The grind of RNG seems even worse than it was in Yakuza Zero

DaveMcDamage

Even with the cheat items this game is horrible to go for the 100% completion. I'm pretty sure the devs switch the difficulty of RNG to "Suffer you mugs" rather than actually test it. 

When I saw the new completion list the scores required were so much less than those in Zero I was buzzing, but what you then find out is that in Kiwami your betting is drastically reduced meaning trying to win 10K on Kiwami is no different to trying to win 1million on Zero. The RNG was bad for Zero, but its shockingly horrible for Kiwami. Not surprised console gaming in Japan has pretty much died when they had to put up with this crap all the time.

Yesterday I did blackjack, poker and baccarat. It took like, 5 hours, so yeah it's time consuming af, but at least it needs zero skill.

My biggest problem is mahjong, I can't play it for shit. Only got the full straight achievement for now, and only because I got lucky and I couldn't win any more matches after that lol

44 minutes ago, kanzenchaos said:

Yesterday I did blackjack, poker and baccarat. It took like, 5 hours, so yeah it's time consuming af, but at least it needs zero skill.

My biggest problem is mahjong, I can't play it for shit. Only got the full straight achievement for now, and only because I got lucky and I couldn't win any more matches after that lol

You lucky mother fuh........

Mahjong is actually one of my favourite mini-games so even though its a bitch with the RNG, I do like it so its not as frustrating. Although. Just been playing it and got royally screwed out of a full straight 4 times, one of them nearly made me smash the house up because I had such an amazing hand early on and had the choice to Riichi for 3 different tiles but not one popped up and it ended in a drawer. Don't forget though mate, that you can use the cheat tile so that will get the the full 100K (even though thats easy) as well as the haneman (which is about 13k with one win which can be tricky)

Just concentrate on triple and doubles and try to avoid stealing no matter how tempting it is, because it can be very difficult to win the hand then. Think of it as the Chinese and more complex version of Jim Rummy. 

40 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

You lucky mother fuh........

Mahjong is actually one of my favourite mini-games so even though its a bitch with the RNG, I do like it so its not as frustrating. Although. Just been playing it and got royally screwed out of a full straight 4 times, one of them nearly made me smash the house up because I had such an amazing hand early on and had the choice to Riichi for 3 different tiles but not one popped up and it ended in a drawer. Don't forget though mate, that you can use the cheat tile so that will get the the full 100K (even though thats easy) as well as the haneman (which is about 13k with one win which can be tricky)

Just concentrate on triple and doubles and try to avoid stealing no matter how tempting it is, because it can be very difficult to win the hand then. Think of it as the Chinese and more complex version of Jim Rummy. 

The thing is that I don't understand anything about mahjong, I never tried it before yesterday lol. I've been watching a few videos about it though
Thanks for the tip about the cheat tile though, do you know where I can get it? If it's substory or something else

Edit: Just found it, it's on locker coin I2

Edited by kanzenchaos

Hmm, it took me 174 hours to get the platinum for Zero so from the look of things it's gonna take me even longer or roughly the same amount of time as Zero then. I don't actually mind apart from the shitty mahjong, and a couple of other mini-games. Zero was definitely GOTY for me. Still waiting on a trophy guide so then i can start Kiwami and from the look of things I'm never gonna get it started. 

9 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yes just got the straight which also got me the final out and mangan so I too am finished with Mahjong. All I have left for the side stuff is the shogi stuff and just need 24 more gear items and then I can move onto the dreaded climax stuff. 

Shogi is actually all predetermined so you can just watch a guide and be done with it, good luck with the climax battles, I read some of them are a pain.

On 12/5/2018 at 3:19 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Even with the cheat items this game is horrible to go for the 100% completion. I'm pretty sure the devs switch the difficulty of RNG to "Suffer you mugs" rather than actually test it. 

When I saw the new completion list the scores required were so much less than those in Zero I was buzzing, but what you then find out is that in Kiwami your betting is drastically reduced meaning trying to win 10K on Kiwami is no different to trying to win 1million on Zero. The RNG was bad for Zero, but its shockingly horrible for Kiwami. Not surprised console gaming in Japan has pretty much died when they had to put up with this crap all the time.

That's what stopped me for going for the Plat. I've got a backlog of games and still got all the Yakuza series to play. I have copies of Yakuza 0 and then Yakuza Kiwami 2 waiting for on my shelf. So don't think I'm going to do any Yakuza plats. Maybe come back for the grind at a later stage

14 hours ago, DF007gamer said:

That's what stopped me for going for the Plat. I've got a backlog of games and still got all the Yakuza series to play. I have copies of Yakuza 0 and then Yakuza Kiwami 2 waiting for on my shelf. So don't think I'm going to do any Yakuza plats. Maybe come back for the grind at a later stage

Indeed.

