Microsoft Confirms Xbox One Will Only Work in 21 States in the US at Launch

MidnightRadiance

After the announcement that the Xbox One will only work in some countries around the world at launch, Microsoft has also added that the Xbox One will only work in 21 states in the US at launch.

ifyouliveinaredstateyoumightaswellmoveal

Due to the way Microsoft has handled the Xbox One console policies, games can not be activated if you live in an unsupported region. This also appears to be true within the US where only certain states will be able to enjoy the Xbox One at launch. We spoke with a Microsoft representative about this decision.

“The states that will not be able to use the Xbox One have been determined by Microsoft to not be prime locations to launch the system; therefore, they will not be supported at launch,” said the representative, “However, all states will be able to use the Xbox One by the year 2015. This date is not final.”

We asked the representative why some states were chosen over others to which she replied, “Some factors Microsoft put into consideration included demand, the amount of complaints received from each state, internet quality, obesity rates, amount of Xbox Live users, quality of life and more. It was well thought out research and we stand by our decision to launch with only 21 states.”

“If you live in one of the states that unfortunately will not receive Xbox One support at launch, here are a few suggestions on what you can do,” said the representative, “You can relocate to a state that has Xbox One support, you can purchase an Xbox 360 which has no location restrictions, or you can wait patiently until support arrives at your state by 2015 or later.”

The following is the list of states that will support the Xbox One at launch:

Will be supported at launch:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

Will be supported by 2015 or later:
  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Mississippi
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming

Gamers in Washington, D.C., the capital of the US, have decided collectively against purchasing any Xbox One or Xbox 360 products as a form of protest. When we asked the representative about support in the capital, she responded, “It was definitely obesity and quality of life that made us decide they were not worth pursuing at all.”

Source: http://www.p4rgaming.com/microsoft-confirms-xbox-one-will-only-work-in-21-states-in-the-us-at-launch/

All i can say is Wow, how can they hope to sell this thing

Edited by MidnightRadiance

Considering how poor some of their other decisions have been, I'd say it's actually fairly believable.

Maybe if you're not that bright.

Even with the poor decisions made prior to, they've been made with an expanding business sense. This would provide the absolute contrary.

Just one more big "Fuck you" to add to the top of the pile. Why wasn't this disclosed at E3? Because "Fuck you", that's why.

Assuming there's any truth to the article, MS has probably just opened themselves up to a class action lawsuit from Xbone pre-order customers who weren't told the Xbox wouldn't work (or at least wasn't supported) in their location prior to purchase. While the article may be satire, I'm half-inclined to believe the outcome.

The Xbox apologists only retort against all of this draconian DRM shit is "We got games...herp derp", but most of those games are coming to PC. MS mustn't see PC as a competitor because...you know...Window$, but all this does is open the door wide open to Valve to release their SteamBox within the next year to take that gaming market away from them too.

I refuse to buy an Xbox One. I refuse to buy or even use Windows. But I will happily play any PC game on a Steam console. Make it so Gabe.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

Isn't this sort of true but not US states but countries. Eg I saw many people in Poland and Japan complaining that the Xbox One isn't supported in their country and they're all angry about it. Apparently Microsoft is making it very unclear what will happen in those countries that aren't supported. Something like that.

Maybe if you're not that bright.

Even with the poor decisions made prior to, they've been made with an expanding business sense. This would provide the absolute contrary.

Be careful there.

They're hardly made with good business sense - considering how many people literally CANNOT use the Xbox One based on the check-in features, and the number of low-income individuals that will flock to the PS4 for the lower price and ability to rent/trade games, they've already castrated their console launch. No one's questioning the "innovations" being made, but they're backed by almost zero business acumen. The entire theme of the Xbox One so far seems to be "gimmick and concept" over "sales and realism,", so if this limited American launch article has any grain of truth, it'd hardly be contrary to what they've already done.

Ignoring the fake theme, I wonder what they take in consideration when talking about obesity rates, does that means fat people can't play? Because gamers are mostly fat nerds who can't get laid, you are alienating a big part of your costumers.

Just in case: I'm kidding.

Be careful there.

They're hardly made with good business sense - considering how many people literally CANNOT use the Xbox One based on the check-in features, and the number of low-income individuals that will flock to the PS4 for the lower price and ability to rent/trade games, they've already castrated their console launch. No one's questioning the "innovations" being made, but they're backed by almost zero business acumen. The entire theme of the Xbox One so far seems to be "gimmick and concept" over "sales and realism,", so if this limited American launch article has any grain of truth, it'd hardly be contrary to what they've already done.

Hey, if you can find a better means of being able to play games without requiring the disc after installation and still be able to distribute said title without the eventual issue of piracy WITHOUT requiring console check-in, be my guest.

Unfortunately, they've come up with a means of making it possible on an international scale, but it just doesn't seem to be working out, nor does anyone seem to be giving them a chance. Definitely not enough of a chance to be able to put this into practice long enough for any of it to become functional or run testing.

Nevertheless, I'm wasting my breath. There will always be a sense of ignorance, especially within biased communities; whether it be by choice, or just lack of understanding.

Also, I hope you don't think that any of this was referring to you or anyone in particular; more so intended to be general statements based upon the craptastic comments we've been subjected to for the past week.

tl;dr: Almost one hundred percent sure that this topic is based on false material (satire).

If this is true then I just had the best laugh I could ask for

Edit: found this after some digging http://playstationgang.com/countries-that-are-not-supported-at-xbox-one-launch/ it does not confirm the idea that there will only be 21 states that can play the system but rather 21 counties...

Edited by griffthedragoon

If this is true then I just had the best laugh I could ask for

Edit: found this after some digging http://playstationgang.com/countries-that-are-not-supported-at-xbox-one-launch/ it does not confirm the idea that there will only be 21 states that can play the system but rather 21 counties...

Yep just what i thought i remember seeing this article a while ago .