Tips for Missile, Demon, Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy

S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y

13 hours ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

The thing about these short 100% times is, even if you have an experience from Steam version (which is slightly longer, but the hardest task is the same), doing 100% on PSN AGAIN is just soul crushing. I've done 100% on Steam five times faster than here, because game was fresh for me and the soundtrack was kickass (PSN version OST is decent, but not comparable, sorry), so I had much more motivation to do so. When I started working on Girl Boy on PSN on 4th day, I just put the controller and think to myself "nope, I just can't do it in such short timespan". Doing the whole game in one day (or even a week) without taking a longer break even with a prior experience requires incredible dedication.

I completely understand a lot of people with the platinum on this website have played this game before, particularly on Steam considering it was there five years before it came to the PS4. 

Finishing this game in under a day is a feat of accomplishment in of itself. But a number of these achievers have very suspicious accounts, whereas they just played Super Meat Boy and not bothered with anything else. 

For me, I’m coming up on two years and one month. I’ve gone several months without touching this game. The last two no death runs took me a constant 2 - 4 days of practice, dying over and over and over until I finally perfected a level. It was rewarding but at the same time stressful. 

I respect any legit player who can get this game done in under a day. Because that’s something I’ll never be able to pull off.

• 2 weeks later...

MeatBoy is @ 0.20% ATM

GO! GO! GO! Let's make it a common plat xD

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania meatboy png

On 24.06.2019 at 7:48 AM, Datboy1991 said:

I got the platinum tonight. Thanks so much to the OP for this thread! It was super helpful and I don’t think I would have gone through with this game without it! 

Congrats!

Edited by UltraRareBoy
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Did a practice run for Impossible Boy, got a few levels down pat. 

Right now I’m struggling with 7-6X, 7-14X, 7-15X and 7-19X. 7-13X is tough but manageable for me. 7-18X seems to be random with how the monster creatures react. 

A couple levels (7-11X, 7-20X) feel easier than their Light Cotton Alley counterparts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Right now I’m struggling with 7-6X, 7-14X, 7-15X and 7-19X. 7-13X is tough but manageable for me. 7-18X seems to be random with how the monster creatures react. 

A couple levels (7-11X, 7-20X) feel easier than their Light Cotton Alley counterparts.

Yeah 7-14X remained one of the hardest one for me, at least until I found a somewhat reliable strategy to get this done (as I wrote in my tips-post a couple of pages back). 7-15X I found that jumping up the wall to the block instead of sliding was better, otherwise I was often too slow. 

But once I practiced it enough, they became pretty easy. I just had a look and I actually put it pretty late in my run: 

1 – 6 – 8 – 9 – 19 – 20 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 13 – 14 – 15 – 16 – 18 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 17 – 7

But it's looking good if you only have trouble with the ones above! I got the run once I was only struggling in 4-6 levels. Once I was at that skill level, it was only a matter of getting those in a row and keeping calm with the ones I was having less trouble with. Of course I also screwed up after getting the most difficult ones out of the way... ? That's kinda unavoidable. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

The problem with 7-6X is jumping over that one sawblade, and then going back and forth until you reach Meat Boy. Somehow.... I don't know why, but I have a much easier time playing this level on my Vita than on my PS4. The 'lock platforms' just disappear far too quickly.

7-19X is the bane of my existence. I think I only cleared it twice. It's basically running against time as all those blocks run up against you at a certain time after you hit the switch. Then there's the extremely tight jumps at the end with the sawblades which is just cruel.

Edited by Spaz

So I just had a 13 level streak in Dark Cotton Alley, only to botch it up on 7-14X, the level with the laser eyes.

I still CANNOT do 7-19X well at all, which is probably the worst level in the entire set. Everything else for me is doable with practice. Of course there's always the stupid mistake and death.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spaz said:

So I just had a 13 level streak in Dark Cotton Alley, only to botch it up on 7-14X, the level with the laser eyes.

