My Profile Doesn't Reflect Me As A Gamer Anymore

RK9

After i played Albedo: eyes from outer space for his easy platinum, i said: that's enough!, no more crappy games that i don't enjoy (wheels of aurelia, that's for you too). Some games are easy, cheap and enjoyable, like 36 fragments of midnight and deponia...but others, oh man, the albedo experience was atrocious.

• Like 2

@SoberNSane I appreciate your post, and even though I'm still undecided, I hear you. In one hand I see that if I do keep this account, everything I play going forward will reflect how I have personally grown and matured as a gamer and my gaming tastes have solidified into more meaningful experiences. But in the other hand, I still cringe when I look at threads such as: 'What was your first PS4 game', and mine was Nubla ?. 

As somebody mentioned earlier, my account doesn't have very many raw hours invested, so I could just move on and just replay the handful of good games I've completed. But then I suppose, with my account being fairly low level and not a huge trophy count, I could also tip the balance by playing more good games over time that will outnumber the bad games that I've played. @fabiansc83 I like the balance you have on your profile and it gives me hope for mine. You have played a fair few of the games that I wish I hadn't but you have completed more games that I would love to complete, going forward. 

Edited by Adamantium
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, supkris said:

Don't we all have that feeling? But I try to find a balance between easy (shiity) and good games and so have no complaints.

I don't.  My profile reflects me as a gamer. I have breaks, confusion, weird stints of chasing easy plats...etc. I am fine with all of that. 
I can own the fact that I don't always play the same way now as a I did last year or even last month.

You dont have to be, trophies dont make gamer or any better is just a hobby we all share here!

I have my moments where I get some nice plats and others when I go for easy ones cause they give it free or a friend lend to me.

Sometimes I play games I know I will not 100% but who cares! Is my gaming time not a job so I 100% or plat whatever I feel to.

Check my profile and you will find a beatiful mix of all.

Buddy gaming is about having fun, enjoy, art and life is not a job or feeling bad cause you want to play something that people say's is "easy, crap, etc..."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

PS, and I'm the one who doesn't care about trophies anymore.

Blasphemy. To the stake with you. You are on a trophy site...  LOL...

Good for you that trophies dont ruin your gaming experience. But you still play My name is Mayo (Vita and PS4) and Goat simulator (PS4) recently. Also you play the Jak series on PS4, Vita and PS3. Not that you should not but for me it means that you still find trophies important otherwise you play other games. Dont get me wrong everybody has is own taste but trophy hunters can be spotted when that have 'easy' and/or multiplatform games on there profile. Are you not a little in denial...

19 minutes ago, Paco-001 said:

Blasphemy. To the stake with you. You are on a trophy site...  LOL...

Good for you that trophies dont ruin your gaming experience. But you still play My name is Mayo (Vita and PS4) and Goat simulator (PS4) recently. Also you play the Jak series on PS4, Vita and PS3. Not that you should not but for me it means that you still find trophies important otherwise you play other games. Dont get me wrong everybody has is own taste but trophy hunters can be spotted when that have 'easy' and/or multiplatform games on there profile. Are you not a little in denial...

Jak I bought on PS3 because I liked the games. Then the Vita versions came out, I shouldn't play a new version of a game on a new platform given to me for free? As for Jak 1 on PS4, it was a free preorder bonus for Uncharted Lost Legacy, so I got you there too.

Goat Simulator I genuinely fucking love. I own it on Android, PS4, Xbone, and I think I even had it back when I had an iPhone a few years back. If the game launched with zero trophies I would still play it. Not to mention I bought all the DLC, and didn't bother doing the trophies.

My Name Is Mayo was a dollar and a laugh, and with all the shit going on here about it I had to check it out. 

So you're right, you got me, I spent a dollar on a game for a laugh. I clearly care about trophies.

20 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Jak I bought on PS3 because I liked the games. Then the Vita versions came out, I shouldn't play a new version of a game on a new platform given to me for free? As for Jak 1 on PS4, it was a free preorder bonus for Uncharted Lost Legacy, so I got you there too.

