Living with my autistic sister

Remilia Scarlet

I'm literally to the point of tears. You're a goddamn amazing person. I'm a social worker who cares for children who are on the spectrum too, and I know how hard it can sometimes be. But the amount of love, effort, time and money you put into taking care of your sister is nothing less than absolutely incredible. You're an example for every sibling out there.

Besides that, I know I'm just a random person on the internet but I've told several people this before. If you ever need someone to talk to who isn't involved in your life, which can really be helpful at times, send me a DM. I will always make time for you. 

• Like 1

You sound absolutely amazing and I honestly wish the best for your family, if you ever need someone to talk to/ vent to then please feel free to message me. I don't know much about autism but I would happily listen and help you if you ever needed it, even if its something simple. =) 

Glad you got your sister in custody. Your story about how abusive your mother was really hit a spot for me. Mind you, I don't know exactly how that is but I can't definitely tell it's something that shouldn't be condoned or accepted (having abusive parents I mean). I also don't know much about autism but reading about the behavior she would often assume has given a pretty good idea. Your sister must really look up to you. Hope you guys continue that warm sisterhood together for many years to come.

Joining the posters above, if you ever need someone to talk about, feel free to send me a PM. I'm a great listener and could offer the best tips and comprehension I can. :)

You are an amazing person for sharing your story, as it brought me to tears reading everything you have been through and having the strength to look after your sister. As someone with autism myself, I can relate greatly with her, as I too have had a hard time getting into certain video games, such as MMORPG’s, which I admit that they turned me off after a few hours back then, but I found one I could get into (Phantasy Star Online 2) which forever changed my perception of the genre, and since then, I was able to enjoy them! I wish the best for you and your family, and for you and your sister to continue the strong bond you guys have now!

As with the other posters, if you need a friend or someone to talk to or vent about anything with, you can send me a PM on here or talk to me on Discord! I’ll do my best to respond whenever I can. :)

Growing up in the 80s and 90s, my family treated me like gold. Compared to other autistic people out there, I'm one of the fortunate ones who has a good network. Not having a good network breaks a lot of us. Good for you for looking out for your sis, btw. :)

Edited by thepeaguy

24 minutes ago, dropsofjupiter said:

Two weeks ago, he ended his life after a year and a half of incurable torment. He was my hero. He's with God now and past his sufferings, for which I am very grateful. My mom called him “an innocent”. I have a wonderful life because of all that he did for me. Autism is difficult to live with, mostly for the person who has it. If I had the chance to do it again, knowing all that I know now, I would do it in a heartbeat. But this time, I would be a better genie. I would spoil him and love him as if it were my only mission in life. He was soooo worth it.

I am so sorry he passed away but also really happy he had such an impact on your life, I'm more than certain he also knew how much you loved him. =) It's not easy going through a death so if you ever need someone to talk to then please also feel free to do so, I would love to hear all about him if you did. ^_^

• Like 1

I’m a hopeless clown and jokester to which nothing seems holy, the right address for when one needs to have their mind taken off the present situation but (still) catching up on the 101 of suave words of comfort between adults. After years of isolation and again made to play sitting ducks right now, I’m not there yet (still seeking that magic wand to wave and make it go whoosh).

Even so, I want to try to convey my feelings to both of you and hope they can be a small source of an appreciating sigh or even a small smile. 

I want to tell both of you @Remi-chan and @dropsofjupiter ‘thank you’. There is something common found in what each of you said and more so in how you said it - despite that I understand that you currently find yourselves in grossly different circumstances.

Thank you for sharing. 

And thank you for acting as if having a loved one with a formal impairment is normal. Because it is. It’s easy to proclaim such (and, of course, it’s words that can be a first, important step to put forth an idea or ideal into reality) but it is people like you that prove it. Everyday. Small treasures like these are sacred. A person with an impairment - a disorder, a syndrome, an illness - is human like everyone else. Not less of a person but as brimming with life and joy and despair and anger and hope and needs and wants as everyone out there and both of you have spoken about your experiences in a way that hints at that you know.

And although I’ll never be in a position to benefit from your generosity and empathy in all the great little interactions in everyday life, knowing that you are out there - that you have been living with that attitude until now and treating those around you with an uncanny understanding that they’re as similar to you and others as they seem to be different from everyone else - is a small source of happiness to me. 

Thank you.

• Like 3

You yourself remind me a lot of a kid who is now the same age you are. He turns 23 in a few months, but that is close enough, because you were both born in the same year (1996).

He was autistic and very much volatile. It took a couple years for me to find out that he was physically and sexually abused by his uncle. Even 20 years later he still sits in a prison cell, but it's very unlikely this kid will ever visit him because of the damage he caused to him.

He got into a lot of fights starting from kindergarten up through fourth and fifth grade. He was suspended on several occasions and the school even considered expelling him because he was too much of a danger to other kids. Long story short, he was an attention seeker and his way of releasing was anger was getting overly aggressive whenever you didn't let him do what he wanted to do. Now a lot of kids have this attitude but a good majority of them forget about it or they do something else that occupies their attention.

The last I heard of him was in the summer of 2016 when he was begging my dying grandmother for money. He was 20 years old, and from I got of him he was rather short and stocky. He is still the victim of child abuse and he is extremely autistic.

This is a very sad story you posted, and I wish all the best for your sister because when an adult abuses them at a very young age, that leaves a lasting scar that will stick around even well into adulthood.

Pedophiles, people who take pleasure in abusing little kids deserve absolutely nothing and should be thrown in prison. Not surprisingly, they are often the target of other prisoners because they themselves probably also got abused and hated by their parents and guardians.

I wish you both the best and hope you can work towards a better future for the both of you.

• Like 1