I still CANNOT do 7-19X well at all, which is probably the worst level in the entire set. Everything else for me is doable with practice. Of course there's always the stupid mistake and death.

I hope you are doing 7-19X as one of the first levels then.. But hey, 13 in a row is already pretty good! There's always the chance to screw up in easy ones in the second half, but if you manage to get that far a couple more times, you'll get it done for sure! 

I'd recommend finishing the run regardless, and writing down hof many times you've died and in which levels. Maybe that way you can optimize the level order! 

Good luck!

Edited by Arcesius

On 7/24/2019 at 8:36 PM, Spaz said:

7-14X probably took me the most practice of any of the stages. Letting go of sprint helps with that jump off the key platform (the hardest jump in the level IMO)

7-15X felt more consistent to me when I quit to menu before trying it. Hellmaws are notoriously inconsistent though as you well know by now :) 

7-19X even though it’s “timed”, don’t rush as you have plenty (by Super Meat Boy standards) of time. You want to land squarely on platforms for the first 3/4 because if you are pushing up against the disappearing wall, you will fall into the salt. Also don’t sprint at the end. This was my second hardest level just because of the end. 

Based on your comments, it sounds like you’ve almost got it. We’re all rooting for you, mate! Hopefully something in my rambling was helpful. 

Edited by DBTrophyGuy

24 minutes ago, Jasko_SOA said:

Hey guys,

did I understand this correctly: You can do the "chapters" of one world in whatever order you want for the impossible runs?

So basically you start of with the difficult ones rather than repeating the easier ones only to get rekt by the more difficult ones?

That's right, you cand o them in any order. You can quit to map from any level and the progress won't be reset. Just don't leave the world you are currently doing! 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

That's right, you cand o them in any order. You can quit to map from any level and the progress won't be reset. Just don't leave the world you are currently doing! 

So if I die, I can quit to map as well without losing progress towards the trophy? 

Sorry, if the question may sound stupid, I haven´t started playing it yet, but I will soon though. :)

3 minutes ago, Jasko_SOA said:

So if I die, I can quit to map as well without losing progress towards the trophy? 

Sorry, if the question may sound stupid, I haven´t started playing it yet, but I will soon though. :)

No, if you die, your progress resets! You can quit to map to change levels without losing progress or switch characters. But the 20 levels need to be done deathless, no way to avoid that requirement.. 

Have fun, it's a great game! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DBTrophyGuy said:

7-14X probably took me the most practice of any of the stages. Letting go of sprint helps with that jump off the key platform (the hardest jump in the level IMO)

The trick is once you grab the key, quickly hold down the run button (R2) and once you jump to that small platform, let go of R2. You should land on that block with practice, then you hold R2 and jump to that block where the eye lasers cannot get you. Then it's a matter of reaching Meat Boy.

7-15X felt more consistent to me when I quit to menu before trying it. Hellmaws are notoriously inconsistent though as you well know by now :)

They are random at times. The left Hellmaw can sometimes shoot directly at you just left of where you start, which is bullshit. Then there are times where I cannot reach the right side because one of the Hellmaws shot in a slightly different direction...

7-19X even though it’s “timed”, don’t rush as you have plenty (by Super Meat Boy standards) of time. You want to land squarely on platforms for the first 3/4 because if you are pushing up against the disappearing wall, you will fall into the salt. Also don’t sprint at the end. This was my second hardest level just because of the end.

The rhythm is extremely difficult to get down but once you got it then it's fairly consistent. The main difficulty afterwards is just reaching the top, which by then you should know the level fairly well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 0:38 AM, Jasko_SOA said:

Your progress will only reset when you see the character actually die (splatter or fall) and automatically put back to the beginning of the stage, or when you exit the level map.

One useful trick is to pause and quit manually right as you know you are going to die but still have time to pause and quit. (e.g. falling through a pit)

On 11.8.2019 at 3:59 AM, jaehyun1009 said:

Your progress will only reset when you see the character actually die (splatter or fall) and automatically put back to the beginning of the stage, or when you exit the level map.