Goat Simulator I genuinely fucking love. I own it on Android, PS4, Xbone, and I think I even had it back when I had an iPhone a few years back. If the game launched with zero trophies I would still play it. Not to mention I bought all the DLC, and didn't bother doing the trophies.

My Name Is Mayo was a dollar and a laugh, and with all the shit going on here about it I had to check it out. 

So you're right, you got me, I spent a dollar on a game for a laugh. I clearly care about trophies.

Ok bro. Dont feel attacked. Just my two cents about the games you played the last year. Besides it is not about the moneys but all about the fun. Everybody has his own taste if you like to play the same games back to back, please do. I collect trophies too. So...   I was not there to catch anybody.

1 minute ago, Paco-001 said:

Ok bro. Dont feel attacked. Just my two cents about the games you played the last year. Besides it is not about the moneys but all about the fun. Everybody has his own taste if you like to play the same games back to back, please do. I collect trophies too. So...   I was not there to catch anybody.

Dude, I'm just dicking with you anyways. 

Point is though, the only recent "easy plat" games I've got I either got for free or play for genuine fun. 

Gotta defend the online rep, never know who may come collecting.

1 minute ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Dude, I'm just dicking with you anyways. 

Point is though, the only recent "easy plat" games I've got I either got for free or play for genuine fun. 

Gotta defend the online rep, never know who may come collecting.

True. Its all good. You dont get me mad. Just glitching trophies do.

1 hour ago, Adamantium said:

@fabiansc83 I like the balance you have on your profile and it gives me hope for mine. You have played a fair few of the games that I wish I hadn't but you have completed more games that I would love to complete, going forward. 

Thanks man, i'm always searching for a good balance, that's the answer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fabiansc83 said:

After i played Albedo: eyes from outer space for his easy platinum, i said: that's enough!, no more crappy games that i don't enjoy (wheels of aurelia, that's for you too). Some games are easy, cheap and enjoyable, like 36 fragments of midnight and deponia...but others, oh man, the albedo experience was atrocious.

Funny enough, that same game brought me to the same conclusion! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BakedSkywalker said:

Well on the plus side, any games that you only played for easy trophies/achievements that you ended up really enjoying?

There were a few that in all honesty weren't terrible: I found 36 fragments fun but too short. Day of the tentacle was surprisingly fucking hilarious (in a good way). Lateshift was also decent for what it is. My little Acre was a charming little story too.

So I suppose there are atleast a few games that I did find enjoyable that I otherwise would not of played without trophies, I guess that's a positive.

• Like 1

For someone who has been gaming since the mid 1990s I would think by this point you would know what is fun to you and what isn't.

I trophy hunt because I enjoy it. If I didn't, I wouldn't be on this website.

Personally I stopped buying "easy" games for platinums just because anybody can do them if they put in the slightest effort. 36 Fragments of Midnight looks like a Super Meat Boy wannabe but is a stark contrast to Meat Boy's challenging trophy list.

If you don't like trophy hunting or you feel it's a complete chore to you to even go for a few trophies, then it's probably best to take a break or find something else that you enjoy more.

• Like 1

I actually like playing those bad games. It's a nice break from the big budget games and the indie games with huge support.

I wouldn't have played them if achievements or trophies we're attached to them but still, when you play those bad games, it makes you appreciate a lot of things in games.

Also they provide a good laugh at how bad some of them are.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mecharobot said:

This post again.

I'm not saying that I fully disagree with this, but there is more to it than levels and # plats. Making acquaintances, participating in community events, finding mp/boosting buddies, getting ideas what to play, sharing/asking tips etc. Trophies can help with all this. It just depends what people make of it. Just preaching to the choir, but just trowing this out there to remind that people are in fact gaining something out of it.

All of those things can be done with or without trophies attached to them, and you certainly don't need to buy games you otherwise wouldn't. I think the problem is that a lot of people will look at a trophy list before determining whether to buy a game. I can understand this if you're maintaining a 100% profile and looking to buy an older game that you're not sure still have servers up and running. But otherwise, there's no reason to. If there's a game you want to play, then just play it. If you're looking at the time/difficulty of a game's trophy list before buying then chances are you're playing it for the wrong reasons.

