What's Considered Cheating?

What you're contemplating to do is definitely cheating! You're better off just using 2 ps3's and 2 copies of GTAIV w/ dlc to use an "in-game" exploit for the Wanted trophy.  Took me about 4 days of endless "turbo" boosting myself. Lame yes i know, but come on we're collecting virtual "trophies"!  Anyways, you also don't want to be linked to other people who have CFW who fool around with online game functions or else you take the risk of Sony banning your account right along with them (from my understanding, could be wrong though). 

Some of the funniest and most enjoyable moments I've ever had whilst playing games came from playing towards that Wanted trophy in GTA IV; playing with some incredibly funny, intelligent and downright awesome guys made it a blast to play. I wouldn't swap those 50+ hours of laughs for anything, especially not for an easy, quick and hollow moment of gratification. 

I had some good times too. One guy kept chasing me and shooting whatever vehicle I got in, I just wanted to get it over with so I sent him a message that just said '♥'. He responded with a friend request and now we're like "frienemies" competing for trophies.

Another fond memory was after getting the platinum I decided to play one more round. I was always the pilot because I couldn't stand if someone was like 5 seconds slower than me. So on this final round with these two randoms I'd been playing with for a couple hours I get the chopper and load them like normal but then I just flew as high as it could possibly go and then said into my mic "got my plat later bitches!" and jumped out of the chopper haha. The one guy sent me a message with just a subject line which read "NOOB SON THE BITCH" just like that all caps. It's the only protected message I have because it makes me smile everytime I see it.

Still...here's to hoping GTA5 doesn't include anything so mindlessly repetive just for the sake of padding playtime.

*EDIT* Btw I didn't send him a heart, it was a word that's apparently too vulgar for this site :)

Edited by lporiginalg
  • Like 1

I had some good times too. One guy kept chasing me and shooting whatever vehicle I got in, I just wanted to get it over with so I sent him a message that just said '♥'. He responded with a friend request and now we're like "frienemies" competing for trophies.

Another fond memory was after getting the platinum I decided to play one more round. I was always the pilot because I couldn't stand if someone was like 5 seconds slower than me. So on this final round with these two randoms I'd been playing with for a couple hours I get the chopper and load them like normal but then I just flew as high as it could possibly go and then said into my mic "got my plat later bitches!" and jumped out of the chopper haha. The one guy sent me a message with just a subject line which read "NOOB SON THE BITCH" just like that all caps. It's the only protected message I have because it makes me smile everytime I see it.

Still...here's to hoping GTA5 doesn't include anything so mindlessly repetive just for the sake of padding playtime.

*EDIT* Btw I didn't send him a heart, it was a word that's apparently too vulgar for this site :)

I like your style.

:lol:

Some of the funniest and most enjoyable moments I've ever had whilst playing games came from playing towards that Wanted trophy in GTA IV; playing with some incredibly funny, intelligent and downright awesome guys made it a blast to play. I wouldn't swap those 50+ hours of laughs for anything, especially not for an easy, quick and hollow moment of gratification. 

To each his own.  I have a backlog of great games I can't get to play, because I just have to get 100% in GTA4 first.  Would rather be spending the 50 hours playing those, than grinding a 5 old game.

• Like 1

You'll be flagged as cheater only if your timestamps are impossible.

Example: All the trophies of one game with the same timestamp, or with timestamps every 5 minutes.

You could be reported and flagged manually if you have trophies that cannot be obtained anymore or that are reported to be impossible to obtain for various reasons.

All in all, you'll be reported if you hack and unlock trophies with third party programs/save games.

If you obtain a trophy that requires a long farming time in a too narrow timeframe because of boosting or whatever then you could be reported, just be mindful of that.

To each his own.  I have a backlog of great games I can't get to play, because I just have to get 100% in GTA4 first.  Would rather be spending the 50 hours playing those, than grinding a 5 old game.

Well, obviously the context for you is somewhat different and doesn't really apply to me, as when I was playing it online and unlocked the 'Wanted' trophy it was a mere year-and-a-half old; it's a good thing I played it back when the trophy patch was first released, I guess. 