One useful trick is to pause and quit manually right as you know you are going to die but still have time to pause and quit. (e.g. falling through a pit)

thanks sir

On 7/30/2019 at 4:41 AM, Spaz said:

The trick is once you grab the key, quickly hold down the run button (R2) and once you jump to that small platform, let go of R2. You should land on that block with practice, then you hold R2 and jump to that block where the eye lasers cannot get you. Then it's a matter of reaching Meat Boy.

They are random at times. The left Hellmaw can sometimes shoot directly at you just left of where you start, which is bullshit. Then there are times where I cannot reach the right side because one of the Hellmaws shot in a slightly different direction...

The rhythm is extremely difficult to get down but once you got it then it's fairly consistent. The main difficulty afterwards is just reaching the top, which by then you should know the level fairly well.

The Maws are not random at all unless they are literally glitched. It's just that very minor changes in your movement affect their trajectory (and the baby maw trajectory) 

I haven't played in a while, but according to my strategies doc, the issue is that you are either a) not holding left at level start b)not running for the length of approximately .5 block before jumping c) not letting go of run to affect your momentum in the middle d) not resetting if you see the maw bits going parallel when it hits (this means it will collide with you, so make sure to pause after grabbing key to check) or e) you are not accounting for the maw portal losing vision. When it wiggles that means it has vision of you, however it randomly stops wiggling which means it has lost vision of you, you absolutely must adjust your jump timing to the maw portal's visibilty of you. 

Hope that helps and let me know if you need any more help or would like my full strategies doc which may be helpful (but probably not since they are specific to my muscle memory of the levels)

2 hours ago, machaesthetic said:

The Maws are not random at all unless they are literally glitched. It's just that very minor changes in your movement affect their trajectory (and the baby maw trajectory) 

I haven't played in a while, but according to my strategies doc, the issue is that you are either a) not holding left at level start b)not running for the length of approximately .5 block before jumping c) not letting go of run to affect your momentum in the middle d) not resetting if you see the maw bits going parallel when it hits (this means it will collide with you, so make sure to pause after grabbing key to check) or e) you are not accounting for the maw portal losing vision. When it wiggles that means it has vision of you, however it randomly stops wiggling which means it has lost vision of you, you absolutely must adjust your jump timing to the maw portal's visibilty of you. 

Hope that helps and let me know if you need any more help or would like my full strategies doc which may be helpful (but probably not since they are specific to my muscle memory of the levels)

I'm aware of the levels quite well thank you very much.

It's just a matter of beating them all without dying. Still struggling to do that, but I'm consistently getting to 13 - 15 levels without dying. I just had a run end when I had only two easy levels left. Died on a part I've done thousands of times, no idea what the hell happened there.

Every time that happens I just leave the game for a bit and play something else.

6 hours ago, machaesthetic said:

No need to be patronizing. Based off your statement in your previous post, you are clearly not aware of the levels since your statement was untrue and shows a lack of knowledge regarding how the level works. There is little tricks you learn as you continue to do the stages. Even once I thought I had a stage consistently, I still had quite a bit more intricacies to learn and that's what makes the trophy so difficult is that you need to be extremely consistent instead of just somewhat consistent. You don't seem very receptive to help though so good luck struggling and brute forcing your way through. 1f642.png

There’s no need to acting this way. 

Someone said it best on the PST.org forums. Even if you have a 80 percent chance of success on the tougher levels, you will still struggle to get all the levels done consistently. That’s pretty much where I’m at. 

Am I getting better? Yes. Am I one of the better players? Nowhere close at all. 

There are people who can get all of the trophies in less than a day. That is something I can never possibly accomplish no matter what. I tip my hat to them, just goes to show there are those more talented in games than I am. 

Because I’m this close I’m not giving up. But don’t act like I’m being stubborn or I’m refusing to learn anything new. I’ve used different tactics to get over that one sawblade in 7-1X based on the OP’s information.