It's actually great that you enjoy those aspects of trophy hunting, which in turn let's you enjoy all the games you play. That's my point exactly. Stick to the games you enjoy, for whatever reason that may be. Clearly the OP isn't in the same boat as you otherwise he wouldn't have made this thread. Time and time again polls on these forums have shown that mp is the least favourite aspect of trophy hunting for the vast majority of people. In other words, a lot of people tend to prefer a solitary experience but still use the forums for sharing/asking tips, participating in events catered around motivating them to finish their games. Sure trophies can help with this, but it's still no reason to plague your list with games you don't enjoy just for the plat count.

Tl;dr: You can achieve all those things you listed without having to plague your list with meaningless plats that aren't subjectively enjoyable.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

Not sure about how you could handle your Xbox profile, but here's an idea for your PSN profile in conjunction with PSNP:

Make your trophy cabinet representative of you as a gamer. I know you only get to choose 10 (?) trophies to put in there, but you have the opportunity to use it to showcase your gamer identity in whatever way you want, and you can change it whenever you want.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

All of those things can be done with or without trophies attached to them, and you certainly don't need to buy games you otherwise wouldn't. I think the problem is that a lot of people will look at a trophy list before determining whether to buy a game. I can understand this if you're maintaining a 100% profile and looking to buy an older game that you're not sure still have servers up and running. But otherwise, there's no reason to. If there's a game you want to play, then just play it. If you're looking at the time/difficulty of a game's trophy list before buying then chances are you're playing it for the wrong reasons.

It's actually great that you enjoy those aspects of trophy hunting, which in turn let's you enjoy all the games you play. That's my point exactly. Stick to the games you enjoy, for whatever reason that may be. Clearly the OP isn't in the same boat as you otherwise he wouldn't have made this thread. Time and time again polls on these forums have shown that mp is the least favourite aspect of trophy hunting for the vast majority of people. In other words, a lot of people tend to prefer a solitary experience but still use the forums for sharing/asking tips, participating in events catered around motivating them to finish their games. Sure trophies can help with this, but it's still no reason to plague your list with games you don't enjoy just for the plat count.

Tl;dr: You can achieve all those things you listed without having to plague your list with meaningless plats that aren't subjectively enjoyable.

Which is why I question all those people who just buy up "shit" games exclusively for the platinums.

I used to do this up until last year when I realized that I wasn't having fun or enjoying myself, so for the past several months I've been going after games I want to play myself rather than just look at their trophy lists and think they're difficult or easy.

• Like 1

I have kinda the same problem as you, although i don't have such a huge profile, i still look at the games on it sometimes and see titles of which i know are shit. Am i happy to have trophies on it? yes. Am i happy to have played it? no. Does it make my profile reflect less to who i am as a gamer? Yes.

I didn't really start trophy hunting until 2 years ago. In the beginning, it was just the gams i physically had bought, but sometimes i find myself playing shit ps+ games just for the sake of trophies. And sometimes i also have the feeling like just 'giving up' and start over. I won't do that though cuz just as with you it does affect you in a way to play the games you cherish more than others. and I'm not as obsessed with trophies as I was like 6 months ago. I do still play ps+ games, but I'm not as obsessed with 100% completion anymore and overall I play more games right now that I actually wanna play for the game and not for its trophies.

That said, i still like clearing up some old games (even shitty ones) from time to time. but i won't start as many new ones anymore.

57 minutes ago, SoberNSane said:

I disagree. The reason estimated time to plat and plat difficulty are listed is to give people an idea of what to expect in terms of time and difficulty. There are plenty of reasons to look at this besides if you’re trying to maintain a 100% profile or whether servers are still up or not. Such as how much time you enjoy putting into a game and what levels of difficulty you enjoy. [...]

Fair point, I think most people over-analyse the situation though. I come from a time before the internet and as such this kinda information wasn't available back then, yet I still enjoyed gaming just as much, if not more. That's the point I was trying to get across. Everything is given on a platter with dancing maidens these days.

And as for knowing which games are good, yeah of course you won't know unless you take a proverbial leap every now and then. I am mostly referring to the 5 minute plats here. I find it interesting how people feel the need to justify those, it makes me wonder if on some subconscious level they are seeking approval. (That's not directed at you btw.)

