Any suggested JRPGs? Other than Persona and Final Fantasy games

No longer here

1. Resonance of Fate is pretty different and plays a lot different from other JRPGs

2. Disgaea - This is a comical, tactical RPG that will crack you up with it's amazing moves and story. It's an addictive cycle and allows you the freedom to create some OP characters.

3. Valkyria Chronicles - this JRPG has a strange mix of third person shooting and tactical RPGs. The story is fantastic and has some tear-jerking moments that makes it an unforgettable experience... Even with the cheesy dialogue at times.

• Like 1

I second Valkyria Chronicles,Tales of, and Resonance of Fate. 

Valkyria Chronicles 4 just came out. If you love story and character development, definitely get VC4 -- you don't need to have played any in the series in order to really understand it. The English voice acting is on point, especially for the main characters. I thought VC4 was more superior than the original imho. 

I also recommend Trails of Cold Steel. It's super text heavy but it's a great story and I love the characters. 

Not sure if it's your cup of tea, but you could also check out Omega Quintet and Fairy Fencer F. The games are SO colorful, they are delightful. But be warned -- the platinum, especially for OG, is a nightmare. I don't want to think about the trauma I endured for the Fairy Fencer F plat...

• Like 2

Disgaea is kinda the standard for the PS4, but it depends on what you're looking for. Ni no Kuni is beautiful, but I haven't played the sequel. I Am Setuna is beautiful, but a little on the short side. Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and VC4 are great, but...wait, no, there are no negatives.

I hear good things about the Tales of games too.

It all depends on what type of JRPG you like to do, and whether your interested in playing different franchise's. Are you looking for good story, character development or a big grind (99% of JRPG). The Tales series are brilliant for story, character development and a good grind. Tales of Berseria (Recommend), tale of Zestria and the first tales game - secret of mana is out on ps4 and will give hours of fun, vesperia will be out soon. Sword art online do some good games, only played the accel world vs SAO, but I got lost song and fatal bullet, which are meant to be good.

I did find digimon world: next order, to be a lot of fun and a good grind, took me 203 hours to platinum, which is the longest I have ever played on a JRPG. The story is very short and can be done in less then 20 hours, but the platinum will take you way over the 100 hour's mark. But that depends if your a fan of the series, and don't mind a long grind. You could also try digimon cyber sleuth, which is good to play, don't know what digimon: hacker's memory is like, as I haven't played it yet. 

Star ocean is good, disgaea and hyper neptunia series there is a lot of games out there tales of series as well I believe there is 2 or 3 on the PS4 now and the Digimon cyber sleuth series is good kinda mix of final fantasy and pokemon with turn based play style but you have to battle to get data to make new Digimon anyways hope this helps 

15 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

1. Resonance of Fate is pretty different and plays a lot different from other JRPGs

2. Disgaea - This is a comical, tactical RPG that will crack you up with it's amazing moves and story. It's an addictive cycle and allows you the freedom to create some OP characters.

3. Valkyria Chronicles - this JRPG has a strange mix of third person shooting and tactical RPGs. The story is fantastic and has some tear-jerking moments that makes it an unforgettable experience... Even with the cheesy dialogue at times.

Actually Valkyria Chronicles 4 is probably next for me.

14 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Rogue Galaxy is on PS4, I played it for the first time not long ago and it’s amazing.

Dragon Quest XI.

dont bother with Ni no Kuni 2 if you care about story or character development. Because it has barely any story and zero character development. 

I actually finished Dragon Quest XI 100%, might also try DQVIII since I heard it's the most popular.

Jrpg is like a coarse and deep ocean to explore. As other people said you should try with the follow series: Neptune serie, Valkyria, Tales of, Star Ocean, Atelier, the new DQ, visual novels, Miku games as well, Senran kagura... And without trophies games like: Xenoblade, Baten kaitos, Fire emble, Ace attorney (the next year it will come on ps4) are also a good choice.

I love JRPGs too!

Here are a few of my recommendations:

PS4

Tales series, especially Vesperia (out next year Jan on PS4) and Berseria. Avoid Zestiria though as it's pretty rubbish.

Disgaea 5 if you like SRPGs filled with endless hours of leveling and grinding

Nier Automata, an action RPG with stunning design and a fantastic fluid battle system.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5. Probably the best action JRPG ever made, Birth by Sleep and KH2 were my personal favourites but this includes them all except the DS ones which are just the scenes.

Dragon Quest XI: The counterpart of FF in that it's the second most popular JRPG in Japan. It's turn based and traditional, but very immersive with lots of exploring as well.

Atelier series: I've just played Sophie and loved it, but I hear Firis is also good. There's more Atelier games to come on PS4. They focus on alchemy, so lots of gathering materials and crafting weapons and battle items. It's a turn based RPG. 

Ni No Kuni if you like Ghibli

Vita

Tales of Hearts R- a decent entry, not the best for story but fun gameplay.

Ys 8 (on both PS4 and vita)

Odin Sphere

Disgaea 3 and 4- includes all the DLC which is great

Atelier Sophie

I don't think these would really fit into JRPG, but Okami HD, the Yakuza series and 

• 2 weeks later...