What do britans think of americans?

Fierce_DeityX1

I think attributing prejudice specifically between Britain and the US is pointless. Idiots are blessed in that they aren't restricted by one geographic location and since the internet appeared it has really opened their ability to get their voices heard.

I always think that people who say things like -  'The Americans are fat' or 'Those British people all have bad teeth' haven't really thought it through because there are people with bad teeth in places other than Britain and there are people with obesity issues in places other than America.

• Like 2

As a nation, we complain about everyone and everything, we probably complain about you guys too. But it's all muddled up in the crap weather comments, Quing times and usually takes place in dole queues or at bus stops...

• Like 2

We don't hate you we just gently dislike you because of your general arrogance, stupidity (by that I mean misuse of our language, not intellectually of course xD because that's stereotyping ) and because you replaced us as the leading power. We will always be allies though, its not that we hate you its that we joke about you behind your back :lol:, as i'm sure you do too. It's nothing to do with the war of independence that was just too long ago, and frankly we don't care. Maybe its also because all of our tv and films are from the US and they show US culture (which is ever so slightly different to ours) as normal and correct. Maybe if there was more TV and Films from here, like you know the TV shows where it's set in a US school, maybe if there was more in British schools, or maybe if you started speaking our language correctly, and also you expect us to know your history, my friend went to US on holiday and was called stupid because he didn't know who Teddy Roosevelt was - WE DON'T LEARN US HISTORY IN SCHOOLS HOLLYWOOD DON'T BRAND US AS STUPID BECAUSE WE ONLY LEARN EUROPEAN HISTORY. And another thing we don't always drink tea and eat scones and crumpets, and we don't all speak in he posh accent you all think we speak in, and we don't all love the queen - the majority of us do, including me, but not all

Edited by Ebbwvalerule
  • Like 1

As a nation, we complain about everyone and everything, we probably complain about you guys too. But it's all muddled up in the crap weather comments, Quing times and usually takes place in dole queues or at bus stops...

i blame it on the shitty weather, mate!! ;)

• Like 1

i blame it on the shitty weather, mate!! ;)

lol yeah our weather is crap. ALSO ANOTHIR THING TO ADD TO MY EARLIER RANT - Football is not soccer, we called it football 1st. American football should be called either pussy rugby, soccer, or rugby- now with pads and helmets

Edited by Ebbwvalerule

I was born and grew up in London where I spent my time until after I finished university. The majority of movies, TV and videogames I played all originated from America, Japan as well as the rest of Europe. My grandparents were very keen on getting me interested in World Cinema too. So from an early age I had exposure to a number of different cultures which later evolved into travelling around the planet as much as possible.

I never once generalized another country or group of people within that country. I was aware of certain 'reputations' that different groups had, but I found it to be so ridiculous that I just dismissed these generalizations as plain foolish and that they generally came from people that have no perspective or awareness of the way the world actually works. People who get hung up on the finer points of another culture and use it as a way to 'put down' the culture need to get some perspective.

lol even worse than my stereotyping

comics-britain-america-chips-403974.jpeg

lol

great-britain-before-and-after-256339.jp

lol

funny-couldnt-hear-sound-freedom-free-he

I personally think that the way you Yanks pronounce the word "Mobile" is silly. :P

don't get me started, oh wait too late

its sweets not candy

football not soccer

aluminium (ALUMINIUM) not ALUMINUM

Pavement not sidewalk

Trousers not pants (pants are what you wear underneath)

Britain not England (YES THERE IS A DIFFERENCE)

Sulphur not Sulfur

lift not elevator

boot not trunk

autumn not fall

rubbish or litter not garbage or trash

car park not parking lot

crisps not chips

Action man not GI JOE

adder not viper

Black pudding not blood sausage

police not cops

prison not jail

ice lolly not popsicle

pushchair not stroller

sat nav not GPS (GPS is used in other contexts)

spanner not wrench

toffee apple not caramel apple

university not college (college used in other contexts)

wing mirrors not side view mirrors

skip not dumpster

chips not fries

tap not faucet

underground not subway

post not mail

garden not yard

motorway not highway

mobile phone not cell phone

holiday not vacation

postcode not zip code

petrol not gas

taxi not cab

jam not jelly

nappy not diaper

Z (zed) not Z (zee)

Zebra (Zebra) not Zebra (Zeebra)

GOD THE LIST IS ENDLESS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_American_and_British_English

Edited by Ebbwvalerule

don't get me started, oh wait too late

its sweets not candy

football not soccer

aluminium (ALUMINIUM) not ALUMINUM

Pavement not sidewalk

Trousers not pants (pants are what you wear underneath)

Britain not England (YES THERE IS A DIFFERENCE)

Sulphur not Sulfur

lift not elevator

boot not trunk

autumn not fall

rubbish or litter not garbage or trash

car park not parking lot

crisps not chips

chips not fries

tap not faucet

underground not subway

post not mail

motorway not highway

mobile phone not cell phone

holiday not vacation

postcode not zip code

petrol not gas

taxi not cab

nappy not diaper

GOD THE LIST IS ENDLESS

lol, well we can't expect them to get everything right now can we? :lol::P

lol, well we can't expect them to get everything right now can we? :lol::P

well the least they could do is treat our language with some respect by speaking it properly- it is our language after all

Z is the worst

IT IS Z (ZED) NOT Z (ZEE), get that into your heads

Edited by Ebbwvalerule

well the least they could do is treat our language with some respect by speaking it properly- it is our language after all

I suppose, fair point. They do "borrow" the language from us anyway they just Americanise it. But the way they prounce some stuff does confuse me such as Mobile which I find funny, but also Aluminium. The way they spell that just makes it look like a typo lol.

And I mean no dis-respect as lets face it Americans are better at many things than us Brits.

I suppose, fair point. They do "borrow" the language from us anyway they just Americanise it. But the way they prounce some stuff does confuse me such as Mobile which I find funny, but also Aluminium. The way they spell that just makes it look like a typo lol.

And I mean no dis-respect as lets face it Americans are better at many things than us Brits.

like what?

We are far superior in every way (gosh I'm starting to sound like Hitler)