Considering the amount of work thats been put into the remakes, you'd have thought they'd have chilled out from the originals in order to sell these new versions not only to new western gamers, but to those that already did the tedious stuff on the original games. I'm all for challenge but this is luck based and you could basically triple your needed time to plat them. Very stupid development and sales tactic. 

• Like 1

The gambling part of the cp completion is very RNG based. Even with cheat items the most tedious one I think are baccarat and Mahjong. The good part is that it doesn't require consecutive wins and can exit each game to save the progress unlike the Haruka requests where it needs to win x amount in a row. Some of the quite tedious weapons that requires winning ranked matches in Mahjong, many wins in shogi, and many gambling wins around 99,999 chips for exchanging prizes can be skipped for the requirement of 100 weapons. Getting around at least 11 million for the two highly priced weapons and other purchases can be the alternative for the weapon completion. Best way recommended by other players to acquire cash is to grind at the coliseum and pick the last match using Tiger drop to complete it.  

Edited by fantrig99

Never mind the RNG, have you seen the state of the cilmax battles. Looking back at how much I hated the climax on Zero, they actually got it right in terms of keeping them quick and so not making replays so much of a chore even if they were a bitch some of them. 

This pile o' s**t though has killed Kiwami for me. I have a quick read at each round I unlock and most on proving grounds have been s**t.Then I reach stage 7 where it gives you the gun, puts you in beast mode, gives a timer, and then reminds you how horrible the gun mechanics are in the game. I had a few goes and eventually got to the part where you leave the building and outside is a sort of boss and about 6 guys. No sooner had I walked out the door.... dead. What a pile of w**k!

Hopefully I will do it eventually because I would hate for this half-arsed developed s**t to wreck my completion after putting up with it, but wow the Japanese devs behind this know how to make sure things aren't fun in their games. I really liked the look of Kiwami 2, but again even though its a total remake its still old. Kiwami 1 is my final Yakuza game. I doubt they will ever better Zero.

EDIT

Had a couple more goes. After a few attempts I managed to get to the final part and got to hide a little behind the pillar. Shot the 6 guys and then had the boss to take care of. Got him down to half health and then he takes about 3 shots which normally sends him down but this time he took it and shot me dead even whilst I was moving and shooting. The climax modes are broken to f**k and won't be wasting anymore time with this s**t tonight. I wouldn't mind but the level is just too long to be a one-hit kill on you, kills run and replay value. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

4 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

Well I'm still stuck on the expert pool request from Haruka lol
The AI can basically hit any ball at any angle, it's frustrating af, and I suck at pool
Will call it a day and try again tomorrow

It can be tricky but its not as unfair as it may seem. 

It did take me a few goes but there was one thing I noticed. If you do a really bad attempt at getting the cue ball nearest to the back cushion, then whenever I did this the AI seemed to miss a lot more shots. Now that could be complete coincidence, but it did seem to happen when I did it that way. 

Try to make use of the carom and combination shots. Just because you have to hit a specific ball first, doesn't mean you only have to pot that one. top spin to left or right can help a lot when going for combi/carom shots. 

And in a way this is probably one of the more fairer mini-games as it requires you to have skill, rather than RNG or just being unfair. 

I still cannot do proving grounds 7, so you still have that s**t to look forward to after pool.  

Actually I still have the Otometal song before doing the ex-battles as well.

Did you already collect all 100 weapons / 70 gear items? The gambling hall ones must be one hell of a grind.

Edit: Just did that damn billiards request, ended 55-55 and I still won, I don't understand nothing about billiards so I'm not sure why I won lol

If I can get through that damn song I'm sure I can finish Haruka's requests tonight, let's hope for the best

Edit²: Fuck that retarded song lol It's not even a rhythm minigame because the button presses are not in rhythm with the music, it's so ridiculous

Edited by kanzenchaos

4 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

Actually I still have the Otometal song before doing the ex-battles as well.

Did you already collect all 100 weapons / 70 gear items? The gambling hall ones must be one hell of a grind.

Edit: Just did that damn billiards request, ended 55-55 and I still won, I don't understand nothing about billiards so I'm not sure why I won lol

If I can get through that damn song I'm sure I can finish Haruka's requests tonight, let's hope for the best

Edit²: Fuck that retarded song lol It's not even a rhythm minigame because the button presses are not in rhythm with the music, it's so ridiculous

Yeah I have everything done except for climax and legend playthrough. 