57 minutes ago, SoberNSane said:

I’ve said before - I often wonder how much a person liked a particular game when they 100% them all. Ha ha. By the way, I hope you guys who do that give reviews after you play your games and tell us how you liked them. 

For me it has always been a really rewarding experience, knowing that you've done everything the developers have had to offer (I go for true 100% beyond plats) and overcome any hurdles along the way. Sometimes it can be a drag if it's a mind numbing grind to the finish line but I have a lot of podcasts to get through during those times. If I've hit a difficulty wall then I'm always eager to grow as a gamer and get past it. The best part of going for 100% is embracing game modes that you previously abhorred. I was one of those who despised online modes with a vengeance but now it's my favourite part of gaming and it's something I wouldn't have discovered if it wasn't for my 100% obsession. Also I do write diary type reviews but they're all archived on my PC for my own recollection purposes.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 2

I remember a time when we went for all the golden stars in Mario 64 because we wanted too, not because some achievement/trophy told us too. Don’t worry about your profile reflecting you as a gamer. Play what you want to play, who cares if its an easy plat? I’m going for the plat in Fallout 4 because I love the game and having platted that, well most would assume likewise. . Not because I want to boost my trophy level. I platted my “My name is Mayo” why? Because a friend told me it was an easy plat. I wanted to see what he was talking about. I found the mediocre game actually funny as hell and pounded my button 10,000 times just for the laughs. Am I ashamed? No. Would I brag about it? No. Play games that YOU like. Who cares if you only got 4 trophies in some stupid game. It just shows you didn’t finish the game, maybe you didn’t like it.  I have 10/1000 gamerscore on plenty of games because I got some stupid achievement for beating level 1 or opening a door. The game sucked, I didn’t finish it. Did my completion ratio hurt? Yes, but as someone who is well into my 30’s, I guess I have more prominent things to worry about. Don’t let your completion ratio depress you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gamesfourever said:

I didn't really start trophy hunting until 2 years ago. In the beginning, it was just the gams i physically had bought, but sometimes i find myself playing shit ps+ games just for the sake of trophies. And sometimes i also have the feeling like just 'giving up' and start over. I won't do that though cuz just as with you it does affect you in a way to play the games you cherish more than others. and I'm not as obsessed with trophies as I was like 6 months ago. I do still play ps+ games, but I'm not as obsessed with 100% completion anymore and overall I play more games right now that I actually wanna play for the game and not for its trophies.

You put yourself at risk by always going for 100 percent completion. Eventually you will come across a game that is beyond your skill level, or you jumped in too late to get all the online trophies in time. 

I stopped going for the “shit” games simply because I wasn’t enjoying them. Anyone can get the Slyde platinum, anyone can get the platinum in 36 Fragments of Midnight if they do much as put in a few hours time. I get more satisfaction out of being one in a few. 

2 hours ago, SoberNSane said:

Bottom line. Your profile is going to reflect you no matter what you play because you’re the one picking. It would be pretty hard to control that outcome unless you’re very skilled and can afford to be selective, and even then I think you would soon run out of games that fit your exact standard (of your own reflection). Besides you’re probably never gonna know what games are a good “reflection of who you are as a gamer” - until you’ve played them. 
 By then they’re stuck to your profile unless you hide them.

Right now my profile reflects me because I stopped playing Vampyr when I stopped enjoying it, even though I technically could go for the last collectibles for the plat (and I might someday)... But right now I’m playing nothing because I’m uninspired.  Which is why I’m running my mouth off way more that I should...

I’ve said before - I often wonder how much a person liked a particular game when they 100% them all. Ha ha. By the way, I hope you guys who do that give reviews after you play your games and tell us how you liked them. 

Yes and no. 

I’ve been gaming since the early 1990s, far longer than when trophies existed. In recent years I’ve taken up trophy hunting because I enjoy it and it satisfies me, even if the game I’m playing is challenging. 

If you’re judging people based on how many easy/difficult games they’ve completed, that’s really only showing one side of a player. Someone who has done multiple stacks of The Walking Dead doesn’t necessarily mean they did them exclusively for the trophies, they might have really enjoyed the game. That logic can apply to a trophy hunter who finished all three stacks of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. 