If I was new to this game and you gave me this response I would of either ignored it or just give up entirely and move on to other games. People can ALWAYS do better, even if they’re the best at something.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 0:46 PM, machaesthetic said:

No need to be patronizing. Based off your statement in your previous post, you are clearly not aware of the levels since your statement was untrue and shows a lack of knowledge regarding how the level works. There is little tricks you learn as you continue to do the stages. Even once I thought I had a stage consistently, I still had quite a bit more intricacies to learn and that's what makes the trophy so difficult is that you need to be extremely consistent instead of just somewhat consistent. You don't seem very receptive to help though so good luck struggling and brute forcing your way through. ?

I don't think it's fair to call him patronizing, and I don't think your last sentence is called for either. You're probably very skilled and pick up muscle memory very easily, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everybody else just has to "learn the strats" if they're having difficulty closing out the run. Consistently hitting 13-15 streaks and getting as close as 18 with 2 easy levels left isn't "not knowing the levels". You can be as consistent as hell on individual levels but then crumble under the stress once it's part of a marathon. There's not really any specific level strategies that will ever help with that, just commitment and grind.

@Spaz, it probably doesn't mean much since I'm only just coming back to this game to begin working on the iron mans after a very long absence (having none of the difficult ones complete yet), but as someone who has completed some other very difficult games, it sounds like you're burning out and need to re-group and get your motivation back after a break. I personally burn out on games sometimes, and taking a break to focus on something else (another game, or just something else entirely) often regroups my focus and I come back only to kill the previously insurmountable challenge in no time flat. It sounds like you need that right now to get in the right head space to close this out. The only problem, is that SMB also relies a crazy amount on muscle memory, so maybe try pulling away from the game and putting in 30 minutes or less (if you're consistently hitting 13-15, maybe just say 1 attempt a day), just to keep the muscle memory fresh while not demanding too much time of you. Then when you're feeling up to it, try hitting it hard again on a weekend in a bit and I have no doubt you'll crush this thing. You're crazy close, so clearly that means you're skilled enough to finish it. You just need that extra little push and the proper motivation to take it.

18 hours ago, Solarus755 said:

@Spaz, it probably doesn't mean much since I'm only just coming back to this game to begin working on the iron mans after a very long absence (having none of the difficult ones complete yet), but as someone who has completed some other very difficult games, it sounds like you're burning out and need to re-group and get your motivation back after a break. I personally burn out on games sometimes, and taking a break to focus on something else (another game, or just something else entirely) often regroups my focus and I come back only to kill the previously insurmountable challenge in no time flat. It sounds like you need that right now to get in the right head space to close this out. The only problem, is that SMB also relies a crazy amount on muscle memory, so maybe try pulling away from the game and putting in 30 minutes or less (if you're consistently hitting 13-15, maybe just say 1 attempt a day), just to keep the muscle memory fresh while not demanding too much time of you. Then when you're feeling up to it, try hitting it hard again on a weekend in a bit and I have no doubt you'll crush this thing. You're crazy close, so clearly that means you're skilled enough to finish it. You just need that extra little push and the proper motivation to take it.

I don’t think you’ll find a whole lot trophy wise that can compare to Super Meat Boy in terms of sheer difficulty. There’s stuff like Necrodancer but that is every bit as extreme and strenuous as it gets. 

Racing games like Gran Turismo Sport and fighting games like Super Street Fighter IV I’m no good at. Everyone has their strengths. I’m good at platformers. Some people are horrible at them. 

Yeah that’s true. Super Meat Boy relies tremendously on muscle memory. You can go 15 levels, forget one little detail that ends up being your death, and you start all over. You will also fail at levels you pulled off flawlessly several times either due to pressure or you got a bit overconfident. Impossible Boy is by far the hardest no death run. Girl Boy in comparison is rather easy. 

In conclusion you need to keep at it. But I am fully aware that many people give up on this game because they don’t have the dedication required to get better and master the levels.