I know the frustration with the Otametal song. It took me around 40 goes until I really saw the pattern. There are a couple of sections which always got me. There is one section where its a long line of quick presses and the last icon is X, the next line is then something like O...O...X...X...S....S...T....T. When you hit the X on the first line at the end of that long rapid string, don't wait to press O on the next line but press it straight after the X on the previous line. The other tricky-ish part is right near the end when its 4 traingles and you hear 3,2,1 GO! Don't worry about the timing on that so much and instead mash triangle. You will easily get 3 out of 4 greats on that one. Its more about memory than it is rhythm as its pretty broken and more a case of learning when to press. I saw a great vid on Youtube which I used to memorize.

Hopefully you will get it done much quicker than what it took me to do.  

As for the weapons. The gambling hall wasn't too bad once I got the hang of it. Once I had all the CP accomplishments for those games, I actually built up enough points to buy what I needed. I think in the game there is something like 105 weapons and gear items there is something like 90. Gear was much quicker to get though. I used the guide on Gamefaqs to tick off everything I had. If you don't know how to see what you have already had just select accomplishments or side quest and then select play log. Weapons not listed are stuff like the CP reward weapons like golden pistol, dragon mail etc, but they still count towards the targets. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

I'll take notes of those tips when I try it again, I was able to get only 930 max and there's a couple sections which always get me too.

When the game switches to the fast lines I get lost 90% of the time lol

I got the infinite sprint so there's no way I could get the golden pistol =/ Hope it won't be much trouble to reach 100 weapons, I'm at 89 atm.

Edit: OH YEAH JUST GOT IT Barely made 950, but at least I'm not touching that damn song ever again, unless it's necessary in Kiwami 2 as well lol

Edited by kanzenchaos

18 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

I'll take notes of those tips when I try it again, I was able to get only 930 max and there's a couple sections which always get me too.

When the game switches to the fast lines I get lost 90% of the time lol

I got the infinite sprint so there's no way I could get the golden pistol =/ Hope it won't be much trouble to reach 100 weapons, I'm at 89 atm.

Edit: OH YEAH JUST GOT IT Barely made 950, but at least I'm not touching that damn song ever again, unless it's necessary in Kiwami 2 as well lol

Congrats man. 

It might be worth having a go at the climax battle though mate. The first 6 are easy enough once you know whats what, but stage 7 is just a broken piece of junk. I think this is the 4th day I've been on it now. Just had another 5 goes and the exact same thing happens all the time. Killed as soon as the outside stage section begins once you leave the house. I'm done with the piece of s**t now. I think I stuck with it because of how amazing Zero was, and I thought a remake and not a standard remaster would have made a big difference but it hasn't. Its still just an outdated pile of turd for gun play. 

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Congrats man. 

It might be worth having a go at the climax battle though mate. The first 6 are easy enough once you know whats what, but stage 7 is just a broken piece of junk. I think this is the 4th day I've been on it now. Just had another 5 goes and the exact same thing happens all the time. Killed as soon as the outside stage section begins once you leave the house. I'm done with the piece of s**t now. I think I stuck with it because of how amazing Zero was, and I thought a remake and not a standard remaster would have made a big difference but it hasn't. Its still just an outdated pile of turd for gun play. 

I see what you mean now, stage 7 is bs, the timing is so tight that everything has to be perfect =/

And yeah the gun mechanics suck so much, you can't even switch targets. That + the slow beast style makes this specific mission a huge pain.

30 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

Nope. Kiwami 2 has a different karaoke request, but the song is much easier.

That's a relief lol. Just the fact that dragon engine's karaoke is all a straight line makes the minigame a bit easier by default imo.

My Kiwami 2 copy should arrive next week, hope I can finish Kiwami 1 until then.

19 minutes ago, kanzenchaos said:

I see what you mean now, stage 7 is bs, the timing is so tight that everything has to be perfect =/

And yeah the gun mechanics suck so much, you can't even switch targets. That + the slow beast style makes this specific mission a huge pain.

That's a relief lol. Just the fact that dragon engine's karaoke is all a straight line makes the minigame a bit easier by default imo.

My Kiwami 2 copy should arrive next week, hope I can finish Kiwami 1 until then.

I've just this minute cancelled my amazon order for Kiwami 2. This broken s**t has put me right off the series. Now I don't have PS+ so I can create a new profile and get rid of this stain. Will deffo go through Zero again on the new profile but that is the start and finish to my Yakuza experience from now. Just heard they plan to release another game called Judgement. You play as a cop... once again in Kamarucho or whatever its called. Same small streets since 2004. Lazy f**kers man. 

I'm ranting now and don't want to spoil the thread for the rest of you guys. Enjoy and good luck.