I run my mouth more than others too. But that’s just who I am. 

2 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Fair point, I think most people over-analyse the situation though. I come from a time before the internet and as such this kinda information wasn't available back then, yet I still enjoyed gaming just as much, if not more. That's the point I was trying to get across. Everything is given on a platter with dancing maidens these days.

And as for knowing which games are good, yeah of course you won't know unless you take a proverbial leap every now and then. I am mostly referring to the 5 minute plats here. I find it interesting how people feel the need to justify those, it makes me wonder if on some subconscious level they are seeking approval. (That's not directed at you btw.)

For me it has always been a really rewarding experience, knowing that you've done everything the developers have had to offer (I go for true 100% beyond plats) and overcome any hurdles along the way. Sometimes it can be a drag if it's a mind numbing grind to the finish line but I have a lot of podcasts to get through during those times. If I've hit a difficulty wall then I'm always eager to grow as a gamer and get past it. The best part of going for 100% is embracing game modes that you previously abhorred. I was one of those who despised online modes with a vengeance but now it's my favourite part of gaming and it's something I wouldn't have discovered if it wasn't for my 100% obsession. Also I do write diary type reviews but they're all archived on my PC for my own recollection purposes.

I grew up in the 1990s and early 2000s so I understand completely where you are coming from. 

Point and click games have been almost entirely ruined by the use of walkthroughs and trophy guides. Any idiot with half a brain can earn the platinum in a point and click game like Deponia. 

Back in in the day we had to rely on written manuals and our instincts to bypass a difficult puzzle. I got stuck on some of LucasArts games for hours until I finally stumbled on something by just doing it. I don’t see that anymore, because literally anyone can just look up a guide on their smartphone or whatever electronic device they have and just earn the trophies in quick succession. 

The trophies themselves have also been made a lot easier. After looking at several games from 2007 - 2010 I can definitely tell you had to work your ass off to earn the platinum. The 10,000 kills trophy in Resistance 2. The Valor Grand Cross trophy in Killzone 2. Beating all the challenges in Vanquish. Most of what I’ve seen this generation hasn’t had anything like those apart from some indie games. 

Going for that 100 percent in something like Dishonored is an accomplishment to me. 

I understand that not everyone likes hard games and that’s completely fine. You play what you enjoy. But it always tick me off whenever I have to hear people bitching that they won’t buy a game like Wolfenstein 2 because it has the Mein Leben trophy. It’s almost if people just want trophies and platinums handed to them in a silver platter. 

1 hour ago, kitty_sullivan said:

I remember a time when we went for all the golden stars in Mario 64 because we wanted too, not because some achievement/trophy told us too. Don’t worry about your profile reflecting you as a gamer. Play what you want to play, who cares if its an easy plat? I’m going for the plat in Fallout 4 because I love the game and having platted that, well most would assume likewise. . Not because I want to boost my trophy level. I platted my “My name is Mayo” why? Because a friend told me it was an easy plat. I wanted to see what he was talking about. I found the mediocre game actually funny as hell and pounded my button 10,000 times just for the laughs. Am I ashamed? No. Would I brag about it? No. Play games that YOU like. Who cares if you only got 4 trophies in some stupid game. It just shows you didn’t finish the game, maybe you didn’t like it.  I have 10/1000 gamerscore on plenty of games because I got some stupid achievement for beating level 1 or opening a door. The game sucked, I didn’t finish it. Did my completion ratio hurt? Yes, but as someone who is well into my 30’s, I guess I have more prominent things to worry about. Don’t let your completion ratio depress you.

Super Mario 64 is one of my favorite childhood games of all time. Going for some of those stars was a nice challenge, as was collecting 100 coins for a star because some of those worlds had very tricky coin placement. 

I like to complete the games I place on my profile. I’m a bit of a completionist and I have OCD, which I was diagnosed with some years ago. 

I encourage everyone to play what they enjoy, but it irks me that I sometimes feel that those with very low completion percents aren’t really trophy hunters. That’s just my opinion, so don’t take that the wrong way.

• Like 1