• Like 1

Just a quick update.  I've completed all my online trophies for GTAIV last night, except for 'Wanted'.  After mulling it over a bit more, I decided not to ask the person to give me $5,000,000 required to level up to 10.  I believe that would indeed constitute cheating.  Why?  Because he's using hacked firmware and then hacking his game.  So while technically my game is not hacked, I would still benefit from someone else's game being hacked, so by extension I would be guilty of it.

The way I'm reaching level 10 instead, is using Sniper method with 2 consoles.  It will take considerably longer (40 hours), but I don't need to be present during that time, I just need to spend 3 minutes every hour to setup the match.  While it's still not doing it legit, it's exploiting something that's part of unmodified game - which is perfectly fine in my book (when it comes to stupid online grinds, that is).

Edited by Eternal21
  • Like 3

Here's what I found on ps3trophies.org (don't know if direct copy-paste is allowed, let me know if it isn't). Found in Announcements -> "Game saves and what you should know":

"Since this has become a huge issue recently, there are some things that you need to be aware of. Before continuing though, I need to define what our definition of "cheating" is. The policy of this site is that cheating is anything that goes beyond the scope of the game, what is included on the original disk, and what is included in future patches from the game's developer. Using a glitch in a game to acquire trophies, is not cheating. Using cheat codes to get trophies (if it is allowed in the game), is not cheating. Boosting is not cheating. All of those are allowed on this site.

However, there are new methods that go further than that. Downloading a game save to get you trophies is cheating. Using a hacked game save to get you trophies is cheating. Having someone log in to your account to get trophies in exchange for something is cheating. None of those three practices have ever been allowed on this site, on our sister site, or any other trophy site that wants to be reputable, legitimate, and respected.

The reason why you are reading this and I am writing this is that Sony agrees with us. PSN accounts that have used game saves to acquire trophies are now starting to be banned. If you had taken the time to read Sony's User License Agreement and Terms of Service, you would know that already. Portions of the EULA and TOS will be posted below."

The post goes on, but I think this is a pretty good answer to the question at hand. The entire post: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/470417-post1.html

Edited by Samis-86
  • Like 2

I understand hobbies of collecting something like platinum trophies, but using downloaded save or hacking to get more PS3 nerdpoints is beyond my understanding. I do some trophyhunting, but only because i like to play and really earn those. Okay, earn mostly, boosting online friendly match ain't really much earning, but mostly i just ignore all MP trophies. 

Everyone makes own decisions, but if i come across trophy what is beyond my abilities / time, then i don't get that. To me it's simple.

• Like 1

And I'm finally done!  Boy wast this trophy annoying, even without having to actually play.  In theory you make $132,000 every hour.  That means I had to set up the Happiness Island glitch 40 times.  But on a dozen of occasions the server didn't update the cash I won, so I had to do this over 50 times.  What really sucked is that I couldn't use my PS3's during that time, so in the end I ended up setting it up before I went to bed, and before I went to work.  This was my last online trophy (not counting Warhawk which I'm working on now):

34ifmus.png

Edited by Eternal21

If you cheat once who is to say you won't do it again. Just do the BDB2 sniper glitch, you should get there in no time. Unless there is a faster way to do it now

It’s a big chance that  if you cheat once, you will cheat again. Because it’s a grinding trophy, people want to get the trophy but don’t want to spend time on it(Reap without sowing). This is the first time, there comes the second, the third ....and go on because there will be more grinding/MP trophies when you play more games. So if you don't have time/skill to do it, then forget it.

Edited by JKDdragonwithin

I consider something as a cheat when a glitch,bug etc.  has been used willingly so that you could get an advantage. I would not consider a thing like that to be a cheat if it was accidental unless you did not take action to fix it.

I always wondered what is considered cheating or hacking :hmm:

I don't want to unintentionally "cheat" a game I'm playing.

Based on responses from people that actually bothered to answer the question, it looks like cheating for the purpose of the site is hacking the trophy so the timestamp is all screwed up, or using someone else's game save.

Edited by Eternal21

Wrong. Use of glitches is completely legal when it comes to this site.

Well I am quite confused, if you are talking about cheating in this site it means then that you use some method of obtaining trophies not the right way, (like you do same things then blahblah tehn you get plat like what I see in a few vids but if you are talking about cheating in-game then to me it's the the reply I posted.