Gym Tips?

spidey0115

train every muscle spread out on different days. 

like: 

Workout #1     Monday and wensday 

Every exercise  -  3 sets

Flat Bench Presses - 10-12 Reps  -  

ncline Flyes - 10-12 Reps      

Chins - 10-12 Reps      

One-Arm Rows - 10-12 Reps      

Standing Barbells Curls - 10-12 Reps      

Concentration Curls - 10-12 Reps      

Crunches - 20-30 Reps      

Leg Raises - 15-20 Reps      

Workout #2

Squats - 12-15 Reps       Leg Extensions - 12-15 Reps       Lying Leg Curls - 15-20 Reps       Standing Calf Raises - 15-20 Reps       Seated Calf Raises - 15-20 Reps       Shoulder Presses - 12-15 Reps       Lateral Raises - 12-15 Reps       Dumbell Shrugs - 12-15 Reps       Triceps Pushdowns - 10-12 Reps       One-Arm Cable Pushdowns - 10-12 Reps      

Edited by Malik
  • Like 1

Only going to be going 3 times a week. Does it make a diffrence?

Depends on what your goals are.

When I was training, I did 4 days a week but I was doing a powerlifting routine. 3 days is still better than no days so anything/anytime you go will be of benefit to yourself.

You can still train 2 bodyparts a day in a 3 day scheme.

Chest/Arms

Back/Legs

Core/Shoulders

Edited by Paulie1313
  • Like 1

Train hard, be consistent and stick with it. The rest will come naturally in time.

Anyone who tells you to train legs on the same day as another body part has clearly never done a proper workout in their life, so ignore all exercise-specific advise and find your own path.

Make sure you run on treadmills along with weightlifting; Not just weightlifting Also clean the equipment before and after you use them! I knew some dude who got ringworm on the back of his head at the gym! O_O.

Well, that settles it. I'm never going to the gym ever again.

• Like 2

id say go more than 3 days a week  if you can and try to train for more than 1 hour.

do lighter weights with high reps 12-15 at least depending on muscle your working, calfs and abs and traps tends to work well with even higher reps for me!

as your trying to lose weight/fat just do anything that makes you out of breath and sweat and most importantly try to have fun otherwise youll give up soon enough being bored shitless with it!

p.s try going in mornings as it help with energy levels throughout rest of day, believe or not ;)

Edited by ANTIOX_

If your primary goal is fat loss, then don't spend a lot of time with weights. Weights will build strength and muscle tone, but won't contribute much to fat burning. Like what's already been stated, you're going to want to spend the majority of your time with some fairly high-intensity cardio.

If you're interested in building strength alongside the fat burning, I'd recommend biking (either outdoor or on a stationary), ellipticals, and/or stair machines. They'll all give you a pretty fair lower-body workout as well depending on how hard you push yourself. And while they're certainly rarer, spending time on a rowing machine with the proper form is a full-body workout and honestly some of the most efficient time you can spend at a gym, period.

But if you're purely in it to cut fat, treadmills and low-intensity swimming are going to be your best bets. They won't (necessarily) make you as sore, and they might be better for you at first regardless. Whatever you do you'll be burning fat, but muscle has a higher density and so if you're doing too much strength training you might be discouraged when the scale doesn't seem to be changing quickly.

Whatever activities you end up pursuing, here are some fairly general tips:

• As others have said, be sure to alternate muscle groups and give yourself rest periods. Even if you're not going for muscle fatigue and strength-building, you should still rotate what groups you're using each day. Overuse can actually make you weaker and increase the incidence of injury.
  • Be sure to stretch out before and after each workout. Be sure to build into whatever you're doing; don't try for a 110% anaerobic sprint right out of the gate. You'll exhaust yourself, completely screw up your pacing, and open yourself to injury.
  • Invest in some good workout gear. While it's not as important for lifting, you're going to want something nice and cool for cardio, and if the fabric wicks moisture that'll only make you more comfortable. It'd also be a good idea to make sure your shorts end at or above the knee so you can get full range of motion when running or biking.
  • Nutrition can help out majorly. It's totally possible to trim fat and look better while still eating junk food and going out, but if you moderate it more and watch your intake, you'll see results faster. Additionally, in a more workout-specific vein, try having something small before and after each session. Nothing so large that you run the risk of being sick, but a banana or a protein bar are good ideas. 
  • HYDRATE ALL THE TIME. Even during the rest of your day, be plugging away at water and look into something for your workouts themselves.Some kind of electrolyte drink that's tailored to combat dehydration will help in your initial recovery, whether it's Gatorade or something else (it's easy enough to make something yourself - toss a few teaspoons of salt into your water bottle, with a pinch of sugar and maybe some lemon juice for flavor). Especially if you take up my suggestions on swimming, where indoor pools can be very humid and you'll lose a lot of moisture, this is critical. 

Hope this helps; feel free to message me if you have any more specific questions. I've done a lot of bodybuilding in my time, as well as intensive conditioning for a wide variety of sports so I've got a fair amount of experience. Good luck!

Edited by Curb
  • Like 2

Sound advice from Curb, but weights will allow you to sculpt body - so you can also try less weight/more reps - no weight but no muscle is not nice either ;)

A fair point, but if you've never really done something like this before I'd recommend focusing on one thing at a time. You'll see more visible results if you do the fat burn first, and then move onto building. Otherwise, like I said earlier, you'll start to gain weight alongside the fat loss and if it's not what you're expecting, you'll likely be discouraged.