is having a similar problem!

Edited by dansomekid
  • Like 1

@dansomekid You have a really nice list of games, hats off to you for keeping your profile so tidy too ?

@Spaz I'm on the look out for some new games and I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Nathan Drake Collection, thanks for the recommendation. I've always thought Uncharted looks good so I'll happily give that a spin ?

@SoberNSane Thank you for the kind words, I hope everyone is enjoying the thread as much as I have! 

• Like 2

You have a pretty great profile to me! It's hard to know whether you are going to like a game or not, and I find myself picking up a game with good reviews but not liking it myself. I usually end up completing just the story or if the plat is super easy anyway, I just get it for the sake of it since the game is on my profile and I either paid for it or it adds to my trophy collection. e.g. I got Steins Gate and Steins Gate 0 free on PS plus, reviews looked great but I hated the game (not into otaku culture etc). Being a VN, the plat was super easy 1/10 difficulty so I just played the game and got it anyway, but it is the furthest away from what reflects me as a gamer. 

I also have random ps plus games like Atelier Sophie, Witch and the hundred knight and Tearaway from plus. I plan on playing them eventually and their trophies look relatively simple. But if I were to create a profile based on me, it would be full of just FF, Tales, Disgaea etc. Life is Strange is a game that I would never otherwise have played or even looked it if it did not pop up on plus as it's no where near the types of games I normally play (jrpg), but I ended up really enjoying the game, although it sticks out on my profile. 

But variety is the spice of life and having a variety of games, even if they are very different from what you usually play. You never know what you may enjoy and could discover some great games that you would have otherwise overlooked :) 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 11:59 PM, rdhight said:

I like the aspect of trophies that act as a log or diary. My 1% complete trophy lists for Drawn to Death and Lords of the Fallen serve to record that I don't always finish what I start, but they also act as a credential that I don't let negative hype make up my mind for me — I'm willing to see for myself. You can see I platinumed God of War in 10 days, but took 2 years to finish Unravel.

Of course nobody cares but me, but I like that record-keeping aspect. If I were in your position, I would play what I liked and let my trophy list document the change over time.

This is probably by far the best thing I’ve read in this thread.  Don’t let that completion ratio deter you. As you play games you enjoy, your log will start reflecting the type of gamer you are now, letting previous entries in your log serve as a journal and change of your changes in tastes, genres, and play styles.

I say this because e if you were to look at my Xbox 360 history, you’d see how I focused on Splinter Cell games and Ghost Recons, and military simulation games. As you move through my list you take notice that I eventually fell into the COD multiplayer trap, slowly branching out to Tomb Raider 2013 Year’s later coming back to single player games.

Edited by kitty_sullivan
  • Like 1

If I were you I'd just focus on moving forward. As I've said many times before, part of what makes trophies/achievements so appealing for me is that they offer a history of my gaming. I can look back and reflect on all that I've played and done and it's cool.

I don't have many regrets, but I do have a few [Energy Invasion]. But it is what it is. Those choices represent you at the time, everybody changes. So our trophy lists are bound to change as well. I just think that's normal. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but that's me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

If I were you I'd just focus on moving forward. As I've said many times before, part of what makes trophies/achievements so appealing for me is that they offer a history of my gaming. I can look back and reflect on all that I've played and done and it's cool.

I don't have many regrets, but I do have a few [Energy Invasion]. But it is what it is. Those choices represent you at the time, everybody changes. So our trophy lists are bound to change as well. I just think that's normal. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but that's me.

Very good observation.

I decided around last year at this time to stop buying 'shovelware' kind of games like Orc Slayer and just focus more on games I've been wanting to play. I don't find terrible but extremely easy games to be all that fun anyway, I want a game that I can immerse in and truly feel like I'm making progress.

Super Meat Boy and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, when I get around to both, will test my patience. I have Cotton Alley left to do for the platinum but it's one of the most difficult things I have made attempts on beating.